Riga FC v Celtic - Europa League, Thursday 24 Sept - all comments here (kick-off 6pm Celtic Park Time)

Obviously you do not understand what the word TRY means. I enclose a portion of a textbook that I have written on the way to cure anxiety.

You may have spent a very long time in the past trying to slow your breathing; trying to be positive; trying to calm down and trying to relax.

You will always fail to relax if you have such thoughts. The reason for this common failure is a simple language linguistic trap. Essentially the word TRY does not mean what you have always thought it means even throughout all your life you have probably tried your best.

What exactly does the word TRY mean?

TRY is a very common word in the English language. You may have always thought of TRY as a very positive word. All your life you have been told to try. You have been told to try hard, to keep trying – to try and try again until you succeed.

All though our early years I feel sure that you were told to TRY your best. TRY to do well and TRY to get good results. TRY to get a good job. TRY to find a partner. TRY to have a family. TRY to have a happy life. You may have been told that if you do not TRY then you will not and cannot possibly succeed. That if you do not TRY then you will fail.

It will probably come as a surprise to learn that the subconscious mind always recognises the word TRY as being a negative word. To the subconscious mind, ‘TRY’ means ‘fail’ or at least the possibility of failing.

I would go as far as to state that the three letter word TRY is the single greatest sabotaging word in the entire English language. Nor is it confined to the English language: ‘TRY’ has an equivalent word in every other language on the planet.

Well how and when did you subconsciously learn this? When you were just two years of age you were a bit like a language sponge. You were listening to the people speaking around you and you were learning approximately 10 new words each day. So in the space of just one calendar year you therefore learned more than 3500 new words.

This was a time of your life of very rapid language acquisition. as long as you were regularly exposed to hearing language. Any parent of a three-year-old knows that that child can talk for several hours if given a chance. They already have an extensive vocabulary.

You can have a far better and longer conversation with a child of this age than you possibly can with a two-year-old.

Let us imagine for a moment that you are a two-year-old whose name is Mary. You are in the kitchen and your mummy drops a plate.

Mummy then exclaims,

‘Oh, Mary, I dropped the good plate and it smashed.”

The first thing that you hear is the word MARY. You know that this is your name. Everyone calls you Mary. No one else in your family is called Mary. Not your sisters and certainly not your brother. You are the only person called Mary who is in the room.

‘The good plate’ simply uses three very common and everyday words that you already know as a big girl of two, having heard these three common words hundreds of times before.

Next you notice she uses the word DROPPED, a completely new word for you. You might never have heard it before.

You have certainly heard your mother say the word FELL, and you can clearly see that DROPPED and FELL look to be exactly the same thing. The word DROPPED must therefore be just a fancy word for FELL. These words are synonyms – words that mean the same thing. You might even learn the word ‘synonym’ perhaps 10 or 15 years later.

From that moment on you can now choose to say that your doll fell or that your doll dropped. In your mind the two words become ‘the same as’ or interchangeable. You have now added a new word to your vocabulary.

The next words ‘and it’ are just two simple joining words. You already know these common words.

But the next word SMASHED is a brand new word for you. You have never heard it before. This is hardly surprising because we do not give two-year-olds smashable toys or smashable objects.

The word SMASHED is spectacular. It is associated with a loud noise and many shards of plate flying all across the floor. SMASHED also happens to be an onomatopoeic word: This means that it is one of those special words that sound like what they do. Young children really love the sound of many onomatopoeic words and will often seek to memorise the word by taking in a long in-drawing of breath then repeating the word …...five times. Like this.

(I then take a really deep and long breath in and then point at the ground and say in a childish voice “Smashed, smashed, look Mummy smashed, bad smashed, oh smashed.)

A week later your Mummy drops another plate. This time she says ‘Oh, Mary, I dropped the good plate. I tried to catch it but it smashed.’

Interestingly she says this new clause, 'I tried to catch it', in a slightly different tone of voice from the other words in the sentence. She says this clause with a slight rising inflection in her voice.

I then demonstrate the rising inflection. ‘Oh, Mary, I dropped the good plate, I TRIED TO CATCH IT, but it smashed.

