Take care of yourselves...

DILLIGAF

Good morning from BC
We are going through some terrible times out here at the moment, as mother Nature vents her wrath on us ,ere mortals
Not only did we have wildfires in the Summer, but now we have been hit with extreme weather events, which have been catastrophic
Thankfully, we are OK where we are, but after this past weekend's weather bomb (their words, not mine) we have massive floods throughout the region
The Fraser Valley right now (Abbotsford eg) is not only dealing with raging flood watres, but this morning, there is a fire at the local RV lot, where hundreds of motorhomes, RV's and trucks are on fire
The fire dept can only try to keep the hundreds of propane cylinders there cool and also attempt to save the electrical power lines which are under threat
The Community water pumping station is also under threat and they are saying that it could go at any minute if the water level continues to rise
The major highways, are all flooded, there's snow on the Coquihalla highway, and there's been landslides and washouts in the interior of the Province
Some gas stations are out of fuel and grocery stores are running out of food etc, as trucks cannot get through
They are bringing in the Military to help as some towns and cities are under water and they have had to evacuate hundreds of townspeople by helicopter
The Covid numbers are going up again...where does it all end ?
On a personal note, during the 'atmospheric river' our roof started leaking, so we had someone do a temp repair during the high winds yesterday, that guy was brilliant
My boys work construction for a restoration company and have been crazy busy these past few days...so proud of them
You can Google BC floods and see how bad it is in some areas, for now, here's the latest news from the Fraser Valley...
Stay safe and remember, there's always someone worse off...God Bless those first responders and all those affected by this record breaking storm

YNWA

Good morning from BC
We are going through some terrible times out here at the moment, as mother Nature vents her wrath on us ,ere mortals
Not only did we have wildfires in the Summer, but now we have been hit with extreme weather events, which have been catastrophic
Thankfully, we are OK where we are, but after this past weekend's weather bomb (their words, not mine) we have massive floods throughout the region
The Fraser Valley right now (Abbotsford eg) is not only dealing with raging flood watres, but this morning, there is a fire at the local RV lot, where hundreds of motorhomes, RV's and trucks are on fire
The fire dept can only try to keep the hundreds of propane cylinders there cool and also attempt to save the electrical power lines which are under threat
The Community water pumping station is also under threat and they are saying that it could go at any minute if the water level continues to rise
The major highways, are all flooded, there's snow on the Coquihalla highway, and there's been landslides and washouts in the interior of the Province
Some gas stations are out of fuel and grocery stores are running out of food etc, as trucks cannot get through
They are bringing in the Military to help as some towns and cities are under water and they have had to evacuate hundreds of townspeople by helicopter
The Covid numbers are going up again...where does it all end ?
On a personal note, during the 'atmospheric river' our roof started leaking, so we had someone do a temp repair during the high winds yesterday, that guy was brilliant
My boys work construction for a restoration company and have been crazy busy these past few days...so proud of them
You can Google BC floods and see how bad it is in some areas, for now, here's the latest news from the Fraser Valley...
Stay safe and remember, there's always someone worse off...God Bless those first responders and all those affected by this record breaking storm

YNWA
Stay safe Dill you and the Family hope all goes well 🙏

HH 🙏

Thanks all, we are fine, safe and sound, we're lucky as the floods didn't affect us, but my boys are doing their bit out in the Valley, so proud of them
Waiting on the plague of locusts, to hit any time now
They're calling this, a once in a century event, Mother Nature is not happy
1000's cows, horses, pigs, etc in danger as they are unable to be extracted at the moment due to the evacuations of people
Everyone is trying their best, people in boats are rescuing cattle with boats, trying to drag them to dry land
It's heartbreaking to see
My son drove the Coquihalla Highway last weekend, so glad he didn't go this weekend
These things really do put things into perspective

Thanks all, we are fine, safe and sound, we're lucky as the floods didn't affect us, but my boys are doing their bit out in the Valley, so proud of them
Waiting on the plague of locusts, to hit any time now
They're calling this, a once in a century event, Mother Nature is not happy
1000's cows, horses, pigs, etc in danger as they are unable to be extracted at the moment due to the evacuations of people
Everyone is trying their best, people in boats are rescuing cattle with boats, trying to drag them to dry land
It's heartbreaking to see
My son drove the Coquihalla Highway last weekend, so glad he didn't go this weekend
These things really do put things into perspective
We're all happy you and your family are fine pal but like you say heartbreaking for many.

