St Mirren v Celtic - Wednesday 16 September - all comments here

Might be a bit rusty after not using 3-5-2 for so long but the pressing is pointless unless it's done as a unit. Totally agree, by end of first half and for first few minutes (calmac chance) second half I thought..here we go. Just ran out of ideas and shape disintegrated.
Time yet to get a team focussed and settled. I wonder if Lenny saw the Covid effect and gambled with giving a few periphery players a run out. Result wise it worked, but for consistency in a season already stop start that's a gamble

I know I keep saying it but 3-5-2 just won't work if you're constantly chopping and changing the back three and you have no proper wing backs.

A solid defensive unit needs to gel and build an understanding with each other but that will never happen when it randomly changes personnel from one game to the next and if you're going to use WB's then they need to be actual WB's and not LB's or RW's who lack either the attacking or defensive ability to do the job.

Don't know how many times the point has to be driven home that Taylor, who is a very competent LB, lacks the attacking capabilities to play as a WB and that the opposite is true of Forrest and Frimpong on the right before the management finally get the message.

I'd ditch this 3 at the back and WB nonsense in a heartbeat right now, it's leaving us exposed at the back and it's sucking the life out of our attacking play. There's no balance or cohesion to this team right now and it's this system and the constant rotation of players from one game to the next that's at the root of it.

Who was our man of the match the night?...................anybody? 🍺 🥳
It gives me no pleasure at all to honestly say that I can't think of anyone who played well enough to be deserving of MotM. Good luck tonight Sandman as I genuinely don't think anyone deserves more than 6 out of 10. Too many Celts struggled to get going tonight (on and off the pitch) but at least we got 3 points!

Aye someone to say ''get out that feckin seat and get a fire under there arses '' knock that slouching about arms folded shite on the head
for a manger who was a defensively aware midfielder he seems to have no defensive awareness as a manager and allows our best passers to drift too far forward congesting their half so much miles away from the defence who I assume are our midfield and defence since they need to spray 40 yard passes often (and badly)

how do you tire out a rugged defensive line?

stand next to them so they dont need to run about too often waiting for 40 yard passes to feet that our best midfielders would struggle to make that often never mind no nonsense centre half. I would suggest not.

We sign Duffy to play a beckenbauer role.

we sign Taylor to play like moravcik

we turn bitton and ajar into centre backs

we turn wingers into inside forwards

we turn centre mids into shadow strikers

and we wonder why our 5 million+ strikers dont get many shots in game

right tactics today

low balls to Duffy ajer and high as possible to frimpong and Taylor

and if I ever see you christie forrest or elyounousi ever looking before you pass randomly then your dropped.

apart from that guys fantastic 10 out of 10 couldn't ask any more, world class,

oh and barkas im trying you out as centre forward next week with 5 other centre forwards at same time

dont really see much point in having a keeper we are that good.

Think it's maybe a wee bit to early to make a judgement on Klimala GS but if I'm being honest I forgot he was on the pitch first half, had no impact on the game whatsoever.
Klimala got no service whatsoever in 1st half. He made many runs but nothing came. That guy is good. Only way he would have got a pass in 1st half is if he was alongside Duffy.

I know I keep saying it but 3-5-2 just won't work if you're constantly chopping and changing the back three and you have no proper wing backs.

A solid defensive unit needs to gel and build an understanding with each other but that will never happen when it randomly changes personnel from one game to the next and if you're going to use WB's then they need to be actual WB's and not LB's or RW's who lack either the attacking or defensive ability to do the job.

Don't know how many times the point has to be driven home that Taylor, who is a very competent LB, lacks the attacking capabilities to play as a WB and that the opposite is true of Forrest and Frimpong on the right before the management finally get the message.

I'd ditch this 3 at the back and WB nonsense in a heartbeat right now, it's leaving us exposed at the back and it's sucking the life out of our attacking play. There's no balance or cohesion to this team right now and it's this system and the constant rotation of players from one game to the next that's at the root of it.
Totally agree shadow but don't particularly like the 4,2,3,1,either. Give us a 44 2 and see how it goes .
532 should only be used if your wing backs are gonna hit the byline and get baws in ( which disnae happen wi us), and we should be as much as possible now wi big Shane gobbling those corners up.still want 2 up top but so far nobody gives us what Griffiths does. Hopefully the yeti will but don't hold out too much hope for paddy I'm afraid HH

Klimala got no service whatsoever in 1st half. He made many runs but nothing came. That guy is good. Only way he would have got a pass in 1st half is if he was alongside Duffy.

Like I said mate far too early to judge the bhoy and that was the point I was making to GS. I did forget he was on the pitch though as he made such little impact on the game.

Aye I'd agree the lack of service played a part in that but if he's not getting the service he needs then he needs to be more vocal with his teammates or go looking for the ball more if he wants to stay in contention.

There are 4 strikers (when Griff gets back) going for 2 slots so lack of service or not he can't afford too many games like tonight's where he's playing on the fringes.

Well I'm no on the pitch to pass it to him troops so I don't know whit tae tell ye! ;)

He was on the fringes of the play the whole time he was on the pitch, maybe needs to take up better positions or move better off the ball to take a pass because he was nowhere in that game tonight.

Like I said way too early to judge the bhoy but if naebody is passing to him then they must see a better option for the pass so it's up to him to make himself the better option.
The only one they would pass to was Edouard, even though there was always two men marking him.

Unless Lenny knows something we don't, or unless there is an injury - then the central defence is the one area you don't want to plester aboot wie.

If he's intending on going with three at the back, then he's going to have to play them as a unit until such time that form is so poor that a change might be needed.

