Riga FC v Celtic - Europa League, Thursday 24 Sept - all comments here (kick-off 6pm Celtic Park Time)

Am sure Taylor will get his usual slagging and maybe deserved but the boy has always played in a back four and when yer a Celtic full back your expected tae drive forward unfortunately driving forward isnay wee Taylor’s forte maybe we should let the boy do his job .... defend my god we need some cunt who can do that
Exactly. If we wanted a wing back then we should have bought that. He is used to a flat back 4 and was good in that role. We are not making the most of far too many players.

Awe the best for tomorrow Lubo...

We are through. Nervy game with it being a one off, I wanted Mo on about 40 mins before he arrived, I had a feeling he might be the bhoy to unlock their resilience. Most of the rest of them huffed and puffed but seemed scared of losing possession.

Frimps motm, thought Nir was good Ajer also and Barkas never put a foot wrong 😂.

Bring on the high bees. 😂

Exactly. If we wanted a wing back then we should have bought that. He is used to a flat back 4 and was good in that role. We are not making the most of far too many players.
Don’t think it’s fair oan the boy he takes the Derry most weeks I’m sure he’d thrive in a back four doing a bit a defending unfortunately we expect our full backs tae drive forward and just now cause we’re midfield are shite

Don’t think it’s fair oan the boy he takes the Derry most weeks I’m sure he’d thrive in a back four doing a bit a defending unfortunately we expect our full backs tae drive forward and just now cause we’re midfield are shite
I know he is too short but he might be better as the left centre back in a 3-5-2 rather than Ajer??? It is more natural for him than it is for Ajer. Nah - it is probably a very stupid idea!

I know he is too short but he might be better as the left centre back in a 3-5-2 rather than Ajer??? It is more natural for him than it is for Ajer. Nah - it is probably a very stupid idea!
Think the Bhoys an defender going past players looks a bit foreign tae him gets pelters and you really canny argue most times but the boy tries doesn’t hide and is playing in a position if he played at killie he wouldn’t be at celtic

There's nothing worse than being dominant in the game without having the guile to overcome defensive sides.

In case anybody missed it I'm no a fan of the 3-5-2 system :LOL: (for a variety of reasons) but one of those reasons is that it just seems to encourage opposition teams to park the bus against us.

With us committing so many players to the attack it suits the opposition to sit back, surrender the majority of possession, soak up whatever pressure we put on them (which is shockingly little for a team with our individual talent) and settle for hitting us on the break whenever they can.

Things become so congested in the final third that there is very little space to play in and no real way through so many bodies which is why we end up with this constant side to side passing that, as we've seen so many times this season, more often than not goes nowhere.

We have an abundance of talent throughout our squad but we're just not using it properly with this system.

Right Tin hat oan so, feel a little sacrilegious in criticising the hoops for winning away in Europe BUT that was 🤬 awful watching that performance. I am well aware of the importance of this Sunday's game and we need our best team on their game against hibs. We never got out of third gear , didn't look like we could be bothered, let's be honest here Riga would do well to survive in our championship. The game was crying out for elyounnoussi and we looked so ordinary , never in any trouble bar one cllearance/intervention of a cross they made into our box but where is the desire? The fire in the belly? We won were through so criticism has to be limited but we just didn't look interested at all. So very close to extra time with that game to play sunday is what had me panicking slightly ( ok not panicking but not happy) I'm not accustomed to watching a disinterested Celtic side in Europe and that could've easily have gone wrong. Thankfully it didnt and we are through though weve lost forrest , don't know how bad it is, frimpong was great and if the others were to take a leaf out of his book we'll be more than fine. We simply cannot play like this on Sunday. I've backed lenny to the hilt over and over and I still shall continue to do so of course I just wish we could get to see our best team on the park at the same time, we dodged a bullet tonight by missing out on extra time I hope it wakes everyone up cos it was sending me to sleep HH

Last edited:
In case anybody missed it I'm no a fan of the 3-5-2 system :LOL: (for a variety of reasons) but one of those reasons is that it just seems to encourage opposition teams to park the bus against us.

With us committing so many players to the attack it suits the opposition to sit back, surrender the majority of possession, soak up whatever pressure we put on them (which is shockingly little for a team with our individual talent) and settle for hitting us on the break whenever they can.

Things become so congested in the final third that there is very little space to play in and no real way through so many bodies which is why we end up with this constant side to side passing that, as we've seen so many times this season, more often than not goes nowhere.

We have an abundance of talent throughout our squad but we're just not using it properly with this system.

My thoughts exactly 👆👆👆

Well that was highly infuriating. Game's finished ages ago, and I'm still in a fecking stinking, foul mood.

Really, really poor.

Relief for about 10 seconds after the goal, then straight back to being fuming.

There's a few individuals who need to seriously do some soul searching.
The way we're playing is diabolical;
flat, slow and unimaginative.

If these players really need fans to make them up the tempo and play to their potential, then we'll be in real trouble.

Thank Christ for that goal, another 30 minutes of that shite doesnae bare thinking about.

This is the first time since fitbaw re-started that I actually feel worried for this group of players under the current Covid climate.

Tonight the overall performance was once again poor the team don't seem to play as a unit when we have to defend thinly have to look at their last attack where we had 4 or 5 layers scrambling across the box chasing the ball as it's played to a guy who hasn't been picked up by a midfielder the set up is poor we need a coach who can organise the team. Teams hit us on the break to good effect at times tonight we had a break on and ended up having to play the ball nackward. The manager can come out and say we played well and controlled the game that might n e true if that's what his game plan was but it really is not good enough the subs that came on looked as if they wanted to win the game Frimpong being the standout tonight and Bitton did well after that you are struggling to pick anyone else

good enough defender

crap going forward
I've got to be up the hospital early door MD so shall be joining you on the early shift at some point tomorrow morning 😁😁😆
good luck the morra

Latest posts

Back