The Larsson Benchmark

No one compares to the King of Kings!!!! :eek:
You also have to consider the goals Henrik created!

A proper all-round footballer and the price tag on Henrik in his prime playing in the modern era would be a £100 million plus loose change.

I'm not sure (unless wee Karamoko lives up to his early potential) that we'll ever see a player like that in the Hoops again.

Stats only tell a part of the story regarding Henrik (and the stats stack up), there was something otherworldly about what he brought to our Club.

Sandman, in another thread, wrote about the 5-years from 90-95. That whole nightmare was almost worth it just to see the ray of sunshine that was Henrik Larsson.

To think too, after his first appearance against Hibs, I was calling him for all the hopeless bastarts that ever walked the earth.

Never been so happy as to have been proved so wrong!

A proper all-round footballer and the price tag on Henrik in his prime playing in the modern era would be a £100 million plus loose change.

I'm not sure (unless wee Karamoko lives up to his early potential) that we'll ever see a player like that in the Hoops again.

Stats only tell a part of the story regarding Henrik (and the stats stack up), there was something otherworldly about what he brought to our Club.

Sandman, in another thread, wrote about the 5-years from 90-95. That whole nightmare was almost worth it just to see the ray of sunshine that was Henrik Larsson.

To think too, after his first appearance against Hibs, I was calling him for all the hopeless bastarts that ever walked the earth.

We will never see his likes Again..Long Live the King.??????

His work rate off the ball was immense.

Have to say i have never seen such a hardworking player with the amount of goals amassed and setup. SP.

I loved watching him ply his trade.

The guy is just an absolute dream. Totally focussed and an out n out winner.

Howcan he be so grounded in nootmality when we have seen many a brat in the game?

Remember the horrific leg break. No-one thought he’d come back from that and be the same yet the machine that he is thankfully does not like to be pigeon-holed.

HH ☘️

http://celticbynumberscom.ipage.com/the-larsson-benchmark/

Larsson represents the high water mark for Celtic strikers in recent times. How does the current crop compare to the King of Kings?
The other thing about Henke is he never negotiated one contract, agreed to everyone of the playing contracts without needing talks between agent and club, don't know anything about the image rights side of things, that may have been different, I can't see any world class player we may get in the future showing anything like the loyalty to our club that the king of kings did.

Absolutely top notch, CBN

Privilege to have witnessed a true quality professional as Henke! The happiness he provided is mind-blowing!
Made a few bob off the bookies because of him, too!!!
I agree that his assists must be a conservative number, must have set up at the very least over 200. His partnership with Sutty alone was exceptional. Even when wee Sid was beside him they were great!
Always remember leaving Paradise thinking 'Surely he can't play any better than that!' Next week he was even better! Remember a game against the sheep when he wasn't really in the game he walked off the park with 4 goals in a 7-0 win! Never messed us about with contracts, the only time you heard about it was the length of time he extended it. Sheer class!
Thank you Henke! Legend ?

Larsson was imo the greatest player to play in Scotland ever. As others have noted, he's, with good reason, remembered for his goal scoring, but his creativity in terms of assists and link up play was every bit as good as his finishing. He had everything and some of his play was baffling - like the fact he was something like 5'9 yet could with ease win headers in the box against 6ft-plus defenders. The trick seemed to be in his almost superhuman timing and ability to read the game - players talk about it like a 'sixth sense'. But there was nothing he couldn't do - he was a number 9, 10 and 11 all in one player. Could score for and against any team on earth. It was a privilege to watch him and for him to be synonymous with our club.

If only we could get another Larsson.

More chance of getting a RB who isn’t free and two CB’s, or even one this window. Which boils down to no chance.

I was in Lyon when he broke his leg and thought that could be it so horrific it looked. The wee man had other ideas and for me was our best player since wee Jinky.

A legend, and I’m just glad I saw him so many times. Maybe wee Dembele will be in his class. Here’s hoping.

Thinking back to those wonderful years..A truly incredible team, With a top notch manager..Personally..Seville is My greatest football memory..(Not for result)..But purely for the whole experience of being there..What I witnessed on the day of the game in the square..Will truly live with me for the rest of my life..It was incredible..To see so many of the Celtic Family there in Seville..It was truly surreal..But equally emphasised how big are world wide..My only one disappointment was to see the Kings face after scoring 2 goals in a European final and still losing..If one single person deserved a winners medal..It was the great man..I was immensely proud of all the Celtic fans who handled the defeat with immense credit..We truly deserved our award..God bless this incredible club..Till i take my last breath..???????????????

Absolutely top notch, CBN

Privilege to have witnessed a true quality professional as Henke! The happiness he provided is mind-blowing!
Made a few bob off the bookies because of him, too!!!
I agree that his assists must be a conservative number, must have set up at the very least over 200. His partnership with Sutty alone was exceptional. Even when wee Sid was beside him they were great!
Always remember leaving Paradise thinking 'Surely he can't play any better than that!' Next week he was even better! Remember a game against the sheep when he wasn't really in the game he walked off the park with 4 goals in a 7-0 win! Never messed us about with contracts, the only time you heard about it was the length of time he extended it. Sheer class!
Thank you Henke! Legend ?

He had a great partnership with Big John as well so I think it was Henrik who could read players as well as the game so brilliantly.

Members online

Back