The Aftermath and the Conclusion

In a well coached and organised defence, playing to a game plan, he'd be a decent player. We're throwing young men who've had long spells on the bench at elite clubs into our circus and expecting miracles. I don't feel comfortable villifying guys like Kenny, Laxalt or Duffy. This disaster isn't their fault.
I agree with you about Kenny and Laxalt but Duffy ffs, just naw.

Out of curiosity how many of the current squad were here this time last year?

And why are we needing to bin the whole lot of last seasons treble winners?

The rebuild is not as hard as people are making out, imo

Form can dip, especially under weird circumstances.

Also which players in Sevco side do you rate higher than our players?

If we swapped entire squads, would anyone think we have the best squad?

Player for player which players in their team are so good we need a massive upgrade in our team to counter that threat?

personally I think barkas will come good.

Not based on anything other than he is big goalie with experience and needs better defenders helping him imo

I actually rate Julien and ajar higher than their best 2 cbs

Taylor is better defender than barisic but barasic is much higher quality going forward both timing and the dangerous crossing

We dont have a right back and haven't had one since binning Lustig who was on a shoofly peg for his last couple seasons

The lad bolt would probably have been a good player if he was in a proper system with proper instructions

I liked el hamed but I think his wife got sick of this country coupled with the terrible disrespect he got by being second fiddle to a wee dude who was totally garbage 90 percent of his gametime.

So tav currently better option than we have at full back too.

So we need better fullbacks to deal with that threat

Midfield I dont really rate their midfield individually but they play as a 3 man unit

very tight very supportive of both defence and attack

I think our current players could match their mids no problem if matched in similar system with tight bond of teamwork binding them both to each other and aware of opportunities and threats

need 2 new quality Centre mids for certain

coupled with 2 right backs who can defend first but dynamic and capable of passing and crossing

we have good wingers in forrest and Johnson imo

but we need a better more experienced left winger imo

with Johnson as back up

I dont buy this whole team need replaced theory

its the current terrible system that needs fixed

fix the system we need 5 new quality first team ready players

2 right backs

2 centre mids who can play centre mid with awareness and bite

1 winger

if eddy goes we need a new striker

if ajetti goes too we need 2

if Griffiths goes too we need 3

I think those 3 are good strikers if they are motivated

but are they? if not why not

maybe we fix the team work plan and the creative ideas for these guys to bury and I think they would bury them

but no proper supply from wings and no proper solid aware midfield has crushed our season coupled with rank rotten tactics repeated and repeated and repeated.

5 new players

let the loan dudes loose

maybe from our own out on loan players we have decent options already to fill the 5 major positions I think are lacking

5 new players

I think we would have a much stronger team if we reverted to 4231 or 4213 or 433 with at least 2 centre mids patrolling the centre of the park both aware and dynamic

I think soro might be good enough as 1

but I would like 2 new better than soro with soro as the 3rd cm

even if we let christie and logic go

we still have cal and turnbull for acm and maybe even the boy Henderson or the wee left sided dude who hardly had a chance

A real top right back with a back up

2 centre mids

And a quality Paulo dicanio type winger

Are vital imo

If boli aint coming back we need a left back who can cross

our must sign player is a proper right back who can defend first and dynamic enough to get forward when needed

we need a high quality centre mid for certain

we need a proper winger for certain

Out of curiosity how many of the current squad were here this time last year?

And why are we needing to bin the whole lot of last seasons treble winners?

The rebuild is not as hard as people are making out, imo

Form can dip, especially under weird circumstances.

Also which players in Sevco side do you rate higher than our players?

If we swapped entire squads, would anyone think we have the best squad?

Player for player which players in their team are so good we need a massive upgrade in our team to counter that threat?

personally I think barkas will come good.

Not based on anything other than he is big goalie with experience and needs better defenders helping him imo

I actually rate Julien and ajar higher than their best 2 cbs

Taylor is better defender than barisic but barasic is much higher quality going forward both timing and the dangerous crossing

We dont have a right back and haven't had one since binning Lustig who was on a shoofly peg for his last couple seasons

The lad bolt would probably have been a good player if he was in a proper system with proper instructions

I liked el hamed but I think his wife got sick of this country coupled with the terrible disrespect he got by being second fiddle to a wee dude who was totally garbage 90 percent of his gametime.

So tav currently better option than we have at full back too.

