The Neil Lennon Debate. NL v BR, (different styles)

Brimcbhoy

There has been a debate furiously raging over on CQN between many Celtic fans arguing passionately the reasons for and against appointing NL to the Managers job permanently. Notably between two of the most outspoken members of CQN. I'll not name them, they know who they are.

Now we all have our opinions on this. There have been all sorts of accusations and insults thrown around in a way that must be making our enemies howl with laughter. They like nothing more than to observe some Green on Green action. Lets face it, theres not much else in their lives, apart from marching around the streets snarling at anyone wearing green or attending a place of worship of one certain religion, (pssst its the same God as theirs).

Now my attention has been draw to an article claiming Frank McAvennie has stated NL was shouting at one player in the dressing room and his response was 'Brendan never shouted at us'.
If this is true, and I feel it may be, I think its there in that one sentence, the whole difference in styles between BR and NL. It was like a eureka moment for me. All of a sudden I realised WHY.
WHY our players, who are still good players and still have done enough to get us over the line. WHY, since Lenny took over, they seem to have lost their edge, their fizz, their sparkle, call it what you like, we've all noticed it no matter whether you're a Lenny lover or not.
I believe the days of the hairdryer Manager are over. You cannot scream and shout at players, who are probably millionaires or close to it, and demean them in front of their team mates anymore. I believe BR knows this. His style is more about talking, calmly, to players, maybe pointing out areas he thinks they might need to improve, but not in a drill sergeants kind of way. There are rumours this was the reason for the Hibs dressing room revolt.
The old adage, 'you catch more flys with sugar than salt applies', I hope I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

So whether you're for or against NL getting the job, his style is vastly different from BR. Do you think this is the way forward in this day and age?
I know what I think.

I also have just read the piece BB and it's definately very interesting stuff. If the days of shouting/hairdryer style are indeed over at the top clubs. I worry for our game in general. BR was and is a special manager, though as a person his judgement can be questioned. With lenny, and it's impossible to compare them as similar, his style works also albeit in a different way. Players have too much influence and too much money for playing the game. This cotton wool approach can only work at clubs where players are paid top dollar for their services. It's obvious to me anyway that the hairdryer approach is the one used by slippy at castle greyskull to what must be said to be yielding underwhelming results. Watching some of our players recent performances have made me want to be that hairdryer at times. Is it no longer the game of the people but the game of the players? Looks like it and If so then the BR approach makes his the correct one at a club such as ours. This also would imply that lennys approach is now archaic at a club like ours. Whether that's true or not ? I dont know and I hope not. It is a crucial development maybe the biggest we've heard since lenny came in, would explain his demeanour in the ibrokes dugout. Would say to me his hands would be tied trying to take us forward. It's a pickle no two ways about it

I think you’ve got to look a bit deeper than that.

Why did Rodgers not feel the need to shout?

And why is it part of Lennon’s makeup/his style? Is he not getting his point across in the first place?

I think players can also smell weakness, and they’re obviously going to compare. Brendan Rodgers, whatever we think of him, was super professional, and dedicated.

I don’t think it’s any slight on Lenny to say we want someone better, someone more progressive etc.

The only criteria should be quality.

There has been a debate furiously raging over on CQN between many Celtic fans arguing passionately the reasons for and against appointing NL to the Managers job permanently. Notably between two of the most outspoken members of CQN. I'll not name them, they know who they are.

Now we all have our opinions on this. There have been all sorts of accusations and insults thrown around in a way that must be making our enemies howl with laughter. They like nothing more than to observe some Green on Green action. Lets face it, theres not much else in their lives, apart from marching around the streets snarling at anyone wearing green or attending a place of worship of one certain religion, (pssst its the same God as theirs).

