Scottish words.

How about 'pogled' (cheated) as in, "He pogled they cards"
And 'puchled' (tired) as in "Ah'm puchled'
A friend from Ayrshire, when he's had a tough day, will say "Ach, t's a sair fecht"
My Maw used this often',always on a Wednesday/Thursday when cash was low mind you this was the 50/60s when the most important thing was the the bingo it was the outlet of many then

Last edited:
We call a drain/sewer a cundie in Dundee........it's derived from the French word conduit.

Cosmopolitan bunch up here

Plettie - plateau
Ashet - plate (derived from assiete)
It has come to my attention that there may be some confusion over the similarities between the Dundonian use of the word ashet and the use of the phrase: eh shat!

The former is used to describe a plate or tin dish for cooking pehs in. The latter is a first-person narrative used by someone who has recently evacuated their bowel.

Examples:

1. Dinnae lick the gravy aff the ashet, it's still roastin'

2. When wee alfie had his most recent failure against Celtic, he was heard to mutter: "sorree, senor Sleepy, eh shat the bed again, boss"***

*** please note, the phrase "eh shat" can be used both figuratively and metaphorically in this instance. Where, quite literally, alfie shat the bed because he's not house trained and also metaphorically shat the bed by failing to find the net against Celtic (again × any number you wish to multiply it by)

When I was a wean visiting relatives in Balingray in the Kingdom of fife my aunts mum said to me,"awa ben ta the kitchen and tell Jennie tae bide here the noo " Whit said I , phrase repeated I was still clueless till my cousin translated into weedgie for me . Took me ages to figure out who Ben was. 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯
Another thing about Fifers (sorry Lennono) is their inability to make the "th' sound?

Example:

Non-Fifer Person: "what was the final score with Celtic today?"

Fifer: "Shree-nil........Celtic cut shrew 'em like a hot knife shrew butter"

Phrases like

ye ken like ,a ken fine

she's away ben the room

away ben the lobby

Used to wonder how Ben N ken were in everyones house
I remember years ago I was goin oot wi a lassie....I was in the livingroom wi her, and her wee boy came into the room from his bedroom...I said to him get ben tae yer bedroom son, go on noo, get ben....He went away, and came back 2 mins later carrying a teddy bear. She started pishin herself laffin...I said, whats wrang...She couldny stop laffin and told me the teddy bears name was Ben....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A few more Dundee words
Dockie- a big stone
Checked- told aff
Minter- a red face
Chuckie- a wee stone
Fleg- a fright
Mink- a dirty person
Dinghy- a lie or made up story or a liar, storyteller
Ingin- An onion, as in Fred Ingins- Fried Onions.
Clatty- dirty

When I worked in England we met a guy called Fred, my mate said to him, Fred what? egg? I was fuckin doubled up but Fred just didna get it!! He thought we were mocking the shape o his head with receding hair. Made me laugh even more and Fred still didna get it.

Back