The celtic way

They might have to lengthen the Celtic Way for the amount of statues that would be needed for the greatest players in a Celtic jersey. I can imagine it causing arguments so It would have to be judged on other criteria like number of appearances or goal tallies (though that wouldn't work for Ronnie Simpson).

The Bunnet imo deserves some recognition for the stadium we have today, I’d have liked the Main Stand named after him but if not then a statue on the Celtic Way would be fitting
Much to my great shame, I gave that wee man pelters during his tenure.

A fitting tribute should be made to the man who ultimately intervened to save our unbroken history.

Maybe a statue of the bunnet booting farry up the arse would be apt!

The Bunnet imo deserves some recognition for the stadium we have today, I’d have liked the Main Stand named after him but if not then a statue on the Celtic Way would be fitting

Well 2019 will be 25 years since he saved Celtic, which seems like a nice anniversary to celebrate and show him the appreciation he deserves.

A think renaming the main stand the Fergus McCann Stand has a nice ring to it and would serve as a constant reminder of what might not be there if not for him.

Also, a "Bust of the Bunnet" on the Celtic Way is not only long overdue but, in my opinion, absolutely essential!

Well 2019 will be 25 years since he saved Celtic, which seems like a nice anniversary to celebrate and show him the appreciation he deserves.

A think renaming the main stand the Fergus McCann Stand has a nice ring to it and would serve as a constant reminder of what might not be there if not for him.

Also, a "Bust of the Bunnet" on the Celtic Way is not only long overdue but, in my opinion, absolutely essential!
Sorry to be a dissenting voice on this. Fergus got his reward when he walked away with millions.....as he said he would. Let's put up a statue go the thousands of fans who went into debt to buy shares and still own them,refusing to take the profit. Fergus McCann is a divisive figure among the fans. If you are looking for a real hero pick afan. Maybe a fan who didn't send the stewards into the stands at Celtic Park to remove a fans banner

Sorry to be a dissenting voice on this. Fergus got his reward when he walked away with millions.....as he said he would. Let's put up a statue go the thousands of fans who went into debt to buy shares and still own them,refusing to take the profit. Fergus McCann is a divisive figure among the fans. If you are looking for a real hero pick afan. Maybe a fan who didn't send the stewards into the stands at Celtic Park to remove a fans banner
To be fair, Micmac......He delivered on the promises!

Could have quite happily throttled him at times, but he was a shrewd, tough cookie and he left us under no illusions as to what he was about.

Hindsight being what it is, he must have surely known that the huns were living beyond their means and recent history has proven him to be correct.

I don't grudge him his millions, he put his money where his mouth was and saved us from the abyss.

We were gone at that point and there's no doubt that the bank were going to pull the plug because of the minty effect!

Without building a sustainable model, it's unlikely that DD would have bought into The Club, so I think we do owe Fergus a debt of gratitude, especially after I'd called him all the googly-eyed bastards under the sun for 5 years.

He might not be as fondly remembered as many of our great men, but he's earned his place for allowing us to maintain our unbroken history.

Could have quite happily throttled him at times, but he was a shrewd, tough cookie and he left us under no illusions as to what he was about.

Hindsight being what it is, he must have surely known that the huns were living beyond their means and recent history has proven him to be correct.

I don't grudge him his millions, he put his money where his mouth was and saved us from the abyss.

We were gone at that point and there's no doubt that the bank were going to pull the plug because of the minty effect!

Without building a sustainable model, it's unlikely that DD would have bought into The Club, so I think we do owe Fergus a debt of gratitude, especially after I'd called him all the googly-eyed bastards under the sun for 5 years.

He might not be as fondly remembered as many of our great men, but he's earned his place for allowing us to maintain our unbroken history.
I don't disagree with many of your points madeI would stop short at erecting a statue or naming a stand for him.

Can be a lonely world when you are involved in the running of the ship and do not get to enjoy the occassion fully, but what is even more sad is some never understood the love Fergus had for the club as he guided us into the next centenary years. HH Fergus

"
Fergus McCann in an interview prior to the Takeover,1994
"I can’t get hung upon this nine-in-a-row thing. We have a stadium to build and a long-term plan we need to stick to. This club is going to be around for the next 100 years and I’m not going to put that at risk just to stop Rangers reaching 10."

"The club was formed for charitable purposes. It is very important to remember that."
Fergus McCann
Shareholder:
"I tell you that 90% of the people here are not interested in business. They are not interested only in the playing side of things."
Fergus McCann:
"I tell you that without the business, there would be no club - and NO team."
1997 AGM
“It would’ve cost less, and left the previous owners with nothing, to go into liquidation. But it would also be humiliating for Celtic. So we paid all the bills. Celtic means the same to me as it does to other fans. I identify with the club and wish to be proud of it.”
Fergus McCann (2013)
"[Celtic] are not entirely surrounded by friends. The Scottish environment is such that there has been some prejudice against immigrants. Celtic is seen as having a big Catholic population among its support. Celtic supporters understand that Celtic is a symbol of their dealing with that by not being second to anyone."
Fergus McCann (2016)

Can be a lonely world when you are involved in the running of the ship and do not get to enjoy the occassion fully, but what is even more sad is some never understood the love Fergus had for the club as he guided us into the next centenary years. HH Fergus

"
Fergus McCann in an interview prior to the Takeover,1994
"I can’t get hung upon this nine-in-a-row thing. We have a stadium to build and a long-term plan we need to stick to. This club is going to be around for the next 100 years and I’m not going to put that at risk just to stop Rangers reaching 10."

"The club was formed for charitable purposes. It is very important to remember that."
Fergus McCann
Shareholder:
"I tell you that 90% of the people here are not interested in business. They are not interested only in the playing side of things."
Fergus McCann: "I tell you that without the business, there would be no club - and NO team."
1997 AGM
“It would’ve cost less, and left the previous owners with nothing, to go into liquidation. But it would also be humiliating for Celtic. So we paid all the bills. Celtic means the same to me as it does to other fans. I identify with the club and wish to be proud of it.”
Fergus McCann (2013)
"[Celtic] are not entirely surrounded by friends. The Scottish environment is such that there has been some prejudice against immigrants. Celtic is seen as having a big Catholic population among its support. Celtic supporters understand that Celtic is a symbol of their dealing with that by not being second to anyone."
Fergus McCann (2016)
Nough said. A Celtic man alright.
HH Fergus?

When you are asked " are you an investor?"by the man and told your investment is doing well, it kinda let's you know where the guy is coming from. I like many many others didn't give a fuck about an " investment" I cared about my club. The " investment" has not and never will be returned, the shares will stay with my family forever. I could not imagine many bigger insults to us all than to describe our uptake of shares other than an emotional imperative. He did what he said he would, surely did, and walked away with fair recompense fair enough. Again sorry to be a naysayers, am just the wrong person to beatify the bunnet .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back