Referees close to going on strike

Imatim

More blackmail from the MIB. They want to be totally untouchable and unaccountable for the cheating they are a part of. Screw them.

A LEADING referee accused senior footie figures of pushing them to the verge of revolt, insisting: “A strike won’t be far away.”

The Grade One whistler says they have reached breaking point after a number of high-profile incidents of “abuse”.

We can reveal informal talks have taken place about a walkout threatening the Premiership restart after the winter break on January 23

It comes after Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and Hibs moaned about officials, while two refs were assaulted and John Beaton received vile phone threats.

The source said: “The big question now is how do we resolve this.

“The feeling among many of us is that a strike won’t be far away and most of us if asked to vote on it will vote for it.

In recent weeks we’ve had clubs such as Rangers and Celtic coming out with comment after games because they didn’t get the result they wanted. Craig Levein at Hearts has also been very critical of us. All this is fine but the SFA should be stepping in and dealing with these clubs and individuals.”

He added: “We are made out to be the bad ones and I’ve had abuse from fans when out doing my shopping with my family.

Yes in every game the ref will make mistakes — we’re only human.

“If you tallied up mistakes made by the referee and an individual player over 90 minutes they will make far more mistakes than us but fans don’t go after them.

But these clubs and managers do it and everyone jumps on the bandwagon — it’s ridiculous.”

A walkout would be a repeat of 2010 when all of Scotland’s 31 top officials — employed by the SFA — voted for a one-day strike.

It came after they claimed the governing body wasn’t doing enough to protect them — with colleagues from Israel, Luxembourg and Malta drafted in for games. The insider added:“The current situation is worse than the one in 2010.”

In October, linesman Calum Spence’s head was “burst open” after Gers fan thug Stuart McGaughay, 30, hit him with a coin at Livingston.

And we told how Mr Beaton called in cops last week after getting threats when his mobile number was leaked online following the controversial Old Firm match at Ibrox.

And a week earlier Calum Scott, 29, was assaulted during a Juniors clash between Glenafton Athletic and Cambuslang Rangers.

Our source said: “How does anyone think it’s acceptable to launch a coin at someone purely because they are an official?

“This in itself shows how toxic the current situation is. If the SFA started issuing larger fines or docking points maybe then fans will realise they can’t beh-ave the way they are.”

Prospect Union, who represent many refs, said at the weekend the situation was at “crisis point”. They said: “All professional football organisations have a responsibility to lead by example and do everything to deter behaviours that affect officials’ health and safety.

One member described the current situation as the worst atmosphere and environment he has seen for over a decade.”

Labour MP Iain Murray – the former Foundation of Hearts Chairman – urged the SFA to “do everything” to prevent a walkout.

He added: “If they strike it would have a difficult impact on the playing of games and resources available to clubs in terms of playing those games and whether or not we’d be able to finish league and cup competitions this season.”

The SFA said: “We won’t be commenting.”

So after half a season of managers, ex players and pundits going on about how crap the ref's have been, after one of the most blatant displays of cheating we've witnessed in years, now they're talking about a strike, you couldn't make this up folks, they can go on strike and stay on strike, they'll be doing us all a favour.

Well put Benignus. In their desperation to assist their Sevco team they went well and truly over the line and have been asked for an explanation. Now they are trying to deflect the situation from the 29th by muddying the waters with the tale of the ‘unprotected officials’ crap.

A word of caution though they will use their media to turn this against Celtic and we need to realise this is not just the referees this is the corrupt Scottish Football Establishment In motion here. There are a few on here that argued earlier that the referees were “shitty” and “incompetent” well I believe everyone from Lands end to JohnO’Groats know now what’s going on here in Scottish Football and it’s constitunal corruption - a farce that’s been going on for years.

The threat of the strike action I’m not entirely sure if it’s another ploy to help the Sevco to the league so I will leave that analysis to those on here with a deeper insight than me. HH??

Like most have said, there have been complaints all season in regards to the standard of our refereeing and no strike action has been talked about. But as soon as celtic complains the treat of strike action is used. In my opinion the reason for this threat is the same as last time and it's nothing to do with standards or complaints and more to do with the referee being caught blatantly cheating. The last time the refs got caught cheating so they called a strike so that celtic were seen as the agitators and not them and they are using the same play from the same playbook and trying to make this celtics fault.

No matter the cost we must continue to fight this as failure to do so will only calm things down for a short time then it will only get worse again.

They brought this on themselves,hell mend them, we and other sites must continue this complaining about their behaviour,cannot let go now,they have been called out,others outwith Celtic are making it known ,they are unhappy, the dinosaurs who run Scottish football are totally to blame, I will say this again and again,if the ‘panel ‘had taken action ,instead of shirking their responsibility,we would not be here, personally I am delighted they have caused this,we need this out in the open,go on strike, can’t wait to see then all running for cover, hh

Truthfully, I can understand a small group´s desire to retain an element of power. Once it is relinquished it is gone forever. I cannot see the LRA voluntarily giving up their perceived control. At the moment they feel untouchable, beyond criticism, and entitled to do things as they have always been done. They are like the lynch mobs of 1950s Alabama. They do as they please and they please no one but themselves.
It took Rosa Parks (et al) and a host of major demonstrations to change things. Sadly, I do not see Scottish Football changing without a Rosa Parks figure and some pushback from those of us who want to see change.
If the referees go on strike we ought to use it as a sign to up the ante.

