surprise surprise

Look i really feel i need to clear up what i meant with the RA.

I support their being for why the genuine cause started but not what they latterly became decades later, terrorising their own for minor things i could never support that.

HH ☘️

I support their being for why the genuine cause started but not what they latterly became decades later, terrorising their own for minor things i could never support that.

HH ☘️

HH ☘️
You don't need to clear up on my behalf pal I totally agree with you pal. I for one can not will not Condone the PIRA actions during the times of the troubles. HH Bestie. ☘️

HH ☘️
Bit of a ropey area there. The IRA in any form committed some questionable acts. People just tend to focus on the 1970s & after because it's the most recent. However the so called "old IRA" done some very questionable things, especially during the civil war, & it doesn't take much research to discover them.

As did all participating sides might I add.

Maria
We all know and buy in to the genesis of the Latter day IRA in 60s Ireland
Paisley and his crew were bombing in the mid 60s to try to stop civil rights happening ..someone had to protect the RC communities .that aspect was laudAble and what was sung about That said from what I observed it morphed over time into an outrageous and indefensible organisation . I abhor the fans glorifying that behaviour !
And as I posted it allows the Ibrox RACISTS to act with impunity!

Maria
We all know and buy in to the genesis of the Latter day IRA in 60s Ireland
Paisley and his crew were bombing in the mid 60s to try to stop civil rights happening ..someone had to protect the RC communities .that aspect was laudAble and what was sung about That said from what I observed it morphed over time into an outrageous and indefensible organisation . I abhor the fans glorifying that behaviour !
And as I posted it allows the Ibrox RACISTS to act with impunity!
Again a ropey 1. I know what you mean although I would be quick to point out that, like any movement, there are honest people & there are parasites.

But at the end of the day at a football game there should really only be football songs. Outside of the game people can sing what they want ?

HH ☘️

Maria,

The problem is that there is no need for songs about the IRA in public, in modern day Scotland.

Yes, we are historically aware of the distant past. Many in Scotland, and beyond, neither know nor care. Why should a child going to see St. Johnstone be made to listen to pro-IRA chants?

For me, there is no justification for it whatsoever, irrespective of the brutality of Crown forces in Ireland, Scotland, England or Wales.

I don't see a problem belting out these songs on a supporters bus or club.

We claim we are tolerant of all, open to all and the most respectful support worldwide.

Many Irishmen died British soldiers. Many Celtic supporters can't stand the thought of staying silent for 60 seconds as the Poppy farce asks us to show solidarity with Iraqi/Afghanistan etc. wars.

We could turn it into a positive without the need to worry about wearing poppies ... a celebration of all Celtic players who lost their lives; banners, whatever we believe shall honour those, of our own, who helped defeat a murdering, tyrannical sociopath.

There are so many positive manners in which we could promote our identity; the pain, suffering, humiliations and massacres including genocide on an industrial scale.

We can also promote those of Scottish/Irish descent - James Connolly for one.

Why does it always have to come across as hateful/spiteful and intolerant?

All we do singing about the IRA at games today promote hatred and fuel the agenda of hatred and bigotry we endure from the SFA/SPFL/SMSM.

Maria,

The problem is that there is no need for songs about the IRA in public, in modern day Scotland.

Yes, we are historically aware of the distant past. Many in Scotland, and beyond, neither know nor care. Why should a child going to see St. Johnstone be made to listen to pro-IRA chants?

For me, there is no justification for it whatsoever, irrespective of the brutality of Crown forces in Ireland, Scotland, England or Wales.

We claim we are tolerant of all, open to all and the most respectful support worldwide.

Many Irishmen died British soldiers. Many Celtic supporters can't stand the thought of staying silent for 60 seconds as the Poppy farce asks us to show solidarity with Iraqi/Afghanistan etc. wars.

We could turn it into a positive without the need to worry about wearing poppies ... a celebration of all Celtic players who lost their lives; banners, whatever we believe shall honour those, of our own, who helped defeat a murdering, tyrannical sociopath.