The same rising lilt is in her voice occurs when she tells you about something good: I’ll take you to the circus; I’ll buy you an ice cream; let’s go for a picnic; you can have a lolly…..

We use a rising inflection for good things and a lowering inflection of voice for bad things quite automatically.

(I then say in a lowered inflection, you need to go to the dentist, ….....and get a little injection, ………and eat all your broccoli.)

Your mother by using a rising inflection is instinctively telling you that in her mind she did a good thing. She made a valiant effort to catch the plate. She did not simply just let it fall, but did her very best to catch it and to stop it smashing. She is implicitly explaining that she should therefore not be criticised. She is justifying the broken plate and appealing to your sense of fairness quite automatically so as not to be blamed for the broken plate.

Your ears and conscious mind instantly hears the rising inflection and thus ‘good’ sound of the words “I tried to catch it’. Apparently ‘tried’ is therefore another example of a good thing.

But your eyes instantly see the picture of the failure to catch and the resulting smashed plate. The picture you then subconsciously associated with hearing ‘tried’ is one of failure to catch, and thus a picture of a smashed plate with spectacular sounds and shards of china all over the floor. Tried become linked to the image of failure.

This is reinforced one week later when she drops yet another plate but this time she reaches out and catches it and it does not smash.

She then exclaims

“Oh, Mary, I dropped the good plate but I caught it.”

When we are successful we never say that we tried. We go straight to the verb and we say that we did.

We use the words TRY, TRYING or TRIED, depending on past, present or future tense, for times of failure or the possibility of failure.

Before you reach the age of five you will have heard your parents say TRY, TRYING or TRIED more than 1,000 times always meaning failure. When there was success you never heard them use these words.

By the time you leave primary school you will probably be exposed to the word TRY more than 10,000 times. TRY will always have the connotation of failure within your subconscious.

(I now involve the patient)

Tell me, what does this mean? “The woman went to the shop and tried to buy some bread.”

(They usually answer - She was unable to buy it or failed.)

And what does this mean? “The woman went to the shop and bought some bread.”

(They usually smile and say – She was successful!)

What does this mean?

“The player tried to score the goal.”

(He did not.)

“The player scored the goal.”

(He did.)

(This involvement of the patient lets them personally confirm how negative the word TRY is.)

I then point out that TRY also has a lot of linguistic cousins that essentially all mean the same thing.

Similar words are ATTEMPT, STRIVE, ENDEAVOUR, GIVE IT A GO, and DO YOUR BEST all essentially mean the same thing - fail.
Fek sake i only have one life. Any chance of a summary?

Play that midfield and they play triangles around us all day long.

Play that back line as deep as we do, then we just invite Morelos and Kent to play right on top of them.

Lenny hasn't got enough of the boys the necessary game time to start that match. Broonie hasn't got the legs, Corpus and Olly are too lightweight, and Turnbull, Soro and Rogic have barely kicked a ball.

It's a cause for concern.
He played a similar formation against PSG in pre-season and cos it was the French champions we called it 5-4-1. It's the same thing and it worked. Aye we lost, course we did but we did stifle and still created chances.
It gambles on us taking more half chances than them, that's why i'd rather at home we played eddy off ajeti. Not sure Lenny will risk a slower press from the front though. More likely he'll stick with Chistie's duracell bunny approach

Obviously you do not understand what the word TRY means. I enclose a portion of a textbook that I have written on the way to cure anxiety.

You may have spent a very long time in the past trying to slow your breathing; trying to be positive; trying to calm down and trying to relax.

You will always fail to relax if you have such thoughts. The reason for this common failure is a simple language linguistic trap. Essentially the word TRY does not mean what you have always thought it means even throughout all your life you have probably tried your best.

TRY is a very common word in the English language. You may have always thought of TRY as a very positive word. All your life you have been told to try. You have been told to try hard, to keep trying – to try and try again until you succeed.

All though our early years I feel sure that you were told to TRY your best. TRY to do well and TRY to get good results. TRY to get a good job. TRY to find a partner. TRY to have a family. TRY to have a happy life. You may have been told that if you do not TRY then you will not and cannot possibly succeed. That if you do not TRY then you will fail.