I personally know Ian maxwell and I was looking forward to him establishing himself within Scottish football. Knowing Ian for a few years now he is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. But it hurts to say after Ragans shitshow of running the SFA I thought things could only get better, but this season when I look at how the SFA is being run this season it really has become the laughing stock of world football. If we had any shred of dignity left it has gone now.

I really hope celtic have the guys to continue fighting this issue no matter the threats but I think PL is more interested in being on the good side of the SFA

Truthfully, I can understand a small group´s desire to retain an element of power. Once it is relinquished it is gone forever. I cannot see the LRA voluntarily giving up their perceived control. At the moment they feel untouchable, beyond criticism, and entitled to do things as they have always been done. They are like the lynch mobs of 1950s Alabama. They do as they please and they please no one but themselves.
It took Rosa Parks (et al) and a host of major demonstrations to change things. Sadly, I do not see Scottish Football changing without a Rosa Parks figure and some pushback from those of us who want to see change.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Risa Parks refereeing a match Much rather have her than Douglas Park at least

And let's not even get started on segregation on buses or parking them

HH,?

I personally know Ian maxwell and I was looking forward to him establishing himself within Scottish football. Knowing Ian for a few years now he is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. But it hurts to say after Ragans shitshow of running the SFA I thought things could only get better, but this season when I look at how the SFA is being run this season it really has become the laughing stock of world football. If we had any shred of dignity left it has gone now.

I really hope celtic have the guys to continue fighting this issue no matter the threats but I think PL is more interested in being on the good side of the SFA

PL is more interested in his BONUS!!

HH?

They brought this on themselves,hell mend them, we and other sites must continue this complaining about their behaviour,cannot let go now,they have been called out,others outwith Celtic are making it known ,they are unhappy, the dinosaurs who run Scottish football are totally to blame, I will say this again and again,if the ‘panel ‘had taken action ,instead of shirking their responsibility,we would not be here, personally I am delighted they have caused this,we need this out in the open,go on strike, can’t wait to see then all running for cover, hh
Yes the the temperature has been raised significantly,and will continue to raise,we can’t be the ‘Rosa Parks’ all of us, need to keep this up,Maxwell ,sfa, chief exec,is now under pressure,we need to keep this up, and we will get a result,convinced of that ,hh

Yes the the temperature has been raised significantly,and will continue to raise,we can’t be the ‘Rosa Parks’ all of us, need to keep this up,Maxwell ,sfa, chief exec,is now under pressure,we need to keep this up, and we will get a result,convinced of that ,hh
Should be ‘can be the Rosa Parks’ !!

"After the arrest of Rosa Parks, black people of Montgomery and sympathizers of other races organized and promoted a boycott of the city bus line that lasted 381 days. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was appointed the spokesperson for the Bus Boycott and taught nonviolence to all participants. Contingent with the protest in Montgomery, others took shape throughout the south and the country. They took form as sit-ins, eat-ins, swim-ins, and similar causes. Thousands of courageous people joined the “protest” to demand equal rights for all people." http://www.rosaparks.org/biography/

Boycotts can work!
If Celtic fans stopped travelling to away games in the SPFL then other teams would sit up and take notice.
Clubs such as Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, and Sevco might not suffer too much but the others are like remora fish! They are so attached to a big team (for revenue) that they could not prosper long-term without the crumbs that fall from our mouths. I am confident that even with just token support Celtic can dominate the league and cups......but without the ´Celtic Pound´ smaller clubs would be much worse off.

"After the arrest of Rosa Parks, black people of Montgomery and sympathizers of other races organized and promoted a boycott of the city bus line that lasted 381 days. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was appointed the spokesperson for the Bus Boycott and taught nonviolence to all participants. Contingent with the protest in Montgomery, others took shape throughout the south and the country. They took form as sit-ins, eat-ins, swim-ins, and similar causes. Thousands of courageous people joined the “protest” to demand equal rights for all people." http://www.rosaparks.org/biography/

Boycotts can work!
If Celtic fans stopped travelling to away games in the SPFL then other teams would sit up and take notice.
Clubs such as Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, and Sevco might not suffer too much but the others are like remora fish! They are so attached to a big team (for revenue) that they could not prosper long-term without the crumbs that fall from our mouths. I am confident that even with just token support Celtic can dominate the league and cups......but without the ´Celtic Pound´ smaller clubs would be much worse off.
More blackmail from the MIB. They want to be totally untouchable and unaccountable for the cheating they are a part of. Screw them.

A LEADING referee accused senior footie figures of pushing them to the verge of revolt, insisting: “A strike won’t be far away.”