There are so many positive manners in which we could promote our identity; the pain, suffering, humiliations and massacres including genocide on an industrial scale.

All we do singing about the IRA at games today promote hatred and fuel the agenda of hatred and bigotry we endure from the SFA/SPFL/SMSM.
Very well put Anton ?

Hopefully if we keep turning in performances like today then we’ll not need to worry about sevco or there buddies in Edinburgh.I’m know really a fan of Levine,he never seems to back up what he spouts.I was’nt surprised about the events at castle greyscull.His comments about the Northern Irish cheat only running about when he played against us just fuel the flames of what we know exists & to me it’s bad management.If i were him & my main striker only gave 100% against one club he’d be getting dropped.Bet hey ho we’ve got them twice over the next few weeks so it’s time to shut Levine up.I don’t rate him as a manager,his style of football’s terrible & so is his attitude towards us.HH

I was brought up with Irish rebel songs in a Celtic supporting household and for years went along with the majority in singing these songs at the football .
However , as the 60's progressed into the 70's and the 'Troubles' became news on mainland UK and the atrocities on both sides escalated , I began to think more about what we were singing .

I fully understand and support those who see the singing of Rebel songs as a fundamental part of who they are and their history .
However , as the old IRA morphed into disreputable , darker and unsupportable gangsters who quickly used the troubles as a front for drug pushing and many other money-making schemes backed-up by knee-capping and murder , I felt that singing old Rebel songs at that time was not only inappropriate but a betrayal of the principles for which the old freedom fighters stood .

I feel that the point Anton was making , and he will correct me if I am mistaken , was that in the minds of many people today support for the IRA , through singing the old songs , is tantamount to supporting the gangsterism activities of those who usurped 'The Cause' for purely mercenary reasons and who do not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as those who fought and died for their freedom .

I know , and expect , that many on here may not agree with my reasoning but that is your right .

I was brought up with Irish rebel songs in a Celtic supporting household and for years went along with the majority in singing these songs at the football .
However , as the 60's progressed into the 70's and the 'Troubles' became news on mainland UK and the atrocities on both sides escalated , I began to think more about what we were singing .

I fully understand and support those who see the singing of Rebel songs as a fundamental part of who they are and their history .
However , as the old IRA morphed into disreputable , darker and unsupportable gangsters who quickly used the troubles as a front for drug pushing and many other money-making schemes backed-up by knee-capping and murder , I felt that singing old Rebel songs at that time was not only inappropriate but a betrayal of the principles for which the old freedom fighters stood .

I feel that the point Anton was making , and he will correct me if I am mistaken , was that in the minds of many people today support for the IRA , through singing the old songs , is tantamount to supporting the gangsterism activities of those who usurped 'The Cause' for purely mercenary reasons and who do not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as those who fought and died for their freedom .

I know , and expect , that many on here may not agree with my reasoning but that is your right .

Spot on
That’s the point I was also making
Well and better said than me
Modern day young Celtic fans and future fans don’t give a tinkers cuss about all the IRA stuff
Over the years I have loaned season books to ,and bought tickets for ,
Muslim families and Sikhs to go to their first ever game with their kids and they and all their weans now love Celtic and describe the club as ‘We’
IRa totally irrelevant .. yesterday’s story!

Some, as you have put it, did usurp the cause that is true. Although I feel there is a bit of generalisation in your post. Not every person involved from 1960s to present were/are involved in illicit activities. Far from it.

But as I said earlier football matches really should be kept for football songs.

Maria,

I personally think if there’s a war the Brits are there, well if there’s something in it for them.

Isn’t WAR wrong?

Songs don’t have to be spiteful there are many that are not and most RA songs are folk songs lullabys speaking of enduring and overcoming adversity of brutality at the hands of WAR mongering countries mainly Britain.

I do not condone death but i understand why the cause started after 300 year of brutality.

I do not condone what it latterly became, another form of bully boy execution squads on their own people. I would never condone that.

