The 4-2 Game - 40 Years ago today, our most incredible triumph since Lisbon

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
Best Celtic game that I've ever attended was 40 years ago tonight. I was in second year at St Pats in Coatbridge and was one of the few who had been there. Remember holding court the next day telling the troops all about it!

Anyone else at the 4-2 game?

Murdo MacLeod who scored the dramatic, wonderful goal with the last kick of the ball, gives his thoughts on that game in this article. It's well worth a read.

Think of the Tom Rogic cup final goal and multiply that emotion by ten - one for each man that won the league!

https://thecelticstar.com/the-4-2-game-40-years-ago-today-our-most-incredible-triumph-since-lisbon/

And then read this, which is a great wee story about how a Celtic supporter got lucky after the game when he was invited in to the ground to join in the celebrations...

https://thecelticstar.com/the-4-2-game-bernie-godziks-inside-story-about-the-post-match-party/

GW951H745.jpeg

I was there, front right side of the Jungle, magical, rushing home to see it on the TV only to be told there had been a "strike " and they had no coverage of the game.

Always wonder if there would have been a " strike " if we hadn't got they 2 goals l8t on.

Following Thursday the huns broke another record for the lowest ever attended game involving them or us at home, although they claimed 30,000 one journalist at the time said if 30,000 attended that game 27,000 must have paid in then about turned and went home, another thing about that Thursday and the 3,000 I've never met a hun that wisnae at that game, bunch of liars then now and forever.

H.H

Am sure the auld yin would've spoke about that the rest of his days!Sean Connery eh ,the glory hunter!bet he never knew they were cheatin to win titles though..

Here is the match report from Tuesday 22/5/1979 by Alex Cameron

Doyle Off.. Then Light Blues Crash
Celtic are Premier League Champions after one of the most remarkable wins in their long and distinguished history.
There never has been a League Championship decider quite like this. It was ninety minutes packed with thrills, arguments, good football....and bad, exciting and scrambled goals.
The outcome was an incredible turnabout, in which Celtic battled against the odds as they have never done before.
In 55minutes Johnny Doyle was sent off for aiming a kick at Alex McDonald, who lay sprawled on the ground in a cluster of players.
Referee Eddie Pringle, from Edinburgh, ran across to the enclosure linesman, got his version, and quickly signalled the Celtic player to go.
His mates protested furiously as all seemed lost- FOR RANGERS WERE LEADING 1-0 AFTER A NINTH MINUTE GOAL SNATCHED BY MACDONALD.
It looked as though the aloof, cool-looking Rangers would grab command and hurdle into an excellent Championship position with games against Partick Thistle and Hibs to come. This is what the Rangers fans in the 52000 crowd must have expected.
BUT IT TURNED OUT TO BE A PREPOSTEROUS FALLACY, AS CELTIC FOUND ENERGY AND STYLE EVEN THEY DIDN'T KNOW EXISTED.
Roy Aitken snatched an an equaliser in 66 minutes and eight minutes later George McClusky put the Celts 2-1 ahead.
The overjoyed Celtic fans had little time to celebrate,however, for within two minutes Robert Russell took careful aim and shot past Peter Latchford with the help of a goal post.
AND THEN DISASTER STRUCK RANGERS WITH A VENGENCE.
McCluskey, racing in fro the right, slammed the ball quickly across goal. Veteran centre half Colin Jackson dipped his head to stop the ball after McCloy had parried it but he turned it into his own net.
Jackson hung his head in abject despair. (ha ha). He sensed in this sad moment for Rangers, that all was lost.
Celtic deserved to be in front and to end any arguments before they could begin, Murdo McLeod fired a tremendous goal from 20 yards with only seconds remaining.
Referee Pringle took a quick look at his watch as the ball swirled towards McCloy, swerved at the last moment and swung away from the Rangers keeper who seemed unable to move. SECONDS LATER IT WAS ALL OVER.
It was an inspired night for the Celts. Even their most partisan followers couldn't have predicted such a dramatic revival.
The match sizzled for 90 minutes. The Celts attacked Rangers as if their lives depended upon it. The Ibrox team were kept in their own half for two thirds of the match.
Rangers seemed like a side who would have settled for the draw- even when they were leading 1-0 !
There were extraordinary misses at both ends, but never have I seen a team pick themselves up and win in such memorable fashion.
Doyle was silly to put his side at risk. The referee couldn't do anything else but send him off. But even Doyle could not have suspected the way his ten mates would react.
Immediately after Aitken scored, little Bobby Lennox took Mike Conroys place and Alex Miller came on for Tommy McLean.
And the last of the Lisbon Lions was one of the Celtic heroes.
Every Celtic player was outstanding. But I would single out McCluskey, McLeod,McAdam and Provan as the miracle men on this history making night for a Celtic team who three months ago would never have forecast themselves as champions.
Despite the pressures of the game, it was well controlled by Pringle.
As well as sending off Doyle he took the names of Aitken and McCluskey of Celtic and Parlane, Jardine and Jackson of Rangers.
Poor Jackson (ha ha) His booking came just a few seconds before his own goal, which helped to put Celtic striding out to the front of Scottish soccer and into the European Cup next season.
CELTIC, Latchford, McGrain, Lynch, Aitken, McAdam, Edvaldsson (shuggie), Provan, Conroy, McCluskey, McLeod, Doyle. Subs-Davidson, Lennox.
RANGERS- McCloy, Jardine, Dawson, Johnstone, Jackson, McDonald, McLean, Russell, Parlane, Smith, Cooper. Subs- Miller, Watson.
Crowd 52,000

HH Ten men won the league
Rich

Excellent stories -- Richy, were the caps part of the story you typed (and thanks for transcribing them)?

I was there, front right side of the Jungle, magical, rushing home to see it on the TV only to be told there had been a "strike " and they had no coverage of the game.

Always wonder if there would have been a " strike " if we hadn't got they 2 goals l8t on.

Following Thursday the huns broke another record for the lowest ever attended game involving them or us at home, although they claimed 30,000 one journalist at the time said if 30,000 attended that game 27,000 must have paid in then about turned and went home, another thing about that Thursday and the 3,000 I've never met a hun that wisnae at that game, bunch of liars then now and forever.

H.H

50, you and I must have been standing very close!! Great night. My dad was unwell and I returned home to a great big hug.
Magic memories
HH

Man, that's some fantastic writing. I'm envious -- until about five years ago, I worked my entire adult life as a newspaper editor, and only came across five -- maybe, if that many -- writers who wrote that well.
Glad ye like them Larry, will type a few more up later this week.
I have a book with about 30 original reports. The next two will be Lisbon and the famous seven past Niven game from the late 50s.
If there is one involving Hearts, I will type that up too.

Was in the Celtic end was working night shift at John brown,s shipyard we wur gang a painters half them other half us.Worked wur arse af from the Monday so we could get time af fur the game, gaffer wis blue nose also he wis the driver, he had this van ta pick all of us up after the game. All us tims wur dancing Doon the road Tay get picked up got to van the only wan there wis the gaffer the other mob didnny have the baws Tay turn up and face us, they not just lost the league they also lost a good bit of pay as we got the same rate as John Brown workers.I they wur day,s ps god bless wee Johnny Doyle h h

I was there, still at school. What a night. When Murdo burst the net everybody went out of their fucking nuts.

When I got home I went up to my pals who was in the other end. He wasn’t that pleased to see me. His ma was a Tim and she gave us money for a curry, I enjoyed it more.

Members online

Latest posts

Back