Poll on Lennon to be the next full time Manager

Should Lennon get gig full time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I never once said we should not be able to play defensive football. But Can steve clarke force a win against a tam who gonna sit back and counter him?

Rodgers cant defend. I like clarke i rate him highly but can he play attacking football doesnt mean lets get someone who only does attcking football.
I know Tet, but from what I believe is Lawwells view, there is not going to be a manager with a good CV on the English Premier league and top European experience.
Much as I like Neil Lennon, he is not good enough, and Steve Clarke will tick the box where wages are concerned, as well as his coaching ability.
I think he would be able to set the team up defensively when required, what Brendan couldn't do, as well as play good attacking football.

Interesting points about Clarke TET, as he has never been in charge of a team that are expected to dominate, none of us can really answer this question.
He did spend a long time next to Jose, he may have learned things from him that might not be easy on the eyes of Celtic supporters, again, we may never know.

Othr problems I see with Clarke at celtic.

His family live in ayrshire, if he moved to Celtic he might worry about their quality of life. Ayrshire is hotbed of loyalist hardcore characters.

He has big connections at Chelsea which might sour his relations with thgem if he seen to be signing on at a Club like Celtic.

He might be great manager but can he cope with the Unique pressures of Glasgow. He was quite vocal in press until the horde started verbally abusing him then he dissappeared from scene and stopped openly pointing out ridiculous refereeing anomalies that seem to favour the traditional team with lots of honest mistakes.

The next 2 seasons are going to be a barage of contempt to prevent 10 in a row, assuming we can win title this season.

Its not a job for a man with any kind of psychological weakness in face of such contempt.

Bringing in a bloke who has never workded under that kind of pressure might override their CV and footballing pedigree.

Pitchforks will be red hot next season and I expect the kitchen sink and every underhanded gamesmanship to escalate, assuming Sevco are still breathing.

I know Tet, but from what I believe is Lawwells view, there is not going to be a manager with a good CV on the English Premier league and top European experience.
Much as I like Neil Lennon, he is not good enough, and Steve Clarke will tick the box where wages are concerned, as well as his coaching ability.
I think he would be able to set the team up defensively when required, what Brendan couldn't do, as well as play good attacking football.

I fancied Steve Clark until he nearly had abreakdown when sevco sang horrible songs.

I can't think of a league in Europe where a team with such a substantial financial lead over their rivals, as we do, loses their championship. We should be winning the SPFL as a minimum. So really our only dangers are complacency, sevco finding a tactical genius, us employing a tactical fool or of course corruption.
To me we were complacent this summer. Whatever was going on behind the scenes, someone should have had their eyes on the bigger picture and been aware of the upcoming recruitment difficulties we would be facing re centre backs. Even a nonentity like me was posting about this at the start of the season. Remember we were not even guaranteed big ben beyond Xmas.
Regarding budgets, I think your figures are good TET, I would imagine that the figure of 80-90m is where the board is aiming with the potential of the seasons end figuring a small to medium profit or at worst a smallish loss. Where our cash reserves should hold sway is, if come Xmas and the league is in doubt, we should be able to get in some decent loan players to see us over the line without breaking us financially. I know this is not what we want but it may well be how we have to operate. To run budgets of 100m with no guarantee of qualifying for the CL, itself increasingly difficult, would put us in financial peril and don't kid ourselves we won't get any help despite precedents having been set.
The solution(?) for me is that old chestnut YOUTH. We need to be consistently bringing through players that we can use or sell on. That's why I feel that a head of recruitment is a necessity along with a coach who buys in to his philosophy. Who are these people? I don't know but I do not have the time to scour the world for them, CFC pay people to do that so should have some ideas. I am not convinced lenny is the man. He is the man for now I hope but I do not see how he will be able to give the job full focus when the inevitable shit begins to fly from the zombies and I don't think we should ask him to take that again.
So there you go, a big waffle with no name to take over, that's why I have not voted ??
Eddie Howe?

The trouble is the next manager HAS to win everything or he's seen as a loser. BR has set a very high bar at 100% domestically. Whoever takes the job must win the next 2 league titles in my view, that and an improvement in our European performances will do. We have to face the reality that we're going to lose a cup game sooner or later. BR was lucky in respect that Sevco made such awful managerial appointments whilst he was will us. I mean Pedro was a ludicrous decision, then to appoint a raw rookie with no experience. Hell yes it made his job easier. But even the rookie was closing the gap and managed a win and outplayed his team that day. BR was cute an took the easy way out imho.
Stevie Clarke outplayed BR at every hands turn this season also. I believe he has the tactical nous to take us to a different level in Europe too. I think we should offer him the same wage and deal BR was on to, at least, tempt him. Do I think he'll come? No. Hope I'm wrong. HH.

