Riga FC v Celtic - Europa League, Thursday 24 Sept - all comments here (kick-off 6pm Celtic Park Time)

Naw I agree they've sussed the 4-2-3-1, that was evident in the last few games we played them but the system we're playing now with the personnel we have brings it's own set of problems and could very well be a gift to them.

If what you're saying is true then that worries me because we shouldn't just be looking to stifle them and settling for not losing to them we should be looking for ways to beat them surely? We're only 7 games in and already there have been games where we've just managed to scrape a couple of wins out of what could easily have been draws. Is that sustainable?

Surely our luck will run out at some point and that could prove costly if we're relying on the premise of winning more against the rest than them, not to mention the fact that it's a shite state of affairs if this is how Lenny is now looking at things.
Don't disagree Andy. It's , dull, uninspiring football at the moment. If we chose a formation, chose the strongest team and just played them the football would probably improve but that's not hapening.
Whether its 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1 we keep chopping and changing personnel.
It might settle down after the transfer window closes, maybe some players are eyeing a move, or maybe Lennon feels the way the games work out in such a tight schedule this year that he has to rotate to ensure everyone is close to match sharpness if called upon, but it's making for a disjointed team. No fluidity, not enough time together to build relationships and partnerships.
Looks to me he's just trying to eke out wins but it may be he's as frustrated as us and thats why he keeps changing.
I do think he's settled on this for now with a view to the derby though, he has no scope now to change without gambling on something untried and few games left to try it out with only Hibs-sarajevo/st johnstone then an international break again. He's not got time on training field bar recovery, game, recovery. I think when we changed for the Livi game to this style we were going to stick with it and see how we came out post huns game.

I'm so disappointed, weve won away in Europe playing by far, well below our standards, were unbeaten in the league, playing well under par, we can go top of the table on Sunday with a home win and weve yet to hit second gear never mind first. It's so disappointing. Being a Celtic supporter automatically means when I watch Celtic play anyone in any tournament, especially away from home in Europe, we win, we win comfortably and handsomely in style usually blitzing the opposition by 4 or 5 goals and an edouard hat-trick. The dusts' settling a wee bit now so the realisation is kicking in and my sense of entitlement is wearing off. This must be how a Barcelona fan feels if they only win 1 nil Scotland or anywhere else. Seriously though we or I do have this sense of entitlement and it's really important that we get rid of it asap. Winning every single trophy on the go domestically for years, an invincible season and going for a 4th treble on the bounce has given the impression that we are entitled, entitled! entitled! Perhaps it's all the titles that weve won. We are the best side in Scotland still and we do have the best squad by a country mile. That we can bring a player of the quality of Elyounnoussi off of our BENCH gives me a comforting confidence Aye we haven't hit the heights were accustomed to yet this season but we move onwards and upwards. We did win that game and we are through. No one will care much how we did it as long as we did it come the next round(Beer sheeva anyone? Shakhtar Karagandy?) Shudder at those memories. Deludamol is long sold out. The team are grafting away grinding these results out under a pressure unknown to any other Celtic side in my lifetime and without any supporters present. It is rough and it is painful to see, wouldnt quite be Celtic otherwise. So I'm keeping the faith, ☘ im certain that the pool of players we have is far superior to any other in the country and will deliver again. Europa leagues a side show this season and if we win it we can buy the whole team a new pair of boots for all it's worth financially, f'aw. Bring on the hibs and the important fitba our bhoys will come good HH COYBIG ☘