Now my attention has been draw to an article claiming Frank McAvennie has stated NL was shouting at one player in the dressing room and his response was 'Brendan never shouted at us'.
If this is true, and I feel it may be, I think its there in that one sentence, the whole difference in styles between BR and NL. It was like a eureka moment for me. All of a sudden I realised WHY.
WHY our players, who are still good players and still have done enough to get us over the line. WHY, since Lenny took over, they seem to have lost their edge, their fizz, their sparkle, call it what you like, we've all noticed it no matter whether you're a Lenny lover or not.
I believe the days of the hairdryer Manager are over. You cannot scream and shout at players, who are probably millionaires or close to it, and demean them in front of their team mates anymore. I believe BR knows this. His style is more about talking, calmly, to players, maybe pointing out areas he thinks they might need to improve, but not in a drill sergeants kind of way. There are rumours this was the reason for the Hibs dressing room revolt.
The old adage, 'you catch more flys with sugar than salt applies', I hope I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

So whether you're for or against NL getting the job, his style is vastly different from BR. Do you think this is the way forward in this day and age?
I know what I think.

I suspect a lot of what you suggest about the different temperament of modern players is very correct, and the mega bucks even for some really average players is bad.

Rodgers is a liar. And he has the style of tell everybody what they want to hear while using psychological passive style of motivation.

Now when your dealing with Nambi Pambi fragile self obsessed players then shouting buse at them is likely to make them say screw you, especially if they have no real attachment or love of the club and have mercenary financial motivations and self adulation at its core.

But even in the superficial world we live right now, as soon as you are known liar, you are fecked. Your motivation of every single player under your control is burst.

Psychological shafting is also a contributory factor in causing mayhem in any team when its manifest and clear.

Now if you have lots of mercenaries at your club with fragile mindset when they are justly reprimanded then they are useless to your team. If the reprimand is not justified when shouting abuse it loses its power. If their are extreme liberal forces in your team then it will not stand.

Hierarchy needs to be respected and sometimes a public humility session if its needed can be useful, but you need to know the players mindset and their history to know who will respond and who will not and who will cause mayhem.

Anybody disgruntled needs to be asked why nd if its not justified they need punted or corrected through virtuous reasoning.

Now if your entire squad is full of vitriolic mindsets that think ego rather than team then you need to clear that Rott from the squad.

You also need to be promoting the correct virtue to maximise the utility a synergy of your team. Not an easy task.

You want to play at a champion mindset club you need proper virtue running through the team. A maverick or two can be useful if you can manage them, like wee Jinky. He had the talent but only through stein was it allowed to really thrive.

And I bet you when Big Jock chose his moments to put wee kinky in line he did it with aggressive gusto. Some players need that. Other players need cuddle when playing badly. But if you have any player in your team who gonna rock the boat through their wealth and personal ego over the team, especially if they are playing absolutely gash then he needs to go.

If you are not doing what the manager asks you and he goes berserk with you cause you think ill just do my own thing then he needs to be privately confronted and then perhaps publicly brought down a peg or two, and if that aint his bag coz he is a millionaire then bye bye. Might lose value on him but really that's coz he aint professional deserving of the high value.

Lots of cheap bargains have temperamental issues, so they look great when in new team but when their inner neurosis or inner pride gets up they will fall back into old habits unless they have a manger who can really utilise those types of players.

But at the end of the day Honesty is the thing.

Lennon is honest upfront emotional guy. If you don't like those types of guys and prefer Rodgers nd his superficial bullshit then your probably an ego rather than team guy.

The art of ego massaging is domain of liars. Short term liars can get away with it, but real champions won't work with liars. And real champions prefer their weaknesses exposed so they can work on them.

So if you play shite and your manager shouts at you and your dolls end up on the floor, its a sign your no really a proper champion.

And like players who get singled out for abuse on field cause they can play, the real champions laugh it up, and run straight at the bloke who just tried to snap his legs. Like wee Jinky again. Booted into air every game, but could you keep that wee guy down. Same with the entire team. Wee Bertie auld was another.

Now has society changed. Yes it has. But its changed for the vice rather than the virtue. So in my opinion the team who has virtuous players and treats them with virtue and sometimes righteous bluster can be very virtuous, that team will likely be champions.

Nambi Pambi millionaires need not apply.

