The Importance Of This Site And Getting Everyone On It

James Forrest

The Emperor of Ice Cream
Staff member
https://thecelticblog.com/2018/09/b...get-to-the-bottom-of-whats-wrong-in-our-game/

The above link is for the article I posted last night.

That article is about us, about all of us, about fan-power and it contends that we are the last best chance of getting change in the SFA. There are a lot of threads on this site already about that very subject, and I can tell you that moves are afoot in various places and between various parties to move us beyond the current impasse, where at the moment - and it pains me to write this - the biggest cheats in the history of sport in Scotland and probably Britain are going to get away with it.

As things stand right now, there is almost zero chance of us winning on title stripping, the Survival Lie, the Victim Lie, EBT use, corruption at the SFA, the need for an inquiry and, horribly, even Resolution 12 ending in something like justice appears as forlorn hope. Note the stony silence out of Hampden on whether they intend to take that matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport ... they would dearly love that issue to go away.

Right now, as it stands, Celtic is out of remedies. Celtic cannot push on any of these issues because we do not have the support of other clubs. The idea that Celtic could take the matter through the courts has understandable appeal for some people, but I can assure them that the club has explored that avenue with the lawyers and where it's not absolutely impossible the truth is that even if we did, we'd be subjected to the full range of UEFA sanctions for doing so; they would see us banned from European football for a minimum of one year and perhaps even longer.

As I say in the article, one door is definitely closed to us. But there are other doors. Do not underestimate the influence that we have as fans. Celtic supporters put more money into the game here than those of any other club. Any other club, including DeadCo, for all they might claim otherwise. On top of that, I don't think there is a single club on this island which is more engaged over Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and in supporting New Media as ours is. The birth of the Internet Bampots has snatched the news agenda away from the MSM and put it into our hands, and Celtic sites are read across Scottish football by every fan at every club who's asking the questions that matter. They know we're one of the key driving forces of reform.

One of the reasons for that is rarely discussed, perhaps even rarely acknowledged; we are not asking for anything that isn't completely fair.

Celtic sites are not pushing for our club to be selfish, or to look after its own interests first. When we talk about reforms - changes to the SFA elections procedures, publication of how clubs vote on major measures, financial fair play regulations, openness about how decision making works, accountability to the supporters and a full and comprehensive investigation into the events of 2012 and certain matters before and since - we are asking for things that will benefit the game as a whole. None of this would work to the detriment of other clubs. None would carve up territory or power and hand it to us.

We say what we mean and we mean what we say. Fans elsewhere get it, and support it.

This site is an amalgam of the work done by three Celtic fan blogs; The CelticBlog itself, VideoCelts and The Celtic Star. Those involved in those sites have wide experience working in Celtic cyberspace and have links with various other sites including CQN, E-Tims, Celts From The South, IndyCelts and others. Whilst the brainchild of the three sites mentioned first, we consider this a partnership involving all Celtic fans.

Indeed, we consider this a partnership which wants to link arms with sites which aren't exclusively for our supporters; some will disagree with me, but I consider The Scottish Football Monitor to still be the most important site on Scottish football cyberspace, with its wide range of views from across the game. Those who run it are allies and friends; don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

This forum is here to help us organise better.

Nothing like it has been done before, and there will be ups and downs and hiccups along the way, but the unified nature of it marks it out as special, as different, as something that can drive, and then affect, real change.

Hey, you might say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

One road has closed for us; we can no longer rely on the club to keep pushing the issues. It's our turn now.

As I said in the piece, in a section quoting one of my favourite writers; "I said victory could not be achieved by arms. I still hope for victory, but not by arms."

The fans are the real power in football in Scotland; it's just that they haven't really realised it yet.

Part of our job here is to give them a shake, and wake them the Hell up.

If you know people who care about these issues, get them involved on this site and let's start talking about how we fix this.

Right now, as it stands, Celtic is out of remedies. Celtic cannot push on any of these issues because we do not have the support of other clubs.

We do need the support of the other clubs, they are not willing to back us up as things stand so what’s our options.?

A boycott of away games and Hampden cup games is the logical solution but there are many of us who never miss any game that would not support a boycott so what else is there.?

https://thecelticblog.com/2018/09/b...get-to-the-bottom-of-whats-wrong-in-our-game/

That article is about us, about all of us, about fan-power and it contends that we are the last best chance of getting change in the SFA. There are a lot of threads on this site already about that very subject, and I can tell you that moves are afoot in various places and between various parties to move us beyond the current impasse, where at the moment - and it pains me to write this - the biggest cheats in the history of sport in Scotland and probably Britain are going to get away with it.

As things stand right now, there is almost zero chance of us winning on title stripping, the Survival Lie, the Victim Lie, EBT use, corruption at the SFA, the need for an inquiry and, horribly, even Resolution 12 ending in something like justice appears as forlorn hope. Note the stony silence out of Hampden on whether they intend to take that matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport ... they would dearly love that issue to go away.

