Some basic psychology football research

When I was put in goal due to the goalkeeper being injured at a masters level game ten years ago I had to face a penalty kicker. An experience of one time only. As the kicker was just about to take the kick I loudly clapped my hands and yelled "To me!" The kicker then thumped the ball straight at my chest and I caught it easily. His teammates ribbed him mercilessly.

When I was put in goal due to the goalkeeper being injured at a masters level game ten years ago I had to face a penalty kicker. An experience of one time only. As the kicker was just about to take the kick I loudly clapped my hands and yelled "To me!" The kicker then thumped the ball straight at my chest and I caught it easily. His teammates ribbed him mercilessly.

If that scenario had been against the Huns you would have received a straight red.....the penalty kick would have been retaken twice without a goalkeeper in place and 2 goals added to the Huns tally.

You would have received a 10 week suspension from the SFA and the club fined £10m for bringing the game in to disrepute.

I was wondering if you know of any books or studies that cover the effects of psychopathy on public policy.
How much of human history is a result of psychopathy in our leaders?
I would be interested to know what you think about this as a professional psychologist.
Thanks

If that scenario had been against the Huns you would have received a straight red.....the penalty kick would have been retaken twice without a goalkeeper in place and 2 goals added to the Huns tally.

You would have received a 10 week suspension from the SFA and the club fined £10m for bringing the game in to disrepute.
??

Bain wore black.

Think you may need to go back to the drawing board, Doc.
How many penalties did Bain face? ZERO
How many great saves did he have to make? ZERO
What exactly is your point?
Goalkeepers who wear black will make some great saves, of course they will. However goalkeepers who wear black will let in more goals in a season than keepers of the same calibre who wear bright colours. That is a scientific and confirmed FACT and applies not just to football but to all sports that have a goalkeeper particularly in ice hockey where the proportion of goalkeeper to net is far greater. I despair at the intransigence of the Luddites who so easily want to accept mediocrity. Just because some keepers prefer black does not mean that it is acceptable. Tiny enhancements of performance collectively pay off. For instance I saw more back heels and flicks in our game just finished than for a long time. None of them resulted in a goal but they created opportunities. If x% of Opportunies(O) result in goals then 2xO means twice as many goals scored. The same logic applies in reverse when applied to goalkeepers. It seems ridiculous to assume that the outfit of a goalkeeper makes no difference to outcome. Of course it does. Gloves help a keeper. So too does colour of jersey. It's a simple but time consuming analysis but with enough video evidence my contention would be vindicated.
PS Here's a poser. In cold weather (which does happen in Scotland) does wearing gloves help, hinder or make no difference to performance.

Bain wore black. The Kalju keeper wore blue.

Think you may need to go back to the drawing board, Doc.
FFS think of the number of times our players fired the ball straight at the keeper. 5 times we aimed for the net and over a dozen shots were fired right at the keeper. He never had to dive to make a save. my point is thus proved.

FFS think of the number of times our players fired the ball straight at the keeper. 5 times we aimed for the net and over a dozen shots were fired right at the keeper. He never had to dive to make a save. my point is thus proved.

If you give people time Doc they may come round to your way of thinking.

Personally, I believe there’s something in what you’re saying.

Keep sharing your views.....I for one am interested in what you’ve got to say.

No wonder Scottish football is crap. The rest of the civilised world accept scientific studies about physiology and psychological advancement that can make incremental improvement in a team Judging by this blog post reactions the science gets ignored and anecdotal evidence is all that’s required. Read Learned optimism by Martin Seligman and learn about how crucial optimism is in sports. Or just be like an ostrich you can see more of it’s bum than it’s brain

Members online

No members online now.

Back