Poll: Should Celtic activate a one year extension on Leigh Griffiths’ contract at a cost of £1m? Vote Now…

Yeah John, griff has been a disgrace and still collecting as much in a week as a lot don't earn in a year. But I still blame Lennon. He was overseeing the whole shambles and let it get to where it has.
I won't defend lenny for the undefendable, but in his defence I still don't believe he got much support either and did not griff set the tone and seemed he also had plenty of a partners in crime also

The buck stops with the manager
Of course it does, and also the most blame will always be attached to his decision making. I still wonder if he could have turned the clocks back how many of those players who acted so unprofessional would he have kept. We are talking about griff now who has produced fuck all all season and yet would have been uproar if we got shot of him at the start of the season.
For to long now people within the club are allowed a free ride on past achievements and until that mentally changes we are not going to achieve where we should be aiming. Offering griff an extention would be a very dangerous precedent for the club imo, if he can't be bothered to make the effort then why should the club any longer. We have far too many passengers that need to be gotten off our gravey train and griff is just one of many imo

Of course it does, and also the most blame will always be attached to his decision making. I still wonder if he could have turned the clocks back how many of those players who acted so unprofessional would he have kept. We are talking about griff now who has produced fuck all all season and yet would have been uproar if we got shot of him at the start of the season.
For to long now people within the club are allowed a free ride on past achievements and until that mentally changes we are not going to achieve where we should be aiming. Offering griff an extention would be a very dangerous precedent for the club imo, if he can't be bothered to make the effort then why should the club any longer. We have far too many passengers that need to be gotten off our gravey train and griff is just one of many imo
I understand you opinion John and you could be right. But as a Gaelic coach myself, I always believe that if a player had ability and is not too old then it can be retrieved with the right coach. The chances are when a new manager comes in, he might just tell griff to fuck off or he might do what the rat done for broony and revive his career.
I know they're two different characters, but I think there's a player in griff with a stricter coach.

I understand you opinion John and you could be right. But as a Gaelic coach myself, I always believe that if a player had ability and is not too old then it can be retrieved with the right coach. The chances are when a new manager comes in, he might just tell griff to fuck off or he might do what the rat done for broony and revive his career.
I know they're two different characters, but I think there's a player in griff with a stricter coach.
Not going to question his ability Deadner as he has all shown us what he is capable of.
You would know better than most about attitude. Ability will only get you so far but when the attitude has gone so has the player.
You surely have seen players with the bad attitude with an abundance of ability, yet for the good of a team they have to go. You can't change any one's attitude if they are not prepared to want to change it, and I haven't seen nothing from griff to say he wants to, so it would be a goodbye from me

Not going to question his ability Deadner as he has all shown us what he is capable of.
You would know better than most about attitude. Ability will only get you so far but when the attitude has gone so has the player.
You surely have seen players with the bad attitude with an abundance of ability, yet for the good of a team they have to go. You can't change any one's attitude if they are not prepared to want to change it, and I haven't seen nothing from griff to say he wants to, so it would be a goodbye from me
If you have a player with a bad attitude you speak to him one on one and lay down the law. That's it. Why did Lennon continue to put him in the squad? I Would a dumped him down with the youngsters and docked a large percentage of his wages until he sorted himself out.
Why was he allowed to come back after the covid lockdown in such bad shape? Why was he not being monitored? Where was Lennon and Kennedy with their fuckin iPad?

If you have a player with a bad attitude you speak to him one on one and lay down the law. That's it. Why did Lennon continue to put him in the squad? I Would a dumped him down with the youngsters and docked a large percentage of his wages until he sorted himself out.
Why was he allowed to come back after the covid lockdown in such bad shape? Why was he not being monitored? Where was Lennon and Kennedy with their fuckin iPad?
I get and understand that Deadner, but you would expect a player to be able to take some responsibility as well. No idea what went on behind closed doors but what we did see was far to many questions than answers and can a manager trust a player when he has quite clearly showed him on enough occasions that he can no longer be trusted

The worst thing or one of the worst things about lenny for me was his blinkered attitude and his " thought we were outstanding " quotes having just been handed our arses or lucky to scrape a draw against ross county, st Mirren dundee utd and the likes. I could understand to a point that he was giving SMSM nothing regardless of how poor we'd been but us supporters who saw the truth and the opposite of outstanding just got more irate with this nonsense every time. The starting of European games without a recognised striker when we had sometimes 3 on the bench at CP was unforgivable and we got what we deserved for it. I dont think I've ever seen a Celtic side start a European game without a striker unless like the time under Rodgers there was no choice and once or twice we used sinky or Forrest as a makeshift striker against Rosenborg but that was forced upon us and there were no other options. There were times I thought is lenny doing this to make a point to the board about having his hands tied but he knew exactly what he was signing up for so no that didnt stand up either. There were times when our play deserved better results but that cant be used as an excuse for losing to county , st Mirren and I think we or he also underrated ferencvaros and sparta , boab said in another thread the tools were there but werent used , a good analogy. We were so predictable that God only knows how we came away with the cup against hearts. At 2 nil up and cruising the feeling was always there that a corner or free kick would cost us and did too often. Whip it into our box and watch the panic set in. Anyway I dont want to delve back into it all again and again but before the season started every Celtic supporter to a person knew that only Celtic would stop Celtic from achieving the 10 and we were all bang on the money. HH

Bring your kids to work day will certainly be a lot quieter if the Griff departs, but if the new guy ain't in the door before his option is due up its an awkward one.

