The Athenian "Long Wall'

Lots of talk about replacing the, 'Long Wall" with Bain for the Milan game.... because he didn't make the 1st save from Goldson. For me he wasn't at fault, it was a wiped in ball which we should have played a easy offside too. However, given the fact that Goldson got a free header, what could our Goalie do? From the image below, you can see that Barkas has stepped to his left anticipating a cross goal header (back the way it came).the wall.png However, Goldson headers it with a just a slight touch downwards to his left. In my view and in real time (it's a quick goal) Barkas is not at fault.

Barkas is turning into a scapegoat. We need to move on from Forster, he's not our player.

Lots of talk about replacing the, 'Long Wall" with Bain for the Milan game.... because he didn't make the 1st save from Goldson. For me he wasn't at fault, it was a wiped in ball which we should have played a easy offside too. However, given the fact that Goldson got a free header, what could our Goalie do? From the image below, you can see that Barkas has stepped to his left anticipating a cross goal header (back the way it came).View attachment 11728 However, Goldson headers it with a just a slight touch downwards to his left. In my view and in real time (it's a quick goal) Barkas is not at fault.

Barkas is turning into a scapegoat. We need to move on from Forster, he's not our player.
Well said, it was a terrible goal to concede starting with moi desperate so called pass and Kent bought a cheap foul. Very poor defending with a play they worked on and we hadn't. The pace was on the ball and a whole goal to aim at was never going to give Barkas much chance. We are still a bit spoilt with the walls Cup winning display but we need to stick with him or it will be big money down the drain and I still think he will come good

Lots of talk about replacing the, 'Long Wall" with Bain for the Milan game.... because he didn't make the 1st save from Goldson. For me he wasn't at fault, it was a wiped in ball which we should have played a easy offside too. However, given the fact that Goldson got a free header, what could our Goalie do? From the image below, you can see that Barkas has stepped to his left anticipating a cross goal header (back the way it came).View attachment 11728 However, Goldson headers it with a just a slight touch downwards to his left. In my view and in real time (it's a quick goal) Barkas is not at fault.

👏 👏👏👏 3 huns unmarked in the penalty boax every Celtic defender wi' there backs turned, totally undefendable defendin and no protection for the goalie🍺🥳

I do feel that he can work on comanding his box a bit better, but I don't think this was the time to do it mind (there was a few times in the game when he could have done it). I don't think he is confident in his back line and vise versa. It was basically a new backline.

Slippy's team talk (after getting Lennon's team well in advance); Keep it simple, keep your shape they have a new back line! Let's go.

Not scapegoating, I think there's a good keeper there, but the SPFL is different to anything he's been involved in
It's a tough game and when you see players second guessing themselves, defenders, forwards, midfieldser, keepers, it goes through the team and I think it's a case of both defenders and goalie feeling that unreliablity deal
I base my viewpoint on being involved in the game, as a player and coach for decades, I even went in between the sticks a few times. and gave as good as I got, when things got rough, as in stay out of my way
Played with some great keepers, one of whom who was 5'6" and he made it clear to fellow team mates, and opponents, that the box, was his
He'd come for the ball and clean out anybody who got in his way, the defenders got to know very quickly, to rely on him coming, and it was their job, to take care of their man marking, as he'd take care of the rest
The game has changed over the years, not neccessarily for the better
It's 11 v 11, and you have to rely on your team mates, backing you up
If you have any misgivings, that filters though the sqaud
Anyway, I believe he'll come good, he just needs a bit more confidence in his team mates, and his own ability in the SPFL
HH

Last edited:
Our defence was at fault, but he also stayed on his line
Anything inside the 6 yard line, should be the keepers
There were a lot of players at fault, he was one of them
My opinion
HH
I suspect that is how Celtic goalies are trained. The Wa' stayed on his line far too often for a man of his size and so did Gordon. I like my keepers to come out and clear out everything in front of them but ours just don't do that. It is like we leave the defending to the defenders and rely on our goalie's reflexes if needed.

