Realistic signings for the new manager

Docco

Let's face it, whoever it is, he has his work cut out over the Summer to replace the deadwood and want aways
Who would you realistically sign if you were him that fits into our budget and wage structure?

I would sign the St Johnstone Keeper...He is big, commanding , great shot stopper and has always impressed against us

would sign the St Johnstone Keeper.
Which one? Zander Clark, Elliott Parish, or Ross Sinclair? I would guess Zander Clark, who has been having a good season against us and the Huns.

Minority viewpoint: I don't think we need that much because the club has a wealth of young talent out on loan all over the place: Luca Connell, Jack Hendry, Maryan Shved (who would come back after a huge attitude adjustment in Belgium), Jonathan Afolabi, Bayo, etc.

Also, smart clubs are going to be more frugal with the pursestrings in the age of COVID as a matter of survival.

James McCarthy would be worth a shout imo.

The one thing that's been crystal clear this season is that this team lacks players with the ability and appetite for a battle! Broony aside this team is a soft touch and with him off where's that steel, dig and commitment to run through brick walls for the cause coming from?

We need to be adding a few experienced battle-hardened fighters in a few positions to drag ourselves out of this mess imo and McCarthy fits the bill.

James McCarthy would be worth a shout imo.

The one thing that's been crystal clear this season is that this team lacks players with the ability and appetite for a battle! Broony aside this team is a soft touch and with him off where's that steel, dig and commitment to run through brick walls for the cause coming from?

We need to be adding a few experienced battle-hardened fighters in a few positions to drag ourselves out of this mess imo and McCarthy fits the bill.
Wouldn't agree shadow, would keep the physio busy alright and can't even force his way into a piss poor Irish team either, or even a piss poor Palace team. Hope we are looking for a more hungry players than wage stealers

Experienced free transfers from down south - Asmir Begovic, Adam Smith (both Bournemouth) and Josh King (Everton), all three played under Howe. James McCarthy (Palace)
Prospects from SPFL - Doig and Nisbet (Hibs), Ferguson (Aberdeen), Kerr (St Johnstone)

Last edited:
Of those out on loan I wouldn't expect to see Shved, Bolingoli or Bayo return. Hendry and Ntcham will probably return for pre season at least, with Hendry staying as cover for Jullien's injury which will keep him out until October.
Of the youngsters out on loan, Robertson seems to be the most highly rated along with Hjelde (he's only 17 so will probably go out on loan again). Henderson, Afolabi and McInroy are not doing much in the Championship so can see them being punted along with O'Connor. Connell is a mystery. Doing well a QP, but he should be at that level, never even a sniff of a place on the bench since his arrival.
I would assume we will have a reserve/development team again next season so a lot of the younger players out on loan will return to play for that team.

Wouldn't agree shadow, would keep the physio busy alright and can't even force his way into a piss poor Irish team either, or even a piss poor Palace team. Hope we are looking for a more hungry players than wage stealers

If the Irish team is so piss poor and the Crystal Palace team is so piss poor then maybe both managers are making piss poor decisions by not playing him. :unsure: The guy cannae pick himself and when he does play he's always up for the battle and always gives 100% so calling him a wage stealer is a bit harsh mate.

This Celtic squad is powderpuff, we need a few experienced battle-hardened pros if we want our title back and we ain't in a position to be paying top dollar so I reckon McCarthy is a realistic option that could pay off. ;)(y)

If the Irish team is so piss poor and the Crystal Palace team is so piss poor then maybe both managers are making piss poor decisions by not playing him. :unsure: The guy cannae pick himself and when he does play he's always up for the battle and always gives 100% so calling him a wage stealer is a bit harsh mate.

This Celtic squad is powderpuff, we need a few experienced battle-hardened pros if we want our title back and we ain't in a position to be paying top dollar so I reckon McCarthy is a realistic option that could pay off. ;)(y)
Maybe shadow but far to injury prone for my liking. Just sick now of seeing very wealthy ex Premiership players coming to us more for the experience than of the commitment required.
It may well pay off and if the club was interested then only offer him a 1 year contract and let him work hard and see if he warrents an extension and that could apply to many an ex premiership player nowadays

Maybe shadow but far to injury prone for my liking. Just sick now of seeing very wealthy ex Premiership players coming to us more for the experience than of the commitment required.
It may well pay off and if the club was interested then only offer him a 1 year contract and let him work hard and see if he warrents an extension and that could apply to many an ex premiership player nowadays

I get what you're saying about his injury history mate. He had a horrendous double leg break a couple of years back but it seems his biggest problem these days is down to picking up various niggles and strains, the fact that it's no the same recurring injury he's out with again and again could mean his issues are more down to not playing regularly enough than anything else.