Wow, makes Greenock look like the Bahamas 🤔
Well ok then
I watched a documentary last week about the place that holds the highest temperature on record which was a small town in Canada
Burnt to the ground
It looks like you guys are getting the worst of it
I know you’ll be safe, as born with flippers in inverclyde
Take care

Wow, makes Greenock look like the Bahamas 🤔
Well ok then
I watched a documentary last week about the place that holds the highest temperature on record which was a small town in Canada
Burnt to the ground
It looks like you guys are getting the worst of it
I know you’ll be safe, as born with flippers in inverclyde
Take care
That was the village of Lytton, BC
We've been through there lots of times
The wildfires destroyed the town in the Summer
The highest temperature recorded was 49 degrees Celsius, which is 121 Fahrenheit

HH

Hope you and yours stay safe, DILL wee prayer. HH mate ☘☘☘
Cheers mate
We're all happy you and your family are fine pal but like you say heartbreaking for many.
Thanks Stevie
That's why we are on this website, we know we have each others backs when the chips are down
We are a long way from the flooding but we have friends who have been flooded out
It's tragic
God Bless

HH

Thanks mate, you and I have been through some stuff, but it's nothing compared to what those people are going through right now
Appreciate the thoughts from everyone, but we are safe and sound and in no danger
We take things like clean drinking water for granted, but when things like this happen, the infrastructure either isn't there, or cannot handle the demands
To be honest, the people in every community affected are doing more than the politicians, who are content to throw accusations at each other, rather than roll their sleeves up, and actually do something to really help
Best to you and yours

HH

I'm glad your family is safe D. I hope all of you friends are too and things quickly return to a more normal way of life for you all. Take care.
Cheers BB, they're calling it a 'Once in a Century' event
Think Mother Nature, might have something to say about that in the coming years
It's been non stop for some of the towns around BC
Covid restrictions, lockdowns, wildfires, and the evacuations, flash floods right afterwards, again evacuations, now these devastating floods after the rain and wind plus major highways damaged by landslides and huge washouts, left gaping holes, cutting off routes home for many, and could take months to get repaired, as well as food and water shortages as the supply routes are blocked in all directions, there are reports from some places, that due to this and people panic buying what's left in the stores, it's just like what happened at the start of Covid, with some people buying up all the meat, etc in the grocery stores
rationing will most likely be in place again in a lot of communities
And now Winter is almost upon us, and the cost of goods is going to sky rocket
We have a wood burning fireplace, so we can at least heat the house when the power is cut, so far we've had two power cuts, and we have the BBQ tanks filled up, so we can at least cook something
It really is heartbreaking to see all those poor people having their lives destroyed by this catastrophe

Thanks again for all the kind words, we are fine and wish we could do something to help

HH

Just seen the extent of the damage to our main highway through the Interior
The Coquihalla Highway is known as a 'speed' highway, where there no exit or on ramps, so getting heavy equipment in to even make temporary repairs, will be a huge job, and of course, it's in the mountains and they're already getting lots of snow
Nightmare for the engineers tasked with the job
The highway basically got hit by landslides and it took the brunt of the rush of trees, mud and debris
They are also saying that in order to prevent the floods in the fraser Valley from destroying 2000 homes on the north side of the river, they are going to build a dyke and that means some homes already flooded, will be sacrificed in order to use the land and properties to build a berm to hold back any further floods, which are expected due to more rain, and in some areas, snow
The absolutely worst time of year, for all this to happen, as Winter is upon us
Sorry to keep posting about it, but these things bring out the best in 'most' people

YNWA

Members online

Latest posts

Back