Players nicknames and their origins

Not a nickname for a Celtic player but this wee story makes me laugh everytime I think of it. Simon Ferry the ex Celt does a wee interview series on You Tube. In the episode with Paddy McCourt, they are talking aboot wee John Robertson who was manager of a league of Ireland team (Derry City maybe?).Paddy says when JR got on the bus he would head straight to toilet with a newspaper, he did this every time. Paddy says his nickname quickly became " shite the bus". What a crazy nickname....shite the bus.
Hail Hail fae People's Republic of Dundee

One of my favourite nicknames has to be The Black Flash a.k.a Gil Heron who was the first black player to play for Celtic in the 50s and was the father of the famous musician sadly now deceased Gil Scott Heron what a superb nickname HH[ Remember my Da telling me about Gil Heron says he was aye good player skillful and very fast ,and your spot on about his son recommend album or cd title (Bridges) Gil Scott-Heron&Brian Jackson ,Superb really is. h.h

Here are some from down south years ago John White (the white ghost) Tottenham Hotspur Scottish international 60’s,Ron(chopper)Harris Chelsea 60s,Norman(bite’s your legs)Hunter. Leeds United 60s/70s Colin Bell (Nijinski) 60’s Man City, that’s a few I remember there’s a lot more it’s a memory thing, fae this auld codger. h.h

I have it from an unimpeachable source that this goes back to a tour of Europe . The bus carrying the squad back from somewhere broke down and some of the players, John being one of them, decided they would walk down a hill and get the fixed bus at the bottom. Off they set walking through a wood down the hill. It was not until the party was on the repaired bus the guide told them the woods were full of wild bears. Yogi was born. I got this from a member of the party.

I have it from an unimpeachable source that this goes back to a tour of Europe . The bus carrying the squad back from somewhere broke down and some of the players, John being one of them, decided they would walk down a hill and get the fixed bus at the bottom. Off they set walking through a wood down the hill. It was not until the party was on the repaired bus the guide told them the woods were full of wild bears. Yogi was born. I got this from a member of the party.
Cheers micmac. So I've been called Yogi for 50 years because a bus broke down ha ha. Thank fuck it wasn't a boat. I might have been called Flipper

Th
i was under the impression that he was named after Yogi Bear cartoon character on the tv at the same time as he made his first team debut Huckleberry Hound and Snagelpuss round about 1960,61 so if you got it from the horses mouth to this day i got it wrong accept my apologies that’s burst my bubble. Cheers h.h my sons will never forgive me ,if they hear your story after all they years. Forever in GREEN

Th
i was under the impression that he was named after Yogi Bear cartoon character on the tv at the same time as he made his first team debut Huckleberry Hound and Snagelpuss round about 1960,61 so if you got it from the horses mouth to this day i got it wrong accept my apologies that’s burst my bubble. Cheers h.h my sons will never forgive me ,if they hear your story after all they years. Forever in GREEN
That's what I thought too. Think his wee mate Boo Boo was a hun

Members online

Latest posts

Back