I had the good fortune to meet him a few years ago and he was a lovely man
He always had time for everyone he met
Thoughts are with his family today
YNWA

Attachments

• Celtic Park 007.jpg
    Celtic Park 007.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 12
Inter Milan have gone up in my estimation this week with the regards & respect they have paid to our Legends passing in this past week. A club of class & dignity.
Just a pity Manchester City didn’t show the same level of respect to their former manager. Couldn’t even wear black armbands in the derby vs. United.
Forza Internazionale ??

Inter Milan have gone up in my estimation this week with the regards & respect they have paid to our Legends passing in this past week. A club of class & dignity.
Just a pity Manchester City didn’t show the same level of respect to their former manager. Couldn’t even wear black armbands in the derby vs. United.
Forza Internazionale ??
they're waiting for their home game at the Etihaad Conar,still late though.

I'm a man in my fifties and the last few years it's felt like the world I grew up in is disappearing. Parents, friends parents, legends, all going. It's like a jigsaw getting taken apart piece by piece.
Chalmers gone is another big piece of the jigsaw taken, the guy who scored THE Celtic goal. Rip Stevie , God rest your soul.

got a ticket for the Scotland v Brazil game,fae the school,was in the schoolbhoys enclosure, Pele!!!!!wtf! Stevie scores a belter in the first minute,Pele wiznae that good,cos billy bremner kicked him all over the pitch! but Stevie,5 caps!!!! aye 5 caps,3 goals feckin hun sfa, god bless Stevie Chalmers

got a ticket for the Scotland v Brazil game,fae the school,was in the schoolbhoys enclosure, Pele!!!!!wtf! Stevie scores a belter in the first minute,Pele wiznae that good,cos billy bremner kicked him all over the pitch! but Stevie,5 caps!!!! aye 5 caps,3 goals feckin hun sfa, god bless Stevie Chalmers
Full screen MD two iconic goals from two men that shaped our future

My sincere condolences to Stevie Chalmers family and close friends at this sad time. Stevie was a brilliant team player and could play as the lone striker, dual striker or Right Winger. Score with either foot and header many a goal. He had great stamina and would be seen chasing and pressing defenders into making mistakes which often resulted in goals. It is said in Football that if you have the three good players in the spine of the team then you can build a successful side and Big Jock had this in,Ronnie g.k., Billy c.h. and Stevie c.f. and Football was not his only sport as he was a keen Golfer having a low handicap. Stevie, you became famous scoring the Winner in Lisbon and now your legend will live on. R.I P

My sincere condolences to Stevie Chalmers family and close friends at this sad time. Stevie was a brilliant team player and could play as the lone striker, dual striker or Right Winger. Score with either foot and header many a goal. He had great stamina and would be seen chasing and pressing defenders into making mistakes which often resulted in goals. It is said in Football that if you have the three good players in the spine of the team then you can build a successful side and Big Jock had this in,Ronnie g.k., Billy c.h. and Stevie c.f. and Football was not his only sport as he was a keen Golfer having a low handicap. Stevie, you became famous scoring the Winner in Lisbon and now your legend will live on. R.I P

Yeah but no-one knew where the goals would come from coz that team scored for fun. All up for it regardless of position.

Must have been a joy and a fkn nightmare to play against.

We really are fortunate to have such a proud and rich history.

Life is beautiful too at times.

A wonderful Celtic servant & a true gentleman. Rest in peace Mr. Chalmers & thank you ?View attachment 2555
The above picture was a friendly, Scotland v Brazil in the 60s. Which I saw at Hampden. John Clark also played. I can't remember which other Celts played in the game. Billy Bremner kicked and fouled Pele every chance he got but John played him fairly and Pele couldn't get past him. John and Pele have become good friends since this game. In the first few minutes of the match Stevie ran onto a through ball and scored to put the team one up.

Sad news from Celtic Park this morning
Rest in Peace Stevie Chalmers
I had the good fortune to meet him a few years ago and he was a lovely man
He always had time for everyone he met
Thoughts are with his family today
YNWA
You should treasure that moment for you will never see thier likes again they broke the mould with these guys, what happened was meant to happen just once for us to treasure as fans. We will get trebles and doubles and in x amount a row, but to complete a clean sweep of all in a season, has not been done and will never be achieved in the circumstances these guys achieved it, A squad of Glasgwegians rolled into Lisbon and took the honours, its like a script for a movie, only it happened.

Shared from CQN

KELVINBHOY on 29TH APRIL 2019 10:27 PM
Its a long read but worth it. Super insight from Matthew Syed in The Times on Stevie Chalmers.

“When I think of Stevie Chalmers, I don’t just think of a fine footballer. I don’t just think of a remarkable man who overcame a bout of tuberculosis meningitis as a 20-year-old, spending six months in hospital and coming close to death, before signing for Celtic two years later.