Last edited:
I suspect that is how Celtic goalies are trained. The Wa stayed on his line far too often for a man of his size and so did Gordon. I like my keepers to come out and clear out everything in front of them but purs just don't do that. It is like we leave the defending to the defenders and rely on our goalie's reflexes if needed.
Totally agree BB with the movement of the ball nowadays and the pace and direction at with they are able to hit a ball means the slightest of touches can mean trouble. If Barkas had came charging out and never made it a sending off would also have been in the offering. Who would be a keeper with nowhere to hide

Looked d biz on youtube, & is decent enuff at catching crossed high balls, but he's no where near the presence needed yet & this is 10IAR yr.
Looks timid & no voice = no control of defence.
Concerns confirmd wen reading dis last week.

“He’s still a bit of development to do, there’s no doubt, I was talking to Stevie Woods about him the other day, he says he just has to develop physically actually a little bit, and from a fitness perspective too” Packy Bonner.

Barkas needs 2 develop a Bark, he shud no b relyin on any defender 2 control his area.

Last edited:
My thinking is he better than bain, we might have been more advised and kept Gordon on he always played well against the huns, in fact one of his best games was when the sleeket one played mcgregor at left back, then the sleeket one dropped him after that game
I don't think he is as good as Bain. I have seen NOTHING from him.... starting with the 2 goals against Ferencvaros. Just watched them again this morning. Nuh, not for me. Might be a back up to Bain in early cup games.

I don't think he is as good as Bain. I have seen NOTHING from him.... starting with the 2 goals against Ferencvaros. Just watched them again this morning. Nuh, not for me. Might be a back up to Bain in early cup games.
He's a far better keeper than Bain. He is still settling into a new team, with an ever changing defence in front of him, a new country/language and playing for a team where he spends most of the game standing watching. It all takes getting used to.
He needs time to settle and he needs Stevie Woods to improve him.
When Forster first came to Celtic in 2010 he wasn't that great. He improved with game time and settling into the way we play and we reaped the benefits after that first shaky season.

He's a far better keeper than Bain. He is still settling into a new team, with an ever changing defence in front of him, a new country/language and playing for a team where he spends most of the game standing watching. It all takes getting used to.
He needs time to settle and he needs Stevie Woods to improve him.
When Forster first came to Celtic in 2010 he wasn't that great. He improved with game time and settling into the way we play and we reaped the benefits after that first shaky season.
Lots of excuses in there Gary. When do you think he will actually turn up?

To be fair to Barkas, he has had to play behind a continually changing backline of various setups. So far we have played Duffy, Jullien, Ajer, Taylor, Frimpong, Elhamed, Bitton, Welsh and Laxalt in 3 and 4 man defences. So far he has never been outstandingly fantastic, but he is settling into a new country and a much higher paced/more physical game, but I like his distribution and he is confident with the ball at his feet. Obviously shot stopping and commanding his box/defence are very important and I think this will come once we have more consistancy and he has confidence in his defence (and vice versa).

It isn't Barkas's fault Forster turned his back on us at the last minute or the club decided to pretty much force Gordon out with such a derisory extension so we have him, Bain and Hazard.

Looked d biz on youtube, & is decent enuff at catching crossed high balls, but he's no where near the presence needed yet & this is 10IAR yr.
Looks timid & no voice = no control of defence.
Concerns confirmd wen reading dis last week.

“He’s still a bit of development to do, there’s no doubt, I was talking to Stevie Woods about him the other day, he says he just has to develop physically actually a little bit, and from a fitness perspective too” Packy Bonner.

Barkas needs 2 develop a Bark, he shud no b relyin on any defender 2 control his area.
Feck, he’s FINALLY found the spell checker, might actually read your posts now I can understand them 🤣🤣

Members online

Latest posts

Back