Postecoglou Deal Done: “Might “Might as well be White Smoke from the Vatican,” or “Green Smoke from Celtic Park”

Like parts of Greenock frank
The council in their infinite wisdom moved the scum from one place to another in order to do the town up
They then destroyed that area, families moved out of previously great communities, then the council would move the druggies on to the next place, to do up the place they had wrecked etc ad nauseum it went on and on
They single handedly put the death knell on successive communities over a decade or more
That seems to be the way Glasgow works as well. Homeless people are ahead of anyone in the social housing queue and are more likely to be homeless because of social, addiction or mental health issues. With the non-discriminatory rules people with problems are now being mixed alongside the elderly and previously good areas are being run down because there's no support for those with issues.
They've been doing it for years but eventually there will be no decent social housing to be had at all.

That seems to be the way Glasgow works as well. Homeless people are ahead of anyone in the social housing queue and are more likely to be homeless because of social, addiction or mental health issues. With the non-discriminatory rules people with problems are now being mixed alongside the elderly and previously good areas are being run down because there's no support for those with issues.
They've been doing it for years but eventually there will be no decent social housing to be had at all.
I'm now living in the gorbals #3 during my lifetime. The place is completely unrecognizable and I often dont know where a street is in my own backyard as I've never heard of it , turns out to be round the corner more often than not. The place is a much better place to live dont get me wrong. Gone though is the community that made the place what it was. Of course it's a new community and one that will take time to be a real community but I have my doubts if I'll ever see it as the community it once was. Especially when these days people are inclined to keep to themselves. I dont know half of my neighbour's either when I knew them all before. The gorbals desperately needed its regeneration and how they have done it so quickly with #3 is a testament to the prefab Lego block townhouses that they have built. They are plugged together in a few months and then owners move in. There was 18 tower blocks at least ( high flats) in #2 now theres 6 that's a good thing but many of the residents were obviously not financially stable and were offered either one of the new builds or a house in the drum or clydebank cumbernauld etc with a sweetener of a few grand to help them on their way out. Many obviously took that offer so the community was dissolved again. The powers that be have got their way and you will be lucky or unlucky to see any young groups of people or neds these days. We have a beautiful looking area now but no one really knows each other in the way they once did. Regeneration often equates to relocation for the majority in such areas. The gorbals was an attractive place to regenerate over others because of its walking distance into the city centre. I dont think we will see the same scale of regeneration in many other areas that desperately need it because of that. Places like Maryhill and a good few more drastically need it but theres got to be a better way to go about it without destroying any communities in the process.

I'm now living in the gorbals #3 during my lifetime. The place is completely unrecognizable and I often dont know where a street is in my own backyard as I've never heard of it , turns out to be round the corner more often than not. The place is a much better place to live dont get me wrong. Gone though is the community that made the place what it was. Of course it's a new community and one that will take time to be a real community but I have my doubts if I'll ever see it as the community it once was. Especially when these days people are inclined to keep to themselves. I dont know half of my neighbour's either when I knew them all before. The gorbals desperately needed its regeneration and how they have done it so quickly with #3 is a testament to the prefab Lego block townhouses that they have built. They are plugged together in a few months and then owners move in. There was 18 tower blocks at least ( high flats) in #2 now theres 6 that's a good thing but many of the residents were obviously not financially stable and were offered either one of the new builds or a house in the drum or clydebank cumbernauld etc with a sweetener of a few grand to help them on their way out. Many obviously took that offer so the community was dissolved again. The powers that be have got their way and you will be lucky or unlucky to see any young groups of people or neds these days. We have a beautiful looking area now but no one really knows each other in the way they once did. Regeneration often equates to relocation for the majority in such areas. The gorbals was an attractive place to regenerate over others because of its walking distance into the city centre. I dont think we will see the same scale of regeneration in many other areas that desperately need it because of that. Places like Maryhill and a good few more drastically need it but theres got to be a better way to go about it without destroying any communities in the process.
I've worked in the Gorbals Winter and the community spirit was alive and well in the 2 Caledonia Rd flats but now that they are coming down too that sense of community will evaporate even more. So many folk lived in the multis I often wonder what they did with everyone. Folk having the right to buy has severely depleted the decent housing stock too.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your post Winter. As it happens I know your area quite well, I also knew The Gorbals as it used to be quite well too . You are spot on with your comments regarding the loss of community
As someone who spent his early life being raised up a Wally close in a Govan tenement, I too see the erosion of community. But if it's any consolation it's not confined to New Gorbals or anywhere else for that matter. I could blether to you about this for hours on end Winter. The cause/factors are many, perhaps too many to discuss in a post or two. I'm at the stage where I lazily put it down to a kind of city life evolution. Again Winter, a brilliant post.