But in terms of songs there is real vile songs that need addressed first but we all know they won’t and living here in Scotland its underhanded snakey treatment of the brethren inflicted on most of us, look no further than Priests being assaulted, Celtic fans being murdered for wearing colours home from a game of football, the deidco, SFA, Police Scotland, the Courts hell we have even been on the receiving end from a so called charity SRTRC, the MP’s etc.

Anyone want to big up the charity work we do for good causes......

The only way are to going to attempt to resolve the views/opinions we all hold is by asking The Green Brigade to open a debate on the matter.

Therefore, I WOULD LIKE TO PUBLICLY ASK THEM TO DO SO!

What is called for is an open and honest debate, within their ranks, on the pros/cons of singing IRA related songs.

It has to be held only by them, for them. If they are not on board then it is never going to change. Whether we like it or not, they are not going to be told what to do - in fact, it only alienates them more.

Once complete, they MUST state their position clearly and put in out there for us all to view.

Then, and only then, will we be in a position to debate with them the best way forward.

I personally think if there’s a war the Brits are there, well if there’s something in it for them.

Isn’t WAR wrong?

Songs don’t have to be spiteful there are many that are not and most RA songs are folk songs lullabys speaking of enduring and overcoming adversity of brutality at the hands of WAR mongering countries mainly Britain.

I do not condone death but i understand why the cause started after 300 year of brutality.

I do not condone what it latterly became, another form of bully boy execution squads on their own people. I would never condone that.

But in terms of songs there is real vile songs that need addressed first but we all know they won’t and living here in Scotland its underhanded snakey treatment of the brethren inflicted on most of us, look no further than Priests being assaulted, Celtic fans being murdered for wearing colours home from a game of football, the deidco, SFA, Police Scotland, the Courts hell we have even been on the receiving end from a so called charity SRTRC, the MP’s etc.

Not one point I disagree with, Maria.

However, I can assure you of this, after living through The Troubles; hatred breeds hatred, irrespective of who started it.

Watched the English Queen sit in Croke Park, lay a wreath commemorating Irish dead - a line has to be drawn on the past.

One more thing, hatred is lazy, it takes no effort. Finding common ground with those whose opinions we often despise,through a lack of understanding or knowledge, is fraught with failure and depression but, ultimately, worth it!

Charity work is second to none ?

Isn’t WAR wrong?

Maria, to answer your last point... NOPE...

the green brigades great work with food collections etc, nah that’s not anti Celtic news so must not be reported

How about the fantastic stuff going on at CQN with Mary’s Meals or the Kanu Foundation, nah that’s not anti Celtic news so must not be reported

Fuck all those organisations that can’t print a fair and balanced opinion on our club

Isn’t WAR wrong?

"I do not condone what it latterly became, another form of bully boy execution squads on their own people. I would never condone that."

That's a gross oversimplification. Honestly the romanticism of the "old IRA" & the vilification of latter republicans is astounding sometimes. Both generations dealt in murder & in a lot of cases it involved innocent people & could not be justified in any strategic sense. There seems to be no middle ground when discussing recent Irish history.

"I do not condone what it latterly became, another form of bully boy execution squads on their own people. I would never condone that."

That's a gross oversimplification. Honestly the romanticism of the "old IRA" & the vilification of latter republicans is astounding sometimes. Both generations dealt in murder & in a lot of cases it involved innocent people & could not be justified in any strategic sense. There seems to be no middle ground when discussing recent Irish history.

You are quite right about the 'generalisations' etc... about the IRA and Irish History ... but , mate , none of us has the time , inclination or need on this site to go into the type of depth that would clarify all of this . We are a football site after all . Let's all agree that this is a deeply complicated topic .
I apologise for any irritation I may have caused with my simplistic comments ... but done for the best of intentions .

You are quite right about the 'generalisations' etc... about the IRA and Irish History ... but , mate , none of us has the time , inclination or need on this site to go into the type of depth that would clarify all of this . We are a football site after all . Let's all agree that this is a deeply complicated topic .
I apologise for any irritation I may have caused with my simplistic comments ... but done for the best of intentions .
Ah you're right tbf. I'm the first to agree that it should always primarily about the football of course ?

Back