Last edited:
I'm so disappointed, weve won away in Europe playing by far, well below our standards, were unbeaten in the league, playing well under par, we can go top of the table on Sunday with a home win and weve yet to hit second gear never mind first. It's so disappointing. Being a Celtic supporter automatically means when I watch Celtic play anyone in any tournament, especially away from home in Europe, we win, we win comfortably and handsomely in style usually blitzing the opposition by 4 or 5 goals and an edouard hat-trick. The dusts' settling a wee bit now so the realisation is kicking in and my sense of entitlement is wearing off. This must be how a Barcelona fan feels if they only win 1 nil Scotland or anywhere else. Seriously though we or I do have this sense of entitlement and it's really important that we get rid of it asap. Winning every single trophy on the go domestically for years, an invincible season and going for a 4th treble on the bounce has given the impression that we are entitled, entitled! entitled! Perhaps it's all the titles that weve won. We are the best side in Scotland still and we do have the best squad by a country mile. That we can bring a player of the quality of Elyounnoussi off of our BENCH gives me a comforting confidence Aye we haven't hit the heights were accustomed to yet this season but we move onwards and upwards. We did win that game and we are through. No one will care much how we did it as long as we did it come the next round(Beer sheeva anyone? Shakhtar Karagandy?) Shudder at those memories. Deludamol is long sold out. The team are grafting away grinding these results out under a pressure unknown to any other Celtic side in my lifetime and without any supporters present. It is rough and it is painful to see, wouldnt quite be Celtic otherwise. So I'm keeping the faith, ☘ im certain that the pool of players we have is far superior to any other in the country and will deliver again. Europa leagues a side show this season and if we win it we can buy the whole team a new pair of boots for all it's worth financially, f'aw. Bring on the hibs and the important fitba our bhoys will come good HH COYBIG ☘
👏 👏👏👏👏

What he clapped. quality street there Winter
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 👏

HH 🍀

Team is starting to look stale..Keeper had nout to do but i still worry that his passing along the box will eventually lead to trouble..Invincible season we had a super Sinclair, Roberts , Dembele ,on fire Rogic and Tierney..Who have we got now ? Taylor not good enough , Forrest off form , Brown lost a yard,noone on left wing , Eddie ,eh ,no idea whats wrong with him..Our team has slowly regressed..We need to buy someone for left wing , get Griff fit , Eddie to engage , Get Rogic involved again (only 27) and give Turnbull a chance to see if hes got it and more game time for pingpong ..Our football under the Rat was easy on the eye but that looks to be totally gone now, even though to his credit , Lenny is still getting the results ..I still believe we have enough to get my namesake this season :)
Totally agree about Rogic & Turnbull

Never like to see a player get injured but the love affair with NL and Forrest could be over for a while {or as some call it taking a break} this could be a blessing in disguise as wee pingpong was awesome last night and should start in that position for the forthcoming matches. Just wondering if NL will take time out to nurse him back to health.

the play last night was horrible to watch with everything breaking down on the left flank due to the incapable Taylor, why he never changed him out for ellanoussi i will never know as he done little in defense either. we are way to predictable.

Improvement is required on 2 fronts.

we must get the ball moving quicker from back to front.

we require a new system to allow eddie and Ajeti to play together in order to get improvement in and around the box.

and as an addition brown needs a rest.

Never like to see a player get injured but the love affair with NL and Forrest could be over for a while {or as some call it taking a break} this could be a blessing in disguise as wee pingpong was awesome last night and should start in that position for the forthcoming matches. Just wondering if NL will take time out to nurse him back to health.

the play last night was horrible to watch with everything breaking down on the left flank due to the incapable Taylor, why he never changed him out for ellanoussi i will never know as he done little in defense either. we are way to predictable.

Improvement is required on 2 fronts.

we must get the ball moving quicker from back to front.

we require a new system to allow eddie and Ajeti to play together in order to get improvement in and around the box.

and as an addition brown needs a rest.
That's 3 fronts just sayin 😛

Did Lenny actually say 'we' were "excellent"??
Sure he wasn't referring just to the form of Frimpong??
The goal , watching it back Docco definitely was class , good distribution first from Barkas to Christie played a lovely pass up the right touchline and frimpongs crossed under pressure to Elyounnoussi hits it first time brilliant fast counter goal. Love that to be the start of a return to our last minute specials ala 'Larsson time ' though hopefully we wont need too many of those but good to see it happening when we needed it and like someone else said, could be doing with a fit up to speed Rogic who also has a knack for the last gasp winner. I think lenny saying we were excellent in the manner of how we controlled the game never under pressure in a foreign country etc and in that respect aye but this wasnt a case of take a result back home , extra time couldve put us in soapy bubble come Sunday and it might have gone to pens had we not the quality of our bench and that quality in depth is what's going to win it for us ultimately. We wont be facing a parked bus sunday and that should be good for us though jack ross will be aware of that too so be interesting to see how he sets hibs up against us he's got to know that we wont be bullied like the sevco

Ok, this is becoming monotonous.