The Grade One whistler says they have reached breaking point after a number of high-profile incidents of “abuse”.

We can reveal informal talks have taken place about a walkout threatening the Premiership restart after the winter break on January 23

It comes after Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and Hibs moaned about officials, while two refs were assaulted and John Beaton received vile phone threats.

The source said: “The big question now is how do we resolve this.

“The feeling among many of us is that a strike won’t be far away and most of us if asked to vote on it will vote for it.

In recent weeks we’ve had clubs such as Rangers and Celtic coming out with comment after games because they didn’t get the result they wanted. Craig Levein at Hearts has also been very critical of us. All this is fine but the SFA should be stepping in and dealing with these clubs and individuals.”

He added: “We are made out to be the bad ones and I’ve had abuse from fans when out doing my shopping with my family.

Yes in every game the ref will make mistakes — we’re only human.

“If you tallied up mistakes made by the referee and an individual player over 90 minutes they will make far more mistakes than us but fans don’t go after them.

But these clubs and managers do it and everyone jumps on the bandwagon — it’s ridiculous.”

A walkout would be a repeat of 2010 when all of Scotland’s 31 top officials — employed by the SFA — voted for a one-day strike.

It came after they claimed the governing body wasn’t doing enough to protect them — with colleagues from Israel, Luxembourg and Malta drafted in for games. The insider added:“The current situation is worse than the one in 2010.”

In October, linesman Calum Spence’s head was “burst open” after Gers fan thug Stuart McGaughay, 30, hit him with a coin at Livingston.

And we told how Mr Beaton called in cops last week after getting threats when his mobile number was leaked online following the controversial Old Firm match at Ibrox.

And a week earlier Calum Scott, 29, was assaulted during a Juniors clash between Glenafton Athletic and Cambuslang Rangers.

Our source said: “How does anyone think it’s acceptable to launch a coin at someone purely because they are an official?

“This in itself shows how toxic the current situation is. If the SFA started issuing larger fines or docking points maybe then fans will realise they can’t beh-ave the way they are.”

Prospect Union, who represent many refs, said at the weekend the situation was at “crisis point”. They said: “All professional football organisations have a responsibility to lead by example and do everything to deter behaviours that affect officials’ health and safety.

One member described the current situation as the worst atmosphere and environment he has seen for over a decade.”

Labour MP Iain Murray – the former Foundation of Hearts Chairman – urged the SFA to “do everything” to prevent a walkout.

He added: “If they strike it would have a difficult impact on the playing of games and resources available to clubs in terms of playing those games and whether or not we’d be able to finish league and cup competitions this season.”

The SFA said: “We won’t be commenting.”
Going on strike, the wee petted lip, they should apply the rules of the game and be fair and stop ripping the fans off. They are so corrupt they would break their own picket lines.

Strike ? When you go 'on strike' that usually entails you having a grievance against your employer . As has been mentioned elsewhere , referees in this country are doing this 'job' as a sideline - they all have other real occupations and employers - with whom they are not in dispute .
So if/when they withdraw their labour it is not a strike per se , it is simply them not doing their ( well paid ) hobby .

I would like to think that if they decided to 'withdraw' their labour then the wider world may be interested in why this has happened . Then proper scrutiny of their woeful officiating over the years may have a spotlight shined on it - not to mention the 'honest mistakes' which happen on an all too regular basis .

So , bring it on ! Let the world see what we have witnessed for years .

Let the SFA explain :
why they as the games administrators have been so negligent in their guardianship of football that we have a situation where most clubs do not trust referees ( either their competence or , in some cases their integrity );
why cheating by a club is not only condoned but also abetted by the SFA chief executive ;
why a member club is knowingly allowed to withhold information from a judicial inquiry into that same clubs wrongdoing ;
why the Uefa rules of entry to competition are ignored for the benefit of one club .

A referees' strike ? That is the least of the worries that should be troubling the authorities today .

Last edited:
Slippy is now showing how much of a hypocrite he really is, ‘we must show respect and support to the officials’or words to that effect, Graham Spiers has called him out on this,also said that the situation at ipox has made Morelos a marked man now,well slippy that is your doing,this clown is no footballer, a hatchet man,of the first order,you are happy to watch him do his thug act ,as long as you were winning,Maybe now it has been brought to light,we will get some justice,not only Celtic ,but others in this league,I honestly hope the board will keep this at the top of the agenda,no more officials shouting ‘ red card,red card’,crap,!BR has acted as you would expect, a true and proper gentleman during his time here,no doubt angry and frustrated at MANY of the decisions made,but nonetheless keep his comments to himself,keep pushing this forward,they are beginning to crack,hh

only in Scotland could useless c/nts go on strike because
1 they don't understand or don't apply the rules of the game
2 get caught out each time cheating

,in a perfect senario the spfl would breakaway from the sfa and appoint Refs who KNOW the rules of the game never happen though

wonder if they are as useless at their daytime job

Back