Specifics Celtic Can Change 2018

JimMc

Too early to be panicking but it is plain to see that the aside of a few exceptions the team has not been great or even effective for the last dozen or more matches. Celtic have generally looked predictable and static and constricted by too much emphasis on pass-stop-pass-stop supposed Barcelona tactics. Things will be a concern if BR does not see and address some specifics soon.

It's highly unlikely anyone at Celtic pays any real or effective attention to any Celtic forum or Celtic grouping (excepting a few big shareholders who I suspect do not even regularly watch Celtic). Maybe BR and the team might listen if enough fans have the same message delivered somehow to them direct, but it would have to be specific and reasonable to achieve.
I don't for a minute think a new manager is the answer, I think it will be a disaster. BR has shown he has it, and even today specified the errors, so he knows so he needs support not more stress.

So imagining they might listen, what would you ask to be addressed right now in 2018, before the new year opportunity to sign some new players?

Specify things that can be changed in 2018

1. Lustig becomes a bench player , if BR can't pick the obvious player for whatever is his imagined problem, then pick a youth player he can do no worse. Lustig has no legs and is now getting in the way of attacking play.

2. Hendy is a bench player (at best)

3. An experienced Defensive coach employed or existing sent to learn and quickly, one who understands basics, and tells the defence what to do, like having players on the goalposts for corners, to hell with what Craig Gordon or any other keeper imagines they can do best, it is a obvious reality seen time and time again that players on the line often stop schoolboy level goals like todays.

4. Midfield reorganized and given specific tasks and roles, who primarily defends first and who primarily attacks first, for example both CalMac and Rogic in the last few games have been all over the place and neither seems to know where to run to or who to support.

5. Unless it is for fans benefit like charity appeals, Players generally told to shut up about work on twitter or giving their pre match forecasts to the press.

6. Brendan to stop talking to the media so much as they will only be using his words against him and Celtic, making up some negative from the more words he supplies them, and to definitely stop talking about comparisons with other clubs or leagues, be that more money available elsewhere or about states of pitches in Scotland as this only encourages the odds against us and especially if we have not got a result, just seen as a cheap excuse. Please stop quoting Suarez and Coutinho and who ever else is now ancient and irrelevant history to players at Celtic. He may have been misquoted for all I know! but this week he was quoted quoting those players as examples in training! For a smart man he must have forgotten how that makes the best players at Celtic feel, second best to his best! Does not make sense to do that!

6. Forwards stop talking and start scoring, and be reminded that we pay you very well to score, so doing so is not a surprise is it expected.

7. For the PLC to realise we could not care less about Pete's CV which will now show 100 million turnover! (wrote about this before the accounts were released, and am now convinced he has been targeting the figure come what may for his own CV or self awarded lifetime achievement award, and by default for Celtic PLC), that the vast majority of Celtic fans right now could not care less about other competitions, The League is all, so no resting or rotating players except for the possible benefit of any SPFL league match

Last edited:
I agree with most of what you say 1-6 seem sensible. Point 7 is a bit irrelevant, if the whole PLC Board resigned it would make no difference. The problem is with Brendan and the players and our turnover is not relevant. The players are not performing and don't seem to be listening to Brendan. I don't think transfers has anything to do with these players not performing, maybe Boyata has a gripe but he is far from the worse performer

I agree with most of what you say 1-6 seem sensible. Point 7 is a bit irrelevant, if the whole PLC Board resigned it would make no difference. The problem is with Brendan and the players and our turnover is not relevant. The players are not performing and don't seem to be listening to Brendan. I don't think transfers has anything to do with these players not performing, maybe Boyata has a gripe but he is far from the worse performer

I agree, maybe add some are possibly listening a little too much to who ever the supposed defence coach is telling them :) , but it is all round the pitch as you say under performing, attack is very poor overall and goals scored just not like Celtic. Aside of a couple of matches and a couple of players such as KT, it stinks generally gutless and lame.

But no I don't personally want any on the board gone, I don't know enough or much at all about any of their own actual faults if any significant. I do credibly suspect like many others re PL that is buy as cheap as poss policy has backfired and badly this window, but he is only part of the problem.

I really only meant the literal point, that we really don't care right now after a very dull start to the SPFL about profits or realistically be caring about European prospects before or after Christmas,
or any other cup. So yes agree BR was part of the point and issue, especially if he is even considering resting or rotating any of our best players from any SPFL match.

