Paul Larkin's latest blog - 'This may be business, it's never personal but it's always Celtic'

We've won 8 league titles in a row, an unprecedented treble-treble, 10 domestic trophies in a row and we're sitting top of the league. Yet I, similar to Lubo, have this season more than ever found it hard to get motivated by the football. I can't quite out my finger on it.

At times I've thought perhaps I was suffering from winners fatigue or even had grown into a sense of self-entitlement (in terms of winning) that turned into a kind of robotic expectation of winning. But I'm not one of these folk who 'only know when Celtic won', I remember the horrific 1990s (although, as any Celt around then will tell you, we did have a special kind of camaraderie back then).

On the other hand, the atmospheres for Lazio, even Cluj, were fantastic and felt like the good old days. I guess what gets me down more than anything is how soulless things are becoming in terms of my interaction with the club. We put so much money in to the club, and hardly any of us are rich, and it feels as if we're just waiting for the next scam to willingly allow ourselves to be fleeced in. T

here is undoubtedly a profound disconnect between the board/top table lash up brigade and the fans. It's feels sometimes like we just exist to fill up their bank accounts. I know there has to be that component, but it's totally imbalanced at the moment, given we are the greatest asset the club has. And that's what I'll always love about our club - the people and the comradeship. Assuming it lasts.

Anyone who still thinks Lawwell and the Board have Celtic's best interest at heart should think again after reading this account .
Too many on here , myself included , over the last few years have criticised the poor transfer dealings ( in the main ) that have left us weaker than we should be . Lack of cover at the back , too little up front and a midfield that has been run into the ground over the past three seasons .

I am seriously worried about the rest of this season - when I , like everyone else , should have been enjoying the completion of ( another ) 9 IAR , with the 10 almost guaranteed as Sevco imploded . Instead we have the prospect of taking the title down to the wire -( I say WE but in truth it is the gutless , money grubbing parasites that constitute our Board who are to blame ) .
I will not be holding my breath for a major signing to bolster our tired squad - nor am I expecting a sudden discovery of BALLS in the boardroom , and I don't mean a size 5 mouldmaster ! ( one for the grey beards among us )
Big Pete will be celebrating soon if the extra Dembele cash comes through - but it won't mean a thing to the supporters if we bring in an unknown 'development' prospect to add to the many we already have .

HH
Ooft I can still feel the sting of the mitre 5 smack off the body on a freezing cold Saturday morning schools league game. If you hadn't woken up properly yet, you definitely were awake after that ba' stung you ...ouch

We've won 8 league titles in a row, an unprecedented treble-treble, 10 domestic trophies in a row and we're sitting top of the league. Yet I, similar to Lubo, have this season more than ever found it hard to get motivated by the football. I can't quite out my finger on it.

At times I've thought perhaps I was suffering from winners fatigue or even had grown into a sense of self-entitlement (in terms of winning) that turned into a kind of robotic expectation of winning. But I'm not one of these folk who 'only know when Celtic won', I remember the horrific 1990s (although, as any Celt around then will tell you, we did have a special kind of camaraderie back then).

On the other hand, the atmospheres for Lazio, even Cluj, were fantastic and felt like the good old days. I guess what gets me down more than anything is how soulless things are becoming in terms of my interaction with the club. We put so much money in to the club, and hardly any of us are rich, and it feels as if we're just waiting for the next scam to willingly allow ourselves to be fleeced in. T

here is undoubtedly a profound disconnect between the board/top table lash up brigade and the fans. It's feels sometimes like we just exist to fill up their bank accounts. I know there has to be that component, but it's totally imbalanced at the moment, given we are the greatest asset the club has. And that's what I'll always love about our club - the people and the comradeship. Assuming it lasts.
That part will always last Sam ☘👍

Very true what you say lubo of the game down south aspect I'm focussing on here. My brother in law was a mad crazy in love with his Birmingham when we first met and I was so happy for him that day Birmingham beat arsenal to win the league cup final, it meant everything to him. Fast forward a decade or so and hes barely interested in the game let alone Birmingham city. I used to wind him up about Birmingham but your club is your club and that's all that matters. Looking at the same tournament today and I wonder did anyone even notice that Leicester and villa played out a 1all draw in the league cup semis last night ? I doubt it, not long ago that would have been massive news for those 2 to reach this stage but now the supporters all know that the tournament is not a reflection of the teams competing for it. Take villa's 5-0 demolition of liverpool's u11s for example and you see just how devalued the tourney has become. The same goes now (or is at least getting there) with the FA cup. Liverpool u23s v Everton in the quarter finals of the greatest domestic cup competition in the world. That liverpool won was shocking for an Everton team worth hundreds of millions and a top manager to boot. More shocking though to me is just how little emphasis or priority liverpool as a club now place in either cup competitions. Even with the lead they have at the top of the premier league being virtually unassailable, liverpool, 1 of the top 2 most successful clubs in english football history simply aren't interested. I remember that man utd , the other of the 2 clubs most successful in English football started this some years ago when they decided not to take part in the fa cup but instead they would play in the idiotic tournament that is the world club cup alongside such giants of world football as Sydney f.c and the Egyptian champions etc. Try to cut this short by saying that you're not alone not by far and many many people have fallen out of love with the game and how its run with no thought to the paying supporters given nor asked. A few years of the game having an enforced sponsorship embargo, where clubs make only the cash they generate from gate receipts, shirt sales etc would give the game a much needed boot up the arse and remind clubs (all clubs) the reason for why they are still in existence after a hundred years or in some cases 8 is the supporters who pay for the privilege of watching the team they love. I will always love my Celtic but I'm also very disillusioned with the game and its structuring. Rangers cheating Russia cheating SFA cheating UEFA and fifa cheating it's a sad indictment of the game today (rant done)
Brilliant rant Winter! Hail Hail ☘

