Pubs from your formative youth...

Friday nights were something else in the slaverhoose, I used to have to go aboot wie a drool bucket at the disco!

Hey Rich, did you ever walk on the wild side in the beez-neez? I went once wie my ex-wife and her very elegant male colleague.........still traumatised to this day!
Did that become the underground? Or was it where the Coconut Grove was? I was defo there and can picture the sign but canna mind where it was.

Last edited:
Any bar in Armagh.
craigdarroch-arms-hotel.jpg
is that theclumpanys local

There were some right shiteholes, (to quote Jack & Victor) in Greenock
One was known by the locals, as the Monkey Shop, they sold cheap wins, Lannny, 4 Crown and the rest, of the 'electric soup' type of liquors in a 5th of a gill
My mate and I walked in to check it out and noticed the dartboard, was all burst out like a fungus...about turn...never to be visited again
There was another down by the docks, where if you didn't have scars on your face, you were treated with suspicion, by the regulars

Holy Mother o Jesus- Arthur's........... God forgive them for they created Hell on Earth...
Got corralled in there on night by some woman-shaped thing with ladders in her tights that you could clean windaes wie.

"Ye wantin yer hole", she said and I kindly accepted her offer by saying: "eh, eh'll hae that big ane beh yir ankle"

Got a well earned slap for that.

There were some right shiteholes, (to quote Jack & Victor) in Greenock
One was known by the locals, as the Monkey Shop, they sold cheap wins, Lannny, 4 Crown and the rest, of the 'electric soup' type of liquors in a 5th of a gill
My mate and I walked in to check it out and noticed the dartboard, was all burst out like a fungus...about turn...never to be visited again
There was another down by the docks, where if you didn't have scars on your face, you were treated with suspicion, by the regulars
Ha ha Electric Soup, not heard that for years. That's exactly what fortified wine is, Electric Soup.

What pubs dd you frequent in your youth ?
What was your favourite tipple back in the day ?
Bet there's some good stories from the eras gone by
This was my local as a teenager
We lived in the high flats, right behind it
Before I was of legal age, I couldn't sneak a pint, as most of the bar staff worked there and everyone, knew everybody else
I started off drinking Black & Tan Sweet, also Guinnes and moved on from there, to lager
Who's up next ?
Hey dilligaf. We were practically neighbours - although depending on your age it could have been decades apart 🤔. I was from the belvo and went to school in notre Dame just round the corner from the broomy. For those of you not from greenock, notre Dame was not as fancy as it sounds 😁

Hey dilligaf. We were practically neighbours - although depending on your age it could have been decades apart 🤔. I was from the belvo and went to school in notre Dame just round the corner from the broomy. For those of you not from greenock, notre Dame was not as fancy as it sounds 😁
Lived a ten minute walk from my old high school, no longer there
I suspect i am 'a bit' older than you Andy
St. Columba's Peat road
Just by the 'CUT' where they used to make us run in shorts and a t shirt, in the fucking Winter
Sadists, hated it and them
I was quite clever and loved PE but hated the place
Left in 1970 and emigrated
Been back lots, but the place has changed so much
First pic is the top of Peat road, leading up to the Cut
Second is where our boys playground was located, it's all new houses now
And the Merino mill was across from the school gates
You probably went to the 'new school' Notre Dame in Gourock mibbe ?
The old Greenock high school, was taken over for a time, I believe, but you'd likely know more about that than me
Belville street, high flats and maisonettes
Used to go up to the Strone, my mate lived in Flintmill Lane, what a place, full of neds and mental cases
HH

Attachments

• Peat Road, and the Cut.jpg
    Peat Road, and the Cut.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 3
  • St Columab's site.jpg
    St Columab's site.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 3
Remember the openin night in "The Brother's" pub in Possil,2 guys come in wi wan ae they barra things,unplugged the juke box and wheeled it oot the door,shoutin "excuse me" in Possilese, which roughly translates as "get oot the phuqin road, or ah'll chib ye!",they came back aboot 20 minutes later and stole the telly!!!!

Lived a ten minute walk from my old high school, no longer there
I suspect i am 'a bit' older than you Andy
St. Columba's Peat road
Just by the 'CUT' where they used to make us run in shorts and a t shirt, in the fucking Winter
Sadists, hated it and them
I was quite clever and loved PE but hated the place
Left in 1970 and emigrated
Been back lots, but the place has changed so much
First pic is the top of Peat road, leading up to the Cut
Second is where our boys playground was located, it's all new houses now
And the Merino mill was across from the school gates
You probably went to the 'new school' Notre Dame in Gourock mibbe ?
The old Greenock high school, was taken over for a time, I believe, but you'd likely know more about that than me
Belville street, high flats and maisonettes
Used to go up to the Strone, my mate lived in Flintmill Lane, what a place, full of neds and mental cases
HH
Just missed you then 🙂 you left in 1970 and I was born in 71. 48 tomorrow in fact 🎂. The notre Dame I went to was in peat road - knocked down though and its now the houses from the second picture. I left as well but still go back a few times every year.

Sarry heid for me, convivial atmosphere and clientele of the highest order,wine of the best.🍷.....🤣🤣
My best friends brother in law used to work behind the bar there. One night he asked me and my pal to babysit for a couple of hours. In return we could pop in for a free drink. After working our way through the whole selection(and a few tested a few times) i found my self hanging on to the bar and my pal was praying to God in the toilet cubicle. Couldn't walk and brave taxi driver called😹

My best friends brother in law used to work behind the bar there. One night he asked me and my pal to babysit for a couple of hours. In return we could pop in for a free drink. After working our way through the whole selection(and a few tested a few times) i found my self hanging on to the bar and my pal was praying to God in the toilet cubicle. Couldn't walk and brave taxi driver called😹
Champagne cider an' Tornado Stevie!!!!! 🤪

Remember in my teens, at Christmas and the New Year, going up to The Normandy, in Renfrew for a few good nights
Tried rum & blackcurrant (as you do, when you don't know anything) along with copious amounts of lager, next morning bleary eyed and smelling of Robertson's Golly Jam, never again, was the phrase, used most often
Only to do it all again the following week

Members online

Latest posts

Back