So we need better fullbacks to deal with that threat

Midfield I dont really rate their midfield individually but they play as a 3 man unit

very tight very supportive of both defence and attack

I think our current players could match their mids no problem if matched in similar system with tight bond of teamwork binding them both to each other and aware of opportunities and threats

need 2 new quality Centre mids for certain

coupled with 2 right backs who can defend first but dynamic and capable of passing and crossing

we have good wingers in forrest and Johnson imo

but we need a better more experienced left winger imo

with Johnson as back up

I dont buy this whole team need replaced theory

its the current terrible system that needs fixed

fix the system we need 5 new quality first team ready players

2 right backs

2 centre mids who can play centre mid with awareness and bite

1 winger

if eddy goes we need a new striker

if ajetti goes too we need 2

if Griffiths goes too we need 3

I think those 3 are good strikers if they are motivated

but are they? if not why not

maybe we fix the team work plan and the creative ideas for these guys to bury and I think they would bury them

but no proper supply from wings and no proper solid aware midfield has crushed our season coupled with rank rotten tactics repeated and repeated and repeated.

5 new players

let the loan dudes loose

maybe from our own out on loan players we have decent options already to fill the 5 major positions I think are lacking

5 new players

I think we would have a much stronger team if we reverted to 4231 or 4213 or 433 with at least 2 centre mids patrolling the centre of the park both aware and dynamic

I think soro might be good enough as 1

but I would like 2 new better than soro with soro as the 3rd cm

even if we let christie and logic go

we still have cal and turnbull for acm and maybe even the boy Henderson or the wee left sided dude who hardly had a chance

A real top right back with a back up

2 centre mids

And a quality Paulo dicanio type winger

Are vital imo

If boli aint coming back we need a left back who can cross

our must sign player is a proper right back who can defend first and dynamic enough to get forward when needed

we need a high quality centre mid for certain

we need a proper winger for certain
Tet I've read your post quite carefully imo the 1st thing we need is a manager. Yes there is a rebuild needed but more importantly we need to get a system of recruitment and development before we start throwing cash around. We need a keeper who is dependable when it comes to the penalty box, he must be big personality to dictate his defence, someone in the mould of Boric. Another cb with physicallity who won't duck when he is about to be hit by a ball, I think that 1 holding /defensive midfielder should be fine if we have a proper defence, I would keep griff but I would change the terms of his contract, not in a financial sense but in the terms oh his off-field behaviour, I would try to get as much for Christie as possible but get him on his bike, less reliance on loan signings as the difference in pay has a negative effect on the harmony in the dressing room, of our own players out on loan bring them back give the opportunity to play and if they don't want to be here ger shot. Here's hoping for some good news soon HH.

Tet I've read your post quite carefully imo the 1st thing we need is a manager. Yes there is a rebuild needed but more importantly we need to get a system of recruitment and development before we start throwing cash around. We need a keeper who is dependable when it comes to the penalty box, he must be big personality to dictate his defence, someone in the mould of Boric. Another cb with physicallity who won't duck when he is about to be hit by a ball, I think that 1 holding /defensive midfielder should be fine if we have a proper defence, I would keep griff but I would change the terms of his contract, not in a financial sense but in the terms oh his off-field behaviour, I would try to get as much for Christie as possible but get him on his bike, less reliance on loan signings as the difference in pay has a negative effect on the harmony in the dressing room, of our own players out on loan bring them back give the opportunity to play and if they don't want to be here ger shot. Here's hoping for some good news soon HH.
Manager is obviously the most important step next

I assumed that part of the process

The thread is a bit depressing and seems to suggest we have no decent players.

My point is we do need some key players

But with good buys in certain spots the rebuild is not as demanding as lots seem to think.

I dont really think Bain is good enough or hazard and jury still out on keeper. But he is a big keeper and well sometimes it takes a while to get the hang of new country, if someone wants to offer what we paid id let him go and buy couple of biggest Scottish keepers.