Think ye nailed it there Sam "Soulless", there seem's to be a massive disconnect, between the board's vision and the fan's vision of what our club stand's for,why it became into being in the first place, not to become some corporate entity, sponsored by fuckin bookies, the peddlars of misery,when one of our players show's flair and form, instantly the reaction is "we could sell him for £millions!" watchin the "Lion's" nobody thought phuq, we could sell Jinky and make a fortune!, think the first real boot in the baws, was when we sold Kenny!, just feel the "business" has superceded the ethos of our club! rant over! 🍺

Think ye nailed it there Sam "Soulless", there seem's to be a massive disconnect, between the board's vision and the fan's vision of what our club stand's for,why it became into being in the first place, not to become some corporate entity, sponsored by fuckin bookies, the peddlars of misery,when one of our players show's flair and form, instantly the reaction is "we could sell him for £millions!" watchin the "Lion's" nobody thought phuq, we could sell Jinky and make a fortune!, think the first real boot in the baws, was when we sold Kenny!, just feel the "business" has superceded the ethos of our club! rant over! 🍺
And a fine rant it was MD 👍 I suspect there will be quite a few more rants like yours ,Sam's and mine to come as it's only the 9th and the partick game is on the 18th (God save us all) especially from the drivel the english cups are throwing up. That liverpool v Everton game btw imagine back to when we were aw weans (too long for my imagination) and your da or brother or someone is taking you to see you're first derby game. All excited (especially liverpool waens) about seeing Salah, Mane VVD et all. Once in the stadium at the derby quarter final under the lights and the waen starts saying who was that da that scored the goal? Nae idea son ffs 😕

The championship in England is a far better division methinks, half the division can still be promoted. Excellent attendances 6th highest attended div in Europe domestically and always guaranteed a new winner 😛

Much the same way as the Europa League is becoming a more enjoyable competition to watch than the Champions League, which I seldom bother watching anymore.

Much the same way as the Europa League is becoming a more enjoyable competition to watch than the Champions League, which I seldom bother watching anymore.
Agreed who would have thought 5 years ago that the Europa league would overtake the champions league in terms of real competition and surprises (only cl surprises are which 4 non privileged clubs qualify) and its fantastic to watch too the passion from the fans from eintracht , Celtic, the rangers arsenal. Put Celtic in any euro competition and the attendances will rocket and the best argument for that is the graph another member posted last week where in European football regardless of the tournament celtic in the second tier tournament are still 3rd most watched side in European competition including the champions (not really champions, haven't won anything for over 10 years if you're spurs) league haha. Gives me immense pride that wee stat. Should also scrap the parachute from cl to el last 32 for 3rd place teams. As once more its rewarding failure. I look at cluj and like us were superb finishing in 2nd to be rewarded with a tie against drop outs Seville. To me that's just not right you either progress or you're out. Dont be surprised to see the 4and bottom cl clubs play off for a place in el last 32

Last edited:
Some of you bhoys have said it better than me. I've not falling out of love with celtic....its the game that I'm hating a bit at the moment. The fans make Celtic, I get that. But our board are turning it into a soulless company....I'm sure Lawwell would rather us like united or arsenal. Some tourist attraction full of people there to take pictures rather than support the team.
Their lack of support for everything that Celtic stand for, their lack of support for our players does nothing but make me angry. I've got enough stress in my life 😂😂😂

Some of you bhoys have said it better than me. I've not falling out of love with celtic....its the game that I'm hating a bit at the moment. The fans make Celtic, I get that. But our board are turning it into a soulless company....I'm sure Lawwell would rather us like united or arsenal. Some tourist attraction full of people there to take pictures rather than support the team.
Their lack of support for everything that Celtic stand for, their lack of support for our players does nothing but make me angry. I've got enough stress in my life 😂😂😂
Still we all got what you meant and what you weren't meaning lubo ☘

Members online

Latest posts

Back