JF 'hates' the idea of Neil Lennon getiting the gig to the point of personal, derogatory rantings; purely over-emotional, over-the-top defamation. Pretty distainful, some of it. Canamalar is a cynic who likes to wind him up, and others, but is behind the NFL appointment.

As far as BR/NFL comparisons go...

Rodgers is a good coach with a one-dimensional style which can be sicintillatingly dynamic when it clicks, and three tactical plans - Plan A, Plan A, and Plan A.

If plan A fails, Plan A comes into play, backed up by Plan A until we're fucked. Witness PSG, Barca, Red bull, Huns, Mini-Huns, Hibs.

Because Plan A worked so well 90% of the time in Scotland, the players loved the results, the adulation and gave BR their all.

But BR's record anywhere never extends beyond three years. After nearly three here, his Plan A was getting stymied more often, fans were getting restless and players getting stale, burning out in many cases.

Don't get me wrong - it's not unusual for many clubs to sustain top-level performances for such a length of time. What usually happens is the incumbent manager refreshes the squad and we go again.

BR wasn't interested; his ego dictates his choices- be that ditching his missus to play around in Liverpool when the spotlight was brightest, to ditching Celtic when the heat was rising.

BR manages for himself, more selfishly than a lot of bosses. He has to be the main man, or feel he's palled-up with the club's main man - his obsequious courtship of Gerrard through his Liverpool time, his one-to-one meetings and cap-doffing to Broon when joining-up at Celtic.
At Leicester, Jamie Vardy's got a new BFF.

His final actions spoke the real truths about the man - a midnight flit abandoning a massive fanbase and squad who's invested hope and joy in his methods. From legend to legned with one prideful move.

Neil Lennon, on the other hand, is a man who knows his limitations. He's endured ridiculous torment due to his Celtic disposition and background. He handled it, and returned for more, combative and experienced.

Steve Clarke wilted at the first wave of opproborium cast his way by the Monkeys. Neil Lennon laughs it off. He has a rare form of psychological armour that helps him cope in this environment - one of the reasons he is a fit for the job; the next two seasons will be of the ilk never seen here - deviant officiating and bare-arsed cheating will be maxed out.

Neil Lennon also still remains - to the great ire of the haters - a Celtic manager who beat the best club side on the planet with resources far depleted from even Ronny Deila's squad; and he did so by a 90-minute tactical masterpiece, forcing the world's finest midfielders to find a way around the Celtic defensive block rather than play through, and nullifying them best we could on the wings, while scoring from power-plays and riding our luck when it came.

If Rodgers had managed the same during his time, there would be a petition for a statue. But he didn't. Because Plan A is his emperor's new troos.

Whether NFL gets the nod ahead of some more glamorous candidate, we'll know soon. But ask yourself this - are the support - maybe even you - not exhibiting a little bit of Stockholm syndrome? So enrapt with the Rodgers glamour, they want it all over agan, including the raping at a crucial mid-season point when the south calls? Have we fallen in love with our abuser? Addicted to the joy and forgetting the pain?

There's no glamour with NFL. There's only experience, full knowledge of the society we operate in, the dark Hun machinery turning in the shadows to curse our historical attempts, and a man who's worn the Hoops and reached the highest pinnacles in them since the Lions of Lisboa.

He'll have to refresh and rebuild a squad because there's too much driftwood taking up jerseys now. Or some new heartthrob will saunter in with his own backroom staff, methods and tactics and we reset entirely, more or less. Continuity? Obliterated.

It narrows down to this - the players who will have to perform and carry the historical seasons must believe in the man calling the shots from the dugout, leading them day-to-day.

Who do you entrust the family silver to? More importantly, who do you entrust Celtic to?

My own strained opinion - the next two seasons can only belong to NFL. Secure the domestic history, as ugly as need be, let him retire a legend, then experiment with mangerial glamour and europe once more with whatever exotic name we can entice; like a 'Caxinha' perhaps...

I suspect a lot of what you suggest about the different temperament of modern players is very correct, and the mega bucks even for some really average players is bad.

