St Mirren v Celtic Fan Commentary Thread

Looks like it's going to be another season of ups and downs and which Celtic team will turn up. Don't think I can watch all that again without taking blood pressure medication. HH

We dont appear to have a plan B when teams defend like that against us. That is down to BR to sort out and really he should know better by now.

Why does it take so long to show some urgency? Nobody can pass a ball to a team mate over an inch off the ground!

No imagination going forward, no one making runs to pass to, no one capable of a defence splitting pass.

Too many of these performances which is exactly why the transfer window was such a disaster.

Team looks bored playing together. Like a 5-a-side game where you aren't allowed to score. Could've played for another year and still wouldn't have got a goal.

Absolutely shocking standard of refereeing is also destroying the whole Scottish game. Times when players had head in hands at decisions being made.

Pure fucking shite all round.

Our defence has an easy night, sitting back and taking it easy, we needed them to push up and play passes in behind St. Mirren’s first defensive line, rather than balls into Rogic and McGregor’s feet with thier backs to the opposition. The centre backs didn’t take enough risks to help create something, and Ntcham being sent off only made things worse.

Dreadful first half. No penetration, too many backward passes, players looking like they can't be bothered. If it's the playing system hard lines because we might be stuck with it for the second half now that Ntcham has spat the dummy out of the pram.

What was his first half display all about? Absolutely disgraceful. Every pass, misplaced. And a petulant attitude which defies belief. We made only a couple of chances. Gordon has been the busier keeper. The manager has some hard thinking, and hard talking, to do at the break; fortunately I think this is where Brendan really earns his coin.

But this slow build up system ... when are we going to learn? I know what it's designed to do, but actually it does the opposite thing. It doesn't draw opponents out - they are too savvy for that, even here in Scotland. What it does do is it gives the opposition all the time in the world to organise their defence. it's shockingly counter-productive.
Slow passing , negative passing, tonight was an absolute abomination from Celtic , there are no excuses that can be put forward to absolve this team . Disgraceful doesn't cover it . We got what we deserved , not the "point " that we gained but the two that we lost . Brendan said after the shit results we had last year that he was going to drill into the players that those kind of performances were not acceptable.....well ? Did he forget ? Tonights performance was worse than anything I witnessed last season.?

Our defence has an easy night, sitting back and taking it easy, we needed them to push up and play passes in behind St. Mirren’s first defensive line, rather than balls into Rogic and McGregor’s feet with thier backs to the opposition. The centre backs didn’t take enough risks to help create something, and Ntcham being sent off only made things worse.

TBH, the defence were abysmal in the 1st half. St Mirren sat off in the second after changes made. Ajer on the wing? Jesus wept!

St Mirren get 10/10 for pure effort.

We get 0/10.

Do the player get a bonus if the complete 5 yard pass sideways?

The defence have no midfield to pass to so side back side back.

No proper movement in offence. Always pass to static man. Touch slow it down then back to defence.

Do they really think St Mirren are gonna come out of they keep passing sideways.

Our players appear to man mark when we got the ball.
But then look for space when they get the ball.

Very seldom any kind of direct dangerous crosses.
Lots of head down charge no looking drilled crosses.
But if thats pre planned where is the bloke trying to get onto the pre planned drill.

Look to me like they want St mirren to be the red sea and just part at the command of Moses.
Except Moses wasn't actually playing.

Dire performance going forward.

Im pretty sure Huns direct garbage would have won that game by a couple goals even with 10. This system way play is high risk defending at times but always low risk attacking and pass rather than shoot lads. I like the 3 yard pass sideways best. Bonus for all 3 yard side passes. Extra bonus is you stay in your own half while doing 3 yard sideways passes.

I know it was with 10 men. But the efficiency of our passes is woeful and the guy we have who ever consistently shoots is dangerous from every freeckick and can pass the ball from corners is hardly ever first choice.

Easy to moan after the fact. But that was gash.

Sorry but Dallas by name and Dallas by nature how one sided was his refeing we should have beat them even with 10 men ,our play was very slow at times one we lost

St.Mirrensimplyworked harder and wanted it more which is shameful. Too manyplayers happy to sit back and let usual suspects try to force tge play...Tirrney and Forrest mainly. Hate to see players taking 3-4 touchess whennot needed or squaer passing.

Jock used to say if you score more goals than the opposition you have nothing to worry from reffs etc.
Our biggest worry is can Rodgers actually change a game with his game changes I have my doubts . McGregor was a ghost Rogic was poor so why was Mulumba not tried I think If blame has to be applied its to Rodgers

We have little width in the team. The formation and players we play is what you need in Europe, flood the midfield and try to keep possession. Domestically, especially against teams who play deep and are well organised we need to play with width. Almost every attack tonight came through the middle which made it easy to defend. We have wide players in abundance, as well as attacking fullbacks, but play with 4 central midfielders, one winger and one striker against a team who don’t even try to attack (even against 10 men). Rogic or McGregor not both, choose 2 from Forrest, Sinclair, Morgan or Johnston. Sinclair has gone from our most likely source of goals, score or create, to not even getting on the pitch. Even last season when he was meant to have been poor he was our top scorer.

Do the player get a bonus if the complete 5 yard pass sideways?

The defence have no midfield to pass to so side back side back.

No proper movement in offence. Always pass to static man. Touch slow it down then back to defence.

Do they really think St Mirren are gonna come out of they keep passing sideways.

Our players appear to man mark when we got the ball.
But then look for space when they get the ball.

Very seldom any kind of direct dangerous crosses.
Lots of head down charge no looking drilled crosses.
But if thats pre planned where is the bloke trying to get onto the pre planned drill.

Look to me like they want St mirren to be the red sea and just part at the command of Moses.
Except Moses wasn't actually playing.

Dire performance going forward.

Im pretty sure Huns direct garbage would have won that game by a couple goals even with 10. This system way play is high risk defending at times but always low risk attacking and pass rather than shoot lads. I like the 3 yard pass sideways best. Bonus for all 3 yard side passes. Extra bonus is you stay in your own half while doing 3 yard sideways passes.

I know it was with 10 men. But the efficiency of our passes is woeful and the guy we have who ever consistently shoots is dangerous from every freeckick and can pass the ball from corners is hardly ever first choice.

Easy to moan after the fact. But that was gash.
You're correct about there being very little movement off the ball to find space. HH

personally id like to see a traditional 442 occasionally but think thats not the brendan way.

besides he won 2 trebles i have never managed a team in my life

We were shit, blame the ref and paper over the cracks. 65% possession? 2 shots on target. Mince
Agreed, right from the off, when the guy barreled into KT and got booked, they showed they meant business
You have to set the tone, by 'winning the first tackle'
Broony did well ,but some of the others, didn't look 'up for it'
Teams will have a go at us and try to set the pace from the kickoff with boots flying, we just have to show the same intent & controlled aggression
I'd start Griffths right from the 'off' he's been our talisman for years, he knows where the net is
Maybe him and Eduarde to play off each other
Give Mulumbu a shot he'll be out to prove he can do it week in, week out, for the Champions
BROONY IS THE MAN !!!
HH

Back