Right now, as it stands, Celtic is out of remedies. Celtic cannot push on any of these issues because we do not have the support of other clubs. The idea that Celtic could take the matter through the courts has understandable appeal for some people, but I can assure them that the club has explored that avenue with the lawyers and where it's not absolutely impossible the truth is that even if we did, we'd be subjected to the full range of UEFA sanctions for doing so; they would see us banned from European football for a minimum of one year and perhaps even longer.

As I say in the article, one door is definitely closed to us. But there are other doors. Do not underestimate the influence that we have as fans. Celtic supporters put more money into the game here than those of any other club. Any other club, including DeadCo, for all they might claim otherwise. On top of that, I don't think there is a single club on this island which is more engaged over Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and in supporting New Media as ours is. The birth of the Internet Bampots has snatched the news agenda away from the MSM and put it into our hands, and Celtic sites are read across Scottish football by every fan at every club who's asking the questions that matter. They know we're one of the key driving forces of reform.

One of the reasons for that is rarely discussed, perhaps even rarely acknowledged; we are not asking for anything that isn't completely fair.

Celtic sites are not pushing for our club to be selfish, or to look after its own interests first. When we talk about reforms - changes to the SFA elections procedures, publication of how clubs vote on major measures, financial fair play regulations, openness about how decision making works, accountability to the supporters and a full and comprehensive investigation into the events of 2012 and certain matters before and since - we are asking for things that will benefit the game as a whole. None of this would work to the detriment of other clubs. None would carve up territory or power and hand it to us.

We say what we mean and we mean what we say. Fans elsewhere get it, and support it.

This site is an amalgam of the work done by three Celtic fan blogs; The CelticBlog itself, VideoCelts and The Celtic Star. Those involved in those sites have wide experience working in Celtic cyberspace and have links with various other sites including CQN, E-Tims, Celts From The South, IndyCelts and others. Whilst the brainchild of the three sites mentioned first, we consider this a partnership involving all Celtic fans.

Indeed, we consider this a partnership which wants to link arms with sites which aren't exclusively for our supporters; some will disagree with me, but I consider The Scottish Football Monitor to still be the most important site on Scottish football cyberspace, with its wide range of views from across the game. Those who run it are allies and friends; don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Nothing like it has been done before, and there will be ups and downs and hiccups along the way, but the unified nature of it marks it out as special, as different, as something that can drive, and then affect, real change.

One road has closed for us; we can no longer rely on the club to keep pushing the issues. It's our turn now.

As I said in the piece, in a section quoting one of my favourite writers; "I said victory could not be achieved by arms. I still hope for victory, but not by arms."

The fans are the real power in football in Scotland; it's just that they haven't really realised it yet.

If you know people who care about these issues, get them involved on this site and let's start talking about how we fix this.
Well said James..
But what's the point in having a CEO chopping and changing boards domestically, while sitting on one of the most powerful at uefa if he's just going to sit there saying and doing nothing..

We do need the support of the other clubs, they are not willing to back us up as things stand so what’s our options.?

A boycott of away games and Hampden cup games is the logical solution but there are many of us who never miss any game that would not support a boycott so what else is there.?

It needs the fans of those clubs to bring pressure on their officials. A bhoycott of away games should be a last resort. I think a dialogue between Celtic fans and fan groups of other clubs to get their opinions and views would be useful.

However, I’m also well aware that Celtic as a club and its fans aren’t held in high regard by many fans from other clubs, the term “Old Firm” ties us to Sevco as much as it used to tie us to Rangers. It’s still widely used in the media, by fans of other clubs, and even many of our own fans.

If we’re going to effect change we need to reach out to other clubs’ fan groups to try and destroy that term once and for all. We may have to take and endure some criticism in the short term but I’m sure we’re big enough and magnanimous enough to know we’re not perfect and if it’s for the long term greater good then I’m sure it will be a small price to pay.

What amazes me about Sevco fans (this is amongst a loooong list of things that stretch credulity to it’s limits) is how they feel that THEY are being hard done to by the SFA. Insanity given the recent past, and the not so recent. Entitlement must shade their opinions greatly for this to be the case but it is a real thing or appears to be real on their forums.

With that in mind, could we, how can I put this, “harness” their issues with the SFA to achieve our own objectives? I want to stress here too, I’m not saying this will or could work, however, when the powers that be ONLY cater to their whims above all others, I feel their involvement could be a game changer.

For example, we NEED a review into the refereeing situation in this country. It’s obvious that it is not transparent enough when compared with say England. Sevco fans? They feel referees are biased against them. Laughable but....they could be the key to getting a full review of procedures. I know it may seem unpalatable to some and I’ve little idea how it could begin but could they be used as a Trojan horse of sorts in this regard? The ends would justify the means for me as Sunday was one of the worst refereeing performances I’ve saw in a long time. It cannot continue or we will be cheated out of cups or titles again.

Other fan groups, as mentioned previously, of course would be welcome allies too but is the answer in a fan group sense staring us in the face? Thoughts welcome, as are critiques. I only even came to this idea after many, many years of hoping and wondering how we could get some kind of fairness into the game. We haven’t been able to affect significant change at the SFA but if we could ensure it happened on the pitch...