I don’t just think of how much has changed in the game since those days, a time when players like Chalmers earned a few quid a week, lived in single-enders, and whose wives experienced little of the glamour associated with being a wag. “We had none of that,” Sadie, his wife, told me. “Our first home was a tenement in Denniston . . . We had one room that served as a bedroom, kitchen and living room, and the toilet was outside on the landing.”

The Celtic side that Chalmers thrived in had a keen sense of community, nurtured by Stein

Instead, I think about the concept of “community”. That was the word that seemed to reverberate through our conversation when I first got to know the great-uncle of my wife, Kathy. One of his first memories was hunkering down with his fellow Glaswegians in a shelter during World War Two, and when he started playing football, the game was defined by solidarity between teammates, and between players and fans.

Chalmers would win his highest fame by scoring the winning goal in the 1967 European Cup final, helping Celtic to become the first British team to win that special honour. But it was the make-up of that squad that remains so vivid: 15 players, each born and raised within 30 miles of Celtic Park, coached by a fellow Scot in Jock Stein who was not only an innovator in tactics, but had the wisdom to nurture a sense of community.

When you read the memoirs of Sir Alex Ferguson, you gain an insight into how social solidarity emerged from the dense tenements of Scottish industrialisation. The former boss of Manchester United has long argued that one of his strengths as a manager was tying the human instinct for connection to the beautiful game. “That’s team spirit,” he would say to new players, “when you give your life to someone. No one at the club ever wins a thing without the other ones.”

The Celtic side that triumphed in the European Cup had this spirit. They were not just a group of players who shared the same employer. They were not just united in receiving a pay cheque from the same institution. No, they were Celtic. Their identity was bound up with the club, with the city, and with each other. “There was an incredible togetherness,” Chalmers once told me. “Stein was a coach with a brilliant tactical brain, who changed things around a lot . . . But he realised that one of our biggest strengths was our unity, which he nurtured.”

“It wasn’t just the players who were close to each other, but also the families,” Sadie said when I interviewed her in 2017. “John Clark, Billy McNeill and Jimmy Johnstone used to get a lift every day into training from Jock Stein, who would meet them in his car at the bus stop. Stevie always used to room with Bobby Murdoch when they went away. You could have the team in a room with 500 people at a club function and, within minutes, they would be sitting together as a group, sharing stories. It is like a family more than a football club.”

Chalmers was a modest man, but he could occasionally be tempted to share his memories of the final of 1967, a night when Celtic shocked Inter, a team coached by the fabled Helenio Herrera, and masters in the catenaccio. Stein’s stroke of genius was to negate the man-marking of the Italians by instructing his players to run into unusual positions, freeing up space for the full backs to charge forward. As Chalmers put it in his autobiography: “With Willie Wallace and Bobby Lennox making similar runs and with our full backs overlapping frequently, it is easy to see how the Italians’ finely tailored marking system was rapidly coming apart at the seams.”

Chalmers continued to play in Celtic green and white for four years after that unforgettable night, before leaving the club, and ultimately working in the pools and hospitality departments. He remained physically fit (and very handsome) into his eighth decade, a single-figure handicapper in golf, a game he came to love.

It wasn’t until his mid-seventies that the family noticed the first signs of dementia, possibly caused by the heavy footballs used in his day, and his deterioration was both swift and cruel. When Rita, my mother in law, posted on the family WhatsApp group last week that Stevie was critically ill, the family braced itself. The last few years have been particularly tough for Sadie, who has cared for the man she loved, but who has had to witness the slow seeping away of memory and identity.

Chalmers will always be remembered as the man who scored that most celebrated of goals, but also as a wonderful father, husband, uncle and friend. In that interview in 2017, Sadie said: “I regularly sit down with Stevie and we look at photo albums of his grandchildren, and black and white shots of him playing in his Celtic strip. “Every now and again, there is a flicker of recognition. ‘That is me, isn’t it?’ he will say. ‘Yes, that’s you, darling,’ I reply. ‘You were a wonderful, wonderful player.’ ”

Shared from CQN

Its a long read but worth it. Super insight from Matthew Syed in The Times on Stevie Chalmers.

“When I think of Stevie Chalmers, I don’t just think of a fine footballer. I don’t just think of a remarkable man who overcame a bout of tuberculosis meningitis as a 20-year-old, spending six months in hospital and coming close to death, before signing for Celtic two years later.

I don’t just think of how much has changed in the game since those days, a time when players like Chalmers earned a few quid a week, lived in single-enders, and whose wives experienced little of the glamour associated with being a wag. “We had none of that,” Sadie, his wife, told me. “Our first home was a tenement in Denniston . . . We had one room that served as a bedroom, kitchen and living room, and the toilet was outside on the landing.”