Rodgers is a liar. And he has the style of tell everybody what they want to hear while using psychological passive style of motivation.

Now when your dealing with Nambi Pambi fragile self obsessed players then shouting buse at them is likely to make them say screw you, especially if they have no real attachment or love of the club and have mercenary financial motivations and self adulation at its core.

But even in the superficial world we live right now, as soon as you are known liar, you are fecked. Your motivation of every single player under your control is burst.

Psychological shafting is also a contributory factor in causing mayhem in any team when its manifest and clear.

Now if you have lots of mercenaries at your club with fragile mindset when they are justly reprimanded then they are useless to your team. If the reprimand is not justified when shouting abuse it loses its power. If their are extreme liberal forces in your team then it will not stand.

Hierarchy needs to be respected and sometimes a public humility session if its needed can be useful, but you need to know the players mindset and their history to know who will respond and who will not and who will cause mayhem.

Anybody disgruntled needs to be asked why nd if its not justified they need punted or corrected through virtuous reasoning.

Now if your entire squad is full of vitriolic mindsets that think ego rather than team then you need to clear that Rott from the squad.

You also need to be promoting the correct virtue to maximise the utility a synergy of your team. Not an easy task.

You want to play at a champion mindset club you need proper virtue running through the team. A maverick or two can be useful if you can manage them, like wee Jinky. He had the talent but only through stein was it allowed to really thrive.

And I bet you when Big Jock chose his moments to put wee kinky in line he did it with aggressive gusto. Some players need that. Other players need cuddle when playing badly. But if you have any player in your team who gonna rock the boat through their wealth and personal ego over the team, especially if they are playing absolutely gash then he needs to go.

If you are not doing what the manager asks you and he goes berserk with you cause you think ill just do my own thing then he needs to be privately confronted and then perhaps publicly brought down a peg or two, and if that aint his bag coz he is a millionaire then bye bye. Might lose value on him but really that's coz he aint professional deserving of the high value.

Lots of cheap bargains have temperamental issues, so they look great when in new team but when their inner neurosis or inner pride gets up they will fall back into old habits unless they have a manger who can really utilise those types of players.

But at the end of the day Honesty is the thing.

Lennon is honest upfront emotional guy. If you don't like those types of guys and prefer Rodgers nd his superficial bullshit then your probably an ego rather than team guy.

The art of ego massaging is domain of liars. Short term liars can get away with it, but real champions won't work with liars. And real champions prefer their weaknesses exposed so they can work on them.

So if you play shite and your manager shouts at you and your dolls end up on the floor, its a sign your no really a proper champion.

And like players who get singled out for abuse on field cause they can play, the real champions laugh it up, and run straight at the bloke who just tried to snap his legs. Like wee Jinky again. Booted into air every game, but could you keep that wee guy down. Same with the entire team. Wee Bertie auld was another.

Now has society changed. Yes it has. But its changed for the vice rather than the virtue. So in my opinion the team who has virtuous players and treats them with virtue and sometimes righteous bluster can be very virtuous, that team will likely be champions.

Nambi Pambi millionaires need not apply.

Fkn brilliant post yet again Tet. You should do this professionally.

1 thing. Am sure u meant wee jinky rather than wee kinky ????

JF 'hates' the idea of Neil Lennon getiting the gig to the point of personal, derogatory rantings; purely over-emotional, over-the-top defamation. Pretty distainful, some of it. Canamalar is a cynic who likes to wind him up, and others, but is behind the NFL appointment.

Rodgers is a good coach with a one-dimensional style which can be sicintillatingly dynamic when it clicks, and three tactical plans - Plan A, Plan A, and Plan A.

If plan A fails, Plan A comes into play, backed up by Plan A until we're fucked. Witness PSG, Barca, Red bull, Huns, Mini-Huns, Hibs.

Because Plan A worked so well 90% of the time in Scotland, the players loved the results, the adulation and gave BR their all.