Last edited:
What has happened to Brown? Very quiet this season. I would expect to see him demanding more of those around him, pushing for the winner with 15 mins to go. Instead he is a cause of most of the sideways passing that is now typical of our game. Nowhere near good enough

What has happened to Brown? Very quiet this season. I would expect to see him demanding more of those around him, pushing for the winner with 15 mins to go. Instead he is a cause of most of the sideways passing that is now typical of our game. Nowhere near good enough

Was thinking the same, think defensively he has played generally very well and given 100% as usual but we have not seen the same drives forward. Doubt it will be effort so maybe he is over concerned with the defence to be himself going forward, hopefully not age showing or old injury?
Like a few others I wrote him off as past it during the last season under Delia, he has proven those doubts completely wrong.
I think He's being harried (others around allowing it) a lot more by opposition, so he needs more support and others to show leadership, basically leader wise we have Broony & KT, not good enough others need to turn up and all the time.

Love Griff but he needs to stop the talk and just score and prove and lead by example. That might happen when BR accepts he has not currently got a typical CF in Eddie and Griff is given the role he is proven in!

Last edited:
I think Brown has played much the same going back a year. Collects the ball facing our goal and passes back or to the side. He isnt supposed to create from deep too often. Ntcham is the deep playmaker. Agreeon the original post about Lustig. Id put a winger in for a game and see if they give us the attacking threat from deep.

There is much talk about opposing teams having 'sussed out' how to play against Celtic, and it appears to be effective for now. Sit in a defensive block and let us play possession inside our own half, wait for a chance to break out and take your chance when you get it as we are a poor defensive outfit.
This system is working for now but we have just reached a tipping point where something has to be done... We need to be more assertive.
We have the best individual players in the country. In order to break down a defensive block we need more than 1 striker in a block of 8 or 9 defensive players. When the ball reaches Broonie we know it is going sideways or back but guaranteed it will go no further. If we push it to the side we have Sinclair who cannot get past a man to get to the byline so no balls into the box from him. The most effective we have been this year (and most of last) is when KT and Forrest get to the byline and get balls into the box. We try to use width to draw the defensive block out
I have a feeling we might be more effective if we can start pinging balls at ground level into the box at PACE, from MIDFIELD... eg, N'tcham or McGreggor but we must have more presence inside the defensive block.
The only ball Broonie played forward into the defensive block THIS WHOLE SEASON (albeit a high ball) resulted in a win against Rosenborg. The onus is on Celtic to break down a defensive wall in every game. This gives a huge advantage to the oposing team as all they have to do is block any tackle. Pinging low balls into the defensive block means there can be a 50/50 chance of picking up loose ball (now INSIDE THE BOX) by our players who have better ability. At worst, Broonie and Ntcham need to defend any play coming out of clearances made by the defenders. Rogic, McGreggor or whoever plays further forward needs to be looking for poor clearances inside the defensive block.
If we cannot get service to our forwards we cannot expect them to score goals.
We seem to be using skill to try to walk the ball into the net. It is not working. Maybe we could try to switch from 100% possession and make our forward players make their wages by being quicker to the chances created by mistakes and panic inside the box. Griffiths did it on Sunday too.
We say Armstrong was a big loss. Same story, he carried the ball INTO the defence and made them make mistakes form WITHIN the defensive block. Rogic does the same.... carries the ball inside and either scores or forces errors in the box. Sorry for rambling.

There is much talk about opposing teams having 'sussed out' how to play against Celtic, and it appears to be effective for now. Sit in a defensive block and let us play possession inside our own half, wait for a chance to break out and take your chance when you get it as we are a poor defensive outfit.
This system is working for now but we have just reached a tipping point where something has to be done... We need to be more assertive.
We have the best individual players in the country. In order to break down a defensive block we need more than 1 striker in a block of 8 or 9 defensive players. When the ball reaches Broonie we know it is going sideways or back but guaranteed it will go no further. If we push it to the side we have Sinclair who cannot get past a man to get to the byline so no balls into the box from him. The most effective we have been this year (and most of last) is when KT and Forrest get to the byline and get balls into the box. We try to use width to draw the defensive block out
I have a feeling we might be more effective if we can start pinging balls at ground level into the box at PACE, from MIDFIELD... eg, N'tcham or McGreggor but we must have more presence inside the defensive block.
The only ball Broonie played forward into the defensive block THIS WHOLE SEASON (albeit a high ball) resulted in a win against Rosenborg. The onus is on Celtic to break down a defensive wall in every game. This gives a huge advantage to the oposing team as all they have to do is block any tackle. Pinging low balls into the defensive block means there can be a 50/50 chance of picking up loose ball (now INSIDE THE BOX) by our players who have better ability. At worst, Broonie and Ntcham need to defend any play coming out of clearances made by the defenders. Rogic, McGreggor or whoever plays further forward needs to be looking for poor clearances inside the defensive block.
If we cannot get service to our forwards we cannot expect them to score goals.
We seem to be using skill to try to walk the ball into the net. It is not working. Maybe we could try to switch from 100% possession and make our forward players make their wages by being quicker to the chances created by mistakes and panic inside the box. Griffiths did it on Sunday too.
We say Armstrong was a big loss. Same story, he carried the ball INTO the defence and made them make mistakes form WITHIN the defensive block. Rogic does the same.... carries the ball inside and either scores or forces errors in the box. Sorry for rambling.

