The elusive Left Back

Been thinking about oor left back position for a long time noo....Until Tierney arrived we tried oot lots.....I really think if we get a decent Left Back signed....We will then be totally ready for the season ahead....Here is a list of Left Backs we have played in the past.. 🍀

Lee Naylor 2006-
Mark Wilson 2006- (really a right-back)
Mo Camara 2005-06
Ross Wallace 2002-06 (started as left midfielder)
Ulrik Laursen 2002-05 (also played centre half)
Momo Sylla 2001-05 (he played everywhere, including here)
Joos Valgaeren 2000-05 (on occasion)
Steve Guppy 2001-04 (on occasion, really a left midfielder)
Stephen Crainey 1999-2004 (full-back)
Michael Gray 2003
Tom Boyd 1992-2003
Stephane Mahe 1997-2001
Tosh McKinlay 1994-99 (originally played at full-back)
Dariusz Wdowczyk 1989-94 (really a central defender)
Paul McLaughlin 1989-91 (a full-back, made only 5 appearances)
Anton Rogan 1986-91 (really a full-back)
Danny McGrain 1967-87 (really a right-back)
Mark Reid 1977-85
Alan Sneddon 1977-81
Graeme Sinclair 1982-85
Brian Whitaker 1983-84
Andy Lynch 1973-80 - captain for two years while McGrain was injured
Jim Brogan 1963-75 (often played as sweeper)
Tommy Gemmell 1961-71 (also played right-back)
Jim Kennedy 1955-65
Frank Meechan 1952-59
Sean Fallon 1950-58 (played full-back and centre forward)
Alex Rollo 1948-54
Tosh and Stefan Madhied were gems!

This is a position the whole of Scottish football and probably most of English football know we are struggling with.
We are reportedly looking at a 20 year old left back from Charlon Athletic who their manager does not want to sell,
Their manager said this boy is a work in progress,should we be getting involved with work in progress players at this stage when it is a more than decent left back is what we need asap ..

HH.
Spot on GS. No more projects. Can't be having TV1 going into cardiac arrest lol HH

Some great manes there, how I’d love to have a Tom Boyd, or even an anton rogan, both would run through brick walls for the team👍
I'll agree with Boyd, but IMO Anton was a liability. No doubt we would give absolutely everything for the Hoops but I thought he was very limited as a player. I might be in the minority in that view but as much as I liked him I often used to watch him in fear.

Your right sp but he also pulled us oot the shit a couple of times wi a worldy free kick noo n again HH
No that season he did'nae, TT. He was'nae even gettin a game till the Ne'er's Day match up wie the dead club.

I'm not gettin on his case, he surpassed our expectations and will always be "one of our own", but check his goal stats that season........not impressive, TT. One goal in the league that season.

Well said BB, bring Charlie home!!!!!!! 🍺 🥳
My mate is like you Duffy a Mulgrewiac. He went a bit further though, strayed beyond to the point of bizzare. patter was was trying to hook up his maw n Charlie. While he was usually loaded with the latter.
Used to tell us "listen lads just because your maw doesnae have a chance ye canny stand in the way of true love"
"It'll no be that when every c@#$ is trying to come up to mine on Christmas night for a kerryoot"

To the both of you. Sad as it is. I can't see it happening 😂

Back