Scottish Cup Final Celtic 2 Dundee 1. 11/4/1925

Richybhoy

I came across an auld Sunday Mail with the full match report. They just do not write in this style any more. The report was written by a "John O Groat". Here is the article from 12/4/1925.
Great men for great deeds! When I say so, it is not in the sense of physical greatness but greatness of heart and love of whatever the honour at stake.
I should say there never was a player who pulled his club through yesterday as Patsy Gallacher did. He has not physical power but what a heart. He plays for the honour of his club, and when it seemed as if the cup would go north of the Forth- not that I would have regretted that- he rallied the Celtic forces, at a time when the favouritism which was theirs was disputed, and might well have been defeated.
It wasn't his goal altogether. In greater degree was it the influence he had upon his colleagues. He inspired them at a time when they required inspiration. He intensified the magnetism which he sent through them when he scored, and he showed them the way to victory. I don't want to be fulsome in my flattery, but I am sure those who saw the game will agree that he was the man who saved Celtic, and when I say saved, I mean that they had to fight the uphill battle.

A Good Final
It was a good final - fought on fair lines and every inch contested. Dundee played well. At the interval they deserved their lead. They had never allowed the Celtic to settle to their game, and had scored a goal.
If Dundee had a plan of campaign in the second half it was a bad one. I don't think they had. They were simply overplayed by a better team at the finish and they wavered. They hung back until it looked as if they were all on the defensive.
Celts took the bit in their teeth then. They tried every conceivable means to break through, but sometimes by their own weakness, at others because of the astute and resolute defence opposed to them, it took them twenty five minutes exactly to get that equaliser.
The goal came from a free kick, although not direct from that. But the Celts were desperate, and, with Britton lying full length on the ground, the ball went over the line, with Gallacher, who had carried it through, lying mixed up in the meshes of the net.
Then came the great struggle- I was almost saying for supremacy- but it was really a test as between the Celtic forwards and the Dundee defence, which consisted of everyone except Halliday and the wing men.
When it appeared as if we would have another afternoon of it, there came another free kick to Celts. This was so well placed that James McGrory, running in at full speed, scored a great goal with his head.
And so Celtic have created another record. Up till yesterday they and Queens Park shared the honour of having won the cup ten times, now Celtic are one ahead. I wonder which team will ever catch up on them. It will be in the far-off days, I am afraid.
About the Players
When I look back at the game what strikes me is the great amount of work which Britton had to do as compared with Shevlin. The Dundee goalkeeper had many saves but Shevlin only a few. Really there were only a few drives for goal and the majority of these went over the bar. Britton certainly did well, but his tendency to hold the ball might have been disastrous. Shevlins work was easy.
The back play all round was very good, and of the four I liked the two men on the left side of the field best. Hilley was very confident, so confident that he took the ball down among his forwards more than once.
Willie McStay was steady, but far from brilliant, and on many occasions he failed to time his kicking. It can be said of him, however, that he gave nothing away. Brown was a resolute defender, but showed weakness when he had to slide along the grass to beat Adam McLean in the first half. He was often left in the closing period.
The half back play was only moderate. The Dens Park men depended a great deal on booting the ball, a policy which payed them for a time. But the more studied play of McFarlane and Wilson told in the end, when method prevailed over strength. W. Rankine and J McStay were workers, but that is really the best that can be said of them.
Forward, I have referred to Gallacher, but I must say this, that it was only in the second half that he came into his own. Connelly, too, was a second half player, but the remark applies generally to the Celtic attack, although Thomson worked hard to make an opening in the first half. McGrory for his goal, deserves credit.