I really enjoyed your opinion. No ramblings from my perspective. Celtic as you say have the best players and should have the best manager. I think something has broken this summer that has disturbed the team spirit and the application of the game plans has deteriorated as a result.
Something needs to change to get the players manager and board and fans back united under a common cause.

No idea if any of the rumours are true, but clearly some kind of discontent has disturbed the flow and communication on the field. Whether its just a dip in form or something more sinister remains to be seen. Trying times for the manager to show why he gets the big bucks. The biggest problem for me is the lack of communications from high command about all things Celtic related by papering over the malaise with financial news only.

The silence needs to break and the fight needs to reappear. How that happens Im not sure, but it needs to happen to galvanise the unit back into place before they make this better.

I don't think our defenders are any worse than any other team in Scotland. Lustig seems to be no longer capable of doing a good job at RB which needs addressed. The mid field is disjointed and the attacking midfielders lack coordination guile and support for the defence and creative midfield. And this results in our strikers getting few chances against well organised defensive units.

It can be solved. But I can't see it being solved by papering over the lack of desire and oomph.

What is causing this lack of desire and oomph. Has the manager decided he wants sacked by not being proactive in organisation. I don't see the instructions to change the system when its seriously disjointed. Almost like he is hoping the read his mind.

The gap from our defenders and attack is far too wide. The link from midfield relies on mainly Ntcham. The right full back position isn't functioning well and the distribution and defensive side of that RB position seriously undermines the system. Lustig can't make a 30 yard pass very often and is exposed time and time again to fast tricky wingers. Our 3 attacking midfielders are mostly 50 yards from the defence and our defence as really only effective over 20 30 yard passes. So they pass it back and forth between themselves waiting for the attacking midfield to support them in range of passing. Brown is more of a anchor than a link player, so our system relies on Ntcham and tierney doing all the creative stuff for the attacking midfield who for whatever reason have decided to man mark their opposite numbers rather than come deep or move around looking for space which in turn is limiting the opportunities to find the feet of strikers to shoot.

Its system that can work and has done. But the key weaknesses of faulty RB and limited support in midfield mean to ball too often gets kicked back and forth between defenders waiting for proper support.

Personally I have always been a 442 or Standard 433 man. with width being the flair rather than the central midfielder.

But another problem we have is we have no real powerful Centre forward and really only effectively have two viable strikers, one of which lost his buddy to an acrimonious departure.

Could go on for hours with the problems that have been created that have not been openly addressed off field. Who is to blame I have no idea. But its not gonna be solved by hoping it just fixes itself.

Manger and board need to clear the skeletons and quickly before this problem deepens.

Something gotta give and before it gets worse

Tend to agree with most of what you say. Enjoyed your post. However, Our problem is now. What could the board do to affect change right now. Nothing I suspect.
Our current difficulties lie with how we play our day to day opposition. That is tactical and must be addressed at Lennoxtown. I have no doubt that Brendan will find a solution without too much more tinkering.

Enjoying all your points guys, also the forum in general - just joined.

The most galling thing for me is we(once again) are causing our own problems.

The club, from a position of strength, has managed to suck the life out of us in the space of a few months.

For me Lawwell, Rodgers, and obviously the players are all to blame.

Lawwell has done a lot of good, but he has a huge ego, and ultimately I don’t truly trust him.

Brendan is another that while I know he does love the club, and the fans, he is also going to make sure he doesn’t lose face, especially with Gerrard taking over the other mob.

Rodgers’ recruitment has always been a problem, also for me he isn’t streetwise enough, - it’s a fine line between being a football purist/romantic and being naive/deluded.