It will probably come as a surprise to learn that the subconscious mind always recognises the word TRY as being a negative word. To the subconscious mind, ‘TRY’ means ‘fail’ or at least the possibility of failing.

I would go as far as to state that the three letter word TRY is the single greatest sabotaging word in the entire English language. Nor is it confined to the English language: ‘TRY’ has an equivalent word in every other language on the planet.

Well how and when did you subconsciously learn this? When you were just two years of age you were a bit like a language sponge. You were listening to the people speaking around you and you were learning approximately 10 new words each day. So in the space of just one calendar year you therefore learned more than 3500 new words.

This was a time of your life of very rapid language acquisition. as long as you were regularly exposed to hearing language. Any parent of a three-year-old knows that that child can talk for several hours if given a chance. They already have an extensive vocabulary.

You can have a far better and longer conversation with a child of this age than you possibly can with a two-year-old.

Let us imagine for a moment that you are a two-year-old whose name is Mary. You are in the kitchen and your mummy drops a plate.

Mummy then exclaims,

The first thing that you hear is the word MARY. You know that this is your name. Everyone calls you Mary. No one else in your family is called Mary. Not your sisters and certainly not your brother. You are the only person called Mary who is in the room.

‘The good plate’ simply uses three very common and everyday words that you already know as a big girl of two, having heard these three common words hundreds of times before.

Next you notice she uses the word DROPPED, a completely new word for you. You might never have heard it before.

You have certainly heard your mother say the word FELL, and you can clearly see that DROPPED and FELL look to be exactly the same thing. The word DROPPED must therefore be just a fancy word for FELL. These words are synonyms – words that mean the same thing. You might even learn the word ‘synonym’ perhaps 10 or 15 years later.

From that moment on you can now choose to say that your doll fell or that your doll dropped. In your mind the two words become ‘the same as’ or interchangeable. You have now added a new word to your vocabulary.

The next words ‘and it’ are just two simple joining words. You already know these common words.

But the next word SMASHED is a brand new word for you. You have never heard it before. This is hardly surprising because we do not give two-year-olds smashable toys or smashable objects.

The word SMASHED is spectacular. It is associated with a loud noise and many shards of plate flying all across the floor. SMASHED also happens to be an onomatopoeic word: This means that it is one of those special words that sound like what they do. Young children really love the sound of many onomatopoeic words and will often seek to memorise the word by taking in a long in-drawing of breath then repeating the word …...five times. Like this.

(I then take a really deep and long breath in and then point at the ground and say in a childish voice “Smashed, smashed, look Mummy smashed, bad smashed, oh smashed.)

A week later your Mummy drops another plate. This time she says ‘Oh, Mary, I dropped the good plate. I tried to catch it but it smashed.’

Interestingly she says this new clause, 'I tried to catch it', in a slightly different tone of voice from the other words in the sentence. She says this clause with a slight rising inflection in her voice.

I then demonstrate the rising inflection. ‘Oh, Mary, I dropped the good plate, I TRIED TO CATCH IT, but it smashed.

The same rising lilt is in her voice occurs when she tells you about something good: I’ll take you to the circus; I’ll buy you an ice cream; let’s go for a picnic; you can have a lolly…..

We use a rising inflection for good things and a lowering inflection of voice for bad things quite automatically.

(I then say in a lowered inflection, you need to go to the dentist, ….....and get a little injection, ………and eat all your broccoli.)

Your mother by using a rising inflection is instinctively telling you that in her mind she did a good thing. She made a valiant effort to catch the plate. She did not simply just let it fall, but did her very best to catch it and to stop it smashing. She is implicitly explaining that she should therefore not be criticised. She is justifying the broken plate and appealing to your sense of fairness quite automatically so as not to be blamed for the broken plate.

Your ears and conscious mind instantly hears the rising inflection and thus ‘good’ sound of the words “I tried to catch it’. Apparently ‘tried’ is therefore another example of a good thing.

