St Mirren v Celtic - Wednesday 16 September - all comments here

Livvy on Saturday will be even more defensive than St Mirren tonight so the manager needs to pick a team that will play with speed and intensity and create more chances than we have been in most games this season. So far this season we are resembling Lennon's team of 13/14, lots of talented forward players but with a lack of creativity in midfield and turgid to watch.

There have been a lot of us saying for a long time that he needs a good number two (no, I'm not saying he has been constipated). I believe he needs help to share the strain and tell him when he needs to rethink his strategy or tactics!
A coach with attacking experience might help. Lenny Defensive mid. Kennedy Centre back, Strachan defensive mid. O'Dea Centre half and McManus centre half. Even the head of football operations was a goalkeeper. Despite all that we can't press as a unit and defend set pieces dreadfully. I can't actually get my head round it, makes no sense. We are probably slightly better attacking than defending. F-ing enigma stuff

We need Griff back fit..Elhamed was poor but he hardly plays and Taylor just brings nothing to the party..Brown is so far off the pace ..It was brutal to watch tbh..We need to keep a settled team so everyone knows what they are doing..We have had too many poor performances so far this season..We have the players so its up to the management to find best way to play with the best personnel ..In Lennon we trust :).....We have slowly got away from the silky football of the Rat

Might see more,if somebody would pass the ba' tae him! 🍺 🥳

He rarely had a ball passed to him. :unsure:

Well I'm no on the pitch to pass it to him troops so I don't know whit tae tell ye! ;)

He was on the fringes of the play the whole time he was on the pitch, maybe needs to take up better positions or move better off the ball to take a pass because he was nowhere in that game tonight.

Like I said way too early to judge the bhoy but if naebody is passing to him then they must see a better option for the pass so it's up to him to make himself the better option.

A coach with attacking experience might help. Lenny Defensive mid. Kennedy Centre back, Strachan defensive mid. O'Dea Centre half and McManus centre half. Even the head of football operations was a goalkeeper. Despite all that we can't press as a unit and defend set pieces dreadfully. I can't actually get my head round it, makes no sense. We are probably slightly better attacking than defending. F-ing enigma stuff
Lots of excellent attacking players but we can't seem to work out how to use them most effectively. Play people in their best positions. And press/defend properly as a team.

We actually started firing in some good crosses towards the end of the first half then for some bizarre reason ceased this tactic in the second half.

Last edited:
With some exceptions, they don't want to press, they don't want to defend, they don't want to beat a man, they don't want to shoot. Is it them or the management tactics?

There never seem to be game-changing decisions from the management team, which I presume has its coaching badges, so does that mean there is nothing done at training that would change a game (eg tactics and clever set pieces).

I would also presume that the coaching courses teach tactics and that there is no internet embargo that stops them finding out more about tactics. How can they play the same up, across and back ad nauseum every game!

I know as much about tactics as I know about other galaxies but I would be doing my damnedest to learn about them if I were to manage a football club.

Is Lennon sitting there thinking that these performances are fantastic and outstanding or is he just saying that BS for the media huns?

There is also the lack of fans but I would have thought that players who earn more in a month (or a week) than many of the supporters earn in a year ought to be able to motivate themselves without fans being there.

Lots of excellent attacking players but we can't seem to workbout how to use them most effectively. Play people in their best positions. And press/defend properly as a team.

We actually started firing in some good crosses towards the end of the first half then for some bizarre reason ceased this tactic in the second half.
Might be a bit rusty after not using 3-5-2 for so long but the pressing is pointless unless it's done as a unit. Totally agree, by end of first half and for first few minutes (calmac chance) second half I thought..here we go. Just ran out of ideas and shape disintegrated.
Time yet to get a team focussed and settled. I wonder if Lenny saw the Covid effect and gambled with giving a few periphery players a run out. Result wise it worked, but for consistency in a season already stop start that's a gamble

If I had the say in what to do with Klamala it would definitely be to get him out on loan.
I personally dont think it would improve him because I think he is as good now as he will ever be,but he deserves a chance to prove me wrong,and I would love for that to happen,but somehow I dont see it happening.
Somebody at Parkhead needs to be pulled into a wee room and told to get their act together as regards to what they are advising Lawwell to sign..
Where are you Griff ???

HH
klimala plays a bit like Griff but without the tik tok ,,,,on the shoulder ,,,he's not suited to the side ways passing trying to walk it into the net

How best to play against a 10 man defence? They packed the centre and we passed the ball from side to side at the halfway mark hoping that a gaping hole would open up for a slide rule wonder pass. It never did. Modern defences are well drilled. Both our goals came from crosses and headers. I would suggest passing the ball to a player on the edge of the penalty box with his back to goal. He might be cut down and we then get a favourable free kick or the option of a cutback to the original player for a shot from 20-25 yards whilst the keeper is unsighted. We also have to generate more set pieces for then we can bring up our aerial threats. We have to go over, around or through such a defence. We cannot go under. Over requires astonishing accuracy and a well timed run. Around needs fast wingers and full backs. Through needs one touch wall passes and moving forwards drawing defenders aside. It's a simple game really. Too often our attackers are still and static. That is easy to defend. I would suggest that our defence is playing for openings that are NOW. I'd suggest that they play for openings that will COME. We need to tempt players to foul our forwards and for our forwards to be constantly moving.

There have been a lot of us saying for a long time that he needs a good number two (no, I'm not saying he has been constipated). I believe he needs help to share the strain and tell him when he needs to rethink his strategy or tactics!
Aye someone to say ''get out that feckin seat and get a fire under there arses '' knock that slouching about arms folded shite on the head

Back