Real Betis

2-1 Betis full time. Totally dominated for about an hour, should have been 4 or 5 up. Fekir is their main man, everything goes through him, he was subbed after an hour along with Carvalho and Betis suddenly fell out of the game. Granada equalised and looked most likely to get a winner. Betis then score on the break in the last minute.
They are a good team, better than AZ in the qualifier, but can be got at, especially in behind the full backs who push really high up the pitch. At full strength a draw in Seville would be a good result, our lack of squad depth may be our downfall.

2-1 Betis full time. Totally dominated for about an hour, should have been 4 or 5 up. Fekir is their main man, everything goes through him, he was subbed after an hour along with Carvalho and Betis suddenly fell out of the game. Granada equalised and looked most likely to get a winner. Betis then score on the break in the last minute.
They are a good team, better than AZ in the qualifier, but can be got at, especially in behind the full backs who push really high up the pitch. At full strength a draw in Seville would be a good result, our lack of squad depth may be our downfall.
Never seen to much to really worry us myself Gary,
based on the 2nd half anyway.
Hope Ange opts for the extra man in midfield as betis look dangerous especially on the counter.
Agreed Gary that there back 4 can be got at when put under pressure

Watched the whole game they are a good side if we get anything from this game it will bonus
I will disagree McGarrell.
I believe on the bigger picture that we need to be able to not only compete against the likes of betis, but also the ability to go to such venues and win also.
We are hoping to be a CL group stages team next season and the process is about winning the spfl first.
Yet I expect us to do that, and the second part would be about weather this current squad are good enough for such a venture.
I believe they will, so it's only about timing now.
Ange will be new to the demands of European football and a great test for his tactical ability, yet remain confident he has the ability for such a challenge.
Still plenty of experience within the squad for European competition still.
Hoping more for a total change in mindset, in believing we can go and play and beat the likes of betis, to start believing we are worthy of being regarded as a good CL team next season, but first we need to start showing we are currently a decent europa league team hoping to improve and think we are still.

Celtic's Europa League opponents Real Betis have suffered a blow for Thursday's meeting in Spain with former Barcelona defender Marc Bartra ruled out after going off injured in Monday's win over Granada.
Bartra isn't one of their first choice centre halfs. Last night was his first start of the season and the Argentinian who replaced him, Prezzella, usually starts with Ruiz.

I will disagree McGarrell.
I believe on the bigger picture that we need to be able to not only compete against the likes of betis, but also the ability to go to such venues and win also.
We are hoping to be a CL group stages team next season and the process is about winning the spfl first.
Yet I expect us to do that, and the second part would be about weather this current squad are good enough for such a venture.
I believe they will, so it's only about timing now.
Ange will be new to the demands of European football and a great test for his tactical ability, yet remain confident he has the ability for such a challenge.
Still plenty of experience within the squad for European competition still.
Hoping more for a total change in mindset, in believing we can go and play and beat the likes of betis, to start believing we are worthy of being regarded as a good CL team next season, but first we need to start showing we are currently a decent europa league team hoping to improve and think we are still.
Hope your right

Unfortunately, I think the europa is our level for the foreseeable future. We certainly aren't a champions league team at this moment in time, champions league stadium and fans, absolutely, but not team ...we are cannon fodder. A pot 4 pity f€ck that UEFA hand to the Diddy leagues to keep them happy.
We could qualify for every single champs league from now to the end of time, and still be humped 8-0 by the PSGs and real Madrids every season. Because the same thing will happen every year. Our board will take the money, sell our best players and replace them with future talent and loanees. We will enter every qualifier or first couple of group games well under prepared due to the manager having to start from scratch. Will Ange get 3 or 4 seasons to mould this team in order to take them the next step in Europe....Will he fuck. Kyogo will be in the window before the ink dries on his contract. Our board don't want a champions league team. They have no interest in it. Scrape to the group stages and they get their pay out....don't scrape to the group stages....not to worry. Sell our players. We have a punchers chance in the europa. To beat Betis will be huge for Celtic...to get out the group will be huge for Celtic.