To have a £60 million wage bill is an absolute disgrace, not so much in itself, but because we only have about 15 players that have been bloody doing anything, and the numbers are decreasing by the day.

The club needs gutted, there are too many wage thiefs creeping about!

Guys like Lustig have been rotten for years and not replaced, and we’ve got Gamboa who plays 1 game every 6 months, completely bizarre! One of you made a good point about playing an attacking player there, - maybe Forrest, and try Lewis Morgan in front of him?

Brendan Rodgers has to really show he is a leader, and tell the players to show they deserve to play for the club.

Scott Brown has to start shouting the odds on the pitch, apart from in the huddle he doesn’t say a word, - he should be dragging the players around the pitch if he has to.

Griffiths has to start training harder, and prove he deserves to be the no1 striker, because for me he doesn’t come close to the guys I grew up watching like McAvennie and Brian McClair, never mind Sutton and Larsson.

There seems to be too many people inside the club that have delusions of grandeur y

Sorry - I posted that before I finished, anyway bottom line is the fans deserve a whole lot more than what they’re getting.

We’ll take the occasional loss of form all day long, but we’ve been bang average for about a year, and there seems to be no heart or fight. Well unless you count Griffiths telling us all that he’s no 1, incredibly after being injured/not training properly for an eternity.

Sorry Ronin but you seem to be jumping on the Griffiths bandwagon here. How does Griffiths get to be at fault when he either does not get played or does not get any service from midfield. Does Griffiths have to train harder so he can come back to the half way line to try to encourage Brown to give him the ball so he can run all the way back up the park to beat 8 men in a defensive wall? Our problems as I have said before would seem to be tactical. We have the best technical gifted squad of individuals in the country.

In regards to Griffiths, he has proved 102 times in our history that he is No 1 at the club at the moment.

Yeah I respect your opinion mate, but I’ve got to call it like I see it.

For me there’s another 20% inside Griffiths if he trained harder/lived his life better.

We all know he’s a natural, Kris Boyd has scored over 200 goals though in the SPL so you can throw stats at anything.

You only have to look at both of them to see they don’t spend much time in the gym.

I’ve been told off various people that Griffiths doesn’t put in the hard graft at Lennoxtown.

I’ve even heard other players(Celtic) say it, so for me that’s unforgivable, be cause that’s the free stuff.

The top top players show the proper dedication.

Well the facts are there to see - English clubs are hardly queuing up to buy him are they?

Yeah I respect your opinion mate, but I’ve got to call it like I see it.

For me there’s another 20% inside Griffiths if he trained harder/lived his life better.

We all know he’s a natural, Kris Boyd has scored over 200 goals though in the SPL so you can throw stats at anything.

You only have to look at both of them to see they don’t spend much time in the gym.

I’ve been told off various people that Griffiths doesn’t put in the hard graft at Lennoxtown.

I’ve even heard other players(Celtic) say it, so for me that’s unforgivable, be cause that’s the free stuff.

The top top players show the proper dedication.

Well the facts are there to see - English clubs are hardly queuing up to buy him are they?
Ronin. Cheers mate but whilst I respect your opinion it just seems as if Griff gets battered no matter what he does on the pitch. I prefer to be objective in my view. People did not like him at first because they did not know the difference between racism and xenophobia. Then they did not like that he was not Celtic minded Then it was his hair, hibbee, kids with different women. So he scores 40 goals in a season and all is forgiven (almost) then BR arrives and thinks 40 goals a year is not good enough from a striker cos he eats tunnocks cupcakes, etc etc... Brendan has given him NO GAME time in the last 18 months because he wants to change him from being a daft boy into Brendans own image, preferring him to Dembele. An amazing striker in his prime worth £20m but still could not score 40 goals. Same with Eddie who is a project.
So if you can rely on 30 goals+ a year why not play him. As TET says we are only paying this guy £18k per year. One of the lower paid players in the first team. He has proved time and time again (102 times to be exact) that he does have what it takes to play for Celtic. Just a few days ago I was reading that Lubo did not like to train. Many see him as a legend. Sorry to ramble, but regardless of BR I think this guy is going to go down in history and as I have said before I think that BR is wasting Griffiths' career. If he had been given the starts in games that Dembele had in the last 18 months I feel sure that his stats would be off the charts. Just my opinion but I like him as a footballer. BUT HE DOES NEED MORE THAN 15 MINUTE CAMEOS to become match sharp again. Maybe we would get the 20% more that you would like if he got more starts.

Last edited:
Back