Should Football adopt the Yellow Card sin bin like in Rugby?

Brimcbhoy

So I'm just watching the Ireland v Ruskies game and one of the Ivors has just got a yellow card for persistent fouling (how they can tell I dont know they all look like fouls to me), this means he's in the sin bin for 10 mins. I thought, thats a great idea. Too many players in football seem to think they'll take a yellow "for the team" maybe 10 mins on the sidelines would make them think twice. Thoughts?

I kind of like it as an idea but in rugby you seem to have to decapitate some bugger before you get sin binned, the amount of bookings in football you'd end up with more in the bin than on the park!
I get your point but surely if a team had 2 players in the sin bin at the same time or even one player in the bin the onus would then be on the rest of the team to keep their discipline at least till one of them came out?

Shouldn’t this post be in General Chat? 😇
Nope General chat is for non football related matters imo.

Personally speaking, I can't tell what's in Celtic Chat or what's in General Chat when something is posted, because going by the What's New link at the top of the page, the newest posted topics really don't get filtered. But I always assumed Celtic Chat was for Celtic stuff, and General Chat was for everything else.

Overall, though, it's a minuscule detail of concern only to the simplest of minds.

The forum police patrolling the Noise may have something to say about that, though.

Last edited:
I like the idea of sin bins in football too, bu they will only really work if you introduce a stop/start clock which only ticks down when there is actual play taking place. In rugby play can continue when players are getting treatment or else the ref can stop the clock if there is a big hold up.

In football this isn't the case so if a team went down to 10 players then it would often result in the short-sided team spending the next 10 minutes play-acting for treatment, goalies taking ages to take a bye kick, throw-ins being left for the full back to slowly trot up and throw it in, substitutes taking an age to leave the pitch. Now the refs can and should deal with these frustrating time-wasting scenarios already, but they don't. I can see it resulting in more frustrations and aggravation for the fans and opponents who should be benefiting with a "power play".

I personally would like a 30 minutes of guaranteed play per half using the stop/start clock, but this is too big a change for many people and no doubt TV companies would use it to end up slipping in adverts during the half.

There is also a bigger incentive for players to try to get an opponent yellow carded so may result in more cheating and haranguing of refs.

I like the idea of sin bins in football too, bu they will only really work if you introduce a stop/start clock which only ticks down when there is actual play taking place. In rugby play can continue when players are getting treatment or else the ref can stop the clock if there is a big hold up.

In football this isn't the case so if a team went down to 10 players then it would often result in the short-sided team spending the next 10 minutes play-acting for treatment, goalies taking ages to take a bye kick, throw-ins being left for the full back to slowly trot up and throw it in, substitutes taking an age to leave the pitch. Now the refs can and should deal with these frustrating time-wasting scenarios already, but they don't. I can see it resulting in more frustrations and aggravation for the fans and opponents who should be benefiting with a "power play".

I personally would like a 30 minutes of guaranteed play per half using the stop/start clock, but this is too big a change for many people and no doubt TV companies would use it to end up slipping in adverts during the half.

There is also a bigger incentive for players to try to get an opponent yellow carded so may result in more cheating and haranguing of refs.
You raise many good points, i'd have a big digital clock in the sin bin counting down the seconds so the fans can see how long left there is. Effectively i'd hope it was a deterrent as players think nothing of getting a yellow card these days other than it dissuades them from future rash challenges (sometimes). If you got sinbinned say 5 mins from halftime it carries forward to the 2nd half till it runs out. You cannot get sin binned twice and if a further offence occurs you get a red card as you do now. Time wasting can result in a yellow card as can simulation, both result in being sin binned.
I know this is all just theory but it would be worth a go imho.

You raise many good points, i'd have a big digital clock in the sin bin counting down the seconds so the fans can see how long left there is. Effectively i'd hope it was a deterrent as players think nothing of getting a yellow card these days other than it dissuades them from future rash challenges (sometimes). If you got sinbinned say 5 mins from halftime it carries forward to the 2nd half till it runs out. You cannot get sin binned twice and if a further offence occurs you get a red card as you do now. Time wasting can result in a yellow card as can simulation, both result in being sin binned.
I know this is all just theory but it would be worth a go imho.
If a player was sent to the bin with 5 mins and 4 of injury to be added is he therefore technically sent off as he cannot return to the field of play as ten mins is the alloted time.
This could possibly work as an incintive and advantage to the opposition if they relied on say an away goal and knowing the opposition is now reduced to ten for the remainder and cannot risk another yellow for the team.
Would still require VAR i would imagine to deter the refs honest mistakes in reducing the team he dislikes numbers.

It would be used by Scottish refs to do us down. One team would have no bookings for the whole season, can you guess which team?.
In a normal league with real refs it would be a good idea though.
Yeah it would cause issues for Scottish refs as in how to manage to get the entire Celtic team simultaneously sin-binned for at least 75% of every game. And even that wouldn't stop TIAR.

Members online

Latest posts

Back