You see it with players all the time...they're out long term with a serious injury, they recover from that injury but are only getting game time here and there when they come back and because of that inability to get a proper run of games to get their match fitness back up they start picking up groin strains, muscle strains and niggles in their hamstrings etc. Wee Forrest has had this same problem over the years.

If we can get McCarthy fully fit and get him back playing regularly then we could have an experienced no nonsense player who could add that much needed dig this team sorely needs without paying a penny in transfer fees. You're right we shouldnae be offering him a 3 year contract or anything like that but something shorter term that suits both parties could result in a clever bit of business.

Plus I wouldnae put McCarthy in that bracket of ex-EPL players just here for the 'Celtic experience' the bhoy is a Tim who would've signed for us years ago if Lawell hadn't offered Hamilton such a derisory transfer fee. Another one, just like John McGinn, who slipped through the net because of Lawell's lowballing negotiation tactics. (y)

I get what you're saying about his injury history mate. He had a horrendous double leg break a couple of years back but it seems his biggest problem these days is down to picking up various niggles and strains, the fact that it's no the same recurring injury he's out with again and again could mean his issues are more down to not playing regularly enough than anything else.

You see it with players all the time...they're out long term with a serious injury, they recover from that injury but are only getting game time here and there when they come back and because of that inability to get a proper run of games to get their match fitness back up they start picking up groin strains, muscle strains and niggles in their hamstrings etc. Wee Forrest has had this same problem over the years.

If we can get McCarthy fully fit and get him back playing regularly then we could have an experienced no nonsense player who could add that much needed dig this team sorely needs without paying a penny in transfer fees. You're right we shouldnae be offering him a 3 year contract or anything like that but something shorter term that suits both parties could result in a clever bit of business.

Plus I wouldnae put McCarthy in that bracket of ex-EPL players just here for the 'Celtic experience' the bhoy is a Tim who would've signed for us years ago if Lawell hadn't offered Hamilton such a derisory transfer fee. Another one, just like John McGinn, who slipped through the net because of Lawell's lowballing negotiation tactics. (y)
Also think his career is more on the downward spirel now with a very high risk value involved imo, not a player who would excite myself, but as you say shadow could well turn out to be a shurde bit of business if a new manager could see value in it, just glad to think that PL traitor has nothing more to do with signings as the bastard has far too much fuck ups associated with him

Ffs
The first few players I’ve seen are mentioned are
St Johnstone keeper
Lewis Ferguson
Declan Gallacher
Boyle Fae hibs

is it still 1st April 🙈
Ffs next they’ll be announcing Tommy Wright

I dint know about others views but that’s the type of shite we’ve been signing for years
Champions league 21/22 with that lot 🤣
Is that what we’ve become
hope lawwell ain’t reading this, he’ll be ...
Oh wait

On a serious note Ferguson fae the sheep would do for the project signing
Gets stuck in, can pass and score
Will only get better

Ffs
St Johnstone keeper
Lewis Ferguson
Declan Gallacher
Boyle Fae hibs

is it still 1st April 🙈

I dint know about others views but that’s the type of shite we’ve been signing for years
Oh wait

Will only get better

Realistic Celtic type folk who will bring a bit of steel and heart to the jersey.....now is not the time for fancy fandans....we need guys who know what it means to play for Celtic this year, guys who will go that extra mile every week

I tell the type I want. Professionals. Proper ambitious Professional footballers who realise how lucky they are and train properly. Guys who once they cross the white line are fully committed to the fans that pay their wages. I've had enough of the loanees, there is room for a couple in the squad but we've had too many. I'd also like to see some of the development squad being given the chance to do just that, develop. Some of the early rounds of the cups are ideal for this and the regular 1st teamers should be rested and kept fresh for bigger games, especially in Europe.
Cos the poor wee loves git awfully tired. ;)

Ffs
St Johnstone keeper
Lewis Ferguson
Declan Gallacher
Boyle Fae hibs

is it still 1st April 🙈

Oh wait

Will only get better
Not much choice in our league ..im wanting players who can improve the team ...Nisbet from Hibs looks to have something about him..Fergushun just kicks cunts when things dont go his way ..dont see the fuss over him ..Broony was 10 times the player in his prime.In Europe these guys would get the drawers ripped off them

Members online

Latest posts

Back