But BR's record anywhere never extends beyond three years. After nearly three here, his Plan A was getting stymied more often, fans were getting restless and players getting stale, burning out in many cases.

Don't get me wrong - it's not unusual for many clubs to sustain top-level performances for such a length of time. What usually happens is the incumbent manager refreshes the squad and we go again.

BR wasn't interested; his ego dictates his choices- be that ditching his missus to play around in Liverpool when the spotlight was brightest, to ditching Celtic when the heat was rising.

BR manages for himself, more selfishly than a lot of bosses. He has to be the main man, or feel he's palled-up with the club's main man - his obsequious courtship of Gerrard through his Liverpool time, his one-to-one meetings and cap-doffing to Broon when joining-up at Celtic.

His final actions spoke the real truths about the man - a midnight flit abandoning a massive fanbase and squad who's invested hope and joy in his methods. From legend to legned with one prideful move.

Neil Lennon, on the other hand, is a man who knows his limitations. He's endured ridiculous torment due to his Celtic disposition and background. He handled it, and returned for more, combative and experienced.

Steve Clarke wilted at the first wave of opproborium cast his way by the Monkeys. Neil Lennon laughs it off. He has a rare form of psychological armour that helps him cope in this environment - one of the reasons he is a fit for the job; the next two seasons will be of the ilk never seen here - deviant officiating and bare-arsed cheating will be maxed out.

Neil Lennon also still remains - to the great ire of the haters - a Celtic manager who beat the best club side on the planet with resources far depleted from even Ronny Deila's squad; and he did so by a 90-minute tactical masterpiece, forcing the world's finest midfielders to find a way around the Celtic defensive block rather than play through, and nullifying them best we could on the wings, while scoring from power-plays and riding our luck when it came.

If Rodgers had managed the same during his time, there would be a petition for a statue. But he didn't. Because Plan A is his emperor's new troos.

Whether NFL gets the nod ahead of some more glamorous candidate, we'll know soon. But ask yourself this - are the support - maybe even you - not exhibiting a little bit of Stockholm syndrome? So enrapt with the Rodgers glamour, they want it all over agan, including the raping at a crucial mid-season point when the south calls? Have we fallen in love with our abuser? Addicted to the joy and forgetting the pain?

There's no glamour with NFL. There's only experience, full knowledge of the society we operate in, the dark Hun machinery turning in the shadows to curse our historical attempts, and a man who's worn the Hoops and reached the highest pinnacles in them since the Lions of Lisboa.

He'll have to refresh and rebuild a squad because there's too much driftwood taking up jerseys now. Or some new heartthrob will saunter in with his own backroom staff, methods and tactics and we reset entirely, more or less. Continuity? Obliterated.

It narrows down to this - the players who will have to perform and carry the historical seasons must believe in the man calling the shots from the dugout, leading them day-to-day.

Who do you entrust the family silver to? More importantly, who do you entrust Celtic to?

My own strained opinion - the next two seasons can only belong to NFL. Secure the domestic history, as ugly as need be, let him retire a legend, then experiment with mangerial glamour and europe once more with whatever exotic name we can entice; like a 'Caxinha' perhaps...

Never a caravan barker, jist dinnae dae that ?

It was on one of them old Lisbon Lions documentaries.

Jock knew id he told them all to stay in their rooms, wee Jinky would be first out the hotel in the clubs, so he said if you have to go out stay close by this town is mental, normally id tell you all to stay in the hotel but ive heard all the most beautiful prostitutes come to this hotel and they will con their way into your rooms and some of you lot will be up to no good giving the club a bad name. Now most if not all the players were married and virtuous and that was not their bad. But wee Jinky thought, none of these dudes will be interested so they can all come into my room. So he sat up for hours waiting in hotel for these beautiful dirty woman to turn up. everybody else was in bed. eventually Jinky got knackered and all the streets were empty and after a few beers ended up falling asleep in his room waiting for the knocks on the door.

hahaha

Now I may have got some of that mixed up, but I'm sure it was jinky telling that tale, and it was something along those lines.