Last edited:
I've worked in the Gorbals Winter and the community spirit was alive and well in the 2 Caledonia Rd flats but now that they are coming down too that sense of community will evaporate even more. So many folk lived in the multis I often wonder what they did with everyone. Folk having the right to buy has severely depleted the decent housing stock too.
I lived in 1 of the 2 flats that stood beside caledonia rd flats for a few years in the 90s when my son was a toddler. Old rutherglen rd flats and the Cumberland st went down years ago now and I can remember the 4 blocks were once all joined by a pedestrian subway and overhead play area. To hear that caledonia rd are coming down as well was really a shocker as they had spent a fortune on doing those 2 blocks up. They installed across the road a gas water heating system that pumped hot water into the flats quite ingenious. I heard that the cladding however is that of the same type as Grenfell and that must be scary if you're living up there with a family 19 up like I was in the 90s. I loved it there but it want practical to stay for long for various reasons. The building right now is centred on the site facing the citizens theatre and the oatlands area. I walked down to Richmond park last year and it was gone I almost dropped to the ground I couldnt believe my eyes, a once beautiful park and pond flattened in an instant for the expansion of the gorbals/oatlands area. Actually enraged about it still.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your post Winter. As it happens I know your area quite well, I also knew The Gorbals as it used to be quite well too . You are spot on with your comments regarding the loss of community
As someone who spent his early life being raised up a Wally close in a Govan tenement, I too see the erosion of community. But if it's any consolation it's not confined to New Gorbals or anywhere else for that matter. I could blether to you about this for hours on end Winter. The cause/factors are many, perhaps too many to discuss in a post or two. I'm at the stage where I lazily put it down to a kind of city life evolution. Again Winter, a brilliant post.
Cheers Frank ✌ talking of govan that's a place that's earmarked for regeneration and it really needs it. I walked through the clyde tunnel last year ( not to be done at night alone) with my better half and the old tenements are in a sorry state. I've read a few times about the idea of a bridge from somewhere in between the exhibition centre and partick to govan. If that happens it will open up govan for the same type of investment that has been seen a stones throw across the water at Glasgow harbour. Again though it would be relocation to the majority as they wont be able to afford such flats.

Frank
Wally close in Govan, I was also brought up in Wally close (by the way red stone building ) think you will know we’re i am talking about Eaglesham Street , Plantation or better known K P Govan Road end ,my two grannies one lived in Kintra Street (my Da) Neptune Street (my Maw) two streets next to one another
way back it was commonly known as the (Irish Channel) then the Wine Ally
All the Tim’s in the one place my Da worked in Dick Welsh’s bar on Govan road for about 25 years used to take me to the games on Govan All Saints supporters bus 🚌 left from Napier Street across Govan road from the Queens Bar loved it really happy 😃 memories programme ,3 pence a macaroon bar ,get your wrigleys spearmint gum the Street sellers before you went inside paradise the jungle up on the wall at the back my Da and his 3brothers , all these auld men singing songs going and coming hame fae Celtic Park bear in mind I am saying auld men I am only seven or eight years of age most of them were probablythey we’re about forty or fifty years old we were a poor team in they days Peacock,Evans, McKay,Byrne,to name a few from that era
and the young up and coming Big Billy mc Neil loved every minute excitement every Saturday
Oh the memories the memories

Frank
Wally close in Govan, I was also brought up in Wally close (by the way red stone building ) think you will know we’re i am talking about Eaglesham Street , Plantation or better known K P Govan Road end ,my two grannies one lived in Kintra Street (my Da) Neptune Street (my Maw) two streets next to one another
All the Tim’s in the one place my Da worked in Dick Welsh’s bar on Govan road for about 25 years used to take me to the games on Govan All Saints supporters bus 🚌 left from Napier Street across Govan road from the Queens Bar loved it really happy 😃 memories programme ,3 pence a macaroon bar ,get your wrigleys spearmint gum the Street sellers before you went inside paradise the jungle up on the wall at the back my Da and his 3brothers , all these auld men singing songs going and coming hame fae Celtic Park bear in mind I am saying auld men I am only seven or eight years of age most of them were probablythey we’re about forty or fifty years old we were a poor team in they days Peacock,Evans, McKay,Byrne,to name a few from that era
and the young up and coming Big Billy mc Neil loved every minute excitement every Saturday
Bloody hell Chubbster, I could've typed your post myself. My grandfather lived on the Irish Channel. He also died there . Eaglesham St, as I'm sure you know, is very different from those days. Kinda confirms what some of the other Noisers have been.saying about the changes in society. I think given the fact that you remember guys like Bertie Peacoc, Alex Byrne, Dunky Mc Kay etc you're of a similar vintage to myself ? BTW, one of my favourite players from that era was a big left half ( remember them ? ) called Billy Price. He played after Paddy Crerand left. As for the Wine Ally, I still have good friends from there to this day. I think it's entirely possible that we at the very least , know many of the same folk Chubbster. Great post mate, brought back many memories HH.

