Renewals reach 50,000 but there’s ‘No Chance’ of Main Stand Expansion

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
Renewals reach 50,000 but there’s ‘No Chance’ of Main Stand Expansion...latest from Lubo98 who yesterday graduated with an excellent 2:1 honours degree in Law for the University of Strathclyde.

Renewals reach 50,000 but there’s ‘No Chance’ of Main Stand Expansion...latest from Lubo98 who yesterday graduated with an excellent 2:1 honours degree in Law for the University of Strathclyde.

To extend the main stand, they’d need to close it for probably about a year, the well heeled big wigs would need to sit somewhere else, the rank and file fan would be bump oot, which is why it’s a non starter, shoulda knocked it down when they rebuilt the stadium 🤔

An upgraded main stand would render it out of action for a year and with no facilities we would have to play at Hampden for a year. We have done that before and could do it again. The problem however is the risk of not filling an 80,000 seat stadium when we play St Mirren and Livingston and Hamilton et al. We could fill it for a Derby game and big Euro matches but the board well remember the days of 25,000 and closed upper stands. Our fans are not win, lose or draw. They are pick and choose. They will flock to a winning team. Of course there are about 30,000 who will always come, but sadly not 80,000. Therein lies the problem. Fickle fans who regard attendance as optional. Living 12,000 miles away I see that as almost sinful. Upgrading the main stand has to happen but it has to be totally rebuilt and not just refurbished. There will never be the perfect time to do so. If the stadium can be consistently filled then it will be built. I cannot imagine it remaining the same for the next 25 years. The problem is not the Board. The fans can make it happen.

Football will always be played in the future. The past can be glorious but it does not predict the future. I would love to see a Celtic team that was able to compete and beat some of the best teams in Europe. Yet I see a Celtic team that often fails against lesser ranked European teams.
I'd like us to be professional in every aspect. Every member of staff. How can we improve for this season. The greatest area of undeveloped real estate is the space between the ears. Thoughts, feelings emotions and responses must be professional. The Chicago Bulls - The Last Dance , The All Blacks -Legacy, two great resources to point out the psychology of winners. Sunderland till I Die - the opposite.
Is there a better way to take throw ins, corners, free kicks and penalties? or not? What innovations have worked? How do you get past a ten man defence? Crosses from the wings all the time? We seem to lack the ability to change a game plan or formation if that is required. How can a player possibly leave the pitch with plenty of gas still in the tank? I worry that we aim too low and that there is not enough hunger for glory. Must Be the close season. Bring on the Ten.

Football will always be played in the future. The past can be glorious but it does not predict the future. I would love to see a Celtic team that was able to compete and beat some of the best teams in Europe. Yet I see a Celtic team that often fails against lesser ranked European teams.
I'd like us to be professional in every aspect. Every member of staff. How can we improve for this season. The greatest area of undeveloped real estate is the space between the ears. Thoughts, feelings emotions and responses must be professional. The Chicago Bulls - The Last Dance , The All Blacks -Legacy, two great resources to point out the psychology of winners. Sunderland till I Die - the opposite.
Is there a better way to take throw ins, corners, free kicks and penalties? or not? What innovations have worked? How do you get past a ten man defence? Crosses from the wings all the time? We seem to lack the ability to change a game plan or formation if that is required. How can a player possibly leave the pitch with plenty of gas still in the tank? I worry that we aim too low and that there is not enough hunger for glory. Must Be the close season. Bring on the Ten.

I tend to agree with a lot of what you say.....can we improve on throw ins, free kicks, corners, etc?.....of course we can.....it does my head in sometimes how predictable we are.....I do however think we are endeavouring to tactically adjust to the 10 men behind the ball.....by playing 3 at at the back.....which allows us to get an extra man in midfield.....where we previously tended to get out manned.....and I can also see us getting the ball forward a lot quicker under Neil than we did with the other guy.....the improvements you advocate are valid imo.....It would certainly improve us if we looked at these areas seriously and sorted them out.....I had hoped we would bring someone in with a European flavour in a coaching capacity.....as they tend to have a bit more tactical nous and game management savvy.....I hope Strachan has that.....we’ll see soon enough.....anyway good post Doc.....keep em coming...

If the opposition can predict what will happen in the next few seconds when we have possession then they can position their defence. It's easy to coach defence. We are an attack minded team and are used to a 5-5 formation against us in Scotland. Parking the bus. We have to around the bus, over the bus or through the bus. Why is it always around the bus. What proportion of crosses result in goals? approximately just 1 in 80.

We have to be professional and know the percentages of every option.

Last edited:
Which Celtic players are one footed yet still call themselves a professional.? Which players can consistently land a corner kick within a desired cubic metre? (to a Charlie Mulgrew?) Who can Panenka a freekick over a standing wall to arrive at onrushing players. I was lucky enough to see Joyhan Cruyff turn a defender inside out more than 40 years ago. I practised it then in the park for hours and hours. How often is it used today? It works but it has to be mastered. Innovate. Same old only gets same old.

Back