The Celtic side that Chalmers thrived in had a keen sense of community, nurtured by Stein

Instead, I think about the concept of “community”. That was the word that seemed to reverberate through our conversation when I first got to know the great-uncle of my wife, Kathy. One of his first memories was hunkering down with his fellow Glaswegians in a shelter during World War Two, and when he started playing football, the game was defined by solidarity between teammates, and between players and fans.

Chalmers would win his highest fame by scoring the winning goal in the 1967 European Cup final, helping Celtic to become the first British team to win that special honour. But it was the make-up of that squad that remains so vivid: 15 players, each born and raised within 30 miles of Celtic Park, coached by a fellow Scot in Jock Stein who was not only an innovator in tactics, but had the wisdom to nurture a sense of community.

When you read the memoirs of Sir Alex Ferguson, you gain an insight into how social solidarity emerged from the dense tenements of Scottish industrialisation. The former boss of Manchester United has long argued that one of his strengths as a manager was tying the human instinct for connection to the beautiful game. “That’s team spirit,” he would say to new players, “when you give your life to someone. No one at the club ever wins a thing without the other ones.”

The Celtic side that triumphed in the European Cup had this spirit. They were not just a group of players who shared the same employer. They were not just united in receiving a pay cheque from the same institution. No, they were Celtic. Their identity was bound up with the club, with the city, and with each other. “There was an incredible togetherness,” Chalmers once told me. “Stein was a coach with a brilliant tactical brain, who changed things around a lot . . . But he realised that one of our biggest strengths was our unity, which he nurtured.”

“It wasn’t just the players who were close to each other, but also the families,” Sadie said when I interviewed her in 2017. “John Clark, Billy McNeill and Jimmy Johnstone used to get a lift every day into training from Jock Stein, who would meet them in his car at the bus stop. Stevie always used to room with Bobby Murdoch when they went away. You could have the team in a room with 500 people at a club function and, within minutes, they would be sitting together as a group, sharing stories. It is like a family more than a football club.”

Chalmers was a modest man, but he could occasionally be tempted to share his memories of the final of 1967, a night when Celtic shocked Inter, a team coached by the fabled Helenio Herrera, and masters in the catenaccio. Stein’s stroke of genius was to negate the man-marking of the Italians by instructing his players to run into unusual positions, freeing up space for the full backs to charge forward. As Chalmers put it in his autobiography: “With Willie Wallace and Bobby Lennox making similar runs and with our full backs overlapping frequently, it is easy to see how the Italians’ finely tailored marking system was rapidly coming apart at the seams.”

Chalmers continued to play in Celtic green and white for four years after that unforgettable night, before leaving the club, and ultimately working in the pools and hospitality departments. He remained physically fit (and very handsome) into his eighth decade, a single-figure handicapper in golf, a game he came to love.

It wasn’t until his mid-seventies that the family noticed the first signs of dementia, possibly caused by the heavy footballs used in his day, and his deterioration was both swift and cruel. When Rita, my mother in law, posted on the family WhatsApp group last week that Stevie was critically ill, the family braced itself. The last few years have been particularly tough for Sadie, who has cared for the man she loved, but who has had to witness the slow seeping away of memory and identity.

Chalmers will always be remembered as the man who scored that most celebrated of goals, but also as a wonderful father, husband, uncle and friend. In that interview in 2017, Sadie said: “I regularly sit down with Stevie and we look at photo albums of his grandchildren, and black and white shots of him playing in his Celtic strip. “Every now and again, there is a flicker of recognition. ‘That is me, isn’t it?’ he will say. ‘Yes, that’s you, darling,’ I reply. ‘You were a wonderful, wonderful player.’ ”
What a sad but beautiful and poignant piece of writing. HH.

You should treasure that moment for you will never see thier likes again they broke the mould with these guys, what happened was meant to happen just once for us to treasure as fans. We will get trebles and doubles and in x amount a row, but to complete a clean sweep of all in a season, has not been done and will never be achieved in the circumstances these guys achieved it, A squad of Glasgwegians rolled into Lisbon and took the honours, its like a script for a movie, only it happened.

My Granddaughter will have all my memorabilia from my past
Believe me I do Boab
Have passed on my memorabilia to my Granddaughter who will continue the love for Glasgow Celtic
Have more that a few stories to to tell but that’s for another time
HH

Shared from CQN

Cried reading that. Dementia and alzheimers are horrible.

The terror that must go through the sufferer and the fear of not being known to a loved one of the family. Lonely.

Tragic.

The love throughout that then that sentence from his wife at the end finished me off i don’t mind admitting i cried.

Members online

Latest posts

Back