But your eyes instantly see the picture of the failure to catch and the resulting smashed plate. The picture you then subconsciously associated with hearing ‘tried’ is one of failure to catch, and thus a picture of a smashed plate with spectacular sounds and shards of china all over the floor. Tried become linked to the image of failure.

This is reinforced one week later when she drops yet another plate but this time she reaches out and catches it and it does not smash.

She then exclaims

When we are successful we never say that we tried. We go straight to the verb and we say that we did.

We use the words TRY, TRYING or TRIED, depending on past, present or future tense, for times of failure or the possibility of failure.

Before you reach the age of five you will have heard your parents say TRY, TRYING or TRIED more than 1,000 times always meaning failure. When there was success you never heard them use these words.

By the time you leave primary school you will probably be exposed to the word TRY more than 10,000 times. TRY will always have the connotation of failure within your subconscious.

Tell me, what does this mean? “The woman went to the shop and tried to buy some bread.”

What does this mean?

(He did not.)

(He did.)

(This involvement of the patient lets them personally confirm how negative the word TRY is.)

I then point out that TRY also has a lot of linguistic cousins that essentially all mean the same thing.

Similar words are ATTEMPT, STRIVE, ENDEAVOUR, GIVE IT A GO, and DO YOUR BEST all essentially mean the same thing - fail.
Jeez Doc..........for a psychotherapist, you don't half exhibit some narcissistic tendencies.

Who else could possibly be suffering from the smartest man in the room syndrome?

Last edited:
He played a similar formation against PSG in pre-season and cos it was the French champions we called it 5-4-1. It's the same thing and it worked. Aye we lost, course we did but we did stifle and still created chances.
It gambles on us taking more half chances than them, that's why i'd rather at home we played eddy off ajeti. Not sure Lenny will risk a slower press from the front though. More likely he'll stick with Chistie's duracell bunny approach
Tbh it was dull and uninspiring. Not saying Broonie had a bad game but he sometimes needs a rocket up his ass. We should have played 2 up front and put it to bed early. Whereas Eddie tried to beat the whole defence on his own Ajetti would have taken a shot. Eddie is great but not at the races tonight.

Tbh it was dull and uninspiring. Not saying Broonie had a bad game but he sometimes needs a rocket up his ass. We should have played 2 up front and put it to bed early. Whereas Eddie tried to beat the whole defence on his own Ajetti would have taken a shot. Eddie is great but not at the races tonight.
Eddy always wants to face the play, Stevie. If he turned and went into these wee spaces in behind then McGregor would find that pass at least three times out of five.

Not exactly the Celtic way Stevie. Fine for teams we want to fustrate, tonight we should have been getting to the byline and cutting it back for two strikers, but Lenny has done what most managers do under pressure, revert to ensuring we don't offer the opposition chances and therefore we don't lose. He's also practicing for a big game coming up

Eddy always wants to face the play, Stevie. If he turned and went into these wee spaces in behind then McGregor would find that pass at least three times out of five.
I could tell after 10 mins Eddy wasn't up for it yet although i accept he's capable of a moment of magic too many attacks are failing because he doesn't give the obvious pass and for me that's opportunities wasted no matter how many he scores. Yes his past assists have been impressive but not so this season.

Not exactly the Celtic way Stevie. Fine for teams we want to fustrate, tonight we should have been getting to the byline and cutting it back for two strikers, but Lenny has done what most managers do under pressure, revert to ensuring we don't offer the opposition chances and therefore we don't lose. He's also practicing for a big game coming up
So by practicing for big games coming up he jeopardized getting positive results against footballing giants such as Riga, Livi, St Mirren, Dundee Utd and Killie! 🤯

I could tell after 10 mins Eddy wasn't up for it yet although i accept he's capable of a moment of magic too many attacks are failing because he doesn't give the obvious pass and for me that's opportunities wasted no matter how many he scores. Yes his past assists have been impressive but not so this season.
Definitely something ailing the laddie, Stevie.

Mummy then exclaims,

She then exclaims

What does this mean?

(He did not.)

(He did.)

Bit like this post 🙈🙈

😏 i fekn hope so cos he's hardly inspired us so far this season.

Members online

Latest posts

Back