Your doing the hindsight thing again.

Problems with solving the cb issue in summer was Rodgers was playing a game of Im off soon behind peoples backs and it came out, allegedly. If thats true the reason club didnt back him is he had no future at club.

Hendry and Compper were his signings if not why pretend they were?

I agree we needed btter defenders but they were meant to be the better players.

The reason the club had 87 million op costs was down to rodgers, and im askingwas that not enough ambition to earn 105 million with 4 qualifiers to get past.

But this selective memory thing and hindsight is not a great way to be ambitious.

To get better defenders in the club must have a max level wage. Was it breached? Was Rodgers record at buying value adde players worth the risk whe he potentially doing the off at anytime he can?

The board rae being accused of not backing Rodgers and im asking for evidense that the board have not been ambitious enough within context of the income they were hoping to acheive?

We needed better defenders but Rdogers blew his budget for wages giving pay rises to keep certain players which seems to have annoyed at least some of the players enougfh to down tools and then he even went out his way to block decent opportunity incomes and hold Boyata who was vying for change of scene and he was blocking dembele. until he became a problem.

The board backed him well IMO and IMO it was rodgers who sucked at getting value for the enormous wealth risk he was gievn, so many rodgers signing for ecent money are not getting game time.

Would you trust him to buy better defenders for eevmn more money when he seems to be quite poor at assessing potential. Seems quite goodat training players but his value added off field was so bad he was winning but despite champuions league money club mostly made money from selling players he inherited, but did make better.

Coaching very good
Wins things in Scotland if you throw enough money at him

But outside scotland he was gash

especially when youcponsider the wage budget he had.

And despite winning evry trophy he entered in scotland he was more than quadrupling the expnese of every other team and in some cases 20 times over budget of teams who were running him into tiippy tappy nowhere.

In fact that should be Rodgers official style in games

Tippy tappy nowhere.

Bore the oppostion into making mistakes
Actually bored ourselves into making
pixel.gif

various reasons? we werent willing to pay the freight. that was the reason. When that stretches over three or four windows there is no excuse for it.........

and making europe was no feat when you consider the same team had made the CL the two previous seasons. The CL qualifiers are what matter and making the groups is the essential goal. everyting after that in europe is gravy. So my point stands......

The repeated failure to replace the backs is down to us getting nosebleeds at the prices....... i bet the difference between what we wanted to pay for two or three backs and what was on offer wouldnt add up to the L10mm we lost by keeping Boyata a year too long. Penny wise pound foolish once again.

No excuses possible.
If you think or believe for a second that the only thing stopping Celtic getting our defender targets signed was that the club refused to pay well simply thats not true. Take castagne, he was interested but also interested in other opportunities but either way Atalanta had the final word and said no , not for sale right now at any point. Same story for the Norwegian at olympiakos the club unwilling to sell at that time. It's my understanding that Celtic offered decent money enough that it turned the heads of players and clubs but ultimately the club decide first then the player, if the players under contract. You can throw numbers left right and forward but there's always more to it than simply the cost of a player. The January window isn't a great time to recruit clubs are sniffing out the trophies and want to keep their squad together for the run in. To simply say that we should or could have sold boyata for 10mill and bought 2 decent ones, where's the guarantee once we've sold boyata we get the 2 in ? There's none. We were active in that window for defenders money alone guarantees nothing. You say the same team made the cl so should have been there again but remember that another round was added for us to negotiate. The bhoys that got us as far as they did, playing before the season started did a decent job of it to get us to the Europa 32 for the 2nd time running. Dont care what anyone says they did well.

Actually bored ourselves into making

If you think or believe for a second that the only thing stopping Celtic getting our defender targets signed was that the club refused to pay well simply thats not true. Take castagne, he was interested but also interested in other opportunities but either way Atalanta had the final word and said no , not for sale right now at any point. Same story for the Norwegian at olympiakos the club unwilling to sell at that time. It's my understanding that Celtic offered decent money enough that it turned the heads of players and clubs but ultimately the club decide first then the player, if the players under contract. You can throw numbers left right and forward but there's always more to it than simply the cost of a player. The January window isn't a great time to recruit clubs are sniffing out the trophies and want to keep their squad together for the run in. To simply say that we should or could have sold boyata for 10mill and bought 2 decent ones, where's the guarantee once we've sold boyata we get the 2 in ? There's none. We were active in that window for defenders money alone guarantees nothing. You say the same team made the cl so should have been there again but remember that another round was added for us to negotiate. The bhoys that got us as far as they did, playing before the season started did a decent job of it to get us to the Europa 32 for the 2nd time running. Dont care what anyone says they did well.

