Rennes v Celtic - Europa League, Thursday 19 September. kick-off 17.55

Theverdict1

This is going to be a tough test. Make no mistake about that. Having been a travelling foot soldier on over a dozen euro trips that had a return ofnot one away win. A couple of draws and the rest defeats, that included losing but knocking out Stuttgart on aggregate, means I take away games with a handful of Valium.

One thing I am happier about is that at last we have better defensive options and if the lads can out in as good a defensive showing as we did against Soft Loan Central, we should be better placed to get something.

We need to remember though that Reinnes are much better than that shower of overhyped shite.

I would be delighted with a draw, but, think this might be too much to expect if they are as good as they say. A game without us shooting ourselves in the head by gifting a couple of goals would be a step forward.

Do that and our mid to front perform and we have a chance. It all depends on our mentality going in and standing up.

I’m looking forward to it as this will be a test of how much we have improved as a unit . Saturday was agame on that shit pitch that didn’t lend itself to how we play. Go in with no fear, keep it tight at the back and hope our mid to front show they can have a go at anybody.

If they think that Saturday is the best we can play they will be vulnerable to us kicking their balls.

I’m hoping for a win but would rip your arm out if it’s socket for a draw with a good performance. It will however come down to us winning games at home, which needs to be achieved to give us any shout of progressing even if they are too much away.

My heart says a draw, but our away form for many years has been dire. Thursday would be a great day to change that. Just put up a good show and let all who want us to fall be utterly fucked off.

CELTIC are in the capital of Brittany on Thursday for the early evening kick-off against French Cup winners Stade Rennais. The two sides met in a pre-season match at Celtic Park in mid-July and that finished goalless. This game will have a very different feel to it though.

Ideally Neil Lennon will have all three French Bhoys in the team as they will all be desperate to impress back on home soil and although Rennes are a decent side, the French Celts will hardly be intimidated at the thought of facing them.

Celtic haven't lost away from home in Europe this season and if Neil Lennon can keep that record intact then it will be a great start to the Group especially with Cluj coming up next at Paradise.

There are goals in both these sides and just like the last time we played Rennes in this competition on their own ground, I'd expect it to finish honours even, perhaps 2-2.

As for the team, how about this?

Forster

Elhamed, Jullien, Ajer, Bolingoli

Brown, McGregor, Ntcham

Forrest, Edouard, Christie

All comments before, during an after the game here please....

Think most will know this but, the only reason Great Britain is called Great Britain was to distinguish it from the original Britain or Brittany in Northern France. Great just meaning large and nothing to do with it being, well, Great.

Don’t think that’s right. Britanica was named by the Romans but the term Great Britain was first used in 1603.

The term Great Britain was first used during the reign of King James I of England (James VI of Scotland) in 1603, to refer to the separate kingdoms of England and Scotland. on the same landmass, that were ruled over by the same monarch. Despite having the same monarch, both kingdoms kept their own parliaments.
United Kingdom (The uniting of kingdoms)
The 'United Kingdom of Great Britain' was formed in 1707 by the Act of Union that created a single kingdom with a single Parliament. (Scotland has always retained its own legal system)
A hundred years later the Act of Union of 1801 joined Ireland to 'Great Britain' and the name "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland" was first used. (Since 1921 only Northern Ireland has been part of the United Kingdom and so the name changed).

The past does not predict the future and even though Celtic's away form in Europe has been appallingly disappointing over the last couple of decades I have a sense that something special will happen. I'm predicting that our defence will be resolute and that we will attack and retain possession and score two unanswered goals. I sense that this team want to turn heads and surprise people.

Rennes will know Celtic have been building a strong team,the defence has become solid,our midfield with wee McGregor Curpus Christy led by Broony has performed well this season the forwards with Eddy leading the line Rennes will know they are in for a game,when Celtic have played inn Europe in recent years its with a defence attitude to bring back a decent result a draw being the best outlook,this season I hope the team goes on the attack and force thier opponent to defence,it does not matter who we play they should fear us and not the other way round,roll on Thursday. HH

The past does not predict the future and even though Celtic's away form in Europe has been appallingly disappointing over the last couple of decades I have a sense that something special will happen. I'm predicting that our defence will be resolute and that we will attack and retain possession and score two unanswered goals. I sense that this team want to turn heads and surprise people.

I agree totally that the past doesn’t predict the future. That’s why I have a quite good feeling about this game.

Don’t think that’s right. Britanica was named by the Romans but the term Great Britain was first used in 1603.

The term Great Britain was first used during the reign of King James I of England (James VI of Scotland) in 1603, to refer to the separate kingdoms of England and Scotland. on the same landmass, that were ruled over by the same monarch. Despite having the same monarch, both kingdoms kept their own parliaments.
United Kingdom (The uniting of kingdoms)
The 'United Kingdom of Great Britain' was formed in 1707 by the Act of Union that created a single kingdom with a single Parliament. (Scotland has always retained its own legal system)
A hundred years later the Act of Union of 1801 joined Ireland to 'Great Britain' and the name "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland" was first used. (Since 1921 only Northern Ireland has been part of the United Kingdom and so the name changed).

Great Britain (sometimes just referred to as ‘Britain’)
Great Britain is not a country; it’s a landmass. It is known as ‘Great’ because it is the largest island in the British Isles, and houses the countries of England, Scotland and Wales within its shores.

The name Britain derives from the Roman word Britannia, but there are two conflicting arguments about why the ‘Great’ was stuck on the front of it. The first is that it is used to distinguish Britain from its similar sounding, but much smaller French neighbour, Brittany. The second reason is due to the ego of a certain King James I, who wanted to make it abundantly clear that he wasn’t just the king of the old Roman Britain (which only included England and some of Wales), but of the entire island; thus he referred to himself as King of Great Britain.

Which ever it is, its still nothing to do with being "Great".

Great Britain (sometimes just referred to as ‘Britain’)
Great Britain is not a country; it’s a landmass. It is known as ‘Great’ because it is the largest island in the British Isles, and houses the countries of England, Scotland and Wales within its shores.

The name Britain derives from the Roman word Britannia, but there are two conflicting arguments about why the ‘Great’ was stuck on the front of it. The first is that it is used to distinguish Britain from its similar sounding, but much smaller French neighbour, Brittany. The second reason is due to the ego of a certain King James I, who wanted to make it abundantly clear that he wasn’t just the king of the old Roman Britain (which only included England and some of Wales), but of the entire island; thus he referred to himself as King of Great Britain.

Which ever it is, its still nothing to do with being "Great".

I read a piece about the Britany connection but the main reason is thought to be the land mass and the uniting of the kingdoms. One thing is clear, it had nothing to do with being Great.

Back