We won, but for the life of me, even with my greenest glasses on I can't see us grinding out these types of win all season long.

That's two games now where NL has played a very dodgy game with Broony. Gets himself booked (again) and plays the full 90mins!

This is a combative midfielder on a yellow card in a winner takes all match. What happens if Moi doesn't score and Broony gets himself sent off? We've got 30mins of extra time with 10 men.

I know it didn't happen but Lenny was walking a tightrope last night that could've cost us dearly. I'm at a loss to see what the upside of leaving him on the park was. Turnbull should've come on around 55/60 minutes.

I've never watched us in a Scottish match for years thinking we might get turned over but that's how I'm feeling about Hibs at the weekend.

Duffy, apart from his two goals, hasn't really looked like the rock solid defender I thought he was.
His distribution was woeful last night. Quite frankly "woeful" is being kind! Perhaps he'll come good so fingers crossed on that one.

James Forrest missing out this weekend isn't the worst thing as it allows Jeremy Frimpong to add some of what he gave us last night. So it's JF out and JF in.

This weekends game with Hibs is the biggest test so far and I'm already rearranging the furniture so I can watch from behind the couch. 🙈

Come kick-off I'll no doubt be predicting a 3-0 win to the Hoops but until then I'm more than a little worried.

H H guys. 🇳🇬🍀🇳🇬🍀🇳🇬

Ok, this is becoming monotonous.

We won, but for the life of me, even with my greenest glasses on I can't see us grinding out these types of win all season long.

That's two games now where NL has played a very dodgy game with Broony. Gets himself booked (again) and plays the full 90mins!

This is a combative midfielder on a yellow card in a winner takes all match. What happens if Moi doesn't score and Broony gets himself sent off? We've got 30mins of extra time with 10 men.

I know it didn't happen but Lenny was walking a tightrope last night that could've cost us dearly. I'm at a loss to see what the upside of leaving him on the park was. Turnbull should've come on around 55/60 minutes.

I've never watched us in a Scottish match for years thinking we might get turned over but that's how I'm feeling about Hibs at the weekend.

Duffy, apart from his two goals, hasn't really looked like the rock solid defender I thought he was.
His distribution was woeful last night. Quite frankly "woeful" is being kind! Perhaps he'll come good so fingers crossed on that one.

James Forrest missing out this weekend isn't the worst thing as it allows Jeremy Frimpong to add some of what he gave us last night. So it's JF out and JF in.

This weekends game with Hibs is the biggest test so far and I'm already rearranging the furniture so I can watch from behind the couch. 🙈

Come kick-off I'll no doubt be predicting a 3-0 win to the Hoops but until then I'm more than a little worried.

H H guys. 🇳🇬🍀🇳🇬🍀🇳🇬
Hibs always give us a game , if they were more consistent they'd replace Aberdeen as the 3rd side. Ross has them well organised but weve seen them under lenny , Stubbs even mowbray they lift their game against us I'm looking forward to it I think (I hope) that it's one of the few chances we'll be able to play the way we should and can . Ross had them go all out against sevco but will he do that against us? I'm not convinced of that for as talented and well as they're going hes got to have in mind ross county having a go , and they had limited joy pressing our back line especially v Ajer and Duffy but we were ruthless in return I fancy us to hit them for three at least , different style of game should suit us if hibs approach us like that and tbf dont think they have the personnel to do anything other than go for it 3-1 the hoops HH ☘

Last edited:

Members online

Back