Popular Racist Comments

Like yourself and plenty of others B I've experienced both anti-Irish racism and anti-Catholic bigotry, both subtly and overtly, from Police, employers, work colleagues and others.

Our names and where we went to school are immediate giveaways to any anti-Irish racist or anti-Catholic bigot who would want to discriminate against us either subtly or otherwise. I have no doubt it has been the reason why I have been singled out from my mates by certain polis and why I didn't get certain jobs I was more than qualified for and I've no doubt there have been others who have suffered far worse injustices than that but as fundamentally wrong, unjust and disgusting as that has been I would never compare my experiences of racism and sectarianism in Scotland to that of black men, women and children in the USA because the scale, the levels of injustice, the fear, the threat to life and the impunity in which the perpetrators of that racism operate with are just not even close to being comparable so to demand the same levels of attention just misses the whole point of what is actually taking place in America right now.

HH B (y)
In my youth when I was still learning about life, and being a daft wee teenager who thought he was a lot smarter than he actually was, I had a few run ins with the boys in blue, and giving one of these clowns my name, had the amazing effect of turning molehills into mountainsšŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤£, what are they like eh? šŸ¤£

In my youth when I was still learning about life, and being a daft wee teenager who thought he was a lot smarter than he actually was, I had a few run ins with the boys in blue, and giving one of these clowns my name, had the amazing effect of turning molehills into mountainsšŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤£, what are they like eh? šŸ¤£

:LOL:(y) Aye B the reaction from some of these coppers when you gave them your name was bad enough but the minute they asked the 'whit school do/did ye go to' question you knew you were fucked!

There was 2 coppers where I'm from who were notorious for being anti-Irish/Catholic one was a big fat bastard so yer best bet to avoid any hassle was to just run cos there was no chance that morbidly obese fucker was ever catching you, unfortunately the other one seemed to be a Glesga version of this guy šŸ‘‡

I'm sorry mate and I say this as someone of Irish descent raised as a Catholic in Glasgow but are you seriously comparing what's going on in the States to what's happening here in Scotland?

None of us on here are in any doubt that anti-Irish and anti-Catholic sentiment is an ingrained and shamefully ignored problem in Scotland or that it insidiously pervades through so many of our institutions but conflating our situation with what we're seeing in the US right now does a huge disservice to the struggle of black men, women and children in the USA.

Those poor people are being routinely murdered, beaten, wrongfully arrested and falsely imprisoned on a massive scale and on a daily basis by an institutionally racist law enforcement that are completely out of control and who seem to act with impunity, so while I agree with you that Scotland undoubtedly has it's problems with racism and sectarianism, especially anti-Irish racism and anti-Catholic bigotry, it is not even close to being on the same level.

If you had compared the struggle of Black Americans to the struggle of Irish Catholics on the Island of Ireland then you would've had a point but comparing it to Scotland.....nah sorry, they are not the same!
I wasn't making a comparison regarding the number of instances, but i'll tell you what, if you were to work out statistically the percentage between a nation of 4.5 million and one of 350 million in a time span of say 1860 to now, we'd be right up there. Fuckssake we have it stuck down our throats annually with full government and police compliance! They don't get that in America.

I wasn't making a comparison regarding the number of instances, but i'll tell you what, if you were to work out statistically the percentage between a nation of 4.5 million and one of 350 million in a time span of say 1860 to now, we'd be right up there. Fuckssake we have it stuck down our throats annually with full government and police compliance! They don't get that in America.

I know you weren't making comparisons with the number of instances Robby, what you were asking was can we expect the same levels of attention here in Scotland with regards to anti-Irish racism and anti-Catholic bigotry as there is on the the anti-Black racism in the US which kinda gave the impression that you thought the current situation in Scotland is somehow on a par with or comparable to what's going on in the US right now......the point I was making is that it is in no way on a par or remotely comparable and that the attention is rightly fully focused on what's going on in the US with the Black Lives Matter movement.

''Fuckssake we have it stuck down our throats annually with full government and police compliance! They don't get that in America.''

I'm assuming your talking about Orange marches hereā˜ Naw your right they don't get Orange marches stuck down their throats what they do get however is KKK, White Supremacist and Neo-Nazi rallies stuck down their throats with full government and police compliance instead and in the place of flutes and drums there is the open carrying of handguns and assault rifles. That police and government compliance doesn't stop there though as many of the Police are actively and openly involved in that racism and discrimination and routinely murder, beat, wrongfully arrest and falsely imprison many black men, women and children while their bosses and government not only turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to their rampant racism and criminal acts but actually defend it and refuse to prosecute these coppers even when there is incontrovertible proof of their crimes like the video evidence of George Floyd's murder.

Also I bet if you were to work out the statistics like you say there would still be no comparison and there would still be a far bigger and far worse problem in the US than what there is in Scotland and if we're going to delve into the history of both of these forms of racism then as abhorrent and disgusting as the discrimination and prejudice us Catholics of Irish descent have had to face in Scotland a quick look at America's history of slavery is a stark reminder that there are even lower depths humanity can plunge to.

I'm not saying that Scotland doesn't have big problems with anti-Irish racism and anti-Catholic bigotry Robby, of course it does and we need to speak up and challenge it wherever we find it. That includes the Police and Government who need to get their fucking act together and not only stop shying away from the issue but stop pretending they themselves are immune from it or that it doesn't exist in their ranks because it fucking does BUT the point still remains this particular moment in history belongs to the black men, women and children of the US and it would be wrong of us to demand the same levels of attention at this time.

HH mate (y)

Members online

Back