PETER HITHENS,is he right?????

PETER HITCHENS: This Great Panic is foolish, yet our freedom is broken

https://mol.im/a/8163587
It's still unclear whether he is right or wrong, Ray, but judging by events in Italy, Spain and New York, it's likely better to err on the side of caution - particularly in densely populated cities like Glasgow.

There's that cultural issue in the Latin countries where you can have up to four or five generations of one family living in one house. That partly explains the rampant spread and New York is an other over populated series of boroughs that makes contact almost unavoidable.

I guess the numbers by the end of this week coming will let us know if isolation and restriction of movement is a plausible answer, but I have the feeling that any alternative argument is going to fall on deaf ears. In fact, it would be more likely that further restrictions are put in place.

It's still unclear whether he is right or wrong, Ray, but judging by events in Italy, Spain and New York, it's likely better to err on the side of caution - particularly in densely populated cities like Glasgow.

There's that cultural issue in the Latin countries where you can have up to four or five generations of one family living in one house. That partly explains the rampant spread and New York is an other over populated series of boroughs that makes contact almost unavoidable.

I guess the numbers by the end of this week coming will let us know if isolation and restriction of movement is a plausible answer, but I have the feeling that any alternative argument is going to fall on deaf ears. In fact, it would be more likely that further restrictions are put in place.
Fair point SP, his article opens up the debate even further ,re ,the bill to be paid at the end ,austerity during the Cameron /May time may be chicken feed compared to what is to come ,nowt is for free ,!!!!!,last night on sky report ,citizens in Italy ,are really concerned now ,such that they are raiding shops, even willing to carry knives ,and to use them to get what they want ,we are heading for bad times ,Europe will be the first to rebel I fear ,watch this space hh

Fair point SP, his article opens up the debate even further ,re ,the bill to be paid at the end ,austerity during the Cameron /May time may be chicken feed compared to what is to come ,nowt is for free ,!!!!!,last night on sky report ,citizens in Italy ,are really concerned now ,such that they are raiding shops, even willing to carry knives ,and to use them to get what they want ,we are heading for bad times ,Europe will be the first to rebel I fear ,watch this space hh
I was heading home from work at 7pm yesterday, Ray and there were 4 firies and four fuzz vans at the nearby multis.

I think folk are beginning to go stir crazy now. I chapped the walls last night because the lassie next door was absolutely screaming at her bairn. I was that close to phoning the fuzz myself on her. No excuses, but I think it's beginning to take its toll.

There are WhatsApp and online groups planning to have a big meet soon and that will undoubtedly be the tipping point for the current truce to be well and truly put to an end. I assume that similar types of things are likely happening all over the UK and civil unrest looks pretty much guaranteed at some point.

I try to highlight how brutal the fuzz and the army are in these scenarios. I try to describe events in Ireland and during the miners strike, but the young ones still see this as a bit of an adventure at the moment.

It looks pretty ominous, Ray.........

I was heading home from work at 7pm yesterday, Ray and there were 4 firies and four fuzz vans at the nearby multis.

I think folk are beginning to go stir crazy now. I chapped the walls last night because the lassie next door was absolutely screaming at her bairn. I was that close to phoning the fuzz myself on her. No excuses, but I think it's beginning to take its toll.

There are WhatsApp and online groups planning to have a big meet soon and that will undoubtedly be the tipping point for the current truce to be well and truly put to an end. I assume that similar types of things are likely happening all over the UK and civil unrest looks pretty much guaranteed at some point.

I try to highlight how brutal the fuzz and the army are in these scenarios. I try to describe events in Ireland and during the miners strike, but the young ones still see this as a bit of an adventure at the moment.

It looks pretty ominous, Ray.........
Just need to stay as calm as poss SP, on one hand ,stay healthy and safe ,physically,on the other not going ‘stir crazy’,it is not the human make up to be cooped up ,!!!!! My concern like yours is the,totalitarian attitude that may be taken against us ,if this comes to pass ,what will it be like in the furture,?hh

Just on bbc news updates, the possibility that this containment could be in place for a indefinmate time ? Can you imagine the outcome .? It’s ok for the powers that be to isolate and not worry about their future !what about the rest ,how do they survive much longer, money will run out at some point ,what have they put in place to sustain this amount of money being ‘put’ into the system,? For how long ,the latest unemployment figures in the USA is at its highest ever ,!
of course we are only concerned about ourselves,but none the less what happens there reflects on everyone,? If it is extended for an undetermined length what then ,could be there will be long term serious effect here and elsewhere, hope not a doom monger, not intended, just my take on what may be, take care all 🙏hh

Shit, forgot to mention..........

