Scott Brown's Twitter 'slip'

SamTeàrlachH

Everyone will now be familiar with the controversy regarding Scott Brown's alleged 'slip' when he 'liked' a tweet criticising Neil Lennon for playing Callum McGregor at left-back and benching Christopher Jullien. The tweet called out Brown by name to 'say to Lennon he's to blame' for the catastrophic home loss to Cluj.

Despite his claims otherwise and his explanation/apology, we all know Scott Brown didn't accidentally 'like' that tweet. Not even taking into the account the old Freudian slip phenomenon, it's beyond obvious that even Scott Brown, a man who has praised and backed Lenny 100% since he took over from BR, realises that the manager was badly out of his depth the other night.

I supported Lennon as Celtic manager when he was appointed, given the other targets people were highlighting were absolutely unrealistic (Mourinho, Rafa Benitez, Andre Villas-Boas etc.), but also because I think he's a good manager. After his first stint at Celtic, while I must confess to not seeing a solitary game of his ill-fated spell at Bolton, I thought he had Hibernian playing fantastic football. I still support Lennon. But if even Scott Brown is not 'turning' on the manager, as has been the implication of the press who have covered this, but rather publicly admitting to the manager's culpability, it means Celtic probably have a discordant dressing room environment. Even if it's silently discordant, we can only assume that Brown's 'slip' is a product of something akin to a rudderless ship. Or a ship without a captain.

Neil Lennon is a natural leader, but he's always been slightly suspect tactically. You hardly need any more proof of this after the Cluj fiasco. But his one strength, which his leadership and control over the team which he nominally presides over, is I think being undermined by the behaviour of Peter Lawwell. If Lennon doesn't have control over signings and if he isn't being given the necessary funds, and we're not talking bank-breaking figures here, to shape his own team, we have to ask ourselves if Lenny isn't just a manager in name only. That's probably taking it too far, but the bizarre events that are swirling around our club, in what should be a time of exceptional triumph and optimism, must have a source. Determining and isolating that source, or sources, is of course half the battle for us supporters.

But why did Scott Brown like that tweet to begin with? Think about the psychology behind it. He clearly felt like the manager wasn't taking responsibility for the defeat. And he was right. I hate to say it, but Lenny's comments since the defeat have been verging on the comical in terms of his lack of self-criticism. Not one iota of self-awareness regarding playing CalMac at left-back. And it's clear that he's blamed the players in the dressing room too. That's why Scott Brown 'liked' the tweet blaming Lenny.

You've got a manager who feels undermined at every turn and is asked to perform tasks according to a now self-defeating, obstructionist business model, which is leading to a crisis in his authority and possibly confidence (the Cluj fiasco was either evident of a manager who took the Romanian team lightly, or who didn't know how to take them at all), and you've got players who are going to feel as if everything is being put on them. You can only imagine what all this has done to the confidence of the already shaky (though I thought he was visibly improving as every minute ticked by at Motherwell) Boli Bolingoli - you can only imagine how bewildered Christopher Jullien is by it all.

As it happens, I don't fully buy the narrative, first introduced in the mainstream media by Alan Stubbs, then passed off in the usual tiresome fashion by certain bloggers as some kind of non-existent internal scoop, that Neil Lennon doesn't have control over signings at Celtic. We all seen the fact that Lennon was part of the recruitment team that brought in players. But what I think is the problem is this 'signing by committee' strategy. That's not Lenny's style. Sure, he takes the scouts reports and consults people on signings, but he wants final say in who comes in the door. And who goes out of it.

Everyone will now be familiar with the controversy regarding Scott Brown's alleged 'slip' when he 'liked' a tweet criticising Neil Lennon for playing Callum McGregor at left-back and benching Christopher Jullien. The tweet called out Brown by name to 'say to Lennon he's to blame' for the catastrophic home loss to Cluj.

Despite his claims otherwise and his explanation/apology, we all know Scott Brown didn't accidentally 'like' that tweet. Not even taking into the account the old Freudian slip phenomenon, it's beyond obvious that even Scott Brown, a man who has praised and backed Lenny 100% since he took over from BR, realises that the manager was badly out of his depth the other night.

I supported Lennon as Celtic manager when he was appointed, given the other targets people were highlighting were absolutely unrealistic (Mourinho, Rafa Benitez, Andre Villas-Boas etc.), but also because I think he's a good manager. After his first stint at Celtic, while I must confess to not seeing a solitary game of his ill-fated spell at Bolton, I thought he had Hibernian playing fantastic football. I still support Lennon. But if even Scott Brown is not 'turning' on the manager, as has been the implication of the press who have covered this, but rather publicly admitting to the manager's culpability, it means Celtic probably have a discordant dressing room environment. Even if it's silently discordant, we can only assume that Brown's 'slip' is a product of something akin to a rudderless ship. Or a ship without a captain.

Neil Lennon is a natural leader, but he's always been slightly suspect tactically. You hardly need any more proof of this after the Cluj fiasco. But his one strength, which his leadership and control over the team which he nominally presides over, is I think being undermined by the behaviour of Peter Lawwell. If Lennon doesn't have control over signings and if he isn't being given the necessary funds, and we're not talking bank-breaking figures here, to shape his own team, we have to ask ourselves if Lenny isn't just a manager in name only. That's probably taking it too far, but the bizarre events that are swirling around our club, in what should be a time of exceptional triumph and optimism, must have a source. Determining and isolating that source, or sources, is of course half the battle for us supporters.

But why did Scott Brown like that tweet to begin with? Think about the psychology behind it. He clearly felt like the manager wasn't taking responsibility for the defeat. And he was right. I hate to say it, but Lenny's comments since the defeat have been verging on the comical in terms of his lack of self-criticism. Not one iota of self-awareness regarding playing CalMac at left-back. And it's clear that he's blamed the players in the dressing room too. That's why Scott Brown 'liked' the tweet blaming Lenny.

