Pubs from your formative youth...

First i ever went in was called the last shift it's in the middle of nowhere ,near carnwath all farm folk n fkwits good food though guy a worked wi at the time used at his office /home/digs ,some dsays the shift started and finished in there

Also went to the barn dances down Biggar way ,like a stray i never ever made it home good craic though

My pubs in the toon were either Burns howff on w.regent st(?) or the rock garden on queen st (?) My memory is not what it was. Can anyone remember Charlie Parkers - I never usually got past the bouncers until one day a pal won a wee fortune and we drank champagne aw ower the toon. Ended up in CP's somehow, I remember being sprawled oot on a chaisse lounge wi ma shoes aff and the big tae sticking oot the hole in my socks. The glamorous people wurni very impressed. We got thrown out when the manager asked my pal if he wanted to keep an empty champers bottle for a souvenir and my pal just looked at him with contempt and said " dae I look like a fuckin dustbin ya prick"
In all honesty we didni even look as good as dustbins but the money talked for a while.
Loved the Burns Howf for the gigs, The Cathdamara, The Rooster, for the Saturday nights, Dart Inn and The VOGUE Rutherglen

First ever pint was in the Lauders bar because we had heard it was an easy one to get served in.....Then moved on to the Loudon and then the Grapes....
Spent a lot of time in Maryhill boozers like the Ramshead, Punchbowl, Viking to name a few.. Also a lot of friends in the Eastend and used to drink quite often in the Provy and the tavern ....Shame to see that a lot of the old Glasgow institutions like the Provy,BF Tavern and Lauders closing/burnt down although i heard Lauders is back open now?

Last edited:
I used to drink in a bar called Colhouns(not sure about spelling lol). I was 17 and although the landlady was aware she asked me to work some shifts behind the bar. I took it. 1st shift I'm sweeping up when everyone gone when 3 guys wearing suits walked in and demanded i serve them large whiskeys. I told them to sling their hook. Landlady heard the rumpus and came through and defended my position.
After they left she informed me they were CID from Tobago street police station round the corner and always came in late doors for a drink😹😹😹

Another pub we used to frequent can't remember what it was called in my youth. Railway bar/Inn nowadays in falkirk near Grahamston railway station, falkirk. my mates and I were all same age. We celebrated our 18th birthdays in this pub. landlady of polish descent always asked what we were celebrating week after week. Always 18th birthday, funny looking back.

Craigoull Bar, Dundee 1983, 13th birthday and my Da' bought me 20 Regal and took iz for a pint.

After he had a few, he was inspired to introduce me to sweaty Betty McKay so that I could "break my duck". He bought me another pint when I advised him that that particular obstacle had previously been negotiated. I think it's the first time he was genuinely proud of me (and probably the last).

Any bar in Armagh.
craigdarroch-arms-hotel.jpg

Craigoull Bar, Dundee 1983, 13th birthday and my Da' bought me 20 Regal and took iz for a pint.

After he had a few, he was inspired to introduce me to sweaty Betty McKay so that I could "break my duck". He bought me another pint when I advised him that that particular obstacle had previously been negotiated. I think it's the first time he was genuinely proud of me (and probably the last).
Leave my sweaty mother oot o this ya bastard ya!!!!
I remember going to a "Valentines Disco" at the Craigowl Lounge (Silver Cage?) about 83-84, when I was going oot with a girl fae the Dales. Anyway, when the Lulu song shout was on a disco ball light fell aff the roof and landed on a lassies head. She was knocked oot and bleeding on the dance floor. Never ever been back.
Did ye ever frequent The Fairways in Ardler SP? That was a fuckin bonkers pub. I saw someone steal the dartboard and the wooden box with chalk board doors that was fixed to the wall.
The Copper Beach in Kirkton was fuckin bonkers. For a two year period it was the capital of drugs in Dundee, less than twenty feet from a police sub-station. Everybody got ripped of there eventually too. This is true- I was drinking with friends in the Copper when two guys came in looking for speed ( turned oot they were fae Perth) they got swerved fae everybody. One guy though asked do you have a car, he was aff with the Perth guys in the car. Twenty minutes later he was back with £150. He went to his sisters and asked if she had any white stuff he could put in a bag. She ended up giving him custard powder. He told them it was yellow speed.
Another time I went in to buy hash.... I went over to the table and as I was leaning over the table there was a big flash and bang beside my head, the prick fired a starting pistol as I was leaning over, the muzzle flash burnt my neck. I was fuckin raging but got my hash and fucked off, na choice cos I would've got kicked ta fuck fae them. Within a year though the fuck was dead, the broon stuff got him. Oh the joys of growing up in the schemes.

Leave my sweaty mother oot o this ya bastard ya!!!!
I remember going to a "Valentines Disco" at the Craigowl Lounge (Silver Cage?) about 83-84, when I was going oot with a girl fae the Dales. Anyway, when the Lulu song shout was on a disco ball light fell aff the roof and landed on a lassies head. She was knocked oot and bleeding on the dance floor. Never ever been back.
Did ye ever frequent The Fairways in Ardler SP? That was a fuckin bonkers pub. I saw someone steal the dartboard and the wooden box with chalk board doors that was fixed to the wall.
The Copper Beach in Kirkton was fuckin bonkers. For a two year period it was the capital of drugs in Dundee, less than twenty feet from a police sub-station. Everybody got ripped of there eventually too. This is true- I was drinking with friends in the Copper when two guys came in looking for speed ( turned oot they were fae Perth) they got swerved fae everybody. One guy though asked do you have a car, he was aff with the Perth guys in the car. Twenty minutes later he was back with £150. He went to his sisters and asked if she had any white stuff he could put in a bag. She ended up giving him custard powder. He told them it was yellow speed.
Another time I went in to buy hash.... I went over to the table and as I was leaning over the table there was a big flash and bang beside my head, the prick fired a starting pistol as I was leaning over, the muzzle flash burnt my neck. I was fuckin raging but got my hash and fucked off, na choice cos I would've got kicked ta fuck fae them. Within a year though the fuck was dead, the broon stuff got him. Oh the joys of growing up in the schemes.
Hahahahahaha we were just talking aboot the unholy trinity of the Fairways, The Pheasant and The Addy the other night.

Get your hash on draft and put you Christmas shopping list in for the 5-fingered discount.

Dinnae even mention The Trotticks, mate!!!

Almost forgot. If I got a Saturday shift in the bar they got the token Tim to hand out the red hand of Ulster plaque for the Ranjerks bus. They thought it was pretty funny till I brought in a bright green pair of oven gloves to handle the fucking thing with. NEVER happened again. Nae sense of humour wi these dumplins. I blame the skools u know.

Back