Once we were eliminated by AEK, the team indeed performed well As Constituted. But it should have been better constituted and that is on Lawwell more than the sleekit one.

the extra round added was the first round where the weakest opposition exists. Not the fourth round, where you are likely to find the toughest opposition........the extra round issue should be no problem for a team that is deep enough to win trebles in scotland..essentially the first month of qualifiers in july before the league commences means we play one game a week during that time. the first two rounds are against weaker sides because we are seeded and the load is not great. if we werent playing those games we would be playing friendlies anyway to get in shape after the layoff. the third and fourth are vs better sides and take place in august when the spl schedule means we play 2 per week with the qualifiers included..but we have to play those every year anyway and the opposition teams are the same degree of difficulty to navigate every year regardless......so adding two first round games in july is not significant in considering the difficulty of qualifying. in fact it might get us in better shape for august than friendlies would, actually helping rather than hurting...

as to defenders, you mentioned two, both of whom are right backs that we considered in january not central defenders we were or should have been looking at in june..but looking at the january window: in all of europe there were only two we could find? no. but they got mentioned. wonder why?

Neither of those two right backs were pursued in the summer but only in january 2019, AFTER we lost the CL qualifiers so there is no direct analogy to the need for cd we had in the summer, as i said above...and going after a guy who is getting first time reps in serie a for a decent team is not a high percentage move anyway. neither is going after Olympiakos CAPTAIN when they are in a fight with AEK for the runnerup position in the Greek league which qualifies them for the CL playoffs. Third and they miss out... . Neither of those were happening. Ever.....They were low percentage moves, and my guess is details were leaked by Lawwell precisely to show that he was "trying very hard" According to the Celtic Star, Celtic waited too late to show its hand and Atalanta in particular wasnt going to sell because they had no replacement. Last minute offers rarely succeed unless they are stupid bad. Last minute deals are rarely the best. You are guaranteed to overpay and we are often vulnerable to the other side....losing an irreplaceable player late.

in actuality there were several names said to be on offer and in the pot last summer and several were discarded because celtic didnt like the price, which wasnt north of 7mm to my recollection...those are the relevant examples not the two showpiece no hopers leaked to show "how hard we are trying". those are obvious put up jobs.

and what i said was we should have bought another defender BEFORE July. We knew in January we were weak there and getting weaker through the spring [we knew after 2016-17 to be accurate]. With proper full time scouting we should have had a list far longer than one or two players long and worked to get at least one of them in BEFORE july, which is when Boyata had his hissy fit. BTW there were several names on offer at the time but they were at that 7mm level and we wanted 3. Once one was in the door we could have told Boyata that we would hold an auction during july and august and sell him after the qualifiers once we were in Europe or once we had bought back number 2 . remember we had fulham on 9mm by july 1...and they wanted him by August 9 because thats when the EPL window closes . As soon as we had back 2 in the door we sell Boyata...worst case. I would guess that bids outside the epl might have surfaced if we set up the auction properly.

meanwhile we look for a second cb through the break. bottom line, because we were dealing from need we likely wouldnt have gotten rock bottom best price, but that is the cost of doing business. The impression i get is that we always hold out for rock bottom price and therefore miss out on a lot. As the mcginn negotiation was held in public, which was not what we wanted or normally do but was a function of hibs putting on a show, it gave a good window on our negotiation tactics, which were risible, quite frankly. the way we treated the mcginn transaction made scrooge look good by comparison.

Being a hard bargainer is a very good discipline to have but when you need a result you have to be flexible and realistic enough to adjust. Any time you lose a 2.7mm pound deal for 200,000 pounds [7pct] in this day and age you have to look in the mirror. We show no signs of having that flexibility and get caught short as a result. Last summer being cheap and unwilling to look ahead cost us big

I see that ex thistle lad playing for ?Barnsley is supposedly in the £5m bracket, there was even an article I read claiming that was the price sevco would have to pay for Kent. It's a mad world out there with no guarantees which makes a good guy in charge of recruitment with an intelligent coach by his side our way forward. IMO HH

I see that ex thistle lad playing for ?Barnsley is supposedly in the £5m bracket, there was even an article I read claiming that was the price sevco would have to pay for Kent. It's a mad world out there with no guarantees which makes a good guy in charge of recruitment with an intelligent coach by his side our way forward. IMO HH

I didn’t see the price being quoted for Kent , but no doubt they are using the Moreyellows calculator for that .. it’s coming back to bite them in more ways than one ..

Back