RUSSIA

Russia apparently banned from ALL sporting events for 4 years,I think they also meant football?not sure on that ,but assume it would need to be included,does that mean they should be kicked out current comp????hh
Yes, they will be banned from the 2022 football World Cup too. But not banned from UEFA competitions so OK for Euro 2020 and club competitions. See below for extract from BBC article:

"Despite the ban, Russia will be able to compete at Euro 2020 - in which St Petersburg will be a host city - as European football's governing body Uefa is not defined as a 'major event organisation' with regards to rulings on anti-doping breaches."

When this Russian doping scandal came to light a few years ago I remember reading that the previous year more French athletes tested positive for banned substances than Russians, if I remember rightly the Russians were quite a way down the list, I'm all for banning cheats but this smells like a political decision.

Considering how much doping has been going on and for how long there's the chance of multigenerational offspring of dopers knocking about. Some might even have great grandparents who were on mad, experimental shit from the 50s and 60s.
So if the great grandparents, grand parents and parents were all dopers there's a mutagenic potential which will have Sevco scouts desperately scouring Russia for specimens to get in on free transfers.

When this Russian doping scandal came to light a few years ago I remember reading that the previous year more French athletes tested positive for banned substances than Russians, if I remember rightly the Russians were quite a way down the list, I'm all for banning cheats but this smells like a political decision.
I agree. Whilst it is right that Russia should be banned for having systematic doping, I believe that a lot more athletes (and sportspeople generally) are competing with chemical assistance... British, US, Jamaican, Kenyan and more. I don't even watch athletics anymore because I don't trust what I am seeing.

Same with the huns - after they financially doped their way to the titles and the SFA and League turned a blind eye to it, I live for the day that sevco dies and Castle Greyskull is made into a fleamarket.

Let them all get high they run faster and it's over quicker the only countrys complaining are the one's who cant get there hands on the good stuff :cool:

I agree. Whilst it is right that Russia should be banned for having systematic doping, I believe that a lot more athletes (and sportspeople generally) are competing with chemical assistance... British, US, Jamaican, Kenyan and more. I don't even watch athletics anymore because I don't trust what I am seeing.

Same with the huns - after they financially doped their way to the titles and the SFA and League turned a blind eye to it, I live for the day that sevco dies and Castle Greyskull is made into a fleamarket.
There was a really good documentary on tv a few years back called "The Race That Shocked The World" about the infamous 1988 Olympic 100m men's final in Seoul. Ben Johnson was caught cheating then but 7 out of the 8 finalists failed drugs tests in their careers (including the squeaky clean Carl Lewis). There was an interesting part about a particular drug that was prevalent at that time that caused adult's teeth to start growing so there were all these major athletes suddenly had to wear tooth braces like young teenagers when in their mid-20s (check out famous 80s US athletes like Lewis, Griffiths-Joiner, etc, etc).

Then the head of the UCLA drug lab that was storing all the urine samples from the 84 Olympics decided to test the old samples about 10 years later using new detection techniques. He was shocked that a very very large % of samples were positive so he decided to say nothing as he didn't want to destroy the sport he loved and destroyed all the samples so they could never be tested again (think a mix of Lord Nimmo Smith and Neil Doncaster).

Sadly so many sports are corrupt and our national game has a poor track record.

Carl Lewis, I read, failed a drugs test before the 1984 Olympics but US track and field covered it up because he was supposedly their golden boy and, as mentioned, Flo-Jo suddenly took almost half a second off her 100m PB which was very odd. I think, if the USADA had been in existence then, they would have been less likely to get away with it. It's easy to find the dopers because there are lists of previously banned sportspeople online - eg half the Jamaican sprint team has been banned at one time or another. I would be surprised if a number of 'TeamGB' competitors weren't doping.

Carl Lewis, I read, failed a drugs test before the 1984 Olympics but US track and field covered it up because he was supposedly their golden boy and, as mentioned, Flo-Jo suddenly took almost half a second off her 100m PB which was very odd. I think, if the USADA had been in existence then, they would have been less likely to get away with it. It's easy to find the dopers because there are lists of previously banned sportspeople online - eg half the Jamaican sprint team has been banned at one time or another. I would be surprised if a number of 'TeamGB' competitors weren't doping.
Yes, Lewis failed it but kicked up shit. Griffiths-Joiner improved so quickly to set records that still stand 35 years later, retired suddenly when new drug tests came out then died very young when her heart exploded.

Linford Christie failed a drug test too later on. I'd imagine if you weren't cheating then you probably struggled to compete.

Just seen this thread today so might be already answered
But the thing with the Russians was that they were helping their athletes with the cheating so people who were doping where passing the tests and that was why bells were ringing to many pass marks

Back