The GAA Remembers.

That's what the wider British population don't see, Jinky. Those are the things that went unreported across the whole of the broadcast and print media.

Sure - we all heard about the 'terror' campaigns being waged upon the mainland and in the north, but the coverage and reportage was a cyclopic view of events.

In the last few years, there has been a slightly wider lens cast upon those events which occurred in Ireland, but it is still far too little and it is far far too late.

If these events were fairly and forensically covered, then I would like to hope and think that those 'heroes' would be held accountable for their actions; unfortunately - that would appear to be a forlorn hope after another fairly recent whitewash of the atrocity in '72 which seen one token parafucker be held up as a pawn for how the horror unfolded.

Perhaps if the wider British population were to see those tiny coffins and the sheer amount of coffins throughout the years, then perhaps they'd realise that their tanks and their guns are not the tools of freedom, but rather the weapons of mass destruction that they were/are.

Forgiveness may come after they truly hold themselves to account and not after some half-hearted, wishy-washy apology from the whore of windsor and her equally obnoxious prime minister of the time.

I was delighted that the GAA raised the standard of forgiveness when they allowed the British rugby teams to be privileged enough to step inside Croke Park. I was brought to tears by the pride I felt when tens of thousands of Irish men and women stood in silence while that awful anthem rang out. I was even more full of pride as Ireland dismantled their team that day. It was a symbol of Irish resistance and even though rugby may not be the most popular sport in that beautiful green island - Ireland, quite literally, beat the British and the English at their own game.
I remember that day well also sp but the game was only played at Croke Park due to the redevelopment of landsdown Road and was first foreign game as the gaa call it ever played at Croke Park.
What a great relief that Ireland beat them, in fact a right good going over and as folklore has it, Jerry Adams laid a wreath in the centre circle after the game in memory of the 15 English men who had just been murdered out there

Anyone notice Lennon had his coat zipped up at the start of the game but pulled the zip down to display the poppy. He may well have been told to do so. I don't remember Rogers being forced to wear a poppy as Celtic manager so this new approach would suggest 'poppy normalisation' by the board. Expect to see poppies on player jerseys within the next year or two.
I wouldn't be so sure about that btw, Adidas or any other manufacturer can demand it but we dont have to buy the jersey for that season. In this case it's the supporters who hold the power I doubt the board will want a high profile deal only for supporters to revolt and refuse to buy the gear and I could see that happen for I wont buy it.

Individuals at Celtic should be allowed to wear the poppy should they want to but Glasgow Celtic f.c cannot blindly adhere to others wishes namely those who bemoan the fact that our top doesnt display it. This is just as or even more so important than the flying of the tricolour and the club must remember its roots for who else will if not our own? If Adidas try to incorporate the poppy into matchday strips I predict an unfortunate end to a beautiful relationship 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇮🇪

Members online

Latest posts

Back