SPFL a farmers league?

They were exotic creatures those Glaswegian girls, Jam!!!

Wee polka dot skirts. Stiletto's that could take an eye out at 50 paces and more make-up than Avon and House of Fraser combined.

But beyond that Amazonian beauty, it was the strange, foreign sounds eminating from them that sealed the deal for me.

"Haw, Marie.......it's pure roasting and I'm as dry as Sister Tomassina's f***y! Gaun doon tae that big lorry and git a boatle o' ginger"

About 10-minutes later would come the response:

"Michaela, they did'nae hae nae ginger, but I goat three packets o' ready saltet"

"Aye pal........that'll dae"

Glaswegian lasses..........beautiful and dehydrated!!!

This is something that we hear a lot especially from England, our league is rubbish , a farmers league that's only ever won by Celtic because the rest are just terrible also rans. You could quite easily believe that if we Celtic supporters were as ignorant of other European countries top flight leagues, for instance look at italy, Germany and Austria. Hardly what any self respecting football fan with any knowledge of the beautiful game would call an easy division to win (farmers league for short) just to prove the jealousy aimed at Celtic from english clubs who have swapped the glory of success in winning the title for cash have a gander at this wee list below
Longest current title winning runs
9 Celtic (Scotland) 2011/12–
9 Juventus (Italy) 2011/12–
9 Ludogorets Razgrad (Bulgaria) 2011/12–
8 Bayern München (Germany) 2012/13–
7 APOEL (Cyprus) 2012/13*–
7 Qarabağ (Azerbaijan) 2013/14–
7 Salzburg (Austria) 2013/14–
6 Astana (Kazakhstan) 2014–
Now I've noticed right away that farmers league with the minnows of Bayer Leverkusen Dortmund, Leipzig, Schalke (the most attended league in Europe aka the Bundesliga) which also contains the current champions of Europe Bayern Munich have just won the league for the 8th time in a row. Then theres that tin pot league serie A with clubs so rubbish that milan have only been European champions 7 times , inter 3 times and Juventus 2 times. Juventus have also like Celtic just won the league for the 9th time in a row.
Salzburg of Austria they are on 7 in a row but they're cheating by drinking red bull and now have wings so farmers league. Also carrierbag of Azerbaijan and astana-dalone of Kazakhstan on the border of Europe where Europe borders china and Mongolia (aye big place Europe) theyre on 7 and 6 respectively but I'm not going to count them because they are as much part of europe as the moon is part of castlemilk but we can count APOEL Nicosia of Cyprus they're on 7in a row. Also dont require Elon musk or space x just to play the away leg. Anyway the Point is that we are not given credit for our achievements because the league is so bad that anyone called Glasgow Celtic will win it, but Hansi Flick over to the European champions 8 in a row and it's a different story. Same with the old lady of Turin, Juventus always win it because milan the 2nd most successful European club ever are shite as are inter , lazio and Roma. Its 100% jealousy from the English who don't like it that they only have money but no trophies and many have no history in europe either. They think It's so competitive in England because no club has ever won the championship 2 years running 😜 thats the intelligence you're dealing with jealousy , crazy or what
Football in England is not about football it's about money some premier league teams will cost between 700 to 1250 for a season ticket up to 10,000 for hospitality a one off game £70 to £120 thier sponsorship deals because of the games on SKY etc bring in millions plus concession around the sites,you can see how they can pay so much for players,having said that our record against English teamsis good if not excellent none want to come to Celtic park unless it's a friendly,the result of all this is to price grass root supporters out of the game this also has the knock on effect of them losing interest in the game no longer able to take thier children to games to encourage them to play,many a Dad back in the day wanted thier child to play for the local team not now this is why the few good younger players are being chased by the money teams clubs down south change hands for millions not for a penny like some in Scotland,the future for the game hangs in the balance for some teams both sides of the border

Football in England is not about football it's about money some premier league teams will cost between 700 to 1250 for a season ticket up to 10,000 for hospitality a one off game £70 to £120 thier sponsorship deals because of the games on SKY etc bring in millions plus concession around the sites,you can see how they can pay so much for players,having said that our record against English teamsis good if not excellent none want to come to Celtic park unless it's a friendly,the result of all this is to price grass root supporters out of the game this also has the knock on effect of them losing interest in the game no longer able to take thier children to games to encourage them to play,many a Dad back in the day wanted thier child to play for the local team not now this is why the few good younger players are being chased by the money teams clubs down south change hands for millions not for a penny like some in Scotland,the future for the game hangs in the balance for some teams both sides of the border
You've also got wee boys under the age of 10 whose families are being offered relative fortunes in the hope that they might one day kick a ball in anger?

It's an absolute disgrace, but accepted as common practice down there now.