I've also been issued papers from my employers to show to the polis if I'm stopped going to and fro work.

When the SS start putting up wire fences, then I'll know for sure that it's time to suspend my disbelief.
Got the same thing that I keep in the car: Because I work part-time at a supermarket (I'm the bookkeeper), apparently I am an "essential front-liner," whatever that means.

I think we need to remember how lucky we are, we have an exceptional health service that's free and we have a government who is trying to pay the majority of us. (I'll skip the idea that the government are trying to kill us all because they're tory bastards)
If this shitstorm hits India or Bangladesh bad, it's going to be horrific, massively overcrowded areas, hundreds of millions living in poverty who live hand to mouth. Same applies to some African countries, poverty, overpopulation, limited health care. It will be impossible for governments in some countries to implement the measures our government have taken (yes I know murdering tory bastards etc etc but you get my point hopefully)

Most of us have never known real hardship, we’ve been skint mibbes took ginger bottles to the shop bought a couple of single fags but not real hardship like pre NHS and welfare state days and youngsters think not having an I phone is poverty maybe folk are too spoiled surely a few weeks at home is a small price to pay it must be shite if yer stuck in a tower block but theres loads a free stuff on line movies books music its Only been a week ffs and folk going daft already ah think theres a lot of folk that should have got a boot in the arse years ago and telt that ye can’t always get what you want ,for the first time in our lives we’re being asked to give up our pleasures for a few weeks there not gone forever ah jist think everyone that’s going daft has tae calm down grow up and take our medicine and get through this coz goin In a huff is no helping anyone obviously this wee rant is directed at all them out there no us on here coz we’re all sound as fuck.

Most of us have never known real hardship, we’ve been skint mibbes took ginger bottles to the shop bought a couple of single fags but not real hardship like pre NHS and welfare state days and youngsters think not having an I phone is poverty maybe folk are too spoiled surely a few weeks at home is a small price to pay it must be shite if yer stuck in a tower block but theres loads a free stuff on line movies books music its Only been a week ffs and folk going daft already ah think theres a lot of folk that should have got a boot in the arse years ago and telt that ye can’t always get what you want ,for the first time in our lives we’re being asked to give up our pleasures for a few weeks there not gone forever ah jist think everyone that’s going daft has tae calm down grow up and take our medicine and get through this coz goin In a huff is no helping anyone obviously this wee rant is directed at all them out there no us on here coz we’re all sound as fuck.

Feck i forgot all about buyin single fags :ROFLMAO:

Feck i forgot all about buyin single fags :ROFLMAO:
I saw a guy in Kirkton, Dundee try to buy a single egg. The guy on the van said, who the fuck will buy a box of 6 eggs that only has 5 in it ? Saw a lassie buy a single nappy as well. Kirkton was well grim in the 80s n 90s.
Poverty during the current crisis must be particularly hard. How can ye stock up when ye have fuck all.

I saw a guy in Kirkton, Dundee try to buy a single egg. The guy on the van said, who the fuck will buy a box of 6 eggs that only has 5 in it ? Saw a lassie buy a single nappy as well. Kirkton was well grim in the 80s n 90s.
Poverty during the current crisis must be particularly hard. How can ye stock up when ye have fuck all.
80s used to work a fruit stall on a well known market circuit , was a good craic made some dough and met some great characters ,moved from town to city , used to get folk comin around at closing pickin from the dumped fruit box's they just didn't have the money , mouths to feed it was the start of the thatcher period

if you cracked open a box any waste got dumped in the box's for the bin men to lift , end of the day i used to just tip good fruit n veg in with the waste cos the guy who i worked for was a tight fkr and we found out a tory voter .

Used to bag the tatties n fire them out to folk under the guise they'd already paid ,,,got fired in the end but it was worth it cos for 2yrs some familys got a good feed and the folk went home wi full bags ,,,,,,,i even rigged the scales

Todays familys don't know the hardships and the new ones who miscried the folk on the dole as lazy and living it up now find the harsh reality that even just making a claim is a stressfull situation ,and the not knowing if your payment will even arrive

Members online

Latest posts

Back