Bloody hell Chubbster, I could've typed your post myself. My grandfather lived on the Irish Channel. He also died there . Eaglesham St, as I'm sure you know, is very different from those days. Kinda confirms what some of the other Noisers have been.saying about the changes in society. I think given the fact that you remember guys like Bertie Peacoc, Alex Byrne, Dunky Mc Kay etc you're of a similar vintage to myself ? BTW, one of my favourite players from that era was a big left half ( remember them ? ) called Billy Price. He played after Paddy Crerand left. As for the Wine Ally, I still have good friends from there to this day. I think it's entirely possible that we at the very least , know many of the same folk Chubbster. Great post mate, brought back many memories HH.
Aye Frank think we will be soon known as the( Auld Gits club )branch of the noise
My hero than was Paddy broke my heart when went he took the road to Man U
61 or 62 thousands big money it was, aye i remember big Billy Price a good left half as i remember we got him from Falkirk ,looking back a lot of no so good players to name a few Hugh Maxwell ,wee Bobby Carroll, Paddy Turner and many more , that was the time when we had a glut of good no nonsense centre half’s all John’s Cushley,Mc Namee,Kurila,Colrain Oh for 1or2 of these into today’s game wishful thinking,by the Frank a bit of useless information, Sir Alec Ferguson family lived above the pub my Da worked on the Govan road between Neptune Street and Orkney Street he told me Alec’s old man ran a Celtic supporters bus fae Govan ,at the time think there were 6 or 7 supporters buses left fae sunny Govan every Saturday as Michael Caine would say no a lot of people know that

Aye Frank think we will be soon known as the( Auld Gits club )branch of the noise
My hero than was Paddy broke my heart when went he took the road to Man U
61 or 62 thousands big money it was, aye i remember big Billy Price a good left half as i remember we got him from Falkirk ,looking back a lot of no so good players to name a few Hugh Maxwell ,wee Bobby Carroll, Paddy Turner and many more , that was the time when we had a glut of good no nonsense centre half’s all John’s Cushley,Mc Namee,Kurila,Colrain Oh for 1or2 of these into today’s game wishful thinking,by the Frank a bit of useless information, Sir Alec Ferguson family lived above the pub my Da worked on the Govan road between Neptune Street and Orkney Street he told me Alec’s old man ran a Celtic supporters bus fae Govan ,at the time think there were 6 or 7 supporters buses left fae sunny Govan every Saturday as Michael Caine would say no a lot of people know that
Aye that was true about Sir Alec's auld man. Also remember the not so good buys you mention. Still, with the arrival of Big Jock, and Billy's header against The Pars life got considerably better. We're privileged to be able to say we experienced all those wonderful highs throughout our time supporting The Hoops. Just hope I'm around a wee bit longer and see a few more of them.HH

Frank
You, me, Frank Owen and Shottsghirl all original Govanites. Any more out there?

The community part and loss of it?
Old buildings need torn down.
Nobody attends local clubs because we are on fourms...
You need kids in affordable areas for people to link.
Areas like the gorbals teardown are where young people flat share skint so they can sub it into work and cant afford a car.
There's still community but the old yins don't see it. The pissups are still there the links with mates still exist. Its only a shorter term living there.
Move further out and get some weans is the path now.

I shared a flat with the ex in shawlands for 625, finished the lease and a worse place was 780. Level was 850pm.

Broke up and at the time 525 was getting a 2bed flat in Govanhill.

Moved out a bit further and got a cottage flat with a garden, garage and a big attic.
Prices are up again.

Communities are broken up or dint exist because of the housing market.

My mate is up in a good area, the neighbour, well on has a 400k house and irks the £200 monthly mortgage payment.

Members online

Latest posts

Back