For me let him go, talented yes but to pull on that jersey you need commitment and hunger and imho its lacking in Leigh (and a few others) and he should be part of the cull thats a coming.

For me he gets a pay as you play contract
He's took us for mugs this last season
Professional athlete returns over weight?
If he can't do the basics he needs to be gone
But if he can he's nice to have up our sleeve
It aint hard to keep the weight off Ritchie,surely Celtic are helping the players with their diet and stuff?does the wee guy just not give a fuck because thsts what its looking like,embarassing stuff for a professional footballer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't defend lenny for the undefendable, but in his defence I still don't believe he got much support either and did not griff set the tone and seemed he also had plenty of a partners in crime also
Griff was supposed to be at home John recovering from whatever was going on in his head after having the police out searching for him in Edinburgh..
The following week he was spotted at a race course in England with his betting slip in one hand and a pint in the other hand,does that sound like somebody who wanted to fight for his place..
A fit Leigh Griffiths it,s a no brainer,but can we depend on him,it might turn out mate we HAVE to depend on him if we dont get a new manager through that door soon..

HH

How much would we think selling Griffiths would bring I dont think more than £4 million tbh
Big money Winter for somebody who is carrying as much baggage as Griff,I think there would be so many clauses inserted in the transfer and not many of them in Celtics favour,anybody interested in him will have done their homework and know the risk they are taking with Griff,I think his only option would be Hibs for around £2m spread over a period.
Two big problems Winter, Who wants him and who has £4m to spend, definitely nobody in Scotland.
Possible loan but no transfer fee anywhere near £4m,I dont think Celtic have any other option but to hold on to him,his contract is up in 2022 so Celtic are still in control for another season.
His wages for me kills any loan deal in Scotland and who would want him down south,maybe first division but the wages again come into the equation.
IMO Griff is going nowhere unless Celtic help out with his wages..
We might also be overlooking something,maybe the next manager will want to keep him...
Stranger things have happened..

HH

The buck stops with the manager
I was never a Lenny fan Deadner and was delighted when I saw he was leaving and probably 99% of the time I would agree with you about where the buck stops but not in Neil Lennons case.
Lawwell used and abused that man and left him to take all the flak for what was going wrong,he never employed a Celtic manager he employed a whipping Bhoy..
Lawwell was in a win-win situation,he took all the plaudits when it all went right,he bolted his door when it all went wrong and left Lenny to face the fans.
Lawwell never once showed himself while all the banner Bhoys were about,he left Lenny to take the heat and in the end I think it could possibly have affected not only Lenny but Lenny,s family,sure it,s great when Mrs Lennon is identified in ASDA as the wife of the Celtic manager who just completed the quadruple treble,but not so good when she is identified as the wife of the Celtic manager who lost ten in a row,,Lawwell never had that problem mate,,the fecker was in hiding most of the time letting Lenny take all the abuse from people like me because we felt we had been seriously let down,we thought Lenny handed the title to sevco without putting up a fight,,did Neil Lennon fail us ???some of us will say yes he did,others will defend Lenny and say no he did,nt but one thing is certain...
Peter Lawwell failed Neil Lennon,but unfortunately for Lenny that is not how history will show what happened,Lenny will take the whipping,Lawwell will take the plaudits..and the £3.5m annual wage which goes with his title of the highest paid CEO in British Football.
I have no doubt this guy will have no problems sleeping at night..why would he when Lenny has taken the flak for him..

HH

I was never a Lenny fan Deadner and was delighted when I saw he was leaving and probably 99% of the time I would agree with you about where the buck stops but not in Neil Lennons case.
Lawwell used and abused that man and left him to take all the flak for what was going wrong,he never employed a Celtic manager he employed a whipping Bhoy..
Lawwell was in a win-win situation,he took all the plaudits when it all went right,he bolted his door when it all went wrong and left Lenny to face the fans.
Lawwell never once showed himself while all the banner Bhoys were about,he left Lenny to take the heat and in the end I think it could possibly have affected not only Lenny but Lenny,s family,sure it,s great when Mrs Lennon is identified in ASDA as the wife of the Celtic manager who just completed the quadruple treble,but not so good when she is identified as the wife of the Celtic manager who lost ten in a row,,Lawwell never had that problem mate,,the fecker was in hiding most of the time letting Lenny take all the abuse from people like me because we felt we had been seriously let down,we thought Lenny handed the title to sevco without putting up a fight,,did Neil Lennon fail us ???some of us will say yes he did,others will defend Lenny and say no he did,nt but one thing is certain...
Peter Lawwell failed Neil Lennon,but unfortunately for Lenny that is not how history will show what happened,Lenny will take the whipping,Lawwell will take the plaudits..and the £3.5m annual wage which goes with his title of the highest paid CEO in British Football.
I have no doubt this guy will have no problems sleeping at night..why would he when Lenny has taken the flak for him..

HH
Must agree GS with you.
Still doesn't answer why lenny still hung around for so long when he was failing so badly this season.
Did he approve these poor signings?
Can't defend him whatsoever on his match management, which on way to many times was appalling.
And yet I still wouldn't claim lenny is as bad as a manager as he has made himself look.
Hope one day we might find out the truth of what really went on behind the scenes but until then laurel and Hardy will remain the biggest culprits of this shitshow of a season to date

Members online

Latest posts

Back