I'm sure there was a story of an 8 or 9-year old that Man City signed to their academy and the whole package amounted to a couple of million.

What does any of that actually have to do with sport?

It's akin to human trafficking really.......

Last edited:
You've also got wee boys under the age of 10 whose families are being offered relative fortunes in the hope that they might one day kick a ball in anger?

It's an absolute disgrace, but accepted as common practice down there now.

I'm sure there was a story of an 8 or 9-year old that Man City signed to their academy and the whole package amounted to a couple of million.

What does any of that actually have to do with sport?

It's akin to human trafficking really.......
The other staggering point is how much some of the big teams are in dept take Man Unt 450 million and still spending millions on players the mind boggles,yes they have assets to set against but it's still a tremendous risk ???

''English'' Football is a misnomer .
Ever since the Premier League began in 1992 it has been gradually taken over by ''foreigners'' , including Scots .
No English coach has ever won their OWN league title ! ( but Ferguson and Dalglish have ! )
Their best players are foreigners !

Most of the owners of these English clubs are foreigners ( many are no more than criminals with large bank balances ) !

They have broken their ties with local supporters in favour of serving the egos of their corrupt owners ! ( even changing the traditional colour of their strips in some cases to placate a superstitious owner )

Many have more ''fans'' overseas than at home - ''fans '' who will never see ''their''club in live action !

They have sold their souls ( and traditions ) to the TV companies and in doing so diminished some of their great tournaments - the FA Cup is treated with contempt by some clubs , who play reserve teams until/if they get to the latter stages .

Scottish Football has its faults but , hopefully , we , the ordinary supporters , still have more connection with our clubs than those down south .

HH

The other staggering point is how much some of the big teams are in dept take Man Unt 450 million and still spending millions on players the mind boggles,yes they have assets to set against but it's still a tremendous risk ???
The Glazers hawked themselves and the club up to the eyeballs and have just aboot got away wie it, but the pressure is on now with Liverpool becoming a force again and the bottomless pit at City throwing insane sums of money around.

Like Celtic, second is nowhere to Man Utd and it looks like they might want to have another crack at bringing in big names, big fees and big salaries to try and turn it around.

We were told the huns were too big to die and look how that worked out?

''English'' Football is a misnomer .
Ever since the Premier League began in 1992 it has been gradually taken over by ''foreigners'' , including Scots .
No English coach has ever won their OWN league title ! ( but Ferguson and Dalglish have ! )
Their best players are foreigners !

Most of the owners of these English clubs are foreigners ( many are no more than criminals with large bank balances ) !

They have broken their ties with local supporters in favour of serving the egos of their corrupt owners ! ( even changing the traditional colour of their strips in some cases to placate a superstitious owner )

Many have more ''fans'' overseas than at home - ''fans '' who will never see ''their''club in live action !

They have sold their souls ( and traditions ) to the TV companies and in doing so diminished some of their great tournaments - the FA Cup is treated with contempt by some clubs , who play reserve teams until/if they get to the latter stages .

Scottish Football has its faults but , hopefully , we , the ordinary supporters , still have more connection with our clubs than those down south .

HH
It's changing a wee bit, Millsy. There are Americans pulling the shots at both Dundee clubs and is there no an American who is a major shareholder at Hibs?

We've got DD as well, but the huns appear to be taking a buck from any foreigner who cares to launder their money (for a small fee of course).

I doubt it will ever get to be like the red-light district of the EPL, but there have been some subtle changes.

Where would Man City and Chelsea be without the Arab and Russian money laundering exercises?
It's incredible to think it but true that neither man city or Chelsea were in the top flight at the start of the millennium, both were second tier clubs. Man city gained promotion to the top flight (2002) and Chelsea (2005) when the foreign investors cash started flowing in.

Last edited:
Chelsea have just bought a player for 89 million.that says it all
They also paid £71.6 million for the goalie Kepa Arrizabalaga (I'll just call jim kepa what a mouthful ) making him the worlds most expensive goalkeeper ever. Now kepa is lucky to get a game his form was so bad, that Lampard has gone with man city reject willy caballero especially in the last champions league latter stages. That's gross that amount of money to warm the bench. I'd guess quite a few got rich(er) off the back of that deal. There really should be a cap on transfer amounts, it's a scam I'm positive of it but fifa/UEFA and governments wont stop it because they earn from it.