For all my talk about squad rotation, there are certain things you don't change unless you absolutely have to. The heart of the defence is probably that area for us. I like Elhamed, but he got caught in that sour spot between full-back and centre-half last night and was neither/or.

Fukkit........this is gonna be a long, stressful season.

Well, it's yet another win but I can't for the life of me see any improvement in this team!

Brown doesn't just need to be dropped; he needs to be dropped from a great height. He's booked yet again and despite being slower than Sammy the Sloth he sees out the 90mins! His lack of pace is being joined with a lack of a yard in his head now. The only good thing I can see on the horizon regarding him is that he'll pick up a ban shortly and Turnbull will get his chance.

Taylor, bless his little cotton socks, runs as fast as he can all over the place and his commitment to the cause can never be questioned but unfortunately, he just isn't good enough.

Forrest was (despite his goal) utterly woeful. Yes, I know it's all about goals, but I reckon we might've scored more without him last night.

Christie's deliveries into the box were (Forrest's lay on apart) pretty bad but he wasn't the worst on the park by any means.

El Hamed....? Nuff said.

We need this clusterfuck sorted as soon as possible.

I understand that when we win on Saturday we'll go top but I'm judging us against our overall play rather than results. If we continue in this manner we'll get handed our arses in the first Glasgow derby of the season.

HH

ps

Sorry if I'm depressing the crap out of anyone this morning but I needed to vent! 🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

The last time Lennon was in charge, especially nearing the end, the football was painful to watch. This is why I didn't want him to get the job a second time. Ok he's a Celtic man and all that and he steadied the ship when the rat fucked off, but it seems we're back to where he was the last time.
I honestly think he's makin it up as he goes along.

Why won't Lennon make subs earlier?
And is there no one else in the fuckin team other than Christie to hit a free kick. He does my fuckin nut in. About one in every ten is delivered to the right area.
Cal mac and the corner for Duffys goal v Ross county, if you are not to going to shoot with a free kick then a corner taker is good enough to swing a ball in.

As a op-ed to the general downbeat tone.

We won whilst being mince at a ground where we've been known to struggle. We have a clearer idea of who can/can't play where. We scored two headed goals. Big Shane gets more game time.

Aw bollocks........positivity is giving me headache.

We don't look sharp or incisive enough. Only wee Frimps plays at full tilt and we looked slow and cumbersome. There still has to be movement when you go sideways strolling, but too many lads are admiring their 5-yard pass to a teammate and thinking about their stats.

It doesn't look like we're overly difficult to defend against, especially when we try to play through teams. Eddy's head seems turned and I'd take wee Taylor for a rearguard action, but he's not an attacking full-back.

Lenny might have adjusted the formation, but it's still football-by-numbers. He can argue that the end result is all that matters, but we will get our arses felt on a few occasions if we don't up our game.

Movement and pace are almost impossible to defend against and we seem stuck someplace between first and second gear. I hope it's due to the lengthy lay-off, but we should have adapted by now and we don't want to be dependent on that mobs arses fainting after Christmas again.

Totally agree with Niall on the Turnbull situation too. The laddie was just building up a wee head of steam, but without regular gametime - it's likely that he is going to stall and become susceptible to niggling injuries. Lenny has a decision to make with Turnbull and he has to make it pretty quickly.

Just one other note.

I don't think Barkas was badly at fault for their goal, but why haven't we learned to put players on the back stick at corners?

Corpus was just in the way when the ball broke and if a keeper can't clear out one forward from a set-piece, then he's no read the instruction manual which clearly states "clatter any cunt in your way".

It's not conceding goals I have a problem with, it's conceding preventable goals that really piss me off.

As a op-ed to the general downbeat tone.

We won whilst being mince at a ground where we've been known to struggle. We have a clearer idea of who can/can't play where. We scored two headed goals. Big Shane gets more game time.

Aw bollocks........positivity is giving me headache.

We don't look sharp or incisive enough. Only wee Frimps plays at full tilt and we looked slow and cumbersome. There still has to be movement when you go sideways strolling, but too many lads are admiring their 5-yard pass to a teammate and thinking about their stats.

It doesn't look like we're overly difficult to defend against, especially when we try to play through teams. Eddy's head seems turned and I'd take wee Taylor for a rearguard action, but he's not an attacking full-back.

Lenny might have adjusted the formation, but it's still football-by-numbers. He can argue that the end result is all that matters, but we will get our arses felt on a few occasions if we don't up our game.

Movement and pace are almost impossible to defend against and we seem stuck someplace between first and second gear. I hope it's due to the lengthy lay-off, but we should have adapted by now and we don't want to be dependent on that mobs arses fainting after Christmas again.

Totally agree with Niall on the Turnbull situation too. The laddie was just building up a wee head of steam, but without regular gametime - it's likely that he is going to stall and become susceptible to niggling injuries. Lenny has a decision to make with Turnbull and he has to make it pretty quickly.
Turnbull and Broon half games each and both will gain fitness, a full half is worth its weight in gold compared to ten minutes, but hey theres also a change we were not aware of the team are allowed full access to Lennoxtown which is a significant factor in how players get to gel off the park.
The team were turning up and straight onto the pitch, this would have setback Paddy and the new guys, you need to be interacting at lunch etc and recreation time between physio and video analysis etc, Celtic of old used to turn up early and get a few games of pool in etc and have a jolly at the nonsense in the media etc and then go out as a unit determined to wipe their arses with what they had written about them, so maybe as the winter comes and more intense indoor training is stepped up to strengthen again hamstrings etc the team will gel more and become a sold unit.

Back