It was on one of them old Lisbon Lions documentaries.

Jock knew id he told them all to stay in their rooms, wee Jinky would be first out the hotel in the clubs, so he said if you have to go out stay close by this town is mental, normally id tell you all to stay in the hotel but ive heard all the most beautiful prostitutes come to this hotel and they will con their way into your rooms and some of you lot will be up to no good giving the club a bad name. Now most if not all the players were married and virtuous and that was not their bad. But wee Jinky thought, none of these dudes will be interested so they can all come into my room. So he sat up for hours waiting in hotel for these beautiful dirty woman to turn up. everybody else was in bed. eventually Jinky got knackered and all the streets were empty and after a few beers ended up falling asleep in his room waiting for the knocks on the door.

hahaha

Now I may have got some of that mixed up, but I'm sure it was jinky telling that tale, and it was something along those lines.

Great story, TET. But I thought Jinky was married . . . which is neither here nor there, but . . . :rolleyes:

maybe he was but that story was from him in one of the many videos with the old lions reminiscing.

been trolling through youtube trying to get a hit

but couldn't find it. found a weird archive clip of the players in Argentina, silent but interesting none the less.

Shows how things have changed can you imagine the team going to mass before a big game as a team

You laid it all out there for me. Honesty is something i value very highly, even when it slits my own throat.

Best post ever because it lays out, in perfect clarity for me, the best argument ever for NFL continuing as Celtic manager.

I personally think its very hard to manage when only on interim basis. It is too easy to be undermined.

Perhaps thats why NFL is going with the snakes style just now.

If he is made manager on permanent basis then it allows him power.

Players..... beware who your fucking with

Thanx all for your input. TeT and Sandman very well put both of you but what i was getting at was only how our squad are now. Not next season or the one after, NOW. What I mean is it finally hit me that our players are not used to being shouted at. Ronnie was hardly that type of Manager either was he? It might work on some but I dont think many in this day and age. I bet Pep's not a shouter either or Mouriniho or Klopp, (well maybe jist a we bit), but you get my point. I know ye's love Lenny for all the flack he's took an all that but do you really think players will want to sign up for that treatment today? I reckon Moyes is a bit of a screamer too. In fact a lot of the Scottish managers probably are. We need to get with the 21st century. Players are different these days. Ive heard Lenny doesnt put much store by sports science either, honest the more I think about him an Parker the more it dissuades me. Take young Dembele, a very promising youngster, how do you think his parents and advisors would react to lenny giving him both barrels? He'd be off like a shot. Its that kind of thing that worries me. Our present bunch are doing well despite of these outbursts, not because of them it seems to me, no matter what happens today or next week, expect a flood of transfer requests.
Must get some kip just finished 13 hour shift.

I see Vincent Kompany has left MC to be Player/Manager of Anderlecht, he's 33, same age as Broonie.
I suggested this could be an option for US with Broonie a few weeks ago and was shot down in flames as most seemed to think Broonie was too young or not ready yet.
I dont see the difference, both are natural leaders, both are winners. Time will tell if VK is successful or not and Anderlecht arnt going for 9iar, but just saying, its not impossible.

I see Vincent Kompany has left MC to be Player/Manager of Anderlecht, he's 33, same age as Broonie.
I suggested this could be an option for US with Broonie a few weeks ago and was shot down in flames as most seemed to think Broonie was too young or not ready yet.
I dont see the difference, both are natural leaders, both are winners. Time will tell if VK is successful or not and Anderlecht arnt going for 9iar, but just saying, its not impossible.

I agree with broony making a great manager.

Has he got his coaching badges ?

Am sorry i thought they where men. Fs wit they wantin... cuddled and patronised there there. Fkn grow a set i say.

We have a generation of football players who would fold if they got the old hair drier treatment. Jeezo, if ever a bollocking was needed it was last week after another no show at the bigotdome.
I hope Lenny got ripped right into them, or are they only allowed praise when things are going well, sorry lads but it works both ways. Suck it up and show NFL and the fans what you're made of

Members online

Back