The Championship and Leagues one and two are budget capped on thier squad players the Premier league appears to have no such restrictions,it just makes a mockery of it all,if you look at Chelsea's season ticket and hospitality prices not a club for the working family with kids,gone are the days of the man in the street following thier team,simply because they can't afford it two home games in a week cost over £120 know some guys only go too 2/3 games in a season for that reason and the are in good jobs but can't justify the çost

It's incredible to think it but true that neither man city or Chelsea were in the top flight at the start of the millennium, both were second tier clubs. Man city gained promotion to the top flight (2002) and Chelsea (2005) when the foreign investors cash started flowing in.
Some of man utds titles obviously don't count then if man city wisnae in the same division. Hahaha, HH

If you can trap and pass a rag ba', then you can trap and pass a size 5, Lemon.

I'd just like to see bairns playing football full stop.......that would at least be a start. Get them aff they feckin phones and consoles and get them chasing dirt and eating worms like normal bairns did!
Bang on SP when I was a waen at primary school we had THREE football teams, the A team , made up of primary 7s and some younger kids from primary 6, the B team made up of primary 6 kids with some primary 5 kids, and a C team made up of primary 5 kids and some younger primary 4s. The idea was a conveyor belt that would see the waens introduced to league and cup fitba at an early age (there was schools leagues for A,B&C teams) you would progress through every year if good enough. I started in the C team and was occasionally a sub for the older boys B team , then once in the B team the same , occasionally a sub for the A team and that system worked fantastically, every school had at least an A and B side. Every year there would be trials for the A team that younger primary 6 kids played in with the older kids , play well and you were in despite your age or size. Even after that when primary school had concluded there was a 'guild's ' team made up of primary 7s and 1st year secondary pupils. From there you would get a trial for Glasgow united of good enough. This is the system players like john Spencer and others came through , and went on to play for Chelsea, and the huns, there are others whose names I cant remember right now but they were names youd have heard of. That ladder system worked back then. Nowadays with the PVG checks required for anyone who wants to work with children that system either isnt viable or people see it as too much hassle not to mention you must pay the polis for them to issue a piece of paper saying that you are a suitable person and not a criminal. You shouldn't have to pay the polis for them to say you're not a criminal or potential beast but events in football with abused kids have made it so. The coach and manager when I played school and guilds fitba worked voluntarily and werent paid anything. They would provide the mini bus for our away games and the chapel would fund raise for new strips etc when required. Now I'm talking mid 70s to late 80s and Scotland produced players of real quality thanks to these systems. Now ? You're lucky if some schools even have 1 football team. We ignored the grass roots of our game and as a result we have and still are paying the price. The young kids that Bayern and blackburn are poaching from us , some arent turned 14 yet but still they are being offered a lot of money to leave Celtic academy and move to another academy it's not right the pressure put on these kids , we were aiming for Glasgow utd where you might be talent spotted and get signed on an s form for clyde etc , pat nevin for example. We all know it but I'll still say it "money has ruined the game" it's not about fun anymore for kids it's about how much can a club make from this kid. Even KT signed for our academy at a very young age under 10 was it? Cant remember but you get the picture.

Chelsea got promoted to the top flight in 1989 and win the European Cup Winners Cup about 1998. Their team had signed players like Gullit, Zola, Vialli, Lebouf, etc, but had run up out-of-control huge debts paying for them. However, I agree with your sentiments about them buying success with other people's money.

Had the discussion about this exact topic with my mate today (chelsea fan). I was discussing the possibility of ntcham swapping the chance to become immortal, as part of the team that won the 10, with making a bit more cash and less recognition at Brighton. I asked my mate would he rather be known for 100 years all over the world or be an also ran that no one will remember in 10 years. After having to educate him on the size of the celtic support worldwide (he had no idea) I had to listen to him telling me that it would be boring for the players at celtic...i was asked would I rather play against de bruyne or McTavish from Ross County. I told him I'd rather be playing for one of the biggest clubs on the world in front of 60000 fans and being idolised than idolising my opponent. He then told me the scottish league is shite. I asked him how many scottish games he had caught over the years.....exactly...fuck all. I told him he should maybe have a wee watch...yes we havent got a league full of barcas and PSGs but we do have a league full of players that play because they love the game and just want to play...unlike his shitty league full of money grabbing journeymen who give no fucks about which jersey they pull on and which fans they represent. Its not their fault though. Their game has been destroyed. Their bragging rights a created on the back of who has spent more money, not by the trophies they've won.

As soon as the ald man and dear left for work, it was a mass congregation o' bairns fae all over, Jam.

