The celtic way

And when you cannot live within your means and the christmas presents are been demanded, it usually ends up bad you either spiral down and out or you remain forever in a shadow with debts piled to the ceileng.
“It would’ve cost less, and left the previous owners with nothing, to go into liquidation. But it would also be humiliating for Celtic. So we paid all the bills. Celtic means the same to me as it does to other fans. I identify with the club and wish to be proud of it.”
Fergus McCann (2013)

https://philmacgiollabhain.ie/2018/11/19/january-light-blues-redux/
Hail! Hail! McCann!!! So grateful to him for keeping sticking the nut on those vermin custodians. Those meetings n egm's must've been akin to trying to teach a munkey to write while spanking its arse with a hammer? Those were terrifying years with long sessions of looking into oblivion, wouldn't wish it on me worst enemy! Haud oan a minute....

Fair enough I suppose, I dont know enough about your reasons to be against that idea, but personally I think especially given the benefit of hindsight regarding some of his bold decisions back when i couldnt understand why a club smaller than ours could afford much better investment in players.

I was once very critical of the bunnet, but since then I learned a lot more about finance and investment and well I thought wee McCann was very very good steward for Celtic especially now when you know for certain the whole system was trying to crush the club out of existence.

There may well have been better investors short term. But I geneuinley think the long term business strategy and his hard nosed and often brutal honesty is something that should be looked back and remembered for long long time.

Unless there is something vicious about the bloke that I am unaware I would say he was perhaps the best thing that happened to the club. He gave fans the chance to save their club by financing and putting in place at risk to his own capital the means to save the club.

He was confident the risk of his own capital was worth it, he didnt pretend or lie about his mission, he had the gumption to stick to the plan and laid the foundation for future growth and financial acumen at club, he gave ordianry fans the chance to be part of their own clubs wealth growth and laid a controvertial unpopular plan despite the whole of Scotland laughing at his frugality and he turned out to be right. Well at least from the way things have panned out he seems to have been vindicated in his fundamental business sustainablity concept.

I genuinely think a statue of the man isnt such a bad idea.
Holy fuck?. Took a while to read it but I'll 2nd that???

Note to TET. Keep it short and sweet???
Only kidding pal.
HH?
It's one of the many things I like about our man TET, Stevie.

He takes a good bit of time to consider his point before making it. Then he fully explains his point in type.

I could do better than to follow the big fella's example instead of doing my usual and jumping in with both feet first.....then my arms.....then my legs.....and everything else besides.

Then again, I've got the attention span of a peanut and would be off on a tangent by the second paragraph.

Some really interesting thoughts in this thread, my friends

HH to all

I am not at liberty to name names in an open forum but I am willing to discuss it privately should you wish to pm.

S
It WS never a risky investment,mate. All the spadework had been done some time before,please believe me, and by men who wanted nor received much credit for their efforts. Two at least, to my certain knowledge took time away from their very successful businesses to go around the world canvassing for investment should they be able to get rid of the board.

If as you say others were working hard to raise investment and get rid of the then board , why did they not step in ? After all , we were told that the Bank was only hours away from closing down the club before McCann stepped in with his money . When were they going to act ?

Second , why are they averse to being identified all these years later ? It is not as if there is business confidences being betrayed - this is now part of Celtic's history .

S

If as you say others were working hard to raise investment and get rid of the then board , why did they not step in ? After all , we were told that the Bank was only hours away from closing down the club before McCann stepped in with his money . When were they going to act ?

Second , why are they averse to being identified all these years later ? It is not as if there is business confidences being betrayed - this is now part of Celtic's history .
I think that is a key issue.......however the finance was provided - The Bunnet was front and centre all the way.

He took the flak from the press, SFA, minty and his minions, but especially a good portion of us (including myself).

He didn't hide and didn't back down.......that took a massive set of balls

S

Some of them did step in Millay. I would not divulge a confidence even years later.Idont see naming names makes a great difference to our discussion. The answers are out there ,what was done was done and what was won was our club. There were many players in it, that doesn't take away or add anything to Fergus McCann roll HH

Some of them did step in Millay. I would not divulge a confidence even years later.Idont see naming names makes a great difference to our discussion. The answers are out there ,what was done was done and what was won was our club. There were many players in it, that doesn't take away or add anything to Fergus McCann roll HH
Micmac, I personally believe that you have made your points fairly and reasonably throughout this discussion.

I think it is equally important to maintain your confidences and I respect your reasons and stance on this matter.

HH

Reactions: TET
Sorry to be a dissenting voice on this. Fergus got his reward when he walked away with millions.....as he said he would. Let's put up a statue go the thousands of fans who went into debt to buy shares and still own them,refusing to take the profit. Fergus McCann is a divisive figure among the fans. If you are looking for a real hero pick afan. Maybe a fan who didn't send the stewards into the stands at Celtic Park to remove a fans banner

I agreed with Tommy Burns. He failed to give him money for a CB and in the end walked away with over £40m. I never liked him and felt he let Tommy down. If anybody deserves a statue it’s TB.

Player wise, I reckon the greatest Celtic goalscorer of all time, Mr Mcgrory should be next on a plinth outside Paradise.
Fuck that actually, get him up in George Square!

Reactions: TET
Back