Ramifications of Seismic Failure ?

Frank Owen

Apologies in advance if I go on a bit with this post folks, I'm trying to detach myself from the blinkered Celtic supporter that I can be at times. I'm trying to engage my head as opposed to my heart.

I've just been reading the thread started by JamesPearson8, The Aftermath and the Conclusion. It's probably a pretty accurate assessment of how most of us feel at the present time. Lubo Left peg also makes terrific points as well. So hat's off to both of you.

It's just that I'm trying to look forward; this season is gone. It can't be undone. I know we'll spend much of our time over the summer looking back and pointing fingers. Given the scope of our collapse it's natural and correct that we look for reasons. I do it myself. However, ( speaking only for myself here ) I'm also beginning to feel we can't dwell on it for too long. The job ahead must be addressed as quickly as possible.

Continued mediocrity will have consequences which could easily last for years. This will impact on many aspects of our club. Attracting players of the right calibre, or attracting sponsorship for instance. We as supporters don't really pay too much attention to such things, ( players apart of course ) but for a club that considers itself a global brand, it is a massive part of keeping up with the elite.

Can we turn it round quickly ? My heart says yes, but my head says no. If the next manager can achieve this, (whoever he is ), even over two seasons, it will be one of the most noteworthy achievements in our history. A bit over the top ? That's what I though too. Until I decided to be honest with myself.

One of the first things the club has to change, yes, even before the manager, the new CEO, a DoF etc, is their lack of connection with the supporters. As I said, we consider ourselves to be a huge club globally. There are literally millions of folk worldwide who have this club in their hearts. But if in the eyes of the powers that be, those folk are considered to be mere "customers", then we are on a downward spiral.

This may sound a bit OTT, but I believe we're at a crossroads. The road to further success simply can't be found without the supporters on board. I'll shut my gub now. HH.

Apologies in advance if I go on a bit with this post folks, I'm trying to detach myself from the blinkered Celtic supporter that I can be at times. I'm trying to engage my head as opposed to my heart.

I've just been reading the thread started by JamesPearson8, The Aftermath and the Conclusion. It's probably a pretty accurate assessment of how most of us feel at the present time. Lubo Left peg also makes terrific points as well. So hat's off to both of you.

It's just that I'm trying to look forward; this season is gone. It can't be undone. I know we'll spend much of our time over the summer looking back and pointing fingers. Given the scope of our collapse it's natural and correct that we look for reasons. I do it myself. However, ( speaking only for myself here ) I'm also beginning to feel we can't dwell on it for too long. The job ahead must be addressed as quickly as possible.

Continued mediocrity will have consequences which could easily last for years. This will impact on many aspects of our club. Attracting players of the right calibre, or attracting sponsorship for instance. We as supporters don't really pay too much attention to such things, ( players apart of course ) but for a club that considers itself a global brand, it is a massive part of keeping up with the elite.

Can we turn it round quickly ? My heart says yes, but my head says no. If the next manager can achieve this, (whoever he is ), even over two seasons, it will be one of the most noteworthy achievements in our history. A bit over the top ? That's what I though too. Until I decided to be honest with myself.

One of the first things the club has to change, yes, even before the manager, the new CEO, a DoF etc, is their lack of connection with the supporters. As I said, we consider ourselves to be a huge club globally. There are literally millions of folk worldwide who have this club in their hearts. But if in the eyes of the powers that be, those folk are considered to be mere "customers", then we are on a downward spiral.

This may sound a bit OTT, but I believe we're at a crossroads. The road to further success simply can't be found without the supporters on board. I'll shut my gub now. HH.

Totally agree. Just look at United. The biggest club in the world, commercially I mean. Everyone has heard of them. They are a global power. Their board have spent an obscene amount of cash on their players, second only to city in Europe and yet the fans are protesting and storming the ground. They feel disconnected from their club due to how their board are treating them. I believe we are in the same boat. Spending millions won't get the fans on board although it will be welcomed to some extent. But they have a lot of work to do to get the fans back onside.....getting kennedy to feck would be a start.

