The 1%

Spherical Planet

I guess it's time to face some home truths........

I will gladly go on record and state definitively that I believe that Glasgow Celtic have some of the finest and most dedicated supporters in world football.

Tommy Burns said it best, and I doubt there is a place in the world where dedicated Celtic fans won't go in order to support the team.

In the days of the "iron curtain", there were Celtic fans in Tirana, Kiev and Belgrade. Almost impossible places to get to at the time, but still they got there somehow.

Glasgow Celtic is not a trend or a lifestyle choice. It is a way of life and as much a part of our day-to-day existence as work and family.

We are also quite a diverse group of folk. We are made up of many different nationalities, cultures, religions, and ethnicity.

We have many different political perspectives and many different views on the world and how we interact with the world.

We disagree on matters relating to our team and other matters relating to our heritage, but generally speaking, I believe we respect each other enough to realise that much of our disagreements are not insurmountable and that for the one or two things that we may not see eye-to-eye on - there are 10 or 20 things upon which we will agree.

But then there is also simple arithmetic and the laws of nature.

In among the hundreds of thousands of Glasgow Celtic fans all around the globe, there is a tiny percentage who are reflective of society as a whole.

Psychopathic, sociopathic, deviant, twisted, moronic, and hell bent on creating disturbance and havoc.

I can forgive youthful exuberance and over-excitability, but I find it hard to forgive that tiny, tiny percentage who profess to love Our Club, but pour scorn upon the massive majority who try to support Our Club positively.

We are allowed to disagree, we are also allowed to get pissed off from time-to-time........there's no harm in that and often it goes a long way towards clearing the air.

Sometimes folk like myself need a reality check and brought back down to earth. It's good to know that there are contributors willing to burst my bubble and administer a healthy dose of reality which should be ingested with a large slice of humble pie.

We have made our own series of connections on this platform. We have formed friendships and alliances and we have provided a defence for our allies when we feel they are under attack.

Perhaps it would be more prudent to allow disagreements to follow their natural course and reach their natural conclusions, but sometimes loyalty interferes with common sense and we get embroiled in unnecessary brawls about nothing in particular.

I don't think we're the best at holding grudges and once the dust settles, I think we progress quite nicely.

However - there are exceptions to every rule and every now and then the 1% rears it's ugly head and it's ugly mouth and it's ugly attitude.

Just for context, many of us have participated on other Celtic-related platforms and we have had to endure encounters with many unsavoury and not particularly pleasant people (and peepul).

There are habits and traits these folk can't hide. The way they write and the prose they use is a virtual signature. No matter how hard they attempt to disguise it, it is not difficult to identify the wee trends, patterns and writing anomalies.

One such member of the 1% is currently among us. Over two separate platforms, he has attacked valuable contributors with despicable and vitriolic attacks. These valued contributors are more than capable of defending themselves, but it might be prudent to just follow the historical messages and determine for yourselves the nature of the chap in question.

I wouldn't want him to think we were ganging up on him now.

Name and shame ! If this 1 % that you mention is a'lurker' as some would have it , then out him/her ! What is there to fear if , as you say , their aim is to attack or denigrate others on here ? If they are falsely accused then let them mount a defence .

I don't know who you are referring to . I am a bit slow on identifying those who others appear to see through and can ascribe treasonous intent with a clarity that fails me . Am I alone in this ?

HH

There's nothing to fear, Millsy, but folk have to judge for themselves.

It may well be that some may prescribe to their point of view and that is subjective and open to personal interpretation.

It shouldn't hinder anybody's enjoyment of the topics in discussion if it doesn't happen across their sightlines.

The point of the thread is to make folk aware that there are other types of Celtic 'fans' who happen to enjoy antagonising other supporters.

It may, or may not, impact upon you or others, but the evidence can be traced through posts and comments.......I guess it's down to how folk choose to interpret it.

In every walk of life there are people who 'enjoy' antagonising others - who like to stir it up , so to speak . I don't expect this site to be any different - it is no big deal if some like to wind up others . We are all adults here and should be able to stand up for ourselves - if not , then it is the simplest thing in the world to 'block' those who distress you !
Debate/argument is the stuff of life on a forum like this - otherwise we would all be kissing each others arses , and where's the fun in that - well , OK , there are those who would be attracted to that but that is their problem . LOL !

SP.
Good point to make. At times we work and deal daily with people we would not have a beer with let alone have a discussion.
On this forum I have read differing views, but, the divergent view they have from me can be supported by facts.
This is a good site full of humour and goid folk so more power to you outing those that want discord.
HH

SP.
Good point to make. At times we work and deal daily with people we would not have a beer with let alone have a discussion.
On this forum I have read differing views, but, the divergent view they have from me can be supported by facts.
This is a good site full of humour and goid folk so more power to you outing those that want discord.
HH
Ach, we saw what happened over the road on the C-blog, Tommy, and it would be a hellish shame if the same thing happened here.

I don't want it to be a back-slapping exercise either, there have been some really strong debates with some persuasive arguments on all sides.

It would be a shame if it descended into really personal stuff and with the really shitty comments.

HH TT

SP.
HH
TT spot on pal, I would say.

Ach, we saw what happened over the road on the C-blog, Tommy, and it would be a hellish shame if the same thing happened here.

I don't want it to be a back-slapping exercise either, there have been some really strong debates with some persuasive arguments on all sides.

It would be a shame if it descended into really personal stuff and with the really shitty comments.

HH TT
Correct SP. I have my views that have been formed by meeting folk and reading. Others can do exact same but feel different. Their views are as every bit as valid as mine. The only time I have had arguments here in Thailand is with sevco leaning folk, the lack of grasping facts and history which refute their stance.
On that other blog you were personaly ridiculed by that flat earther. That were wrong of him and I stuck my 2 pence in and were accused of sleeping with Ladyboys which I never have. The female form smells better.
Losing the argument and getting abusive shows yourself up.
I have a lot of time for folk like you. Take care HH

Back