Real Betis v Celtic - Europa League 5.45pm Thursday 16th September

It amazes me the amount of differing opinions on the same game.
I think ajeti is doin well with the opportunity he's got. Some claiming he scored with his nose. I don't care if he used his tool, he got himself in the position which is the sign of a good striker. He also didn't shite out of the tackle that won the penallty. While there's no disputing ralstons heart, but he was caught out of position for two possibly three of their goals. Ange is too slow to think on his feet. He needs to make subs sooner and I'm not just talkin about tonight. Apart from that........

Last edited:
I think ajeti is doin well with the opportunity he's got. Some claiming he scored with his nose. I don't care if he used his tool, he got himself in the position which is the sign of a good striker. He also didn't shite out of the tackle that won the penallty. While there's no disputing ralstons heart, but he was caught out of position for two possibly three of their goals. Ange is too slow to think on his feet. He needs to make subs sooner and I'm not just talkin about tonight. Apart from that........
Had to wait until 11 pm UK time to watch the game, thanks EUFA
Soro was caught out ball watching, for at least 2 of their goals
I don't see what people see in him, he's too rash in the tackle, and his positional awareness is lacking
When Ralston goes forward it's up to Soro to tuck in, he doesn't
Starfelt still gives me the fear and wtf was McCarthy doing with the wee lobs and back passes, when we had just scored with two minutes to go ?
I was going mad shouting at the screen
Yes, we missed Kyogo, CalMac & Jamesie, but we should have had enough to beat them, as 2 up in the first twenty minutes, called for tightening up
Joe Hart made a couple of great saves, but there was nothing he could do with their 4
How about Juranovic's penalty ? What a shot that was, and big Rogic, hitting the post, that was a beauty, he's a gem of a player
Jota looks a player, Ralston did well, and deserved his goal, big CCV was solid at the back and the yellow card for a non foul was puzzling
Ach, didn't expect us to play as well going forward with the depleted squad, so not entirely unhappy with the effort from those involved
Onwards & upwards
Off to check how the Europa predictor went ;-)

HH

Last edited:
Ajeti played well, and got in there for his goal
Agree about the subs, but with a depleted squad, it's tough
I think we have to take the positives from this
HH

Just finished watching on Celtic TV after delayed stream!

I'm disappointed only because we were 2 nil up. Overall the performance was pretty good. A neutral watching 2-2 at half time was fair. But to be 2-0 up and go in at half time 2-2 was criminal!!! I know everyone will say that Ange is too attacking, but I'm not sure he can do anything about that. We as a team need to get more streetwise, go down take the string out the game (it's not just being too attacking).
Second half, 2 quick fire goals from them really killed the game for us, I thought a drubbing was on the cards. But, Ange has instilled (or he's brought in those type of players) that we didn't give up. If Rogic's shot had been on the other side of the post (like their 4th) then we would have come away will a 4-4 draw. So again tight matches are usually defined by tight margins and this game was decided by the post in reality!

Was I entertained - absolutely!

Disappointed with the results - in the cold light of day some really good promising signs coming this team.

It took jock more than two months to build his te
We only missed Callum. One player. Jota more than covered the absent Abadas position. IMHO Welsh should have played and Starfelt dropped.
Mistakes were made tonight, before the game.
That's big game test No 4 that Ange has failed. But hey, we'll hammer Livi 4-0 at the weekend, an everyone will be happy.

Big test #4??
1. Midtjylland away
2. Hearts away
3. Rangers away
4. Betis away

Don't think we have any god given right to beat any of those teams away from home. But each defeat was by 1 goal. Lots of excuses to why we lost those games. Ange won't use excuses so I wont either.

which mistakes were made before the game? Not playing Welsh? Not playing McCarthy?

And yes everyone will be happy with a 4-0 win at Livi, I would be happy with any sort of win after a tiring Europa cup match and not winning there since 2007. I'm not sure why a Celtic fan would not be happy with a win at Livingstone on sunday?

We missed Calmac. That's for certain. Makes you wonder how we'd manage if he had a long term lay off?
Ajeti more than compensated for the loss of Kyogo, as did Jota for Abada.
Betis stepped up a gear after we went 2 up. One of their players is 40 btw.
Their left winger ran riot all night, an we let him.
Sure we got one back after they used all their subs.
Them being able to use all 5 subs was to their advantage. They could take tired players, players on a yellow off, give others some game time, Ange looks at his bench and there are no options to change the game. He brings on Defensive Midfielder for Defensive Midfielder because Soro was a red card waiting to happen. Other than McCarthy Welsh was the only other he could have trusted to come on and as we were chasing the game he isn't really an option to change the game.
They are a very good team with some exceptionally good players, they were always going to dominate periods of the game. The fact we actually gave them a game with half a dozen starters missing showed, to me anyway, Ange has a system that in time will work, but only when he is backed and given a strong enough squad to compete.
We have a board who only want to participate in Europe, we have a manager who wants to compete.

Them being able to use all 5 subs was to their advantage. They could take tired players, players on a yellow off, give others some game time, Ange looks at his bench and there are no options to change the game. He brings on Defensive Midfielder for Defensive Midfielder because Soro was a red card waiting to happen. Other than McCarthy Welsh was the only other he could have trusted to come on and as we were chasing the game he isn't really an option to change the game.
They are a very good team with some exceptionally good players, they were always going to dominate periods of the game. The fact we actually gave them a game with half a dozen starters missing showed, to me anyway, Ange has a system that in time will work, but only when he is backed and given a strong enough squad to compete.
We have a board who only want to participate in Europe, we have a manager who wants to compete.
I think the 5 subs should be recalled I get why it was introduced but teams with bigger pockets have a far bigger advantage than others 5 subs is replacing half the outfield playing team not right imo

Big test #4??
1. Midtjylland away
2. Hearts away
3. Rangers away
4. Betis away

Don't think we have any god given right to beat any of those teams away from home. But each defeat was by 1 goal. Lots of excuses to why we lost those games. Ange won't use excuses so I wont either.

which mistakes were made before the game? Not playing Welsh? Not playing McCarthy?