A good post frank, have been thinking similar. I think that we could be looking at the season after the next before we get back. However should the board really decide to make a statement now and appoint Howe or an even bigger box office name as manager and get the DOF in place ( JK as DOF I'm not for that idea, he is like the janitor that if theres no-one else to do the job get the janny ( JK) that might be unfair as his credentials have never been tested ,I mean what's his ambition? If it's to be Celtic manager then becoming DOF and not leaving to be no1 at a decent club is the wrong way to do it. We are looking at having something like 6 first team players on the books come the window. That's including rookies in Walsh who I rate as an exciting prospect. I cant believe that we will sit still and drop into mediocrity. The changes weve seen have been coming , lawells cheerio infuriates me because the club I believe are dressing it up as bowing to fan pressure when I think that this was his last season all along. Lennon, I'm sorry I cannot feel much other than sympathy for him as he was Celtic manager in name only imo with an eye patch and hands tied behind his back. When did he ever get our full unwavering support this season? Never , because his selections were mind blowing but that takes us onto the players. Lennon isnt a stupid man or a poor manager. For him not to play Griffiths for example or Ajeti when say , searching for an equaliser but rather bring on Rogic instead spoke of an almost players revolt. If that's the case then honestly they all have to go. I want to see us get the best deal possible for Ajer, Christie, Barkas, Edouard, and our other saleable assets and theres a lot of money there if handled properly and not too greedy since all 3 are entering the final year of their contract. Loan players: far too many, a club like ours simply has to give youth a chance if the 2 or 3 players in that position are out for whatever reason. Elyounnoussi I'd buy in a heartbeat he IS a player I dont care what others say, a striking partner? No. Still a great winger/CAM though and imo Celtic quality. Sorry I digress , if the board really show ambition on the managerial team and DOF side I think we can take our title back next season. I hope the silence from the board means ( like when Rodgers was appointed) that we are truly seeking out a top manager who will blow slippy , beale and McAllister away. That side is nothing to any of our 9iar sides. I also believe that the effort put in to 9 and quadreble but not being able to celebrate it together played more than a big part in the disappointment before the disappointment so to speak. We also cannot forget the ridiculous 'punishments' recieved and the one rule for us another for everyone else. My heart always like yours says yes. My head says it may take a season but if the board appoint a top manager then my head says hell yes. Were recuperating money now from those like klimala and some others . Could this be for the next managers spending power? Who knows. We do know that Celtic will act professionally before naming a manager and his team/DOF. I take the silence, the board changes etc as something big is about to happen . Call it heart or head but I think it's a combination. We will be back but we cant let them become as strong financially also they will now see who difficult it is to keep your best players, Kent, roofe, slippy didnt come here to play out their careers they will soon see some problems of their own . Sorry I went off piste a few times rant over HH ☘

Totally agree. Just look at United. The biggest club in the world, commercially I mean. Everyone has heard of them. They are a global power. Their board have spent an obscene amount of cash on their players, second only to city in Europe and yet the fans are protesting and storming the ground. They feel disconnected from their club due to how their board are treating them. I believe we are in the same boat. Spending millions won't get the fans on board although it will be welcomed to some extent. But they have a lot of work to do to get the fans back onside.....getting kennedy to feck would be a start.
Man utd have dropped to 4th richest in 21
Arsenal – $2.8 billion. ...
Chelsea – $3.2 billion. ...
Manchester City – $4 billion. ...
Liverpool – $4.1 billion. ...
Manchester United – $4.2 billion. ...
Bayern Munich – $4.215 billion. ...
Real Madrid CF – $4.75 billion. ...
FC Barcelona – $4.76 billion.
Still I get you're points HH

What if the new manager has been active behind the scenes for some time.....what if new players, back room staff and DOF have already been identified and chosen.....what if a thorough and ruthless audit of our operations has been carried out and a new plan is ready to go as soon as the season is over....have faith.....the revolution is coming...

