Rennes v Celtic - Europa League, Thursday 19 September. kick-off 17.55

Mibbies oot walking thur cat and dug MD
Wunner if thur haudin hauns 😱
Looking into each other’s πŸ‘€ hinking were missin summit. Just sayin

HH πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
This is only gonna get worse 😾

The truth is I came home from work, forgot the kick off time and fell asleep and Kelly got carried away causing traffic jams and forgot the game was on! We both missed 70 minutes but for completely different SEPARATE reasons! 😹😹

Despite all of it. We went to the French Cup winners and matched them all the way. It may be green tinted specs but we edged that if you ask me. Our defence was solid bar a brain fart from a young guy who always learns his lessons we were superb in defence (yes superb in defence in Europe. In a real game against a real quality side and away from home). If anything we were just a bit shy connecting with each other up front and that doesn't worry me because that's our strength. Defence in Europe hasn't been. Pragmatic, disciplined and counter attacking approach. Easy to say but under BR would we have done that tonight? Possibly but unlikely.

Aye, thought we gave a good account of ourselfs, sets up for next game. Just ashame the ref was a DOBBER
☘️COYBIG☘️

I love Ajer. I think he is a really exciting young player. However, since we increased the quality at the back with Hatem Abd Elhamed, Bolingoli and Julien - he is now looking like an exciting young player with a bit still to learn. The penalty tonight was needless but otherwise didn't we play well.

I thought the whole team played great but maybe I was looking for something a bit special from Ntcham when he came on but it didn't really transpire. The French lads were possibly trying too hard to impress. Rennes are sitting second in the French League and never looked like beating us. Well done to the bhoys and Johnny Hayes tackle and Ryan Christie's tackle for the booking were pure gold. HH

Top performance from the bhoys tonight and a cracking result against a good outfit in their own midden. Play to those levels in the return fixture and I think we'll turn this mob over as they got every decision going from that shambolic attention seeker of a ref. He wanted to give it the 'big I am' and be seen to be the man in control which is ironic as he completely lost the plot and his every decision (our penalty aside) seemed to based purely on the reaction from the home support. Pathetic weak refereeing. The Bayo red was ridiculous and should be appealed as soon as humanly possible.

Only thing I would say about the performance is that some of our decision making has to be better at times. Ajer gifted them the lead with a stupid unnecessary and clumsy lunge when he could have just ushered the Rennes player out to the byline. Forrest, Christie and Calmac were guilty of trying to be far too clever far too often in both the central midfield and in and around the Rennes box.

Instead of just playing the simpler pass which would have carved them open just the same they tried to be smart either with some daft unnecessary flick, trying to dummy the ball without checking if there was anyone there behind them to run on to it or trying to dribble through a mass of bodies which led to quite a few wasted opportunities that could have won us the game.

I don't want to be too harsh because I thought we played brilliant tonight. It was a mature and measured performance, especially from Julien, Elhamed Eddy and Elyounoussi who had great games, but at this level we have to be more clinical with the chances we get. It's not the SPFL where you're always likely to get another opportunity, not many chances come your way at this level so to spurn those we do get by over-complicating things or trying to be too clever is going to eventually come back and bite us on the arse. Lenny needs to have a word on this, if we can cut this out then we'll be winning these games instead of having to settle for a draw because we played well enough to win that tonight.

All in all a great result and overall performance so well done to Lenny and the bhoys (y)
Agree with this.
Ref was a car crash. An old school homer and what we need to get back to at Parkhead. How many times did you hear an old boy beside you shout 'Intimidate the ref'. They did that tonight.
No more disco lights. No more YNWA selfies. I want Savioala throwing up on the tunnel. Saha bricking a penalty against Boruc.
Tonight we got the point away from home we needed. 3 home wins and we are through. That should be our focus.
Slack passing away from home I can handle for now as long as those passes are forward. The confidence will breed results. What we did tonight was maintain momemtum. AndyBhoy I feel it in my bones. There is something brewing here. Rennes are a damned fine side. Think we might be too.

Sadly Andy, as it was a second yellow then we can't appeal it.

But surely if the ref thought it was a late dangerous kick to the head then he should have given a straight red, which ironically we could then have appealed!

That's right BB your spot on, just seen the red get flashed after the keeper incident (quite a while after) and forgot he'd already picked up a yellow not long before.

HH (y)

Agree with this.
Ref was a car crash. An old school homer and what we need to get back to at Parkhead. How many times did you hear an old boy beside you shout 'Intimidate the ref'. They did that tonight.
No more disco lights. No more YNWA selfies. I want Savioala throwing up on the tunnel. Saha bricking a penalty against Boruc.
Tonight we got the point away from home we needed. 3 home wins and we are through. That should be our focus.
Slack passing away from home I can handle for now as long as those passes are forward. The confidence will breed results. What we did tonight was maintain momemtum. AndyBhoy I feel it in my bones. There is something brewing here. Rennes are a damned fine side. Think we might be too.

They're a really good side but we were more than a match for them tonight mate, it was a superb away performance. The only reason I even highlighted the unnecessary flicks and dummies was down to the fact that if we'd played the simpler pass in and around the box we would have won that tonight and beaten a top side in their own backyard.

We look a different animal in Europe this season and for me that's down to the experience we've added to the team. Having more streetwise players, especially at the back, has given the team the know how and ability to soak up periods of pressure that we would have buckled under in the past, they've added a calming influence and that extra bit of dig to what was already a talented squad and we're reaping the rewards of that.

I did say last night I thought we were capable of getting out of this group and I'm even more convinced of that after tonight's performance. If we can be that bit more clinical when the chances come our way then the latter stages are well within our reach.

HH Niall (y)

They're a really good side but we were more than a match for them tonight mate, it was a superb away performance. The only reason I even highlighted the unnecessary flicks and dummies was down to the fact that if we'd played the simpler pass in and around the box we would have won that tonight and beaten a top side in their own backyard.

We look a different animal in Europe this season and for me that's down to the experience we've added to the team. Having more streetwise players, especially at the back, has given the team the know how and ability to soak up periods of pressure that we would have buckled under in the past, they've added a calming influence and that extra bit of dig to what was already a talented squad and we're reaping the rewards of that.

I did say last night I thought we were capable of getting out of this group and I'm even more convinced of that after tonight's performance. If we can be that bit more clinical when the chances come our way then the latter stages are well within our reach.

HH Niall (y)
You got me feeling confident pal! HAIL HAIL

Johnny Hayes was a tank tonight; great in the tackle and shite on the ball but his days as left back replacement are numbered as Greg Taylor will be fit again soon. Johnny would run through walls for the cause but sadly his talent doesn't match his commitment.

Johnny Hayes was a tank tonight; great in the tackle and shite on the ball but his days as left back replacement are numbered as Greg Taylor will be fit again soon. Johnny would run through walls for the cause but sadly his talent doesn't match his commitment.
bit harsh your holiness,great run near the end of the game, to take pressure off the defence,defensively more sound than Bolingoli at the moment,would like tae see young Taylor gettin a run oot, HH

bit harsh your holiness,great run near the end of the game, to take pressure off the defence,defensively more sound than Bolingoli at the moment,would like tae see young Taylor gettin a run oot, HH
I can't fault Johnny for motivation he just frustrates the hell out me with his end product a lot of the time and I felt he lost the ball too easily going forward.

Members online

Latest posts

Back