Peter Lorimer RIP

Here ye go Fifty, Larry will like this too, him being a newspaper man.

" Celtic wrote the most glittering chapter in Scottish football history at Hampden last nigh with a spellbinding display of bewildering Soccer.
They gave proud Leeds United a lesson and worthily earned the distinction of being the first British team to reach the the final of the EC for the second time.
Every Scot must praise Celtic, Celtic the bold, Celtic the wonderful,Celtic the masters. The vast crowd of 130,000 went wild with delight as the Celts, some wearing the white shirts of United, did a lap of honour at the end.
And the vast crowd just wouldn't leave, wanting to stay in the fairyland that was Hampden last night, a fairyland of a Scottish football dream come true. And Celtic won against the odds, beating the English champions in memorable fashion home and away. Leeds were a battered, beaten team at the finish, baffled and outclassed, made to look pedestrian against class, imagination and artistry of the magnificent Scots. Yet it might all have been do different. Celtic were without Willie Wallace, hurt at training. And they lost an early goal. What a tragedy this migh have been. Only 14 mins had gone but Celtic were taking command, playing fantastic, attractive football, with John Hughes worrying the Leeds defence in the middle and Jimmy Johnstone again an ace on the wing. But suddenly Billy Bremner showed why he is Scotland's skipper. This fiery little bundle- ten stones of barbed wire is his description in Leeds- saw a chance. He edged forward deep into Celtic territory and before Billy McNeil and company even scented danger the ball was in the net. From 25 yards the Leeds captain thundered a shot. With the wind behind it , the ball swerved giving poor Evan Williams no chance.
So all Celtics advantage had gone. But we're they dismayed? Not a bit of it. Celtic merely proceeded to play even better football, football that thrilled every Scottish heart and even English heads were nodding in admiration. For a long time though it looked like it wasn't to be Celtics night. As Williams was practically a spectator, the Leeds goal bore a charmed life. Celtic might have had a penalty when a Hay shot hit Hunter in the arm. But the German ref who was firm and efficient said no. And twice a white clad defender whipped the ball of the goal line with Sprake beaten. Now and again United looked dangerous although they lacked ideas and were slow in the build up. Celtic, however, were biding their time. They continued to play enhancingly with everyone a hero.
And two minutes after the interval they had their reward. A corner. Davie Hay took a short one. Bertie Auld whipped the ball across goal and there was John Hughes to head snappily into the net. They might have heard the roar in Leeds- and it certainly was Uniteds death knell.
Everyone at Hampden knew they would never come back, not against Celtic playing with the enthusiasm of schoolboys and the skill of Real Madrid at their greatest.
Sprake was injured, and on came David Harvey. He will never forget his Hampden baptism. For hardly had he handled the ball than Celtic had the ball in his net. It was another gem, a beauty out of the text book. Murdoch to Johnstone, back to Murdoch- and Bobby had lashed the ball past Harvey and Celtic had taken a well deserved lead. That's how it ended. Leeds brought on Mick Bates for Peter Lorimer. It made no difference. Celtic were superb, in a class of their own. They might have scored more goals. Indeed, almost on the whistle Hughes missed a golden chance. Who cares? Leeds were well beaten. Scottish football had achieved its finest triumph ( surely that was Lisbon?), it's greatest moment. The Celts continued to play with magnificent prowess to reveal Leeds limitations in a way few clubs could match.
So it was a never to be forgotten night, a night of joy, tears and emotion. For it was a night Scottish soccer exploded back to the top.
The top Celts? Hail them all, though with perhaps a special word of praise to the terrific David Hay, Jim Brogan, Bertie Auld and Jimmy Johnstone. But it was teamwork that won- and Celtics teamwork was on a different plane to that of Leeds, whose Eddie Gray was subdued because Celtic never gave him a chance to showcase his skills. Bremner was their star, but towards the end he was at centre forward without much opportunity of showing what he could do. For it was Celtics night.
Celtic seldom put a foot wrong and were so much on top that Leeds must have been glad they don't play in the English first division.
What a night to be a Scot at Hampden, what a comeback from Celtic after the disaster of the Cup Final.
Now they are the team all Europe fear- and not without cause, if last night is the criterion"
CELTIC- Williams, Hay, Gemmel, Murdoch, McNeil, Brogan, Johnstone, Connelly, Hughes, Auld, Lennox.
LEEDS- Sprake, Madely, Cooper, Bremner,Charlton, Hunter, Lorimer, Clarke, Jones, Giles, Gray.
Hugh Taylor Thursday April 16th 1970.
Cheers Richy a wonderful read.

Think I got a roll'n'spam of a guy with a big cardboard box full of them. 🗣Get yir spam rolls here was his advertising shout 😂😂
I heard a Celtic supporter at Tannadice ask the wee guy selling rolls, Wrigleys and Maccaroon bars, " Ho, wee man was yer maw picking her fandango when she made they rolls" Everybody around us was doubled up. Me n my mate still say it (depending who's aboot) whenever corn beef rolls appear- 35 years later.

Think I got a roll'n'spam of a guy with a big cardboard box full of them. 🗣Get yir spam rolls here was his advertising shout 😂😂
I still love a piece in chopped ham in pork. ...but still in good shape so it did no harm
All be it i think I can still. go all the l way to 90 mins ....so what's the fecking problem with these bhoys. ..let's have it . 😂

Not sure how many of you this has happened to. But like you all my Dad took me to the games when I was a lad. ..it gave me great joy that I took him to the games in his latter years ...we are forever Celtic in our hearts and the joy we share is something they can never understand 💚

:LOL: pies n bovril , hampden would have looked like an oddbins warehouse ,everyone had a cargo in them days
Was walking up to hampden in the supposedly infamous 1980 Scottish cup final ...should have known there was trouble that day ...6 huns from the auld club dressed up as weans with dummy tits nappies in red white & blue crossed our paths at the Celtic end at hampden as we walked up. ..we laughed then watched as there carry oot was removed and poured over them ...they started greeting like the weans they portrayed....Danny and Chicken George made my day ...travelled back to Greenock that day in what was to become an air conditioned bus ...no windows you see ...scum attack ...it is their only constant. ...but ours is success. ..God bless the Celtic 💚

Not sure how many of you this has happened to. But like you all my Dad took me to the games when I was a lad. ..it gave me great joy that I took him to the games in his latter years ...we are forever Celtic in our hearts and the joy we share is something they can never understand 💚
Same for me mate, Dad took me most weeks and usually one of my pals ( so I would give him peace at the game).

In his last couple of years he became wheelchair bound,and I would take him to Celtic park to keep his love affair with Celtic going.

Hard to think of a crowd of 130,000, the queue, for the 1/2 time pies and bovril must have been horrendous, I think I’d have just stuck to the spearmint chewing gum and the macaroon bars 🤣🤣
Macaroon bars...... You not only nudge an old memory cell, you opened up a larder of treats I have never tasted in over 45+years, Coconut Snowballs, Caramel Wafers etc, etc. Bit sparse on the ground out here in Asia, not the normal fare found in ex-pat shops in Korea, China, Indonesia, Malaya, Thailand and Vietnam...............
Scotch pies...... Here in the North East of Thailand (Issan) you can get BBQ'd field rat easier.

Back