Saddest news as Celtic legend Billy McNeill passes away - messages of condolence here please

It was nice to hear John Greig say a few complimentary words about him. Billy transcended the divide and there are not many left who do. I think Billy McNeill could have mixed with most of the Rangers support in a Rangers bar without any trouble! He was also a hard man... didn't stand for nonsense... but let petty things go without bothering too much about them. A well balanced personality and a winner. Respected & loved by all who knew him. Hail Cesar!

As a young lad my Grandfather took me to my first games. Every time he was going I tugged at the heartstrings to take me with him. Other than the Rangers games or Tynecastle he generally would. It meant he missed out a lot on time with his pals on a Saturday. I wrote to Billy asking him to Grandparents ruby wedding anniversary as a way of thanking my Grandad.
Billy took the time to reply to my letter saying sadly he couldn't attend as he had another supporters function but he wrote a letter to my grandparents wishing them a happy anniversary and apologising he couldn't attend. He also had a message over the park Tannoy on the Saturday afternoon (Tiger Tim!) wishing them both a happy anniversary. My Granda was made up. Not sure such a daft request from a wee laddie would get such a response now.
A true gentleman. Sleep well Billy. You touched people more than you ever knew.

As a young lad my Grandfather took me to my first games. Every time he was going I tugged at the heartstrings to take me with him. Other than the Rangers games or Tynecastle he generally would. It meant he missed out a lot on time with his pals on a Saturday. I wrote to Billy asking him to Grandparents ruby wedding anniversary as a way of thanking my Grandad.
Billy took the time to reply to my letter saying sadly he couldn't attend as he had another supporters function but he wrote a letter to my grandparents wishing them a happy anniversary and apologising he couldn't attend. He also had a message over the park Tannoy on the Saturday afternoon (Tiger Tim!) wishing them both a happy anniversary. My Granda was made up. Not sure such a daft request from a wee laddie would get such a response now.
A true gentleman. Sleep well Billy. You touched people more than you ever knew.

Thanx for sharing that Niall. Its a feel good experience isn’t it.

Like you i’m not so sure there is a lot that would do that these days.

Although a lot of the bhoys do do a lot for charity and kids to be fair.

HH ☘️

Thanx for sharing that Niall. Its a feel good experience isn’t it.

Like you i’m not so sure there is a lot that would do that these days.

Although a lot of the bhoys do do a lot for charity and kids to be fair.

HH ☘️
Was at a function where the Lisbon Lions were in attendance
I approached Billy McNeill with a Celtic jersey, asking if he would sign it for a young family member, who had just had a leg amputated
Billy repplied: "No problem"
Not only did he sign it, he went round all the Lions saying "Right boys, sign this for a wee lassie who's lost a leg..."
Every one of them signed it and I will never forget what an absolute legend, big Billy was, both on & off the field
In this day and age, when contracts seem to mean nothing and players are more interested in all the bling and 'celebrity' exposure thay can get, it's comforting to know that we got to interact with true professionals and icons like Billy McNeill
Always in our hearts
YNWA

Members online

Latest posts

Back