All the different sports, doon the big cundies and into the sewers, dens in the ald hooses, oot to the berries for some pocket money and to terrorise the animals. The berries were great during the Glasgow Fair.........the wee Glasgow lassies would be dressed up to the nines and sashaying doon the berry dreels like they were the catwalks of Paris or Milan. Awww man......I loved those days!!!
Loved going to the berries tae SP. Growing up in Kirkton ye could walk to the berry fields at Bentlys. There was even a bogie going aboot Balgowan Avenue that would take people up Emmock road. Great days

Had the discussion about this exact topic with my mate today (chelsea fan). I was discussing the possibility of ntcham swapping the chance to become immortal, as part of the team that won the 10, with making a bit more cash and less recognition at Brighton. I asked my mate would he rather be known for 100 years all over the world or be an also ran that no one will remember in 10 years. After having to educate him on the size of the celtic support worldwide (he had no idea) I had to listen to him telling me that it would be boring for the players at celtic...i was asked would I rather play against de bruyne or McTavish from Ross County. I told him I'd rather be playing for one of the biggest clubs on the world in front of 60000 fans and being idolised than idolising my opponent. He then told me the scottish league is shite. I asked him how many scottish games he had caught over the years.....exactly...fuck all. I told him he should maybe have a wee watch...yes we havent got a league full of barcas and PSGs but we do have a league full of players that play because they love the game and just want to play...unlike his shitty league full of money grabbing journeymen who give no fucks about which jersey they pull on and which fans they represent. Its not their fault though. Their game has been destroyed. Their bragging rights a created on the back of who has spent more money, not by the trophies they've won.
Telt him Lubo! EPL is a feckin Frankenstein league, wi frankenstein clubs,filled wi' mercenaries who don't give a mhunkeys, about fan's or tradition 🍺 🥳

Great to hear from you again, Lemon, hope you and the wee lass are doing well, mate.

Funny you should mention that........one of the renowned horticulturists in Dundee is apparently trying some arable farming out by Tullybaccart.

It seems that there's a decided lack of halogen heaters, hydroponics and tinfoil in Dundee at the moment, but there's a new hole in the ozone layer that's aboot the size of Perth and Kinross.

It must be some size o' fish tank?
That's the spirit we need more doing it anyway cause of vivid it fucked things for getting about

This is something that we hear a lot especially from England, our league is rubbish , a farmers league that's only ever won by Celtic because the rest are just terrible also rans. You could quite easily believe that if we Celtic supporters were as ignorant of other European countries top flight leagues, for instance look at italy, Germany and Austria. Hardly what any self respecting football fan with any knowledge of the beautiful game would call an easy division to win (farmers league for short) just to prove the jealousy aimed at Celtic from english clubs who have swapped the glory of success in winning the title for cash have a gander at this wee list below
Longest current title winning runs
9 Celtic (Scotland) 2011/12–
9 Juventus (Italy) 2011/12–
9 Ludogorets Razgrad (Bulgaria) 2011/12–
8 Bayern München (Germany) 2012/13–
7 APOEL (Cyprus) 2012/13*–
7 Qarabağ (Azerbaijan) 2013/14–
7 Salzburg (Austria) 2013/14–
6 Astana (Kazakhstan) 2014–
Now I've noticed right away that farmers league with the minnows of Bayer Leverkusen Dortmund, Leipzig, Schalke (the most attended league in Europe aka the Bundesliga) which also contains the current champions of Europe Bayern Munich have just won the league for the 8th time in a row. Then theres that tin pot league serie A with clubs so rubbish that milan have only been European champions 7 times , inter 3 times and Juventus 2 times. Juventus have also like Celtic just won the league for the 9th time in a row.
Salzburg of Austria they are on 7 in a row but they're cheating by drinking red bull and now have wings so farmers league. Also carrierbag of Azerbaijan and astana-dalone of Kazakhstan on the border of Europe where Europe borders china and Mongolia (aye big place Europe) theyre on 7 and 6 respectively but I'm not going to count them because they are as much part of europe as the moon is part of castlemilk but we can count APOEL Nicosia of Cyprus they're on 7in a row. Also dont require Elon musk or space x just to play the away leg. Anyway the Point is that we are not given credit for our achievements because the league is so bad that anyone called Glasgow Celtic will win it, but Hansi Flick over to the European champions 8 in a row and it's a different story. Same with the old lady of Turin, Juventus always win it because milan the 2nd most successful European club ever are shite as are inter , lazio and Roma. Its 100% jealousy from the English who don't like it that they only have money but no trophies and many have no history in europe either. They think It's so competitive in England because no club has ever won the championship 2 years running 😜 thats the intelligence you're dealing with jealousy , crazy or what
Well said. And Oh so true, but the true jealousy is home grown. The 👨‍🌾 from Govanish.

Chelsea got promoted to the top flight in 1989 and win the European Cup Winners Cup about 1998. Their team had signed players like Gullit, Zola, Vialli, Lebouf, etc, but had run up out-of-control huge debts paying for them. However, I agree with your sentiments about them buying success with other people's money.
Aye 88/89 they won the old 2nd division (I was just waiting BB to see who would notice first) ahem ahem 😆

Members online

Latest posts

Back