The GAA Remembers.

As a gaa man born and bred, I find it absolutely fuckin disgraceful and downright offensive that a thread started by lubo to highlight what the Brits done on innocent people playing and supporting their native game has been twisted into a fuckin poppy debate. I'm fuckin disgusted that this fuckin symbol of Brit oppression has hijacked a thread honouring innocent Irish people slaughtered by mongrels the fuckin poppy represents.
You can stick your fuckin poppy up your hole!

Mad you would get poppy apologists on a thread concerning the British army massacre of innocent Irish people.
Mad that you wish to deny the freedom of others to remember their loved ones in a way how they wish and also if some of the people on here thought that wearing a poppy was insensitive around an particular area tof sensitiviy that has a lot of issues regards it then I am sure they would respectfully accept the consensus in feelings, but no-one should make people do anything. after all thats why so many died. Don't tell me how to suck eggs though, that is lecturing.

Mad you would get poppy apologists on a thread concerning the British army massacre of innocent Irish people.
i don't think anybody is a poppy apologist, they just don't take to people telling them or their manager what they can/can't do or should/shouldn't do
Nobody hopefully is naive enough to think anything other than the British estabishment historically were among the most atrocious self entitled murderous bastards to have walked earth

I don't give a fuck about Brits wearing a poppy. If you want to glorify Brit imperialism work away. An Irishman wearing one is a whole different matter. It's a betrayal.
If i want to, you will need to look up glorify again. for its not as I can see taking place on here and aside you are the only one who has brought in brits to the discussion. I think people were expressing their oipinions democratically, whilst some want to force theirs on others, sort of what the wars was about, and the birth of the Papaver.

When the war ended, I don't know if I was more relieved that we'd won or that I didn't have to go back. Passchendaele was a disastrous battle—thousands and thousands of young lives were lost. It makes me angry. Earlier this year, I went back to Ypres to shake the hand of Charles Kuentz, Germany's only surviving veteran from the war. It was emotional. He is 107. We've had 87 years to think what war is. To me, it's a licence to go out and murder. Why should the British government call me up and take me out to a battlefield to shoot a man I never knew, whose language I couldn't speak? All those lives lost for a war finished over a table. Now what is the sense in that?

I think the the GAA video is beautifully done. The way it focused on the people and how they were just normal fans doing what we do now a days before a match, before such a terrible event. Well done to the GAA. Id be proud to be a GAA fan after watching. I sent it to my mother in laws partner who is a Mayo fan. He said his grandad was there that day.

I think the the GAA video is beautifully done. The way it focused on the people and how they were just normal fans doing what we do now a days before a match, before such a terrible event. Well done to the GAA. Id be proud to be a GAA fan after watching. I sent it to my mother in laws partner who is a Mayo fan. He said his grandad was there that day.
i think the video has been lost somewhat
i agree it was beautifully done and reflects well on the GAA

Not going to belabour the point too much, but I don't really give a monkey's aboot what folk choose to wear as long as they don't expect me to assume their position on these issues.

I don't have a problem with folk wearing a poppy because I think that most people wear it in good faith regarding the war efforts. No doubt certain factions have tried to politicise it and make it a statement aboot something else, but these are the same dimwits who dress up in clown costumes during July and deliberately try and antagonise a significant minority of the population who they somehow see as being inferior.

The truth is, I wouldn't even bother too much about the clown parades if they kept themselves to themselves and didn't do it with such animosity. The Black Watch have a big presence in Dundee and I make no apologies for absolutely loathing those bastarts, but they have their own club they go to and they can do what they want as long as it doesn't interfere wie me.

Ironically, my Chapel (St Patrick's) is on the same street as the Black Watch clubbie (Arthurstone Terrace), but to the best of my knowledge - there haven't been any major conflicts.

I've never lived in Ireland, but I've been there often enough to know that the wound still lies deep. I don't think that these things will ever be forgotten, but I do believe that someday they may be forgiven.

Totally agree lubo. Growing up in a large Irish family, like most others there was religion and Gaelic football. Football was the religion in our house. I couldn't even begin to tell you what both my parents did for the gaa. Almost every good memory I have as a child involves something to do with my local club and even to this day I do what my parents and grandparents have done by volunteering at my local club. We have an old saying "one life one club". My children are now the fourth generation at the same club, something that makes me proud. Unfortunately politics is a large part of the gaa going back to the beginning of the gaa in 1884 when the English tried to do away with our national game as well as our language. I actually hadn't seen the video until you posted it and I have to admit it brought back a lot of the memories of stories I had been told about what happened on that awful day. It also stirred up a lot of mixed emotions that you sometimes lock away which I won't bother to list here. But I have to say more than anything, I think it hit the spot it was trying to by showing up the Brits as the cruel murdering bastards they are. It's just a shame your thread was hijacked.
From a proud gaa man, thanks for posting it.

Not going to belabour the point too much, but I don't really give a monkey's aboot what folk choose to wear as long as they don't expect me to assume their position on these issues.

I don't have a problem with folk wearing a poppy because I think that most people wear it in good faith regarding the war efforts. No doubt certain factions have tried to politicise it and make it a statement aboot something else, but these are the same dimwits who dress up in clown costumes during July and deliberately try and antagonise a significant minority of the population who they somehow see as being inferior.