And yes everyone will be happy with a 4-0 win at Livi, I would be happy with any sort of win after a tiring Europa cup match and not winning there since 2007. I'm not sure why a Celtic fan would not be happy with a win at Livingstone on sunday?
We should be dealing with teams like Midtylland and Hearts home and away in my opinion ...both really poor teams but maybe they games came too soon for us .As for the game against the knuckledraggers ...i dont think we were at the races that day ..guys like Christie and Eddy shouldnt have played then there was guys being played out of position.We looked dangerous going forward last night but that defence needs sorting out ...usual pish though ..we concede a goal and we collapse ..cut out the silly mistakes and this could be s great season for us.

I get what your saying Gary regarding a lack of subs to freshen up the team when needed.
For me, that doesn't excuse the tactical side of the game.
OK going for using a 5 man high press with real intensity and worked very well for the first half hour, get it comes with huge risk also, as chances were still handed up even while in domination of the game.
Will still leave plenty of space for the better teams to exploit also, and betis took full advantage of this down our right side 2nd half.
It's OK been totally entertained with high risk football and will reap its reward against lesser opposition, but still to risky for my liking against better opposition who are comfortable in possession and clever enough to exploit our weekness.
Still game management counts for a lot in today's game, yet the physiology of Ange is yet to weaver.
Can't argue with Soro been asked to play high intensity and getting it wrong early doors, yet taking getting stuck in with Soro again comes with high risk, as taking that out of his game your not left with a whole lot. Mccarthy wasn't an option really with not being anywhere near fit enough.
The players were still available when 2 up even if the tactical awareness was still missing.
Monty is not a winger and will never be one also imo, so could we have taken off Soro, bought on Welsh, moved Monty back into a wing back role, allowing Turnbull and josip to tighten up the centre of midfield and use Ralston as the other wing back, allowing for Rogic to play without any defensive duties?
Enjoying the high risk intensive football which is very entertaining, but European football is still very much a learning curb for us still, so an improvement remains in terms of game management and tactical awareness for us to become a very strong team in European competition, as the squad of players still remain with the ability to achieve that imo.

Maybe we just missed Greg Taylor more than we thought we would. :oops:
Seriously though until we get a settled back line this will continue. That's why I was so surprised AP left Welsh out. He and Starfelt were at least getting to know each other. With Ralston on the right we had 3 of a regular back 4. Well, as regular as you can get this season.
Last year we finished bottom and no one conceded more goals than us in the Europa League.
Now I know a lot of us are excited by the attacking football we're playing and it is good to watch. However, it's becoming clear to me, even if we had a full strength team, we cannot possibly keep it up for a full 90 minutes. No one can. It's early in the season an players are already pulling up with injuries, some in training.
We have to find our rhythm. When to turn it on when to just hold on to the ball and make the opposition work for it.
It's all well an good flying out of the blocks but as seen last night after half an hour we ran out of steam and it seemed ideas.
A 95 minute game of football is not a sprint, there are times when you have to defend, to conserve energy, especially in heat like yesterday.
And use your subs isn't that what they're for?
I think we'll do better at home in Europe this season, I bloody hope so anyway.

Maybe we just missed Greg Taylor more than we thought we would. :oops:
Seriously though until we get a settled back line this will continue. That's why I was so surprised AP left Welsh out. He and Starfelt were at least getting to know each other. With Ralston on the right we had 3 of a regular back 4. Well, as regular as you can get this season.
Last year we finished bottom and no one conceded more goals than us in the Europa League.
Now I know a lot of us are excited by the attacking football we're playing and it is good to watch. However, it's becoming clear to me, even if we had a full strength team, we cannot possibly keep it up for a full 90 minutes. No one can. It's early in the season an players are already pulling up with injuries, some in training.
We have to find our rhythm. When to turn it on when to just hold on to the ball and make the opposition work for it.
It's all well an good flying out of the blocks but as seen last night after half an hour we ran out of steam and it seemed ideas.
A 95 minute game of football is not a sprint, there are times when you have to defend, to conserve energy, especially in heat like yesterday.
And use your subs isn't that what they're for?
I think we'll do better at home in Europe this season, I bloody hope so anyway.
Think it's more to do with the defensive line growing more in confidence with the midfield more so imo brim.
Grand in the spfl where we tend to totally dominate possession so defensively the midfield aren't tested in the same manner European football can bring.
We aren't using any defensive lines in midfield with a high intensity approach to winning the ball back.
With the goals been conceded last night, all 4 were avoidable but for a catalogue of individual defensive offers, tells me that panic remains within the back line with a lack of confidence of the defensive duties of the midfield playing in front of them imo.
Will always claim having Turnbull and Rogic in the same midfield 3 is a very dangerous approach, even though both played very well in an attacking sence, still bought about pressure when the high intensity press was broken, leading to a lot of panic within the back 4.
Not going to worry to much in that regards last night, where success in the spfl remains a higher priority this season and still believe very few teams will be able to handle this style of play, when more player options are available in the midfield.
Still early days for the back 4 to form partnerships, Starfelt and CCV only 2nd game together, Starfelt and josip, 2nd game together, CCV and Ralston, 1st game together and all 4 unfamiliar with Soro in front of them still.
These partnerships should develop in time, even if it remains unclear to the best remedy to the problems still.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Back