What if the new manager has been active behind the scenes for some time.....what if new players, back room staff and DOF have already been identified and chosen.....what if a thorough and ruthless audit of our operations has been carried out and a new plan is ready to go as soon as the season is over....have faith.....the revolution is coming...
Love your optimism. Can you find me a seat ?

If carlberg made rebuilds.........

Were kidding ourselves

We've went from supporters to Customers ,and treated like customers

Season ticket holders will buy there tickets just the same as last year ask no questions of the board and be shouted down for any outside protests ,as not being Celtic supporters

just take there seats like the faithfull through and through Customers they have become

All these things that you believe the club have structured for a major rebuild and what the club will do to actually engage with their Customers ,,,,,,aye i'd believe in santa claus first ,,,,won't happen

Celtic have never built on success ,,,ever ,,,and will not have a major rebuild on the showing of this season .
Rodgers was a one off to sooth Desmonds ego ,Rodgers control was soon dismantled by Lawwell (acording to reports ) and the decline well managed ,,,,by our club

And all in clear view of our Customers , we were sold out by the club we support

United supporters took a stand yesterday ,it was interesting that on united blogs and on some twitter they were getting shouted down by the United customers

sort of the same way Celtic customers shouted down the Green Brigade

Love your optimism. Can you find me a seat ?
I will keep you one beside me Frank.
Imatim is 100% correct mate,it would be financial suicide on Desmonds part if he had not tied Eddie Howe to a contract before now to allow Howe to run his eye over who he would like to bring to Paradise.
Forget Tottenham,either Rodgers or a European will be their next boss,Crystal Palace ??? he has already played that gig with Bournemouth and Burnley,,it,s called survival,Newcastle have a manager who I believe will be there next season and Eddie Howe I believe will be at Parkhead very soon.
He has been given the chance of a lifetime to market himself and show the world of football what he is capable of,he has the opportunity to manage a team who once again could possibly go through the season undefeated,he has the opportunity to show what he can do in Europe,these are all things this guy could only dream about until Desmond knocked on his door,,his wage has risen from £750,000 to £2m per year + bonuses for success,does it get any better ???,some people are saying they think it will take two years to get the title back,I might not have two years left to see that happen, so I want to see that trophy back at Paradise next season,big ask some might say,I dont think so,the Press and Sky and BBC doing their usual to build sevco up to the highest,sevco are not a great team,we are a very poor team and yet there has only been one man who made the difference,,McGregor,put an ordinary keeper between their posts and they are no better than us,and we are a bad team this season..
Howe will deliver next season,I have no doubt about that..
Keep the faith Bhoys and Ghirls,right now it,s all we have left..

HH.

Were kidding ourselves

We've went from supporters to Customers ,and treated like customers

Season ticket holders will buy there tickets just the same as last year ask no questions of the board and be shouted down for any outside protests ,as not being Celtic supporters

just take there seats like the faithfull through and through Customers they have become

All these things that you believe the club have structured for a major rebuild and what the club will do to actually engage with their Customers ,,,,,,aye i'd believe in santa claus first ,,,,won't happen

Celtic have never built on success ,,,ever ,,,and will not have a major rebuild on the showing of this season .
Rodgers was a one off to sooth Desmonds ego ,Rodgers control was soon dismantled by Lawwell (acording to reports ) and the decline well managed ,,,,by our club

And all in clear view of our Customers , we were sold out by the club we support

United supporters took a stand yesterday ,it was interesting that on united blogs and on some twitter they were getting shouted down by the United customers

sort of the same way Celtic customers shouted down the Green Brigade

On a serious note.....I hear what you’re saying.....but...