The truth is, I wouldn't even bother too much about the clown parades if they kept themselves to themselves and didn't do it with such animosity. The Black Watch have a big presence in Dundee and I make no apologies for absolutely loathing those bastarts, but they have their own club they go to and they can do what they want as long as it doesn't interfere wie me.

Ironically, my Chapel (St Patrick's) is on the same street as the Black Watch clubbie (Arthurstone Terrace), but to the best of my knowledge - there haven't been any major conflicts.

I've never lived in Ireland, but I've been there often enough to know that the wound still lies deep. I don't think that these things will ever be forgotten, but I do believe that someday they may be forgiven.
Unfortunately bigman I had many a run in with them fuckers!

Unfortunately bigman I had many a run in with them fuckers!
I've often stated that we don't get too much of the bullshit up here, D, but it does exist in certain areas: DC Thomson and certain council departments.

They bastarts do their minimum service and are guaranteed a sweet wee number in either of the aforementioned places of employment. Little less than being a serial killer will get them sacked. Ironic really considering they fucking are all serial killers.

When you see young 12 and 14 year old girls lying in thier coffins with large bandages wrapped around thier small heads because they been crushed in by a plastic bullet fired by a British soldier and then somebody says you should honour these soldiers by whering poppy never in a million years .

When you see young 12 and 14 year old girls lying in thier coffins with large bandages wrapped around thier small heads because they been crushed in by a plastic bullet fired by a British soldier and then somebody says you should honour these soldiers by whering poppy never in a million years .
That's what the wider British population don't see, Jinky. Those are the things that went unreported across the whole of the broadcast and print media.

Sure - we all heard about the 'terror' campaigns being waged upon the mainland and in the north, but the coverage and reportage was a cyclopic view of events.

In the last few years, there has been a slightly wider lens cast upon those events which occurred in Ireland, but it is still far too little and it is far far too late.

If these events were fairly and forensically covered, then I would like to hope and think that those 'heroes' would be held accountable for their actions; unfortunately - that would appear to be a forlorn hope after another fairly recent whitewash of the atrocity in '72 which seen one token parafucker be held up as a pawn for how the horror unfolded.

Perhaps if the wider British population were to see those tiny coffins and the sheer amount of coffins throughout the years, then perhaps they'd realise that their tanks and their guns are not the tools of freedom, but rather the weapons of mass destruction that they were/are.

Forgiveness may come after they truly hold themselves to account and not after some half-hearted, wishy-washy apology from the whore of windsor and her equally obnoxious prime minister of the time.

I was delighted that the GAA raised the standard of forgiveness when they allowed the British rugby teams to be privileged enough to step inside Croke Park. I was brought to tears by the pride I felt when tens of thousands of Irish men and women stood in silence while that awful anthem rang out. I was even more full of pride as Ireland dismantled their team that day. It was a symbol of Irish resistance and even though rugby may not be the most popular sport in that beautiful green island - Ireland, quite literally, beat the British and the English at their own game.

I apologise shammy. I just thought it was a beautiful video and knew we had a few GAA fans on the noise. I thought they would appreciate seeing it. I really wasn't looking for a debate on the poppy 😔
Your sentiments were sound and your efforts greatly appreciated, Lubo.

Unfortunately - at this particular time of year, that spectre always hangs above us and it's difficult for some of us not to equate one with the other.

You have nothing to apologise for, Lubo........you did a grand thing. It was I and others who shifted direction and I'm sure the vast majority know that you delivered a fitting tribute to the GAA and those who they were commemorating.

That's what the wider British population don't see, Jinky. Those are the things that went unreported across the whole of the broadcast and print media.

Sure - we all heard about the 'terror' campaigns being waged upon the mainland and in the north, but the coverage and reportage was a cyclopic view of events.

In the last few years, there has been a slightly wider lens cast upon those events which occurred in Ireland, but it is still far too little and it is far far too late.

If these events were fairly and forensically covered, then I would like to hope and think that those 'heroes' would be held accountable for their actions; unfortunately - that would appear to be a forlorn hope after another fairly recent whitewash of the atrocity in '72 which seen one token parafucker be held up as a pawn for how the horror unfolded.

Perhaps if the wider British population were to see those tiny coffins and the sheer amount of coffins throughout the years, then perhaps they'd realise that their tanks and their guns are not the tools of freedom, but rather the weapons of mass destruction that they were/are.

Forgiveness may come after they truly hold themselves to account and not after some half-hearted, wishy-washy apology from the whore of windsor and her equally obnoxious prime minister of the time.

I was delighted that the GAA raised the standard of forgiveness when they allowed the British rugby teams to be privileged enough to step inside Croke Park. I was brought to tears by the pride I felt when tens of thousands of Irish men and women stood in silence while that awful anthem rang out. I was even more full of pride as Ireland dismantled their team that day. It was a symbol of Irish resistance and even though rugby may not be the most popular sport in that beautiful green island - Ireland, quite literally, beat the British and the English at their own game.

May the British establishment and all who sail in her.....burn in hell...

Back