Unfortunately, I think the europa is our level for the foreseeable future. We certainly aren't a champions league team at this moment in time, champions league stadium and fans, absolutely, but not team ...we are cannon fodder. A pot 4 pity f€ck that UEFA hand to the Diddy leagues to keep them happy.
We could qualify for every single champs league from now to the end of time, and still be humped 8-0 by the PSGs and real Madrids every season. Because the same thing will happen every year. Our board will take the money, sell our best players and replace them with future talent and loanees. We will enter every qualifier or first couple of group games well under prepared due to the manager having to start from scratch. Will Ange get 3 or 4 seasons to mould this team in order to take them the next step in Europe....Will he fuck. Kyogo will be in the window before the ink dries on his contract. Our board don't want a champions league team. They have no interest in it. Scrape to the group stages and they get their pay out....don't scrape to the group stages....not to worry. Sell our players. We have a punchers chance in the europa. To beat Betis will be huge for Celtic...to get out the group will be huge for Celtic.
I would like to be far more optimistic than that Lubos.
Still think there are potential huge changes to come within European football in the near future and still in a potential basis to be able to handle such changes if they should materialise.
With the blindness of the 10iar gone now then more focus can be placed upon European football and will give the benefit of doubt to the board even if your 100%correct over the way things were done the last few seasons.
Believe with the change in format of the competition makes this season europa league even tougher than usual.
I believe only group winners are sure to progress to the next round, with coming 2nd is a play off with a CL 3rd place team, and even coming 3rd in the group is a play off with a 2nd place team to progress in the European conference competition.
Now I do stand to be corrected on that.
Even so, I believe we still have a good few players that are worthy of being classed as CL players with more hoping to improve enough to earn that right and still think that is possible still.
Still wouldn't put it beyond our capabilities of been able to win this group where home form will be crucial, and that would be some achievement.

I would like to be far more optimistic than that Lubos.
Still think there are potential huge changes to come within European football in the near future and still in a potential basis to be able to handle such changes if they should materialise.
With the blindness of the 10iar gone now then more focus can be placed upon European football and will give the benefit of doubt to the board even if your 100%correct over the way things were done the last few seasons.
Believe with the change in format of the competition makes this season europa league even tougher than usual.
I believe only group winners are sure to progress to the next round, with coming 2nd is a play off with a CL 3rd place team, and even coming 3rd in the group is a play off with a 2nd place team to progress in the European conference competition.
Now I do stand to be corrected on that.
Even so, I believe we still have a good few players that are worthy of being classed as CL players with more hoping to improve enough to earn that right and still think that is possible still.
Still wouldn't put it beyond our capabilities of been able to win this group where home form will be crucial, and that would be some achievement.

Agree that we have a few champ league players in our team and definitely a few that could be in the future....our problem is that we can never get a full team of champions league players at the same time anymore....soon as anyone shows a bit of promise (Van Dyke, Dembele, Tierney, Wanyama) they are gone....and I'm not putting that at our boards door. Those players wanted to leave....and that's another reason we will struggle to reach the lofty heights ever again. Players get a taste of the big time and want more. They want more money and "harder" matches than what the SPL has to offer.....Ajer is already spouting his "I need a better challenge" pish at Brentford.

Last edited:
Agree that we have a few champ league players in our team and definitely a few that could be in the future....our problem is that we can never get a full team of champions league players at the same time anymore....soon as anyone showes a bit of promise (Van Dyke, Dembele, Tierney, Wanyama) they are gone....and I'm not putting that at our boards door. Those players wanted to leave....and that's another reason we will struggle to reach the lofty heights ever again. Players get a taste of the big time and want more. They want more money and "harder" matches than what the SPL has to offer.....Ajer is already spouting his "I need a better challenge" pish at Brentford.
Couldn't care less what ajer is mouthing about and maybe the end of the season would be time for him to spout his shite if he is in a position to.
The gap is starting to close nowadays, even within the big leagues and also within Europe to a degree.
Players want to play, especially amongst the younger generation breaking through, so no longer sitting in the reserves is attractive when plenty of clubs can nowadays match their wages with the larger incomes available from European football.
We potentially always remain a merry go around club regards players, but seeds have been sown to keep the majority of this squad intact for a few seasons at least, unless a can't refuse bid was to come in.
I strongly believe that there is a much bigger focus upon European football for us as a club in general, even if its without the expected pressure some fans demand.
No idea what to expect this season in Europe but certainly looking forward to it with the current squad at last.

So whit yer saying is we need tae man mark that Fekir fecker right oot the game to keep them quiet!

Aye aye ano coat etc! :LOL:

Back