Results in the Knockout stages in Europe, are we good enough?

CarlisleReiver

I'm gutted with the result tonight bhoys and girls but I'm not surprised.

I have all faith in NL and the squad however the result is not a surprise, here is our knock out results against top teams:

Copenhagen 1 - 1 then Celtic 1 - 3 Copenhagen (2-4 agg)
CFR Cluj 1 - 1 Celtic then Celtic 3 - 4 CFR Cluj (4-5 agg)
Celtic 0 - 2 Valencia then Valencia 1 - 0 Celtic (0-3 agg)
Celtic 1 - 0 Zenit then Zenit 3 - 0 Celtic (1-3 agg)

Goal for 7 Goals against 15

Goals for at home: 5
Goal for away: 2

Goals against at home: 9
Goals against away: 6

These aren't even the best teams in Europe (if it was a group stage it would be 5 points)! I think I get carried away, beating everyone in Scotland but really to a man, we don't have what it takes to beat the best in Europe.

They certainly know how to play us, collectively we fail as a team as our individuals aren't good enough collectively. I hear a lot of fans throwing some of our players under the bus tonight, this doesn't help either. When you play a system that is so strong domestically how can you expect for it to work when you have to change it in Europe.

No one in Europe is scared of playing us anymore and haven't done so for a long long time. However, this doesn't mean that we give up and don't want to compete, I'm just not sure how we get there, with the players we have (lets not go we need to replace him, and him and this shows that it doesn't work either)?

To start, goals against at home is a worry, are we too open, too gunho?

If one player fails to show up it looks like the rest follow suit like tonight and in other games. We still haven't played with enough intensity for 90 mins and in the 45 that we do play well we have squandered the upper hand and haven't put the game beyond the opposition. This kind of inconsistency gets severely punished at European level. More work needed.

Neither Cluj nor Copenhagen are 'top teams'. Something is rotten and wrong as fuck in the state of Denmark.

I did say that "These aren't even the best teams in Europe"

But lets not get carried away HERE with ourselves.....we complain that we'e not allowed into the group stages of the Champions League however we can't beat the Champions of Romania - Cluj or the Champions of Denmark - Copenhagen.

I did say that "These aren't even the best teams in Europe"

But lets not get carried away HERE with ourselves.....we complain that we'e not allowed into the group stages of the Champions League however we can't beat the Champions of Romania - Cluj or the Champions of Denmark - Copenhagen.
Nobody is 'allowed' into the CL group stages; you have to qualify and in order to qualify from Scotland you need to win the league first and no I still haven't seen them coming.

Could be that we have found our level
We needed a big, no nonsense centre half, to clear the ball out, which we don't have
Mistakes are compounded, as the tension among the crowd grows and that of course transfers back to the players on the field, who are tense to begin with
We missed Christie tonight and with Ncham also being injured, it made it that bit harder
Oh well, we deal and move on to the league title
No slacking off now
I bet Christie is back and on fire these last few games
COYBIG
HH

Short answer no we aren't good enough yet.

Agreed. Even thinking about CL is madness even through the strongest love for Celtic, last nights performance was woeful 🙈🙈🙈 n still too fresh in the memory.

One thing i love about our support is the willingness to question on behalf of progression.

Could never be a zombie swallowing deludamol n only ever being champs of europe in their nappers.

No deludamol here but one very fine european cup..... i do like reality 😬

Members online

Latest posts

Back