I dont mean holding midfielders

I mean actual midfielders who understand central midfield

Cal is not a central mid in my opinion

he can play it but it wastes his talents and well he really isn't very comfortable in centre of pitch

he is a good attacking mid

But for me our entire game for last few seasons has been weak especially in europe and its because we dont play proper centre mids

not holding mids

actual centre mids

who go box to box but gravitate to centre of the pitch rather than too deep or too far forward starting or like cal who has an impulse to pull left to far

the centre of pitch is the key area for controlling winning ball, not defence

defence is last line

if your midfield are not a cohesive unit you won't create lots of chances for runners into space

which is exactly why sevco are doing well with ordinary players

3 man midfield who are always right close to each other and move in a proper system

it harries opps and supports defence and attack and creates lots and lots of counter chances as well as being able to dominate weaker teams

the more players you have in high starting slots the more accurate your back players passing needs to be

and tbh it doesnt create more attacking chances

if anything it gifts a strong central midfield easy spaces to exploit for opps

imo

we need 2 centre mids

and if Callum and turnbull are playing we need 2 behind them in midfield cause they are awful at winning ball or tackling or generally being good ball winners

they are luxury number 10 type

luxury because they are really only good going forward imo

yet they cant do the forward bit if they dont have 2 proper mids behind doing the winning and cohesive gel part of a rteam

its possible to go with just 2 mids

and 2 central forwards but it leaves a weakness in middle of park if opps have 3 man unit central

And every game we lost this season was against 3 man central unit midfield

and then cut through the butter flanks where we gift so much space to opps

attacking requires the ball

without a proper defence and proper central midfield you will likely get cut to shreds when you face that shape

I gave this serious thought before posting possibly only player i might keep is turnball the rest can go if you doubt my opinion tell me who you would keep and why and ill give you facts on why not by the way turnball just makes it
Soro and Welsh. Soro because he's a solid defensive mid and but for sentimentality would have established himself firmly already. Welsh because for a young lad thrown in at the deep end playing where a 2m loan player should have been he's been solid. He's not been the waiting disaster Duffy was every game. Ok nothing flashy but solid. He WILL improve with experience.
The rest should be sold or maybe kept as cover on the bench. An I'm being generous there.

I gave this serious thought before posting possibly only player i might keep is turnball the rest can go if you doubt my opinion tell me who you would keep and why and ill give you facts on why not by the way turnball just makes it
Bit harsh jpw as I still don't think we are as bad off as many would claim. We were always way to overloaded with players especially with the amount of loanees. Had no real shape to our play with no system to be seen whatsoever that worked properly. Still believe we have got the makings of a much younger squad that can be well coached and placed into a system of play that can suit us.
The game is so tactical now its became like a game of football chess, so hopefully a squad is assembled that is also very adaptable to formation and system of play regarding team plans.
I think nowadays a squad assembled on a 343 basis gives us far more flexibility than a rigid formation with 2 players for each position.
Example Welsh, should be able to play right of a 3 or slot in as a RB as don't see him as a CB in a back 4 imo.
So my opinions on what could already be in place for a squad next season.

Goalkeeper
Been such a problem this season and has to be put right. Would keep hazard as a no 2, loan out Barkas as can't see us getting anything near what we have wasted on him. Bain is as good as he's going to be which ain't much so offload him and hope we can get in a proper keeper worthy of calling a no 1.

Defence.
Been a disaster zone all season. With going for a 3 could still have
Welsh, Jules, Shaw
Back up, hendry and lad at Ross County. Taylor
Still would prefer getting in a decent commanding CB in a cental role.

Midfield
Another poor area where we have never looked commanding or worked as a functional unit. OK with the 1 defensive midfield but hope we never see the 2 again as it no longer really works especially for us as a team, and yet
Henderson, Soro, Turnbull, calmac.
Back up, Luca and Robinson.
Still room for 2 decent midfielders that are comfortable on the ball and willing to work hard for the team with a bit of quality also

Forwards
Been a total let down all season and the amount of wasted opportunity's and a lack of desire by just relying on individual play to often that never produced the results required yet
Forrest, Bayo, Mikey Johnston
Back up Ajeti
A area for our biggest concern imo. Mikey may need to be loaned out to get a full season under his belt as he's been lacking so much since the injury. Of course Forrest could also drop back as a wide midfield but think playing higher up would suit him more so. At least 2 hopefully 3 can be bought in and maybe more if we can off load Bayo and Ajeti. It's the area where I believe needs the most work now as it was criminal to bring in Ajeti instead of toney. Still believe we can attract quality enough forward players to start becoming a real goal menice again.

So overall if we can get in 7 players in the summer with a decent manager and a good coaching staff we could still be in great shape for years to come and all could be done without breaking the bank and keeping us even more financially sound than we currently are and with plenty of room for manoeuvre in terms of quality required.

The level of coaching we have has turned our long term very good players into school kids. Any skills new guys have disappear rapidly. There's a lot going on we don't know about, total clearout of the board and a manger brought in that is allowed to manage. Its not going to be easy getting people bloated with self indulgence out of the club, but it's the first step.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back