The Dundee attack was all right in the first half, when McLean and Halliday schemed hard to get the lead increased. Gilmour, too, was dangerous when he got off, and was well played by the other Rankine. But in the second half they were seldom in the picture,and, like many others who faced the Celtic in their moments of cup-tie inspiration, they petered out.
Kicks Of The Game
Ross beat W McStay in the spin, and right away the game developed a keen-ness which suggested a game of continued interest. The first thrill came when McLean lying over on the left sent a ball to the right, Duncan looked like making good, but Hilley came on the scene, and, with a cute but dangerous backheeler, beat his man and cleared.
Adam McLean got into the picture,and twice was beaten, once by Brown and then by Ross, when he looked like becoming dangerous. On a third occasion he drove a ball which got the "Napper" on the body, and the ball was cleared.
First corner to Dundee, and a beauty was well placed
by Gilmour. Danger threatened Celtics goal for a second or two, and culminated in a free kick, which Thomson placed into Shevlins safe arms.
Ten minutes gone, and the teams had not settled. There was a lot of wild kicking and Duncan's slogan round about this time was "Hold it".
There wasn't much scope for the forwards, the tackling being keen as mustard.
The best shot of the game so far- indeed, the only one- came from J Rankine, who sent a swift one over.
Clever play by the Dundee forwards left Charlie Duncan a chance, but the fifer shot wildly over.
A closer shave a minute afterwards. Halliday worked his way on the right and drove a hard shot in which found a post.
When Celtic relieved this bit of pressure, they were only allowed a respite for a minute, and a clever movement by McLean opened a way for Halliday, who had a clean run through. He elected to give the ball to J Rankine, who shot over. David McLean followed suit.
With twenty minutes gone, Dundees first real danger came. Irving mis-kicked and Connelly put the ball over. Just as McGrory went to clinch the cross, Thomson stepped in and cleared well. It was a good bit of work by the Dens Park back.
Another Celtic attack, and when Adam McLean sent over a high cross McGrory headed the ball to Connelly who with his left foot hit it hard against the side of the net.
The Leading Goal
Gilmour was getting his crosses well over, and from one of his passes David McLean got the leading goal after Shevlin had cleared, and Rankine had headed the ball back against the bar. The goal was deserved. This occurred after thirty one minutes.
A nasty incident occurred in which McLean and Hilley were concerned, the Dundee man being checked.
Celtic warmed to their work after the reverse, and swarmed in on Britton. The Dundee defence was solid, especially Thomson, who cleared time and again, and played with great judgement. Willie McStay almost made a fatal blunder just on half time, but managed to recover.
Celtic resumed with great vigour, and attacked almost incessantly for the first five minutes but that greatly desired goal seemed just to elude them. The Dundee defence was stubborn and yielded not an inch. And truth to tell, Britton was not being troubled much until first Connelly dropped one in which he put out, and Thomson sent a an overhead one in which he again held,and forced his way out against eager Celtic forwards.
Fifteen minutes gone, and all Celtic, with nothing to show for it. McFarlane looked as is if he would go through but hesitated too long, and then McLean shot against the side of the net. Connelly missed in front of goal, and the whole tale round about this time was one of Celtics inability to take their chances. Britton saved brilliantly from McLean, after Thomson had slipped him a lovely pass.
Patsy Scores
With twenty five minutes gone a great Celtic rally brought out the well deserved equaliser. Amidst a crowd of players, Patsy Gallacher scraped the ball over the line. The little wizard was greatly in the picture afterwards, and on another occasion he almost got through after beating three opponents.
Then came the climax. A free kick was given against "Napper" Thomson. The ball was beautifully placed, and McGrory running on, scored a grand goal with his head.
There were still four minutes to go and Dundee made a rally, but they had shot their bolt. There was to be no 1910 sensation.
CELTIC- Shevlin, W McStay, Hilley, Wilson, J McStay, McFarlane, Connelly, Gallacher, McGrory, Thomson, McLean.
DUNDEE-Britton, Brown, Thomson, Ross, W Rankine, Irving, Duncan, McLean, Halliday, J Rankine, Gilmour
REFEREE- Tom Dougary, Belshill.

I have a few of these old match reports covering 1925 until Seville. If there is a demand for it I will type up a few more. Will do the 7-1 game next I think.
HH Rich

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Back