BHH

We should try and come at this from several angles. I suggest contacting the SFA's sponsors and partners and ask them whether they are satisfied that the organisation they sponsor or are in partnership with, operate in a closed, non-transparent and frankly embarrassing fashion which brings discredit in turn to their own organisation. A quick look at the SFA website shows their partners and sponsors. They include:

Addidas
IMG (Sports marketing)
Mars
McDonalds
Specsavers
William Hill

They also include Sport Scotland which is funded by the Scottish Government, i.e. us. The Scottish Government will increase sportscotland’s core funding by £2 million in 2018-19, from £29.7 million to £31.7 million, to prioritise the development of sport within Scotland.

SportScotland's values are:
  • Sport should be open to everyone and conducted in a way which promotes equality and respect for others.
  • Competition should to be fair and take place within the spirit and rules of (the) sport. Success should result from honest endeavour, training and preparation by the athlete and impartiality by those who officiate
  • Athletes must comply with the World Anti-Doping Code and those who work with athletes should put their interests first and not abuse their trust.
  • All those involved in sport should put its interests before any personal or financial gain.
  • Sponsorship and other commercial involvement should be compatible with the ethics and values of sport.
Their relationship with the SFA, imo, does not sit well with these values. SportScotland currently have a survey running on their website which is interesting.

I don’t think they follow any “values” as such Deek, certainly none of the above. In my opinion, they are a monster created by the inadequacy of those assigned to govern them (SFA).

But as long as we are winning they will cry foul to the SFA, media, basically anyone that gives them the chance. And every outlet gives them that chance. Remember “Ref watch” in the Daily Record as we went for four in a row under Strachan?

We should endeavour to get their weight behind change, let them help us open Pandora’s box and use that to create a better system for us. Sponsors actually value THEM as part of this fake “old firm” dichotomy. So whilst I understand the desire to hit them and the SFA in the pocket under the “money talks” angle, I don’t think it would be successful.

Nothing to stop us trying that mind you, anything at all to move us nearer to a fair game would get my backing. It’s rigged nature will hurt us again someday. Gives me nightmares. I don’t mind us losing games or trophies on a level playing field. That’s part of being a Celtic fan. But this joke system must be overturned because it’s getting to the stage our trophies are a symbol of beating a corrupt system. Which whilst laudable, isn’t correct.

BHH

I welcome anything that can bring about change to the whole rotten system up here . The way that we as paying customers ( I know we’re much more than that ) have been totally disregarded by the powers that be and the MSM has at times left me feeling like what’s the point. I’ve actually thought of just giving up with football in Scotland as the whole system is rotten to the core . Why should I though, I’ve done nothing wrong , I just want the truth to be acknowledged and those responsible for it held to account. Is it too much to ask that when I’m paying a premium for Season Tickets, TV Packages and Merchandise that im doing so in the knowledge that everything within our game is being run for the good of all our clubs and not just one particular club/company. So please count me in on any action that can bring about change although I feel like it at times I’m a long way from giving up on the game I love.

It needs the fans of those clubs to bring pressure on their officials. A bhoycott of away games should be a last resort. I think a dialogue between Celtic fans and fan groups of other clubs to get their opinions and views would be useful.

However, I’m also well aware that Celtic as a club and its fans aren’t held in high regard by many fans from other clubs, the term “Old Firm” ties us to Sevco as much as it used to tie us to Rangers. It’s still widely used in the media, by fans of other clubs, and even many of our own fans.

If we’re going to effect change we need to reach out to other clubs’ fan groups to try and destroy that term once and for all. We may have to take and endure some criticism in the short term but I’m sure we’re big enough and magnanimous enough to know we’re not perfect and if it’s for the long term greater good then I’m sure it will be a small price to pay.

I think one of the 1st things that needs to be done is our club comes out and says there is no old firm and as we own the rights to that term sue anyone that uses it without our permission.
The 2nd thing is for our leaders of fans groups is to find out why fans of other clubs will not stand together to force change and if they won`t join us an away boycott should be in place for those that won`t stand with us.

James,I totally agree with what you are trying to achieve,but remember we will be battling against the establishment (Clammy Claw).T they're Membership is world wide,but I like you are up for the fight.HH.

Yeah I agree mate.
The principal of starving subservient/compliant clubs and particularly the sfa of income is good. The difficult part is trying to convince guys/girls who attend every or the majority of games to get on board just won’t work.
Let’s just hope our club make a stand, regardless whether it’s roundly supported or not. That way, at least we know our clubs’ custodians are doing the right thing.

You got a link for that survey Deek?

I just went back into the SportScotland website to get the link. It takes you to Survey Monkey who are managing the survey for them. When I tried to go into the survey page to copy the link, the following message came up: "This survey is currently closed. Please contact the author of this survey for further assistance."

It could be that the site won't let me have a second shot at the survey. I tried again using a VPN but got the same result so it might really be closed. However, if you want to see if it works for you here is the link:
https://sportscotland.org.uk/funding/ The link to survey monkey is on the page in a pink box.

Members online

Latest posts

Back