I ask myself is Dermot Desmond a fool? I’m sure most of us would say that he’s not

That being the case I really doubt he will ignore the seismic feeling of anger and betrayal that is current among the Support.....to do so would be lunacy

He would also know that with next years SPFL winners very likely to go straight in to the Group Stages of the Champions League with the guarantee of circa £35+ million

I just can’t see him allowing that to happen.....so I’m of the view he will act accordingly

The next month or so will determine if I’m right or simply living in hope.....we shall see...

I will keep you one beside me Frank.
Imatim is 100% correct mate,it would be financial suicide on Desmonds part if he had not tied Eddie Howe to a contract before now to allow Howe to run his eye over who he would like to bring to Paradise.
Forget Tottenham,either Rodgers or a European will be their next boss,Crystal Palace ??? he has already played that gig with Bournemouth and Burnley,,it,s called survival,Newcastle have a manager who I believe will be there next season and Eddie Howe I believe will be at Parkhead very soon.
He has been given the chance of a lifetime to market himself and show the world of football what he is capable of,he has the opportunity to manage a team who once again could possibly go through the season undefeated,he has the opportunity to show what he can do in Europe,these are all things this guy could only dream about until Desmond knocked on his door,,his wage has risen from £750,000 to £2m per year + bonuses for success,does it get any better ???,some people are saying they think it will take two years to get the title back,I might not have two years left to see that happen, so I want to see that trophy back at Paradise next season,big ask some might say,I dont think so,the Press and Sky and BBC doing their usual to build sevco up to the highest,sevco are not a great team,we are a very poor team and yet there has only been one man who made the difference,,McGregor,put an ordinary keeper between their posts and they are no better than us,and we are a bad team this season..
Howe will deliver next season,I have no doubt about that..
Keep the faith Bhoys and Ghirls,right now it,s all we have left..

HH.
Another terrific post GS, and like Imatim's post I love the positivity and optimism. I could've written it myself before I took my Celtic supporters hat off. But I would've been kidding myself. I would've been stating what I hoped would happen, rather than what I think will happen.

I understand the thinking behind the optimism; we really only have to be better than the team above us, and as you say, they're not world beaters. I mean no disrespect to the rest of the clubs in Scottish football, but the truth is, the game here is very poor.

Sad thing is though, we've regressed to the point where a number of our players simply aren't good enough to wear the jersey, and those who are decent, don't want to be here.. I know that probably sounds like something a cheesed-off supporter would say. But I actually believe it.

The number of new players needed to challenge shows the extraordinary extent of our collapse. I think we're both long enough in the tooth to accept the fact that some of those players will struggle with the weight of our famous jersey. They won't all hit the ground running.

I hope you are 100% correct in your assessment. I hope I have egg all over my face come the end of next season. Believe me, there's nothing I would like more. In fact, I'll meet you at the Walfrid statue before or after the game and I'll gladly shake your hand and buy you a pint.

As for Howe, you've perfectly summed up the wonderful opportunity he has to establish himself amongst the top managers. I'm just not convinced he has what is takes. That's not me having a go at the bloke. I really don't see enough in his time at smaller clubs to feel I can say he's the right man. I just don't know.

Still, I'm up for the journey. HH

On a serious note.....I hear what you’re saying.....but...

I ask myself is Dermot Desmond a fool? I’m sure most of us would say that he’s not

That being the case I really doubt he will ignore the seismic feeling of anger and betrayal that is current among the Support.....to do so would be lunacy

He would also know that with next years SPFL winners very likely to go straight in to the Group Stages of the Champions League with the guarantee of circa £35+ million

I just can’t see him allowing that to happen.....so I’m of the view he will act accordingly

The next month or so will determine if I’m right or simply living in hope.....we shall see...
Can only see but would point out he did next to nothing to enquire why we lost out on champions league revenue each year and why we were never ready , never had the signings needed not to mention the millions wasted on projects

Feel a more hands on day to day approach is what we need not a look after the horse is bolted , like everyone else we live in hope but Celtic have played this role many times before

Members online

Latest posts

Back