You've got a manager who feels undermined at every turn and is asked to perform tasks according to a now self-defeating, obstructionist business model, which is leading to a crisis in his authority and possibly confidence (the Cluj fiasco was either evident of a manager who took the Romanian team lightly, or who didn't know how to take them at all), and you've got players who are going to feel as if everything is being put on them. You can only imagine what all this has done to the confidence of the already shaky (though I thought he was visibly improving as every minute ticked by at Motherwell) Boli Bolingoli - you can only imagine how bewildered Christopher Jullien is by it all.

[B]Scott Brown[/B]‏Verified account @[B]ScottBrown8[/B] Aug 13

Was just flicking through Twitter must of touched the button by accident.. Not my style to slag anyone off on Twitter. I am fully behind the manager and all the players are as well. If anyone should be getting a slagging or a abuse it’s all on me tonight as didn’t perform. Sorry

Despite his claims otherwise and his explanation/apology, we all know Scott Brown didn't accidentally 'like' that tweet.

Sam, I'm going to disagree with you there, and I'm going to give Broony the benefit of the doubt. I've done that before when reading tweets, especially with my fat fingers on a small phone screen.

It's one thing to critique your own club, it's another to jump on the dogpile of unwarranted criticism and sideshows aimed at bringing down the club. Decide how you want to proceed going forward.

Sam, I'm going to disagree with you there, and I'm going to give Broony the benefit of the doubt. I've done that before when reading tweets, especially with my fat fingers on a small phone screen.

It's one thing to critique your own club, it's another to jump on the dogpile of unwarranted criticism and sideshows aimed at bringing down the club. Decide how you want to proceed going forward.
Agree, for to bow down to an excuse or disbelieve the error calls into doubt regardless intergrity and that is a problem and an issue with only one result, never happened IMO as been reported and pounced on.

I hate to say it, but Lenny's comments since the defeat have been verging on the comical in terms of his lack of self-criticism. Not one iota of self-awareness regarding playing CalMac at left-back. And it's clear that he's blamed the players in the dressing room too.

Really good post with a lot angles to add scope to the debate. It's a debate which needs to happen; Celtic fans can't afford to stand idly by.
I want to focus on the above. I'm not a fan of Neil Lennon, never have been. I don't consider him to be a person of good character and it doesn't take much of a delve into his personal life to see why. Personal and professional lives are different some might say but when you are setting yourself up as a mentor and leader you have to be trustworthy. Lennon has a history of betraying the trust of those closest to him. As did Rodgers.
Who remembers Alan Thompson; thrown under the bus when the managerial drinking culture became too much of an embarrassment.
Celtic fans deserve better in the boardroom and on the touchline.

Really good post with a lot angles to add scope to the debate. It's a debate which needs to happen; Celtic fans can't afford to stand idly by.
I want to focus on the above. I'm not a fan of Neil Lennon, never have been. I don't consider him to be a person of good character and it doesn't take much of a delve into his personal life to see why. Personal and professional lives are different some might say but when you are setting yourself up as a mentor and leader you have to be trustworthy. Lennon has a history of betraying the trust of those closest to him. As did Rodgers.
Who remembers Alan Thompson; thrown under the bus when the managerial drinking culture became too much of an embarrassment.
Celtic fans deserve better in the boardroom and on the touchline.

I disagree with you about his personal life and judging him on that basis (we've all made mistakes, some more than others granted), but I totally get what you're saying. I mean, to perhaps contradict my disagreement, you are right that personal stuff can't always be divorced from 'professional' life.

Well, I'm nobody's cheerleader. I think Scott Brown probably felt like Lenny had thrown them under the bus after the last match. I think he saw that tweet, liked it and then realised that it wasn't right for him to air any disagreement with the manager publicly. If you don't like that opinion, fine, but don't start giving me these silly ultimatums that have no basis in anything other than mere disagreement. I'm a Celtic fan come what may and I have the right to an opinion. I still support Neil Lennon as Celtic manager. But I want the manager to be self-aware and self-critical. In fact, we need it.

Also, yeah, he was scrolling down twitter and just happened to like, of the thousands of tweets, the one that called for him BY NAME to call out Lenny. That definitely sounds plausible lol

Also, yeah, he was scrolling down twitter and just happened to like, of the thousands of tweets, the one that called for him BY NAME to call out Lenny. That definitely sounds plausible lol
That means the captain is either a yes man or tells fibs to save himself, which calls into question his credibility.

You're the one who started talking utter nonsense, man. Don't now pish your pants.
You are the one doubting Scott Brown claiming he made the tweet intentially and now is denying it, thats a credibility issue, away and gies piece, stop reading junk.

That means the captain is either a yes man or tells fibs to save himself, which calls into question his credibility.

No, it doesn't necessarily mean either of those things. It means that the captain is someone who realised that it wasn't correct to air his grievances against the manager publicly on twitter and that it would be necessary to say that it was an accident. A kind of noble untruth, if you like.

You are the one doubting Scott Brown claiming he made the tweet intentially and now is denying it, thats a credibility issue, away and gies piece, stop reading junk.

He didn't 'make' the tweet. He liked a tweet calling on him to call out Lenny on putting CalMac at left-back. The idea that he just happened to like this specific tweet out of the thousands of other tweets is a genuine absurdity believed perhaps only by those with their heads up their arses.

No, it doesn't necessarily mean either of those things. It means that the captain is someone who realised that it wasn't correct to air his grievances against the manager publicly on twitter and that it would be necessary to say that it was an accident. A kind of noble untruth, if you like.
No such thing as a noble untruth, a lie is a lie.

Members online

Back