RIP Gerry Marsden - YNWA

Although the song comes from a musical, if it wasn't for GATP, we would not have the best song in football as one of our anthems, thanx Gerry, for some unforgettable spine tingling moments in the auld jungle,and now in the newest paradise. Thoughts with the man's family.

I remember him being interviewd some time after the trip to Celtic Park, where he sang YNWA and the crowd blew the roof off
He said at the time his thoguhts were, "If I'm to be taken Lord...let it be now...nothing can touch this moment"
Legend
RIP Gerry
You'll Never Walk Alone
HH

I remember a few years ago someone on the telly (Alan Hansen???) saying that whenever the tv folks were speaking about Liverpool and used snatches of YNWA it was the Celtic fans singing rather than the Liverpool fans. It might have been because the scousers play Gerry all the way through whereas we fade him out so it is just the fans singing which they thought sounded more impressive.

Rest in peace, Gerry.

I couldn't find the clip, but I remember him saying it
Here's Gerry speaking to a reporter:

Is there a better rallying cry before a football match than You'll Never Walk Alone?

No. I talk to other players and they say they wish they had a song to go out to like that. Celtic nicked it off us actually - but I'll let them off because I like Celtic! I think it's the best, not because I did it, but for the players in the tunnel it inspires them.

What has been your favourite version of You'll Never Walk Alone?

When we played Celtic in Europe a few years ago [2003], I sung it on the pitch and it was amazing. I sang it at Anfield for the Queen which was a great feeling, and I did it at Bradford after the terrible fire disaster. I've had quite a few great moments with the song.

YNWA

I couldn't find the clip, but I remember him saying it
Here's Gerry speaking to a reporter:

Is there a better rallying cry before a football match than You'll Never Walk Alone?

No. I talk to other players and they say they wish they had a song to go out to like that. Celtic nicked it off us actually - but I'll let them off because I like Celtic! I think it's the best, not because I did it, but for the players in the tunnel it inspires them.

What has been your favourite version of You'll Never Walk Alone?

When we played Celtic in Europe a few years ago [2003], I sung it on the pitch and it was amazing. I sang it at Anfield for the Queen which was a great feeling, and I did it at Bradford after the terrible fire disaster. I've had quite a few great moments with the song.

YNWA
I remember that night and we owe Gerry a debt of gratitude for popularising the song that is anthemic to both clubs.
RIP Gerry Marsden. Everyone knows that you will surely never walk alone.

Back